Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 42, SUMMER 2026

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7025.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	1871780 I had a big bag of shrimp thawed and the wifey wanted scampi. Easy peasy. Nothing fancy. Just the classic recipe. It needed some color, some herbs of some sort. It looked pretty bland and boring. But it didn’t taste like it looked! Very tasty.

    Comment


    • fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      With the cyclospora scare still going strong, we're not using fresh herbs either, unless they come from my small herb garden. Your dish looks delicious despite being herbless.

      Kathryn

    Had some shaitweather saturday.. so made a chili con carne/texmex stew...
    and yes.. corns, carrot and blackbeans included..
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260725_162210.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	2.83 MB
ID:	1871803 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260725_163557.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	3.61 MB
ID:	1871804

    Comment


    • Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm starting to try some of Tabasco's other sauces....they all seem quite good, so far!

    • Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the Tabasco Habanero and Tabasco Chipotle Michael_in_TX

    I’ve been looking for a stuffed peppers recipe with brown rice that looked good for a while, but haven’t found one. Today at noon was already 95° outside with 113° real feel, so I decided to hack up an unstuffed pepper casserole using Rao’s marinara sauce and Uncle Ben’s pre cooked brown rice. Turned out pretty good for something different and wife has already said she’d gladly eat again.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6111.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1871870

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6109.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1871871

    Comment


    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Love it! “Deconstructed” stuffed peppers!

    Thighs…

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2658.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	3.90 MB
ID:	1871907
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2659.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	4.25 MB
ID:	1871908

    Comment


      We may need bigger plates

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260726_113019.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	3.22 MB
ID:	1871918

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260726_171651.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	1871919

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260726_172056.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	1871920

      Comment


      Ribs, St. Louis with Meathheads Pork Rub/ Brine overnight. On the PBJ 5.5 hours, Cowboy charcoal. . One rack going to my daughter's family. Quite tasty and meaty. McRib sandwich on a brioche roll o the horizon.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260726_180933.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1871947

      Comment


      • Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        You know I’ve never done the McRib at home. I need to change that.

      Brisket stuffed baked potato. The potatoes were stuffed with butter, cheese, brisket, sour cream, bbq sauce, and green onions. The potatoes were rubbed with beef tallow and sprinkled with SPOG before cooking them. Great way to use leftover meat.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2905.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	5.49 MB
ID:	1871971

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2908.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	1871972

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2911.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	1871973

      Comment


      • Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't had this in way, way too long!

      • klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        That is purty

      • Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ohh yesss!

      This was a fun little dish. Brian Lagerstrom has a video in which he makes New England-style lobster rolls, but with Argentinian Red Shrimp instead of lobster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43faOzwh7nc

      As my wife is deathly allergic to shellfish, I rarely get to make anything with shrimp, but she was out tonight, so I gave this cook a try!

      It's an incredibly simple cook....so much so I didn't even bother to put the recipe in OneNote and just memorized it.

      In a pot, get 3 L (Brian does love his metric) of water combined with 120 g of salt, 90 g of sugar, the juice of one large lemon and the two halves of the lemon you just juiced. Bring it to a good simmer, then take it off the heat and dump in a little over one pound of Argentinian Red Shrimp. (I was quite happy to see that my HEB carries these, already peeled and deveined, too.)

      I promise you there are some shrimp in here.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2426.jpg Views:	16 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	1871978

      After three minutes, remove the shrimp and set on a paper-towel lined sheet tray.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2427.jpg Views:	17 Size:	3.45 MB ID:	1871980

      Place the tray in the refrigerator for twenty minutes to cool completely. To make the sauce, combine 1/2 cup of mayo (I used Duke's as Brian recommends), some salt, lemon zest, lemon juice, and about a 1/3 cup of diced fresh chives.

      (Brian mixes the sauce in with the shrimp directly, but as I knew I wanted to have this tomorrow as well, I made the sauce separately so the lemon juice in the sauce didn't continue to 'cook' the shrimp overnight.)

