Instagram AmazingRibs Facebook AmazingRibs X - Meathead Pinterest AmazingRibs Youtube AmazingRibs
BBQ Stars

Welcome!


This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | 30 Day Trial | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us What You're Cooking! (SUWYC) - Volume 42, SUMMER 2026

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
This topic has been answered.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Smoked a rack of spares on the Smoke Vault. Cooked up a pot of borracho beans to go along with the ribs.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260816_195408134.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	4.21 MB
ID:	1877837
    Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20260817_011512121.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	3.77 MB
ID:	1877838

    Comment


    • Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not made that bean dish ever, but I'm going to soon! They look incredible, what a beautiful rack of ribs too!

    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      Those beans look outstanding. I could eat that for lunch every day this week.

    • fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking meal. I want those beans...

      Kathryn

    Dinner last night, one of our favorites. Tri-tip and roasted potatoes, and a glass of Prisoner Red Blend. Seasoned Santa Maria style (salt, pepper, garlic and herb blend), bagged and SV'd at 132* for 6 hours. I do 6 to 6.5 hours as it really does a great job tenderizing "choice" grade cuts. Out of the bag for 30 minutes, dried and then seared on the Napoleon gasser's IR burner. Home made chimichurri for me,

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260816_150428.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	1877886 Click image for larger version

Name:	20260816_150505.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	1877887

    Comment


    • randy.56
      randy.56 commented
      Editing a comment
      I do my tri tip the same way, 5.5 - 6 hours at 131 degrees, then sear on charcoal PK grill. Yours looks perfect.

    • rmeugene
      rmeugene commented
      Editing a comment
      I really need to do a tri-tip very soon.

    I was working outside all weekend, and you know you gotta have the smoke rollin'. I did this chuck roast on the Big Joe. That thing is a real beast of a Kamado. I love it.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	5.52 MB
ID:	1877908

    Comment


    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      Agree with the smoke rollin' while working outside. Just seems like the right thing to do.

    • Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I like love getting those wiffs of smoke. HotSun

    • cruiseplanner1
      cruiseplanner1 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love a smoked chuckie. Sliced on a warm flour tortilla...

    I had a rib roast that was going one of two ways: roast or steak. My DS is headed to college as freshman, so we did it right. I decided steak: big, thick, obnoxious steaks. 2 kg of meat for three steaks. Cut Saturday and dry brined until tonight (Monday):

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_182325.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.69 MB ID:	1878057
    Would have gone longer, but we have to hit the road in a couple days. 58limited .... I didn't have the time after work to play with the Hasty Bake, so Kamander it was, or 'Old Reliable' as my DD nicknamed it today.

    Vortex, briquettes (what I had close by, and hickory...because it is the summer of hickory here.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_181854.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	1878058

    Here we go, indirect:​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_183041.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.19 MB ID:	1878067

    I don't use the temp gauge for precise pit temp, but I will say, for this type of cook, here is my sweet spot:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_183330.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.59 MB ID:	1878059
    I time these at 6 minutes per side, then start in with sear. After first turn:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_183709.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	1878060
    A little fire GIF:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_184609(1).gif Views:	3 Size:	723.9 KB ID:	1878061
    And then, coming to the finish line:

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_184745.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.21 MB ID:	1878062

    And there we have it....
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_185406.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	1878063

    Been struggling with getting temp right, but nailed it here:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_185535.jpg Views:	3 Size:	2.44 MB ID:	1878064
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_185549.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.88 MB ID:	1878065

    Plating: Roasted red skin potatoes made by my DD; blistered green beans made my by DS:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20260817_185634.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.94 MB ID:	1878066
    Not shown: romaine, cantaloupe, and cucumber.

    Super proud of my kiddos by handling everything but the meat. They took direction well, cooked well, setup well, and ate well. There is hope.

    That's what we're cooking.
    Last edited by HotSun; August 17, 2026, 08:32 PM. Reason: adding stuff

    Comment


    • Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking meal, nice job on the steaks! I also like to use my vortex for searing. Just a little tip I figured out a while back, if you turn the vortex upside down you’ll have a much larger searing area and it won’t affect your cook. When cooking off heat at the beginning, I just move my steak, or whatever, closer to the edge of the kettle.

