Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 42, SUMMER 2026

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #91
    This was from Sunday. I've been wanting to try this for a while: smoked pork sausage roll. I saw some here do this a year or two ago (you know who you are) and thought it would be cool. I had this frozen sausage roll in the freezer forever, so I figured I would make soup, specifically sausage lentil.

    And because the temps are in the 100's this week and soup is good food.

    Here's the setup, low and slow with some hickory and briquettes:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260628_122548.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	1864875
    Ready to smoke, 1 pound roll (454g Canadian):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260628_122650.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	1864874
    Smoked; it smelled great:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260628_154010.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	2.06 MB
ID:	1864876
    Reserved the fat for my sofrito, this is my 7 L pressure cooker....it's a long way to the bottom:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260628_194817.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	1864877
    Added garlic, bay leaves, fish sauce, 1 lb green lentils, lemon juice, 1 quart of homemade chicken stock, 1 pint of leftover chicken broth, 1 pint of water, some ground black pepper.

    Cooked on high pressure for 15 minutes, natural release. Next day's lunch:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260629_125012.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1864873
    It was good, but not great. It was missing something: maybe more sausage. Anyhow, when something is missing, it's usually acid or salt. I splashed some red wine vinegar the second meal I at this, and it improved it. Anyhow, I rate this one a 'B'. Very hearty meal.

    Note: I lived in Portugal for 2 months one summer, and they generally eat soup with every lunch or dinner, hot or cold. So I'm not too far off base here, lol.



    Comment


    • HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      We use hot Italian sausage in our lentil soup.

    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      randy.56 , honestly, I wasn't paying attention, but about 2-3 hours. It was hard to tell, since when it hit about 150F, I just closed the vent and damper and let the residual heat of the Kamander finish the job.

    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      HawkerXP, I like Italian sausage for lentil soup, too. I have an issue with fennel seeds (it's personal, lol), so I have to dodge those.

    #92
    No wrap. No baste. No Spritz. Five hours at 225°.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20260702_105024~2.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	1864930
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20260702_110813~2.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	2.45 MB
ID:	1864931
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20260702_110831~2.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	2.65 MB
ID:	1864932
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20260702_112027~2.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	1864933

    Comment


    • theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Heck yeah!

    • surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s how I do mine. And have for decades. I didn’t even know wrapping was a thing…and by time I learned of it my attitude was, “If it ain’t broke…”

    #93
    Broke out the fancy plates for steak night. Fresh baked yeast rolls and asperagus rounds it out

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260702_190919.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	5.11 MB
ID:	1864997

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260702_190910.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	4.75 MB
ID:	1864998

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260702_191031.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	1864999

    Comment


    • Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent!

    • bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Very good, picture perfect. That steak looks fantastic.

      How did you season the asparagus?

    • texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Lowreys, parm (the trashy stuff in a green tube), bread crumbs, and olive oil. bbqLuv

    #94
    ​Low carb ground chicken crust pizza


    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2996.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	1865011 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2997.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	1865012 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2998.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	1865013

    Pairs well with a low carb beer.

    Comment


      #95
      Two whole chickens split in half. One bird for the young neighbor couple next door (good kids). Two day salt dry brine and tenderized with a light coating of lime juice (a Kent Rollins tip). We now have a county wide burn ban so wood & charcoal is out for the foreseeable future (probably till November). Cooked these on the OK Joe Gas unit. Rub was Game Hen Rub and sauced with Spicy Apricot Glaze (both inspired by Tuffy Stone from his book "Cool Smoke". Alder wood for a light touch of smoke. Riding side saddle on the plate is a loaded green leaf salad.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	A8943098-57D4-457F-AB8C-84520AB65C0E.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	1865016 Click image for larger version  Name:	25EBA7C7-060A-4AC2-820E-6423D4625547.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.34 MB ID:	1865017 Click image for larger version  Name:	7D7BEA4E-9EDE-4EC6-997A-2AA61847CE79.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.44 MB ID:	1865018

      Comment


        #96
        Garlic shrimp risotto

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0384.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1865031

        Comment


        • Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Simple yet elegant.

        • theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn

        • cruiseplanner1
          cruiseplanner1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wonderful dish.

        #97
        Many of you saw my "What to do with ground elk?" thread and this evening I was at HEB and noticed the ground elk was now $2 off each $12.99/lb package. I grabbed the last two (checking the use by dates....which were 7/17, so I don't think they were clearing it out).

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2338.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	1865044

        I have never had elk, to my knowledge, so I wanted to do something simple that would not mask or obscure the flavor of the meat, so I did some very basic tacos.

        I got some avocado oil going in a cast iron skillet and added some sliced white onion (the onion with no flavor, lol; again, trying not to mask the meat).

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2339.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	1865041

        Once those got an appropriate head start and were starting to take on some color, I added in the ground elk. I seasoned with a good dusting of Meat Church's Holy Cow, my go-to beef rub, which is basically salt, pepper, garlic, and paprika oil.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2340.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	3.62 MB
ID:	1865043

        As I expected, elk is quite lean...some fat rendered out, but not much. No need to drain here. It did crumble quite well due to the lack of fat. I was careful not to overcook it.

        I had some warned up street-taco sized corn tortillas into which I put the elk, and some cheese, and cilantro. (I, of course, did some bites of the elk before putting it in the tacos.)

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	1865042

        Honestly, this was delicious. It is so difficult to describe, though! It's flavorful and I almost want to say 'beefy,' but it does not taste like beef. It isn't as strong as lamb, though. Sorta in between ground brisket and lamb for intensity. It was a very welcome break from "ground beef." I have to remember this is commercial ground elk; I can only imagine how good elk is when you hunt it yourself.

        I am glad I started with the simple tacos; I really see how the flavor could be easily masked in a dish. Still, with that said, I think this would be phenomenal in chili.

        I've got the second pack in the freezer for later (and yes, I did notice they are 14 and not 16 oz) and also while at HEB I noticed they had ground venison and ground bison. So much to explore.

        Comment


        • Ace
          Ace commented
          Editing a comment
          I have mixed deer trimmings with pork butt and had excellent flavor results. 😊

        • Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Postscript 2: I just reheated some in the microwave. This is good....the flavor is so hard to describe. I think what I am struggling with is that the flavor-to-fat ratio is intense; that is, so much flavor compared with so little fat. Don't get me wrong, I've had NY Strips with more flavor, but this is unique and I rather like it. And there is just something about it that screams chili.

          Ace, SheilaAnn

        • Ace
          Ace commented
          Editing a comment
          Do it...YOLO 😉

        #98
        Got the smoke rollin' early this morning at work. A couple full racks of pork spares smoked with cherry and hickory wood for my work fam. Not the best full rack pics as I was facing the sun. Finished product was perfect. First time using a water pan on the stone deflector under the Fireboard Ring. Solid outcome. My assistant manager Lily asked her mom to make charro beans... the best charro beans I've ever had. Lunch was ready promptly at noon. My timing is getting better lol.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	20260702_105832.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	1865053 Click image for larger version  Name:	20260702_120322.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.36 MB ID:	1865055 Click image for larger version  Name:	20260702_123100.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.15 MB ID:	1865052 Click image for larger version  Name:	20260702_123132.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.64 MB ID:	1865054 https://youtube.com/shorts/UYHIOqLmX...KR6ddTB7XXBZpxhttps://youtube.com/shorts/UYHIOqLmX...KR6ddTB7XXBZpx
        https://youtube.com/shorts/hKE2wQSQR...p_4i-cVNwdoQ-Vhttps://youtube.com/shorts/hKE2wQSQR...p_4i-cVNwdoQ-V
        Last edited by Hulagn1971; July 2, 2026, 09:47 PM.

        Comment


        • Michael_in_TX
          Michael_in_TX commented
          Editing a comment
          Having done baby backs since like forever, I forget just how large whole spares are!

        • cruiseplanner1
          cruiseplanner1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ribs look great but those beans sure look fine also

        #99
        Another round of bruschetta pasta with a side of teriyaki green beans and onions.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4556.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	1865085

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4555.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1865086



        ...

