Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 42, SUMMER 2026

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Had a fish fry again tonight with some of the older couples over from the church. Guys are 92,90, 88 and 87. Have to enjoy their company while we can. However they pile into those fish like 20 year olds! Plate on the right is walleye filets and the far plate on the left is bluegills.

    Lady on right is wife Joan.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	Gills.jpg Views:	187 Size:	518.5 KB ID:	1878552

    Comment


    • Logsmith
      Logsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Sounds and looks amazing. Awesome you are able to share with the greatest generation. Wishing I had some walleye or perch fillets in the freezer!

    • Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      Man oh man. That’s some great eating right there!!!!
      Nice work Pitmaster.

    • cruiseplanner1
      cruiseplanner1 commented
      Editing a comment
      After telling Joan that we need to do more fish fry's with our older friends as much as we can as we don't know how many more they will have left I just received a call an hour ago that the 92 year old friend passed this morning. He will be missed. Not in the picture

    My wife brought home some chicken a few days ago and asked for some of her dad’s crispy grilled chicken.

    Crosby and I decided to do some proper driveway chicken, she also came home with a bunch of avocados wanting some guac.. served with some pita chips, the chicken was topped with some cilantro lime crema and aleppo pepper.

    Crosby was sure to lay closer to the street, he is such a player, he never gets up to greet anyone, but he lifts his head & wags his tail, which elicits “he’s such a good boy”… it’s a dopamine hit for him each time.. lol

    Click image for larger version  Name:	B9329986-4203-4C40-A660-7762EF9A5578.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.89 MB ID:	1878562

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6366.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.68 MB ID:	1878561

    Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 19, 2026, 06:27 PM.

    Comment


    • Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      Driveway chicken is one of my favorites! Reminds me I need to wheel my Parrilla grill out of the garage and get to cooking.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7467.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	1878577 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7464.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	1878578 Another Smashing meal on the river! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7472.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	2.62 MB
ID:	1878576

    Comment


    • smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Purc I did a private equity take over, drained all the profits from the company and used the proceeds to buy 2 smash burgers

    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      haha noob-smash.

    • cruiseplanner1
      cruiseplanner1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice dinner, extra points for the venue and the crinkle cuts

    Had family in town for the week and our new exchange student. Got out the BGE and made Paella. The recipe we use actually originates in Portugal and was taught to us by a fellow in Seattle years ago.

    That being said my wife used to to be the cook but #1 son is better at it… And, it seems that no matter how many folks we have over for dinner there is always some left. No it’s not bad, but apparently it’s like potato salad and grows exponentially.,

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4457.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	4.93 MB
ID:	1878631

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4460.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	4.29 MB
ID:	1878632

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4461.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	4.73 MB
ID:	1878633

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4462.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	4.81 MB
ID:	1878634

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4463.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	4.44 MB
ID:	1878635

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4464.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	4.33 MB
ID:	1878636

    Comment


    • Sallwine
      Sallwine commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! The ingredients are reindeer sausage, chicken thighs and wing portions, real spanish chorizo , oysters, shrimp, mussels, and a whole bunch of other stuff I forget.

    • fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Gosh, that's a beauty.

      Kathryn

    • MarkN
      MarkN commented
      Editing a comment
      All I can say is WOW!

    My first time making mole. I mostly followed Jonathan Zaragoza's Mole Poblano recipe ( https://youtu.be/K_D54YtCSrw?si=JYEPX9YqV9kfBtRj ) but I also used a couple of ingredients from Rick Bayless' Mole Negro recipe ( https://youtu.be/Zwgsbzcl5j8?si=sb-A09kBm6Lb3w0I ). This recipe is only slightly easier than Cassoulet, I can see why they only make it for special occasions in Mexico. Jonathan pointed out that it is just as easy to make a large batch as it is to make a small batch and it freezes well, so I used his full recipe and I froze 9 quarts.

    My receptionist's mom is from Mexico, my receptionist said mine tastes very similar to her mom's mole.


    The ingredients, there is a lot! Not shown: plantains, tomatillos, onions. There were several steps that I did all at once, no pics of the preparation of the ingredients but they all had to be toasted or roasted. Chilies had to be stemmed, seeded, and toasted. The key (and hard part) is to not burn them otherwise the mole will be bitter.

