Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 42, SUMMER 2026

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Last time I made Al Pastor on the Weber/Vortex. This time I did Gyros. Fun prep and cook. However, I am terrible at the final presentation pics. There was lettuce, tzatziki, tomatoes, and red onion. Plus I lose patience cuz I want to eat

    Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004569.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	1875999

    Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004572.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1876000

    Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004573.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	1876001

    Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004575.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	1876002

    Click image for larger version

Name:	1000004577.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	1876003

    Comment


    • Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfect mold, perfect onion cap!

    • TripleB
      TripleB commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr I’ll PM you the recipe I used.

    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Andrrr me too please

    Last night's dinner: omelette with diced onion, diced roasted green Hatch chile, and ham. New Mexican stacked enchilada with homemade red masa tortillas, homemade chorizo, cheddar and cotija cheeses, roasted Red Hatch sauce and topped with a fried egg.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	enchilada and omelette.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.08 MB ID:	1876008


    Lunch today: red masa tortillas with the red Hatch sauce, diced roasted green Hatch chile, dino rib meat, and cotija cheese

    Click image for larger version  Name:	dino rib tacos.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.73 MB ID:	1876007

    Comment


    • barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      All kinds of YES!!!!!!!!!

    Repost from yesterday since pic didn't show:

    Simple grilled chicken fajitas with grilled peppers, extra cheese, and extra-extra cilantro, cuz that's how I roll.​

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260809_185158.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	1876073

    Comment


    • Michael_in_TX
      Michael_in_TX commented
      Editing a comment
      One can never have enough cilantro.

    • Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Michael_in_TX AMEN!

    • barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s good stuff right there!


    Grilled pork chops on the Searwood. Seasoned with Butchers BBQ Steak & Brisket Rub and Whiskey Bent Pecanerry rub.

    I had planned to use the Weber Kettle for this but there was a line of storms headed my way and I didn't to take the extra time to get charcoal going. I was able to light the Searwood, cook and had the grill cooled off and covered in about an hour...

    ETA - it's amazing the difference between these chops and commodity pork. It looked like beef when I took it out of the package...

    Before

    Click image for larger version  Name:	770427954_18451136476142138_2092789885857441884_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	950.9 KB ID:	1876089

    After

    Click image for larger version  Name:	771814730_18451136485142138_1874241518687378908_n.jpg Views:	0 Size:	992.5 KB ID:	1876088
    Last edited by BKYDBBQ; August 10, 2026, 05:14 PM.

    Comment


    • Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      Sweet. I plan to get a little santa maria of sorts. Miss my charcoal.

    Hoppin' John beans and rice recipe inspired by Meathead. Homemade bread sticks with melted garlic butter and grated parmesan brushed on top.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	2EFFDC77-E8EC-4B83-B92F-B94AFFD38074.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	1.60 MB
ID:	1876111 Click image for larger version

Name:	1C4BEBDB-EADA-4619-8E1D-B2E9A0F6227D.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1876112

    Comment


      I don't do firm white fish often enough. Here's a little something I threw together tonight.

      Mahi mahi filet from HEB, seasoned with EVOO, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and smoked paprika. Air-fried at 400 F for ten minutes, flipping at the midway point. Served with steamed broccoli with grated romano cheese. Everything sauced with a lemon-garlic-caper sauce (1/4 melted butter, 2 tbl lemon juice, pinch of salt and garlic powder, some capers).

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2463.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	1876201

      I was shocked that the fish came out looking almost blackened; indeed, it even has a slight bit of a crust! Turned out amazing! I may never pan-fry fish again. (I also apparently really wanted some broccoli.)

      Comment


      • Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish my Mahi could go 10 minutes. 4 minutes and these fillets from wal-mart are DUN!

      • Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard These were exceptionally thick....one of the reason I snagged them.

      Grilled flanken ribs and tenderloin kabobs on the gasser. Served with squash blossom risotto and grilled broccoli.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260811_014924385.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	4.10 MB
ID:	1876212
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260811_020516329.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	3.85 MB
ID:	1876213

      Comment


      • Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        SheilaAnn Yeah, I'll definitely go Asian first run.