      Dice up your cooled shrimp into about 1/2 inch pieces. Try not to eat all of them. This will be very hard to do, but I believe in you. Using some paper towels, get as much residual water off of them as you can.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2428.jpg Views:	17 Size:	3.55 MB ID:	1871982

      I eyeballed it, but about 1/4 of the shrimp is enough for one roll. I was making two, so I took half the shrimp and combined it with half of the sauce.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2429.jpg Views:	17 Size:	3.35 MB ID:	1871979

      Toast some top-split brioche buns. (I now use my air fryer for toasting rolls....it is just perfect....390 F for 2 minutes and they are done.) Spread the shrimp-sauce mixture in a bun. Sprinkle just a little bit of black pepper on top, followed by some more chives.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2430.jpg Views:	17 Size:	3.38 MB ID:	1871981

      This was good. For the price, it is an excellent facsimile of a lobster roll! I was not prepared for just how refreshing it was....perfect summer dinner!

      Being in Texas, I've always been very much a Texas Gulf Shrimp person, but these shrimp were just delicious. I think I actually might prefer them to my standard fare. They're briny with a nice amount of sweetness.

      When I make these again tomorrow, I'm not going to use quite so much sauce. It was bit acidic. I think I put too much lemon juice in the sauce. I'm normally a Hellman's guy, but I did appreciate the twang of Duke's in this dish.

      Good stuff!
      Last edited by Michael_in_TX; July 26, 2026, 08:06 PM.

      Comment


      • SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        I get the Argentinian pink shrimp at wild fork.

      • Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        I made scampi from the red shrimp from Wild Fork last night. I really like that variety. I’m going to try this next time. A great idea!!

      • klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Great idea! Adding it to the to do list

      Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	11 Size:	668 Bytes ID:	1871992​Stuffed/smoked meatloaf on the "Bull".

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	1871990

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2404.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	1871991

      Comment


      • Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        Stuffed meatloaf....now that is something I have never done.....

      • Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        I did this last year. I loved it. The wifey hated it. So…..
        No more stuffed meatloaf for me. ☹️

      • rmeugene
        rmeugene commented
        Editing a comment
        The first time I brought this up, my wife said "I hate loaves of meat". Now she is the one asking me to make this. The only modification I make is using Boursin cheese and chicken broth instead of the wine.

      Smash Burgers….New Mexico style 😎

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	1871996

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1069.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	2.03 MB
ID:	1871994

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	1871995

      Comment


      • Elton's BBQ
        Elton's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks veery good!

      Another meal using some goodies I bought recently in Lafayette with 58limited I ain’t never done did heard of chorizo boudin before, but we found this at one of our stops, NuNus. It was very good and actually tasted like it sounds, if you were to cross chorizo and boudin.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6522.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.12 MB ID:	1872000

      I smoked it on the kettle along with some andouille sausage from the same trip.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6526.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.55 MB ID:	1872001

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6524.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.79 MB ID:	1871998

      Served with some cabbage I made a few nights ago. Simple cook but very good! The ambiance of the meal was visually enhanced by serving it on my luxurious, high end dinnerware.


      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6527.jpg Views:	10 Size:	2.01 MB ID:	1872004
      Last edited by Panhead John; July 26, 2026, 07:43 PM.

      Comment


      • Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        That color....!

      • barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Alright!!! Giant sized Brussels!!!!!!!!!

      • klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Where did you steal that fancy plate from?

      Friday we celebrated two birthdays - my daughter (29) and her husband (37), whose birthdays were Friday and Saturday respectively. My daugther wanted hibachi, so I busted out the big guns, and fired up the Camp Chef griddle.

      Started with chicken on one end, while I did onions and such a the other for the fried rice.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6299.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	3.88 MB
ID:	1872030

      Towards the end of the cook, as I dropped a half dozen eggs into a spot in the middle of the rice, I moved on to shrimp for an alternate protein. The shrimp were a huge hit, seasoned with just salt and pepper on the griddle, and then tossed with Bachan's Japanese BBQ sauce.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6301.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	1872031

      I also did stir fry veggies in the middle of the griddle, but got no action pic of those, or the finished spread on the counter. The kids ate most of it up Friday night, and a couple came back finished off the rice and shrimp at lunch Saturday, after we baby sat a 3 month old while they went to the movies.

      I've not done this type of cook in quite some time, and Yvonne really loved the rice and shrimp, so it will be a repeat soon.

