Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I'm going to stick with my Klose log burner for whole boneless ribeyes. They just won't fit in the KBQ, and I won't chunk them out unless I'm going the sous vide route.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I assume you mean the whole roast?

Just looking into sous vide after reading posts here.
    Not familiar with this method of cooking at all, but VERY interested after reading a post by hogdog6.
    -
    I've also never attempted a whole Ribeye roast before.
    Always cut steaks and seared/smoked them.
    I like the added flavor searing gives the meat, and of course the great smoke flavor just makes it for me.

Comment

In my case, I've wet aged the whole roast before giving it a light smoke. Immediately chill and carve into steaks which are cooked later. I have had good results with sous vide steaks first followed by a Weber charcoal chimney sear. I have yet to combine both methods, but I think that holds promise. (Wet aged, smoked, steaked, sous vide and seared)

I am willing to eat as many steaks as it takes to perfect this. I sacrifice my diet for the betterment of man (and woman). ;-)

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Too Cool!

BBQ_Bill I find that Sous Vide and premium steaks is very different than Sous Vide and tougher cuts of meat.

The only reason I SV premium cuts of meat like Choice or Prime grade Ribeyes, beef tenderloin or New York steaks is if I'm cooking for a large crowd. Getting the steaks cooked to the proper internal temperature during the day as I go about preparing for my dinner party... without a deadline🤗, is really convenient. These quality cuts of beef are already pretty tender. Plus searing the steaks as your dinner guest watch is entertaining for them. If I'm only going to cook a couple of those types of steaks I'll do the reverse sear on my grills.

Tri Tip, Chuck roasts and lower quality grades of meat, select grade, are different. You can actually get these cuts of meat to the tenderness of a Filet Mignon steak by giving them lots of time in the bath tub. I like 15 hours at 131° for Tri Tip to get it to Filet Mignon tenderness. So Sous Vide cooking completely changes the texture of cheaper cuts of meat if you give it enough time to tenderizer it. Sometimes I'll SV these cuts of meat to 180° and then put them in my smoker just until I get the bark I want, instead of searing them.

My personal rule of thumb is for high quality beef, just a couple/few steaks, reverse sear in my BGE or my Weber kettle & SnS. They both are very good for reverse searing. For tougher cuts of meat I ALWAYS Sous Vide them to make them more tender.

Plus... there is many other things your SV circulator will do for you... fish, chicken, veggies, sauces, poached eggs and desserts, it's just a fun toy.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        When you measure out the water for the sous vide, do you do it by weight or volume? ;-)

(I hope I'm not stirring the...oh, forget it)

Thank you Breadhead, this is good stuff!
      I will copy/paste your post into my growing group of notes on this subject.
      -
      My wife is already looking at the different SV manufacturers, models, and prices.
      I will join her by hitting the reviews before I purchase.
      -
      Thanks to all here that have given me input on this unique method of cooking.
      -
      Due to personal preferences, MY smoke will be added using the KBQ and not liquid smoke as was suggested at another site.
      SMOKE ON!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        A wise decision! ;-)

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I add smoke using KBQ or PBC, blow friends minds how delicious chucks turn out. You will love it.

BBQ_Bill

KISS... keep it simple stupid.😬 I have the original Anova with Bluetooth and a 4.75 gallon plastic tub I use. I NEVER use the Bluetooth feature because SV cooking is the world's best set it and forget it cooker. You should be able to get a circulator, a tub and a vacuum packer for under $300. Eventually you will discover multiple circulators would be very desirable.

Attached Files

Comment

• gshayd
        gshayd commented
        Editing a comment
        I like my Anovo with the Wi-Fi feature because I can see what its doing while I am not there on my smart phone miles away.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        gshayd ... I like not feeling the need to check on my Anova SV circulator while I'm out playing a 5 hour round of golf, because I know in 2 years it's NEVER varied even 1 degree. Checking up on your Anova circulator is a complete waste of time!

I don't remember where in this long, popular thread but I read where someone referred to the fan noise of the KBQ. Can some of you comment on that? I live in a single family dwelling but the yards are small and I'm separated from the neighbors by 20 feet. Only a wood fence is between us. We can easily hear each other talking at normal conversation levels. I don't give a hoot but the neighbors might. Should I move? Is the KBQ that good?

SteveE

Comment

• SteveEd
        SteveEd commented
        Editing a comment
        That's what I feared. I was hoping that someone would say it's outrageously loud so that I wouldn't have to buy one. Thanks, I guess, Spinaker.