      • Richard Chrz
        Richard Chrz commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard never hesitate to throw them in the Sv for 24 hours or more at 133 or so, then hard sear.

      • Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Richard Chrz I figured sous vide for a fall back if the 12hr marinade doesn't cut it.

      Today was American Gyro's. I used h Click image for larger version

Name:	Gyro 1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	636.7 KB
ID:	1876434 Click image for larger version

Name:	Gyro 2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	1876435 alf lamb and half beef. Kiss of smoke. Pita was store bought but I may try and make some the next time. Has to be much better than Aldi's. Homemade Tzatziki with some lettuce, red onion and tomato.

      Comment


      • Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        Nailed it. And yes, do make your own pita bread. It is lightyears beyond anything at the store. I'll buy store tortillas if I have to, but I can never again buy store-bought pitas.

      • cruiseplanner1
        cruiseplanner1 commented
        Editing a comment
        I just told Joan those store bought Pita are almost too haavy. Just a bit ago I fried up some more of the Gyro meat and we ate it on our bakery flour tortillas with all the same toppings and they tasted better on that than the boughten Pita. I told her I may try it but dough is my Achilles heel.

      On the Kettle. Sweet sausage and grilled russet wedges with SPG.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260811_191138.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	1876468

      Comment


      • RichieB
        RichieB commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you. Sometimes simple is best

      I defrosted too much chicken, so out came the vortex. Had fries, corn and a salad (head of iceberg with all of the outer leaves removed) but no plated pics
      Click image for larger version

Name:	20260811_173315.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	1876473 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260811_175116.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	1876474

      Comment


      • fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Lot of tasty lunches in the leftovers. That chicken looks too good to sit around in the fridge for long.

        K.

      • klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc my son put a huge dent in it lol

      • cruiseplanner1
        cruiseplanner1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Those look so nice. Love charcoal grilled chicken.

      I decided to do an Aaron & Claire recipe tonight: Lemon-Garlic Chicken: https://aaronandclaire.com/lemon-garlic-chicken/

      As I was using double the chicken, I doubled the recipe.

      You start out by marinating the chicken in soy sauce, mirin, garlic & onion powder, pepper, cornstarch, oil, and that Asian trick of baking soda. Unlike Aaron, I didn't do my chicken in a wok, I did it on the grill over pecan.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2475.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	2.87 MB
ID:	1876514

      I completely forgot that mirin has sugar, so it got a bit more charred on one side (the side I am not showing you lol) than I'd have liked, but that is why we always keep an indirect zone available.

      Once the chicken was done and cooled a bit, I cut it up into bite-sized pieces.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2476.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	1876518

      I took a few bites.....there is something to be said about that baking soda/cornstarch trick. It gives the chicken -- even after direct heat grilling -- this velvety feel that is just really delightful.

      Next, in some melted butter in a skillet or wok, add in green onions, a ridiculous amount of garlic, and some ginger and get that going until the garlic just begins to take on some color.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2477.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	3.52 MB
ID:	1876517

      Next, add the sauce which contains soy sauce, oyster sauce, mirin, lemon juice, lemon zest, chicken bouillon, cornstarch, and honey.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2478.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	3.54 MB
ID:	1876516

      Once the sauce comes to a small boil (cornstarch won't reach its full thickening power until it does), mix in the diced chicken.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2479.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	4.06 MB
ID:	1876519

      Once the chicken is heated through, it's done. I served mine over brown rice with broccoli, garnished with green onions.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2480.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	3.16 MB
ID:	1876515

      I love the way it looks with the charred bits on the chicken. This was very good and very garlicky; however, the lemon flavor was not pronounced at all. It was there, but mostly a background note. Moreover (and this is not a criticism of the dish or Aaron), I've learned that I am not all that into dishes with a lot of mirin and honey.

      The dish does not taste sweet; in fact, it is very well balanced, but I'm quite sensitive to sugar and I always feel "off" after eating such a dish. Oddly enough, the dish reminds me of that mall fixture of bourbon chicken.

