Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 42, SUMMER 2026

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    This weekend at BKYDBBQ...

    Attended the Stoney Creek BBQ Cookoff in Edinburg Va. yesterday. Got to meet and talk to some really great BBQ Comp teams, and sampled some amazing comp BBQ. (No Pictures taken)

    Today I did another competition chicken practice...The flavor was really good but I still need to work on the tenderness...

    Nest week doing my first practice cooking ribs and chicken together...

    Click image for larger version

Name:	784251490_18453731056142138_3800942708807650910_n.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	1.40 MB
ID:	1879580

    Click image for larger version

Name:	784198279_18453731038142138_5328235882027665367_n.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1879581

    Comment


    • mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      My humble opinion is that chicken thighs are the best thing in BBQ with brisket being a close second. Those look amazing!

      Brian

    • Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks amazing!

    • dpearce
      dpearce commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are way prettier than mine! I tried the Myron Mixon method with the muffin pan one time, and man, it was a lot of work! Makes sense in a competition, like you did, but I am just too lazy when it's a home cook for my friends or family. Looks awesome, and I bet they tasted awesome as well!

    My second attempt at brisket for my first ever guys night. I made the brisket and invited over 4 other friends. They brought fries, baked beans, homemade rolls, cookies and ice cream. We talked a lot and watched John Wayne in Rio Bravo.
    I cooked the brisket on my recent acquisition Weber Smokey Mountain 22”.
    Dry brined it with salt.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6684.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	5.41 MB
ID:	1879677
    Plenty of room on the 22”.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6690.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	5.73 MB
ID:	1879676
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6688.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	4.99 MB
ID:	1879674
    Unreal how accurate the overnight cook went without me tending the cook while ThermoWorks and Billows did their thing.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6696.png
Views:	214
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	1879679
    Turned out delicious for cooking for 13 hours and resting for 4 hours.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6691.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	6.27 MB
ID:	1879678
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6693.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	5.59 MB
ID:	1879675
    Yum!

    Comment


    • Hulagn1971
      Hulagn1971 commented
      Editing a comment
      WSM cooked brisket is hard to beat!

    • klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      WSM is a great low n slow machine. I need to break mine out. It lives in one of the RV compartments. I haven’t used it in a couple years. Good looking brisket

    • fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I bet you impressed the heck out of those guys...

      Kathryn

    Had a nice harvest of shishito peppers today so reverse seared strip steaks on the SnS kettle, roasted potatoes, and blistered the shishitos. Served the peppers with the potatoes because SheilaAnn keeps recommending shishitos with French fries.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260823_181858164.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	3.94 MB
ID:	1879687
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260824_021112300.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	2.99 MB
ID:	1879688
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260824_022555663.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	2.93 MB
ID:	1879689

    Comment


    • Elton's BBQ
      Elton's BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Love that fire shot!

    • Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful cook!

    • fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Wowza wowza.🤩

      K.

    Fun watching the Cubs kick some butt today after some disappointing losses. Did the legs on the Silverback and crisped up the skin in the Genesis with corn we bought at our farmers market. Everything was delicious. Used Meatchurch’s Gospel rub. One of our favorites.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9695.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	1879717

    Comment


      Chicken thighs (again) this weekend. Been a few weeks since I was able to cook anything, and without having anything thawed, I ended up going to grocery store for the cheapest option. That means either Leg Quarters or Thighs (bone-in skin-on).

      Thighs it was!

      No time to dry brine overnight, so I ended up seasoning them and putting them in the fridge for about 3 hours. I used two kinds of rubs, Penzy's Barbeque All American on half, then Penzy's Revolution on the other half.

      Smoked on the on the pit barrel, with Pecan and Apple wood, it was an hour and 10 minute cook. I tried something I hadn't done for awhile, which was wait until the thighs were at about 170, then take off the lid, put the chicken skin side down on the grate, and open the vent up by about half. Was looking to ger some crispness on the skin rather than just bite-through.

      It actually worked pretty well, EXCEPT, the thighs got away from me, and they were about 180-185 by the time I got around to taking the lid off.

      Chicken seasoned and ready to go on:

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6340.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	5.30 MB
ID:	1879736

      One the PBC:

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6341.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	1879737

      Off the smoker, resting while I finish up some veggies.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6342.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	5.66 MB
ID:	1879738

      I decided to use some Brussels Sprouts for a side. They were frozen, so I thawed them out in the fridge in a salt water bath to see if I could get a little more flavor to penetrate. I think it worked out pretty good. Use Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Pepper, and a touch of Ground Cayenne for some pop. Oh, and lots of butter!

      Started them out on the PBC, but they were taking too long, so finished them out of the indoor stovetop.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6343.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	5.88 MB
ID:	1879739

      Plated up, was pretty good!

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6345.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	2.24 MB
ID:	1879740

      Chicken was decently juicy, and skin was nice and crispy! But I think it would've been better if I'd done the lid off thing at 170 instead of 180-185.

      The Revolution spices were better (IMHO) on the chicken then the Barbeque All American. Just a flavor preference for me, I think. The Revolution tasted like it would go well on fish, too.

      Both were good, I'll try the BBQ AA stuff on some pork chops soon.

      Comment


      • Ace
        Ace commented
        Editing a comment
        PBC does kick out some juicy chicken that's for sure. 🐓 👍

      • fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I often take thighs to about 180°-185°. They turn out pretty perfect for us. But then I don't do a skin-crisping step.