    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      Love the family time with good eats!

    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      Panhead John , thanks for the suggestion. I knew that, but I don't know why I don't do it your way. It's easier to load the coals with your method, too. I rotate the grate to even things up as I go along, sometimes 120 degrees, sometimes 180 degree.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	172
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	1878108​
    Just smoked some pork belly last night. Had big plans... ended up trimming a couple of bits off the corners to taste it, then just vac sealed it and went to bed.

    Comment


    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      I just looked at this again and wanted to 'Like' it again. Yum.

    This is a brisket from a buffalo I was fortunate to have harvested in Feb of 25. They are smaller than a beef brisket, and zero fat cap. I smoked this on my homemade smoker, then crutched it and finished it in the oven. The leftovers didn't last very long!

    Click image for larger version

Name:	20260517_205337.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	2.84 MB
ID:	1878194

    Comment


    • barelfly
      barelfly commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that’s how to roll with your first post! Great cook!

    • Ace
      Ace commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic grain. 👍😎

    Picanha cooked like a reverse seared steak with a hatch chile chimmi

    Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	160
Size:	1.88 MB
ID:	1878198​

    Comment


    • theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, please.

    • Ace
      Ace commented
      Editing a comment
      It just doesn't get any better than this boys & girls. Perfection... 😊

    • SheilaAnn
      SheilaAnn commented
      Editing a comment
      You had me at hatch chimi!

    Lobsters 2 ways (grilled and steamed), roasted clams. all from the waters off Narragansett RI

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3906.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	1.74 MB
ID:	1878200

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5105.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	5.11 MB
ID:	1878201

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5104.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	3.83 MB
ID:	1878202

    Comment


    • theroc
      theroc commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic.

    • Richard Chrz
      Richard Chrz commented
      Editing a comment
      These seafood cooks just make me so jealous!

    • surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      Hulagn1971 In my best Bob Belcher, “Ohmygod.”

    After years of ribs, chicken, and pork butts, I finally was able to smoke my first brisket. Due to cost and # of people I was cooking for, I never had the opportunity to cook a brisket, until a week and a half ago.
    Twelve hours in my cheapo Camp Chef pellet smoker, followed by a 1 1/2 hour hold in the cooler, it came out remarkably juicy and tender. It'll probably be some time before I cook another one, so I enjoyed the hell out of the experience! My horrible slicing job didn't get in the way of enjoying the end result.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3324.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	5.33 MB
ID:	1878274

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3323.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	6.38 MB
ID:	1878275

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3329.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	7.54 MB
ID:	1878276

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3331.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	5.57 MB
ID:	1878277

    Comment


    • WI Bubba
      WI Bubba commented
      Editing a comment
      Nicely done!

    • Ace
      Ace commented
      Editing a comment
      Nicely done. Good looking cook... 👍

    • HotSun
      HotSun commented
      Editing a comment
      What they said, very nice. Slicing got much better for me when I got a proper slicing knife (for Christmas) instead of a chef's knife. Used it tonight, in fact.

    Variation on original .., leftovers. Naan bread piled with brisket jack cheese, fresh salsa! 💃🔥

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1540.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	2.31 MB
ID:	1878286

    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1538.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	3.68 MB
ID:	1878287

    Comment


      One of the things i love about a great chuck roast, is left overs! It gave me a great excuse to make some semolina pasta

      From there I pan cooked some portobellos in a bit of butter, then removed the mushrooms, reduced down some chardonnay with a bunch of minced shallot and garlic to fuel a dry roux with short rib tallow thinned that down and reduced more with some beef stock, finished with cream, sauced the pasta, added back in the mushrooms, a bit of parmigiano reggiano, and fresh thyme.
      ​
      It’s been a minute since i had hand rolled some pasta.

      Click image for larger version  Name:	C4DB3234-5825-4FD6-BCE1-B09B3955760B.jpg Views:	5 Size:	253.7 KB ID:	1878314

      Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6329.jpg Views:	4 Size:	4.07 MB ID:	1878315
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; August 18, 2026, 06:51 PM. Reason: Typos, imagine that..