      Comment


      • MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        Well done, Amigo!

      • Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm not saying I like charred. But....the last wife reminded me that not everyone likes their meat burnt, including hotdogs.

      • fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Aaron and Claire have some interesting recipes on their site. Thanks for the link.

        Good call to cut the sugar products next time. No point in eating a yummy meal but feeling crummy afterwards.

        Kathryn

      two parts to my post.
      First - The first picture is the left over charcoal and woodchips from last time. I moved the bottom grate to the bottom and placed the Kingsford grill pan on top so the coals weren't resting directly on the bottom of the grill.
      In the second picture you can see how this gave ample room between the lit coals and top rack.
      However from the beginning the grill does have an airflow issue.
      It's really designed for searing steaks, hamburgers, and hotdogs (in my opinion).
      the red area is where the coals get airflow from the vent in the front. I'm considering modifying it with two vents in the back to equalize and gain airflow.
      Otherwise it's a great little portable grill.
      second -​ Some pork steaks marinated in Dales and grilled on the portable grill. Mac n Cheese and broccoli for sides.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	1876616

      Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	1876617

      Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	1876618

      Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	1876619

      Click image for larger version

Name:	a.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	1876620

      Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	309.0 KB
ID:	1876621

      Click image for larger version

Name:	b.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	1876622

      Comment


      • klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I used to use Dale's all the time. I don't know why I stopped. I need to pick some up. Good looking cook

      Define “cooking.” It was too hot, so I kept the cooking to a minimum.

      Anyway, there’s some ahi, crab, & shrimp… Did the spicy tuna thing (with the ahi) and a “California” sorta thing. It’s been so long since I’ve had a California roll that I couldn’t remember what went in it. LOL And yes, I was just lazy enough that I didn’t search for a recipe because; 1. I wasn’t going back to the market & 2. I figured there were probably eleventeen bazillion variations anyway. So mine had crab, avocado, & cucumber. Had extra spicy mayo for dipping and another dipping sauce made with tamari, minced garlic & red pepper flakes. Served with a bottle of sake.

      Clearly nobody is going to accuse me of being a sushi chef, but they were tasty.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2026-08-12-141622.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	1876682

      Comment


      • Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great to me. I love sushi, but have never tried to make my own.

      • SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Ain’t mad at that!! Now I want sushi with crazy milk.

      • surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Bogy It’s really not that hard…just takes a bit of patience.

        Funny enough, the ones on the bottom are the best looking… Because I was losing my patience and wanted to get them finished. LOL

      LA kalbi/galbi short ribs with banchan. I got the galbi marinade from Brian Lagerstrom. It was delicious. Barbara really liked it too. The banchan were jasmine rice, store bought ssamjang, store bought Napa cabbage kimchi and oi muchim (cucumber salad) from Maangchi. It was simple and delicious. We used butter lettuce leaves for the ssam.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260813_000122161.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	1876789
      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260813_000543360.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	2.80 MB
ID:	1876790

      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260813_001634980.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	2.40 MB
ID:	1876791

      Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260813_001107475.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	1876792

      Comment


      “Trisket” cook, broke out the Weber Smokey Mountain for first time in a long time. Seasoned the tri-tip with the new Meat Church Garlic and Jalapeño Blanco. Cooked at 250 until internal temp hit 165, then wrapped with beef tallow in two layers of foil. Continued cooking until internal temp hit 203, checked tenderness- good to go.
      I had issues getting my Thermoworks Billows and Smoke working requiring a chat with Tech Support so no pics of the cook. Below is after resting. Everyone said the meat came out great and I agreed. Moist, tender and smokey.

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3203.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	2.47 MB
ID:	1876801
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3205.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	1876800

      Comment


      • barelfly
        barelfly commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the addition of tallow! That looks great!

      • SheilaAnn
        SheilaAnn commented
        Editing a comment
        Great smoke ring!

    Announcement

    Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    0
    Guest
    Guest
    500
    ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
    7