      Comment


        Did I say Yvonne really liked the Friday night cook?

        Well, today after a 3rd birthday party, for our 1 year old granddaughter (same daughter's family!) for which Yvonne made cake and cupcakes and we both helped decorate, Yvonne REALLY REALLY wanted fried rice. She said it had to be GOOD fried rice. Like what the kids already finished up yesterday!

        So we got home at 6pm today (Sunday) from the party, I fired up the instant pot, and scrounged the fridge and freezer and pantry for what I needed to make another batch of veggie fried rice... to be honest, it would be BEST if the rice were a day old, but I figured on the big griddle, I could spread it out and get things to dry and brown well enough with fresh Jasmine rice.

        Gotta start small, with some onions...

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6311.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.11 MB ID:	1872040

        While those onions are cooking some, I turned around to cool off with my favorite new "grilling buddy". A Ryobi bucket top fan with misting feature. This thing puts out the air for the small size! I had it blowing at my back all weekend using the griddle...

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6312.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.64 MB ID:	1872044

        I added garlic, ginger, salt, pepper, frozen peas and fresh carrots...

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6314.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.30 MB ID:	1872045

        Once the carrots seemed cooked somewhat, I started incorporating the rice...

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6315.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.14 MB ID:	1872043

        I spread the rice around, gave it a little avocado oil a couple times, and turned it every couple of minutes. Once it started looking a bit browned, time to add some eggs...

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6316.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.12 MB ID:	1872042

        And finally, all done! Soy sauce, lemon juice, and a little mix of Asian griddle sauce as a finish.

        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6317.jpg Views:	9 Size:	4.24 MB ID:	1872041

        Yvonne went back for seconds, with a drizzle of Yum Yum sauce. For me it was Yum yum, a little teriyaki sauce, and some Sriracha. We had a little chicken from Friday night still as a protein. Tomorrow I am thinking of some diced ham or spam as a mix in...

        Thanks for following "fried rice tutorials with Jim".

        Carry on!
        Last edited by jfmorris; July 26, 2026, 08:50 PM.

        Comment


        • Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for sharing, Jim. I think you could feed a restaurant with that BFG!
          I feel like I remember you talking about using day old rice for stir fry before, but can you school me again? I’m thinking the extra day helps dry it out and aid in the browning. Have you tried two day old rice?

        • jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Andrrr what I LIKE to do is this:

          - RINSE the rice to get rid of starchy dust. I use Jasmine rice.
          - Make the rice (I use a 1:1 water to rice ratio in an instant pot).
          - Dump the rice out on a sheet pan and spread out in a uniform layer, and let steam die down for about 10 minutes.
          - Cover and refrigerate overnight.
          - When you dump out on the griddle, it will be clumped up. Get to chopping with your spatulas to break it up...

          And no, I have not tried 2 day old.
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 27, 2026, 07:20 AM.

        • jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Andrrr if I am making a batch with a plan to have fried rice in the fridge for a day or two, starting with 2 day old rice would cut into the typical 3-4 day old leftover rule before I throw it out. I think day old or even just a half day maybe uncovered in the fridge would be sufficient. If uncovered, probably good to be sure your fridge does not have other "aromatics" going on like fish or shrimp uncovered to defrost, and potentially give the rice an off flavor...
          Last edited by jfmorris; July 27, 2026, 07:39 AM.

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3068.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	1872050 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3070.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	2.75 MB
ID:	1872052 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3073.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	1872051 Did an over night brisket. Flat was a bit dry
        point good. 7-8/10.

        Comment


        • TomfromtheSoo
          TomfromtheSoo commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks fantastic!

        Click image for larger version  Name:	20260726_173648.jpg Views:	0 Size:	987.8 KB ID:	1872071 Click image for larger version  Name:	20260726_173916.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.42 MB ID:	1872072
        SV'd a Trip Tip and seared it on the Weber Gasser. Plated with Onion, Pepper, and Smoked Mushrooms. Homegrown Cantaloupe and Homemade Cole Slaw and a glass of Cabernet. I should make Tri Tip more often.

        Comment


        • Elton's BBQ
          Elton's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks just as i like it!

      Announcement

      Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      0
      Guest
      Guest
      500
      ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
      7