        I'm thinking that skin crisping step evaporated some of the juice. You're right, taking them off sooner and ramping up the heat to crisp the skin will be the perfect combo. Next time. Let us know how that future cook turns out, too.

        Kathryn

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260824_173231.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	1879830
      Mediterranean Pizza on the BGE for dinner tonight

      Comment


      • mrteddyprincess
        mrteddyprincess commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! Nice cook.

        Brian

      • Smoked Transistors
        Smoked Transistors commented
        Editing a comment
        Winner! You won, looks spectacular.

      It's been a while, been practicing, having fun, and drinking beer, while using the new Weber trying to learn..finally feeling confident to use cast iron on it. I did burgers today then roasted tater tons and grilled onions to try and make the burgers like IN-N-OUT style. For those that don't know it's like whataburger but better. So I've been told..thanks to everyone for helping me learn and get better.
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • TomfromtheSoo
        TomfromtheSoo commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like a comfortable spot to hang out!

      Not the best presentation, but smoked and seared Iowa Chops, grilled zucchini and tomatoes w/cottage cheese.

      Chops tasted good and were super juicy, just need to figure out how to make them more tender (chops aren’t my fave, but the girls love them so I should just work on it more).
      Attached Files

      Comment


      • bbq_esq
        bbq_esq commented
        Editing a comment
        Best chops you’ll ever have will be sous vide and sear. Haven’t found anyway to replicate that. Tender as all get out.

      • Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        We raised hogs and when we slaughtered them they were just over a hundred pounds, maybe 130, and I never encountered a tender pork chop. If I do pork chops I'll just get the thickest ones I can get and do the sous vide - sear method. Trust me, it ain't you.

      • fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup. Sous vide at 135° to pasteurization. Then sear. Tender and juicy that way. I stopped doing them any other way. Pork loin/chops are just too touchy any other way for me.

        Your pork chop looks delicious though. Nice browning on it.

        K.

      Monday night dinner and lunch prep. Boneless skinless thighs, just some five spice and SPG, seared, tossed in a doctored up thai chili sauce. Hard to beat and fun cook.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9182.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	6.96 MB
ID:	1879941

      Comment


      • Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a fun cook. You really can't mess it up and its so straightforward and oh so good.

      • bbq_esq
        bbq_esq commented
        Editing a comment
        Michael_in_TX plus ive been eating the leftovers all week

      • fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Whoa! Nice spice combo there.

        Kathryn

      Hatch Chile Cheesesteak Facsimile

      Shaved beef, onions, and hot Hatch chiles cooked in a stupidly hot cast iron skillet. Cheddar cheese. Asiago cheese bun, made that day in HEB.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2518.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.63 MB ID:	1880053

      Stupidly good for when I need something in thirty minutes to not be late to a Zoom meeting.

      Comment


      • surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Whenever I make, or even order, a Philly…I ALWAYS add a griddled chile of some sort. Hatch, jalapeño, doesn’t matter. LOL It just has to be there.

      Marinade for jerky. Not mine. But man it smells good.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260825_163417.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	2.69 MB
ID:	1880078

      Comment


        There is nothing I love more on the grill than a live fire ribeye steak. I am addicted and having about 3 per week at this point. This one was about 18 ounces or perfection.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	5.54 MB
ID:	1880136 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	2.30 MB
ID:	1880135

        Comment


        • theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, baby.

        • fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          You're the man.

          K.

        One Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice.
        Savor a taste of Spain with this easy One Pot Spanish Chicken and Rice recipe, full of juicy chicken, flavorful spices, and colorful veggies!


        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3227.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	5.87 MB
ID:	1880223
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3228.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	1880222

        Comment


          Click image for larger version

Name:	20260826_185541.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1880235 My cook of a blackened bone in pork chop. I used Panhead John method and the Louisiana seasoning recommended. Done on the side burner of the Spirit. Temperature was about 500° in the cast iron skillet when the butter was dropped in. It was delicious, I.T. 148. Less than 3 minutes per side. It was maybe an inch thick. My only take away. Notice a missing seasoning in the middle. I used tongs for the flip. I suspect I removed the seasoning. Next time a spatula carefully placed under said protein. Again,,fantastic. I looking forward to some thick ribeye soon as I get some.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20260826_184455.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	1880237 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260826_184903.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	1880238 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260826_185541.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1880240
          Attached Files

          Comment


          • Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Great job Ritchie, looks tasty! Re: the missing seasoning. Here’s a few things I discovered with pork chops. Sometimes they tend to curl up at the edges and the middle doesn’t stay flat against the bottom of the pan. Try pressing down on them with a spatula for the first minute or two on each side. When seasoning them before cooking, press the seasoning into the meat with your hands. Also, this happens to me a lot, when removing the meat from the plate into the skillet, con’t….

          • Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Continued…. I find a good bit of seasoning will come off the bottom of the meat and stick to the plate. Put the opposite side of the meat face down in the pan and then sprinkle more seasoning onto the side that lost some. Hope this helps!
            Last edited by Panhead John; August 26, 2026, 07:15 PM.

          Thanks for the advise John. Yes, a lot of the seasoning was on the plate after dropping in the skillet. I pushed it off back to the chop.

          Comment

          Announcement

          Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          0
          Guest
          Guest
          500
          ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
          7