      Comment


      • theroc
        theroc commented
        Editing a comment
        Bravo!

      • Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I would so eat that!

      • fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh my. Be still my taste buds.

        K.

      TACOS!!!!! For TACO Tuesday!!!!!!!

      and these are of the grilled mahi variety with a bit of slaw and jalapeños. Refreshing bite on a hot day!

      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1169.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	1878320

      Comment


        Rubbed down a corned beef after a day long desalination. Close to Katz pastrami rub on this and will sit in the fridge until Friday to get some smoke on it! Can’t wait for this one!

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1170.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	5.54 MB
ID:	1878323

        Comment


        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to it!

        • Logsmith
          Logsmith commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks awesome. I have a couple buffalo eye of rounds I saved to make pastrami, this is more motivation to get smoking! Can't wait to see the end result.

        • barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          Logsmith - sounds great! And…the motivation passes on! SheilaAnn motivated me with her pastrami cook a few weeks back! So….keep the run going!

        Since it’s called show us what you’re cooking, (not actually grilling, smoking, etc.) I’m going to put my best leg forward. Well maybe several of them. Had a Red King Crab opening. Me and some buddies picked a couple.

        In this part of the world we clean crab live. (Usually three out of four falls) Then into a pot bought to a raging boil to steam over salt water 18 minutes. (This by the way is the same seawater the crab live in.)Then into a saltwater bath to stop the cooking. And then to the table. It never requires butter. But a nice white wine works.
        In the event there’s any left…. Doubtful, the next morning crab and pepper jack cheese omelet.

        Apologies as the omelet never quite got close to the camera….

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4388.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	1878331

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4389.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	3.78 MB
ID:	1878332

        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4390.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	2.64 MB
ID:	1878333

        Comment


        • Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          Holy wow that’s how you do crab!, Fantastic!

        • SheilaAnn
          SheilaAnn commented
          Editing a comment
          Wowza!

        • theroc
          theroc commented
          Editing a comment
          So envious.

        Since I haven't been able to get out to the patio for the last few weeks, I figured I'd share what I eat during a typical work-week.

        Not quite "cooked", but here's a salad I've been eating almost every weekday for the last 3 years. I'm not sure what to call this concoction, as best as I can describe, it's somewhat of a Cobb salad.

        A quarter pound of some protein. Usually gyro meat we get from a local shop, sometimes shredded chicken (leftover from a weekend cook), sometimes shredded pork (also a leftover from the weekend), sometimes tuna fish (in water from the can). Sliced up steak gets in the mix sometimes as well.

        One avocado, sliced and diced up, sprinkled liberally with salt, pepper, and apple cider vinegar.

        Some type of protein delivery system (Spinach/Arugula (usually), or Red Butter Lettuce, or diced up cabbage).

        One hardboiled egg, diced up.

        Feta cheese crumbles, or Blue cheese crumbles.

        Stuffed Manzanilla Olives.

        Bacon bits.

        A splash of Balsamic vinegar, and a tablespoon of this cultured cooking oil I found awhile back that's got low omega 6 and omega 3. Sometimes I blend in Italian spices for a homemade Italian dressing, sometimes I use red or white wine vinegar. Just depends on my mood.

        All washed down with a bottle of water with a teaspoon of psyllium seed fiber added to it (orange flavored, hence the color, it's low in sugar at least).

        Click image for larger version

Name:	image0.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	4.04 MB
ID:	1878474

        And that's pretty much what I eat for the day. Weekends are reserved for smoking something delicious, hopefully having leftovers to carry into the following week as my protein in the salad.

        Oh, and there's always a day or two in a given month where for whatever reason, I just don't make it to the store. Those days, I just pop down to Kroger and grab a few pieces of deli chicken or a small pack of ready-made sushi.

        Comment


        • barelfly
          barelfly commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks good! And very similar to what my weekday lunch looks like when I’m home! Love me a good salad with protein and fixings!

        • HotSun
          HotSun commented
          Editing a comment
          "Protein delivery system" 🤣🤣🤣
          Love it!

      Announcement

      Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      0
      Guest
      Guest
      500
      ["membership","help","nojs","maintenance","shop","reset-password","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2025-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2026-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads
      7