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Give in to MCS. You have to buy one!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You won't regret it. Trust me. Your neighbors will either love you or hate you.

Oh Guest "You can't always get what you want But if you try sometimes well you might find You get what you need". You neeeeeed a KBQ!!!
      (I'm so not a Rolling Stones fan but when a lyric works, I say use it)👌

Comment

SteveE, my neighbors originally complained that they were bothered by the smoke but never the noise.
        NOW, they say that they are very much "into" the wonderful aromas.
        Why you ask?
        Well one of them said "Every weekend your BBQ makes me incredibly hungry, because I KNOW just how good the meat is coming off of that smoker of yours!"
        The answer...
        I have given these nearby neighbors samples of my Smoked Brisket and samples of my Smoked Beef Ribs, so noise and smoke are NOT a problem anymore because they are now HUGE fans of my weekend smokes.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          There lies the path to world peace: BBQ!

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          What EdF said. 🔥

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          A little BBQ Diplomacy 101, right here boys.

Thank you, BBQ_Bill et al. My neighbors have complained a little about the smoke from the WSM and a lot about the smoke from the charcoal chimney as the newspaper burned.They expressed it as a concern that something was on fire and asked how could they ever know if something really was on fire. I didn't have an answer for that other than to say that they were welcome to glance over the fence or call me on the phone. I'll have to share some Q with them. Next step is to find a reliable supply of decent wood at a reasonable distance. Anybody out there buying or selling near Lafayette, LA? Jerod is probably out of touch.

SteveE

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Check CL too. I find some people give a way wood. You have to cut and spilt it. But You can usually get some good stuff.

Guest might try other ways of lighting your charcoal. I load up my small Weber chimney with lump and then hold a propane torch underneath it for a minute or so to get it started. Then I use a cheap bellows or a cheap blow dyer to move a bit of air up from underneath. Little to no smoke compared to using newspaper.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Guest I totally agree with what Spinaker said. The TS8000 is the real deal!!!

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          What about the Binford TS10,000, "more power". Haha😜🔥
          Last edited by hogdog6; July 8, 2017, 05:08 PM.

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Rrrrrrrrr

My daughter turned 10 today...... All grills and smokers are in action. But KBQ is leading the platoon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	344598
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribs.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	344599

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          The unmistakable color of KBQ strikes again!

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          So true it doesn't matter how many time I see it, the KBQ color is incredible!
          Happy 10 year birthday!!!

• ComfortablyNumb
          ComfortablyNumb commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm turning 10 (fingers crossed behind back) so will you make some ribs for me? ;-)

Ernest: Apologies if I have missed pertinent info, but am wondering why all your great photos have been replaced by this notice on my AR pages, please? Here it is: It is a real punishment to miss your great photos, so if I need to reset something or adjust my settings, would be grateful for your direction. Thanks for all the motivation you provide us all, Ernest!

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          John Henry end of photobucket.

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Gents, my posted photos on another forum in 2010 are still there to this day.
          -
          I stopped using photobucket several years ago because they seemed unreliable to me and started using fotothing to host my photos.
          Never had a problem since then.
          Try this link:
          FREE stock and cryptocurrency quotes, message boards, fundamentals. Markets include NASDAQ, NYSE, OTCBB, Pink Sheet, cryptocurrency and world exchanges. Use advanced charts, Level2, read market news and SEC filings.

• SteveEd
          SteveEd commented
          Editing a comment
          I did an image search on Google and it turned up what appear to be Ernest's photos, maybe not from this thread but excellent none-the-less. Maybe Ernest can confirm this. I used the search term "karubecue has landed" and "kbq ~ has landed."

Oh, and it's free

Comment

Just pulled the trigger. Thanks to Ernest and all the responders for the help. Thanks to Bill Karau, too, for the invention and the phone call.

Comment

• SteveEd
            SteveEd commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Spinaker. Actually, I'm not exactly new though I've never been very active. Due to a problem renewing my membership I had to create a new account. I'm the same as SteveE seen in previous posts to this thread.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            SteveEd johnnylighton. You, your family, your friends, your neighbors, your dog,... are going to love your KBQ. Looking forward to pics of your first cook.

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            SteveEd, If you like to "play with fire" and like top quality smoked meats, you hit the bulls-eye with that shot you fired with your "trigger" pull Sir!
            Trust me, as for my friends my family and I, it was "Luv @ 1st Bite!"

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here