    Top row from left: hard to see but the baggie has dry bread and tortillas, under the bread are some raisins, center is about a pound of dried chiles, to the right is garlic cloves.

    Middle row from left: Cinnamon sticks. In the center is avocado leaves, sesame seeds, and almonds. Right: pumpkin seeds and reserved seeds from the chilies.

    Bottom row: dark chocolate. The baggie has cloves, coriander seeds, anise seeds, and black peppercorns.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	mole-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.26 MB ID:	1878728


    This recipe made 2 gallons

    Click image for larger version  Name:	mole-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.97 MB ID:	1878725

    I cooked some chicken thighs in a quart of the sauce. Tonight I will make enchiladas.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	mole-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.40 MB ID:	1878726
    The rest will go into the freezer. I'm pretty pleased with my first attempt at making mole.

    ​ Click image for larger version  Name:	mole-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	1878727

    Comment


    • Sallwine
      Sallwine commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! Not to be confused with the Guacamole, a small critter indigenous to South America.

    • fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      With that sauce stash, you're all set with excellent food ahead as well as behind you.

      Kathryn

    • surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks fantastic.
      My first molé experience was a thousand years ago when dating a girl whose mum was from Mexico. My head was spinning when I tried it. I had NEVER had anything like it before. Mind blowing.

      I’ve not made it myself…I might just need to change that.

      Until then, I’ll get my fix at Guelaguetza. Arguably the best Oaxacan restaurant outside of Mexico itself…and built on their passion for molé. Ironically, it’s located in the Koreatown part of LA.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260820_185016.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	1878743 A different take on a bone in pork chop. Rainy why not? Airfryed. 230° until I T. 135. Then 400° for sear and 145°. I pulled at 140°. Nice results. Smashed mini reds . Par boiled and air fried, SPG.

    Comment


    • RichieB
      RichieB commented
      Editing a comment
      No Panhead John never did that. Can you pass along the process?

    • Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Sure thing Richie, I’ll post a recipe tomorrow.

    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great, RichieB .

      Side note: we have the same granite countertops, so I am always doing a double-take....like, saying to myself "I don't remember cooking that". 😂

    Green chile chicken enchiladas with mole sauce.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	mole enchiladas.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	1878751

    Comment


    • Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I would take a plate of that anytime!

    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      Never met an enchilada I didn't like. Perfecto!

    It’s taco……Thursday! Prime ribeye cut thin and then sprinkled with a homemade seasoning.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6630.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	3.30 MB
ID:	1878773

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6631.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	1878769

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6633.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	3.21 MB
ID:	1878772

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6634.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	2.78 MB
ID:	1878771

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6636.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	1.72 MB
ID:	1878770

    Comment


    • cruiseplanner1
      cruiseplanner1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look great.

    • Logsmith
      Logsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      You had me at prime rib!

    • surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look great.

      I always thought “Taco Tuesday” sent a terrible message to people, especially kids.
      Tacos are excellent 7 days a week. I would never limit them to Tuesdays.

    I'm actually surprised I got this late into summer without grilling one of my typical summer dishes. HEB carries these Wild Garden near-east marinades and they make a sumac one that is amazing. I marinate boneless, skinless chicken thighs in it overnight and then grill them hot and fast with pecan.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2504.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	4.38 MB
ID:	1878814

    Once those are done, we get to the fun part, which is grilling red onion, zucchini, and yellow squash over a hot flame.

    But first, check out the size of this zucchini!!! (Instacart shopper chose it lol.) That thing is huge!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2503.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	4.62 MB
ID:	1878813

    I like to season the mixture up with some EVOO and Meat Church's Holy Cow (which is what I use for an all-purpose seasoning as it is primarily a pepper-forward SPG).

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2505.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	1878812

    I sometimes will intentionally let a bit of onion go overboard when I am stirring it around as the smell of onion on coals is amazing.

    I like to plate it all up over brown rice.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2506.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	1878811

    That is some good stuff.

    Comment


    • cruiseplanner1
      cruiseplanner1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks good. I use that exact same basket when I grill my veggies.

    • Smoked Transistors
      Smoked Transistors commented
      Editing a comment
      Yummy!