        Comment


        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Green beans look so good!

        So, every year, our neighbors have a 4th of July cookout. They typically do pulled pork with their own custom sauces from peppers they grow themselves. This year I decided to do a Meatball side dish. Simple, easily google-able Italian beef meatball recipe, but with the sauce from Meathead's Moink! Balls recipe.

        Grass-fed beef, 2lbs, seasoned, smoked on the grill with Hickory wood, sprinkled with MMD, then dunked into the sauce in the slow cooker.

        On the pit barrel:

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6272.jpg Views:	0 Size:	7.22 MB ID:	1865178
        In the slow cooker:

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6273.jpg Views:	0 Size:	5.47 MB ID:	1865177

        We will see how many of these I have left at the end of the night!

        update: had some leftovers! So a little beef broth to keep em moist, and into the oven at 400 degrees for a reheat!

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6274.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	4.88 MB
ID:	1865400
        Last edited by dpearce; July 4, 2026, 09:32 AM.

        Comment


        My wife's birthday dinner. Picanha, dry brined a few hours. Nothing but salt. About 30 minutes on rotisserie with some oak. Brazilian cheese bread and Caesar salad. This stuff is delicious!

        Click image for larger version

Name:	20260703_171155.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	1865225 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260703_174716.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	3.10 MB
ID:	1865227 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260703_175231.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	1865226 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260703_175620.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	1865228

        Comment


        • cruiseplanner1
          cruiseplanner1 commented
          Editing a comment
          So nice. Cooked my first Picanha steak a week ago and my wife loved it. Wants me to do another for her

        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          We sell that Brazilian cheese bread at work!

        • HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          You made my go-to dinner (seriously), the whole thing. Picanha, pao de queijo and Caesare salad. Looks delicious. Well done, pitmaster!

        Chuck beef ribs on the Kettle, and its now the evening sun, and no , they're not done yet ..................

        Click image for larger version

Name:	20260703_174455.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	1865233

        Comment


          Got a 16 lb. prime brisket at Costco, only had a little over 2 lbs. of trim.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1485.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	2.41 MB
ID:	1865241 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1486.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	2.19 MB
ID:	1865240

          Seasoned up and about 5 hours into cook.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1488.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	1865242 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1490.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	1865243

          12 hour cook and a 12 hour hold at 140 degrees.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1491.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1865244 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1492.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	3.15 MB
ID:	1865245



          Comment


          • bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Only 2 lbs. of trim? That is nice.
            Brisket is looking pretty good to me. I'd eat that and not think twice.
            Great looking bark.
            Last edited by bbqLuv; July 6, 2026, 10:33 AM.

          • Bogy
            Bogy commented
            Editing a comment
            Brisket looks great. 12 hours is longer than the normal hold, but wrapped and in a cooler a brisket will often only be down to 170 to 180 after 4 to 5 hours. Holding at 140 doesn't mean it will actually get down to 140 after 12 hours.

          • HotSun
            HotSun commented
            Editing a comment
            Dang, you nailed this wrgilb.

          I had been craving a Sonoran Hot Dog so today was the day to do something about it. Quick cook on the mini gasser, then everything piled on top.

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2701.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	2.95 MB
ID:	1865269

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2704.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	4.49 MB
ID:	1865270

          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2711.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	1865271

          Comment


          • HotSun
            HotSun commented
            Editing a comment
            Just beautiful. Wow.

          Wings on the Vortex. Sprinkled em all with some Harley’s Texas Style BBQ and All Purpose Seasoning. I did 4 using Hulagn1971 ‘s recommendation of Carolina Treet BBQ sauce and 4 of em dry, and later mixing em with some Franks’s Hot Sauce and butter……delicious!

          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6474.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.70 MB ID:	1865278

          Top 4 after using Carolina Treet and the bottom 4 with Frank’s.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6476.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	1865279

          Comment


          • bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a meal. You done did good.

          • Michael_in_TX
            Michael_in_TX commented
            Editing a comment
            The only way to do wings.

        Announcement

        Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        0
        Guest
        Guest
        500
        ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
        7