Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 42, SUMMER 2026

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    First cook on the other day on my new toy: a Weber insert for the 22” kettles. See my review elsewhere. (Have you seen one of these?)

    Yeah, it kinda got away from me by the time I got MY buns off the hot side. :-/ mmm
    But that’s what happens when I always make sure that everyone else is sorted first.

    And yes, there’s jalapeños in there because that’s how I like mine. ;-)
    I used provolone, as did my SO, but the “boy” had cheese in a can. Trying not to judge. LOL​

    I had planned on using rib eye…but they just didn’t look great. Even the prime ones. So grabbed a couple prime NY strips and away we went.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2026-07-30-120702.jpg Views:	15 Size:	138.9 KB ID:	1872759

    Comment


      I am definately gonna try that meatloaf on the smoker. It looks fantastic!

      Comment


      • bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        A kiss of smoke makes the meatloaf go down

      Another day…another foray into the unknown. LOL

      I used to go to this place in Long Beach, CA called Tequila Jack’s. Pretty basic Mexican fare…but…the one standout was their blackened swordfish burrito. Try as a I might, I never ordered anything else. Because everything else was pretty basic, standard Mexican food found at countless restaurants. At some point they stopped serving it. What the..? >:-/ But that was some time ago.

      Fast forward to the other night and same ol’ question pops up, “What do you want for dinner?” Mmm ;-)

      So I suggest the aforementioned blackened swordfish burrito. Ok, we’ll try it.

      To say that it was a hit is quite the understatement. Looks like another trip to Dry Dock Fish Co. drydockfish.com for those in SoCal.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2026-07-30-122242.jpg Views:	13 Size:	215.7 KB ID:	1872764
      Mine as usual. I get the leftover bits. LOL

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2026-07-30-122301.jpg Views:	14 Size:	129.4 KB ID:	1872765
      And my overstuffed burrito… Along with the swordfish, we have some refried black beans, a little cheese, a little sour cream, and a roasted salsa verde. Which reminds me, the tomatillo plants are hating life right now. :-/

      Comment


      • surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn Wow, small world! I used to LOVE their blackened swordfish burrito…to the point that I NEVER ordered anything else. Like I said, everything else seemed pretty standard fare for a Mexican restaurant. This though was special. So made it myself. ;-)

        And yeah, I’ve been a big fan of ‘Yardy” for…um…forever. LOL They’re still great.
        I used to take my kids to one at “Happy Hour” because it started so early. We’d sit outside..,they ordered every ap under the sun. LOL And I could get a pint.

      • SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        surfdog I wouldn’t be surprised if I waited on you! Of course, that depends on when. I wanna say….. 1995-1996. I was on the floor for a while, then moved upstairs to admin. It was right when the 2nd location opened in Costa Mesa (triangle 17th street)

      • surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn Probably! LOL We had moved from London to Hermosa Beach by then. Even after we moved inland we would go because we were pass holders at the aquarium. The years are a bit of a jumble in my mind…but it’s safe to say that I was probably there at some point when you were.

      I can relate to that. I still dream of a blackened ribeye I used to get in Feldman’s wrong way Diner in Canyon, Tx. It was so good. It wasn’t on the menu but if you asked for it they would gladly make you one.

      Comment


        Breakfast for dinner on the slate tonight.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2408.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	1872848

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2409.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	1872849

        Comment


        • Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice, Rick! Are those sausage quarter pounders?

        • rmeugene
          rmeugene commented
          Editing a comment
          Sid, I believe they are...they were part of the package when we had our 1/2 pig processed. Very good.

        • surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Not a “breakfast for dinner” guy but it does look good.

        Okay this is a stretch for the thread, but I'm not only a rebel but lazy. I will say it was delicious. A totally unique taste and the crust was fantastic! Trader Joe's, yes.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	20260730_181145.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	1872855 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260730_183046.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	2.07 MB
ID:	1872856

        Comment


        • Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          The thread is called "Show Us What You’re Cooking", so this qualifies!

        • captainlee
          captainlee commented
          Editing a comment
          Good job!!!

        • surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Not sure if they still sell it, but TJ used to have a pizza margherita that was REALLY good. The first time I had it was after a long day and my Italian (& trained sommelier boss) asked if I wanted some wine on my way home. (Work was between his house & mine.) “Sure…” Along with great wine I could pick his brains off the clock.
          We had wine as expected, and he asked if I wanted some pizza. Thinking HE made it I said yes. It was really good. And then he dropped the bomb. It came from TJs. O_O
          Last edited by surfdog; July 31, 2026, 08:52 PM. Reason: Spelling & clarity

        I asked my husband what he wanted me to cook and, he said, "Jambalaya."
        It isn't fancy, but it is good.

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6637.jpg Views:	0 Size:	249.7 KB ID:	1872865

        Comment


        • Carolyn
          Carolyn commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc Thanks.
          For a change, I browned the sausage as usual and then added the water and cooked it down with the vegetables, which is why, I think, there is a little more color than usual in my Jambalaya. I never did that before fearing the sausage would be overcooked, but to my surprise, it wasn't. I browned and steamed boneless chicken thighs and added them at the end, so they wouldn't be overcooked. One thing I will never do is cook the chicken down with the jambalaya. 😬

        • fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Good to know, Carolyn . I brown the sausage, remove it and set it aside and use the drippings to cook the veggies, then add it back toward the end of the cook. Andouille sausage has so much flavor on its own that I don't think it needs to soak up the seasonings from the pot for very long. Good call on the chicken. Honestly, I add smoked chicken to jambalaya if I have it. Like you, I add it at the end because it's already cooked.