    Just pulled this hunk of pastrami goodness! Katz rub down for 2.5 days in fridge, then smoked this morning in the Smokin-it #3D smoker with some sugar maple chunks. Cooked at 275* until 170 internal then wrapped to finish and pulled at 200* internal. Took about 5.5 hours, but the first 45 minutes of that was a ramp up on temp, the way I have my smoker set to cook.

    out of the fridge - those 2 days really help with this rub adhering to the meat.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1174.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	6.77 MB
ID:	1878916

    And at 170* to wrap in foil - bark was set perfectly!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	3.70 MB
ID:	1878915

    And out of the cooker, as it hit 200*. Time for a rest!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	5.97 MB
ID:	1878917

    this is going to be outstanding!!!!

    Comment


    • 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      You're bringing that to the Meat Up, right?
      Last edited by 58limited; August 22, 2026, 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling

    • barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      58limited - I’ll bring the memories it provides…yes I will! 😂

    • Logsmith
      Logsmith commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks awesome! I've been hym hawing to long. Next free time I get I'm slapping some buffalo pastrami in the smoker. Love it!

    So I cracked open another cookbook, The Bean Book by Steve Sando and Julia Newberry. I love hummus, and the book happens to have a recipe for a simple hummus. Let me add that this is a beautiful cookbook. I added black pepper and a little more garlic than the recipe called for. Results:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260821_160615.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.35 MB ID:	1878926 Click image for larger version  Name:	20260821_160650.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	1878927 Click image for larger version  Name:	20260821_104805.jpg Views:	2 Size:	1.18 MB ID:	1878928 It wasn't as smooth as I wanted, and i didn't reserve enough of the bean broth to thin it while mixing. I tried my immersion blender, but it is cheap and couldn't handle it so i used the vitamix. Used Rancho Gordo garbanzos of course. Pretty tasty overall.
    Last edited by klflowers; August 21, 2026, 03:04 PM.

    Comment


    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice! I love this recipe! I also did extra garlic. Because garlic.

    • barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Love me some hummus! That looks outstanding!!!!!

    • surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks shockingly similar to the way I make hummus. And yes, extra garlic really isn’t “extra” around here…it’s just the way it’s done. And smoked paprika is a must.

      Years ago a Jordanian friend of mine, well his FIL actually, turned me onto za'atar and it’s become a staple ever since. Make a nice addition to hummus for something a little different…and we can go through POUNDS of hummus throughout the year. At any given time, there’s probably a pound or two in the fridge…and it won’t last. LOL

    Back in June, we got a 10 bone pork loin rack from Cheshire Pork when they were half price ($50+$12 shipping). It finally floated to the top of the to-do list so . . .

    Cut out a center 4 bone rack and the rest nice thick chops.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	raw.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1879020
    Yesterday we dry brined the 4 bone rack, today rubbed it with something like Meathead's Simon and Garfunkle and roasted it on the BGE rotisserie running 375º to 390º. Pulled at 133º after a little less than 1.5 hours.



    During rest, IT peaked at 145º

    Click image for larger version

Name:	whole cooked.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1879021 Click image for larger version

Name:	cooked cut.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	1879022
    Good stuff, our experience with Cheshire has been +++

    Comment


    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Stunning!

    • 58limited
      58limited commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!

    • Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice shots, John!

    Tried 0-400 wings tonight on my Recteq. Turned out fantastic. The left were rubbed with Heath Riles Competition, the right side got Meat Church Texas Sugar. No complaints tonight at Uncle John's Barbecue Wonderland.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	wings.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	1879035

    Comment


    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      I wanna go to Uncle John’s BBQ Wonderland!

    • Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Wonderful looking wings man!

    • TheAmazingJohnJ
      TheAmazingJohnJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! Five of us tore up the whole pan. No survivors. 😂

    Made a pan of chicken enchiladas with mole sauce. The chicken was seasoned with green chilies, S&P, cheddar cheese, and a touch of cumin.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	mole enchiladas2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	3.33 MB
ID:	1879144

    Comment


    • barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Went to late lunch today at a new spot and had enchiladas divorciadas - three types of sauces for these, and mole was one. It was really good! Makes me think of trying this!

    • fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Seeing these spinoffs from Mole Day in your house makes me want to make some too. Stop tempting me.

      Kathryn

    Brizzy time!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	4.18 MB
ID:	1879167

    Comment


    • TheAmazingJohnJ
      TheAmazingJohnJ commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks incredible.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
0
Guest
Guest
500
["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
7