          K.

        • Carolyn
          Carolyn commented
          Editing a comment
          fzxdoc I also use the drippings. I usually add all of the meat at the end, but I had been watching some vids on how people make their Jambalaya, and they tend to put the meats in early, so I thought I would try it. It will be good no matter which method you use as long as you have enough seasonings in it.

        Boudin stuffed pork chop and green beans……..

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6531.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	1872871

        Comment


        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John you better check yo’self!! 🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

        • bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Best use of dead pig -- pig stuffed in pig; green beans seasoned with pig.
          You Done Did Good.

        • Sid P
          Sid P commented
          Editing a comment
          bbqLuv This was a great time for one of your famous poems….

        Wings are one of my favorite meals. But they are sooooo expensive (we eat on a budget). I found the good old '2 for 1' deal at my local Kroger. So, I bought 22 wings for $10. 20 wings at my local Wingstop are $30.

        Tried a simple recipe I found while reading a BBQ book I recently bought. Smoked on my Weber/Vortex, these wings came out great. Tasty by themselves or would go great with a dipping sauce. I used Ranch Dressing. But mustard sauce, BBQ sauce, vinegar sauce, Buffalo sauce, etc. would go beautifully with these wings.

        Unless you are slicing the meat for plating, I think pics from the grill are better than plated pics.

        My wonderful wife made a Tomato Galette using our neighbors' fresh tomatoes. It was delicious.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004535.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	1872938

        Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004537.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	1872939

        Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004539.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	1.94 MB
ID:	1872940

        Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004543.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	2.35 MB
ID:	1872941

        Comment


        • Skinsfan1311
          Skinsfan1311 commented
          Editing a comment
          Is there a reason/advantage in having the Vortex upside down?

        • TripleB
          TripleB commented
          Editing a comment
          Skinsfan1311 Ha, ha. You're right. I was focusing on the wings and put the Vortex in upside down. Did not make any difference as the wings were roasted beautifully and moist. It might have helped in keeping the temps between 375 and 400d. I'll have to see next time. Nice catch.

        • surfdog
          surfdog commented
          Editing a comment
          Skinsfan1311 already posted my question. ;-)
          But I have to add…that galette looks delicious.

          I think I’m “on the hook” for wings tomorrow.

        Traegerized Burger and Tillamook Cheddar Cheeseburgers

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3078.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	1872948

        Comment


          Hamburgers on homemade buns with zucchini bites.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	1873045
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2678.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	1873047
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2679.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	3.24 MB
ID:	1873046

          Comment


          • DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            fzxdoc Hi Kathryn, we use them within 3 months the latest. We wrap in cellophane and then place in a ziplock bag. This works pretty good for us so far.

          • fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, David, for the additional information. I don't wrap individually before putting in a bag, so I'll try that.

            Kathryn

          • hoovarmin
            hoovarmin commented
            Editing a comment
            That looks so satisfying

          Might not seem like it but I ain’t had a Porterhouse in a bit. 😵‍💫 While at HEB today I had the butcher cut me a 1 1/2” thick Prime Porterhouse. Reverse seared it on the SNS Master Kettle and had some sauteed mushrooms on the side. Served with some Checkers Rally fries, those things ain’t bad! Seasoned the steak with just a little Kosher salt and pepper.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6543.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	1873081

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6545.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	4.05 MB
ID:	1873084

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6554.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	1873083


          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6546.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	1873080

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6564.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	3.39 MB
ID:	1873082

          Comment


          • klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            When I was there you fed me cereal

          • WI Bubba
            WI Bubba commented
            Editing a comment
            klflowers He let you go inside? I had to order Uber Eats to the driveway.

          • Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Y’all should know better than to come around on steak night…..

          Chuck roast cooked sous vide for 30 hr at 132F. Seared on the Weber gasser. Served with au jus and Richard Chrz potatoes. Better than prime rib.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260801_015455727.MP.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	4.45 MB
ID:	1873117
          Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260801_020538286.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	1873118

          Comment


          • fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            O.M.G.

            🤩🤩🤩

          • Jfrosty27
            Jfrosty27 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow! 😳😳😳

          • SheilaAnn
            SheilaAnn commented
            Editing a comment
            Now I want to go find a good chick roast…wowza

          Spares & Tex-Mex beans..

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20260801_181938.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	1873326

          Click image for larger version

Name:	20260801_182555.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	1873327

          Comment


          • surfdog
            surfdog commented
            Editing a comment
            That all sounds great.
            Still working on my beans game. Guess what they don’t teach at a French cooking school? LOL

          Chicken on the LSG pooper, with a test run of the RFX probes. Both turned out very well.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260801_232123447.RAW-01.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	1873331
          Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260801_233500431.RAW-01.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	3.23 MB
ID:	1873332

          Comment

          Announcement

          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          0
          Guest
          Guest
          500
          ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
          7