Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is useful to use thermos with the KBQ, at least until you get used to how it works and how the items you cook in it respond.

Most things cook faster in the KBQ. In my kamados I can usually keep a pretty good mental timeline on when things are getting close to the finish. My first few cooks on my KBQ took me by surprise at how much quicker they finished and I was glad to have had a remote read thermo plugged in to let me know what's up.

Sure the KBQ recovers temp quickly (but so do kamados actually) so that is not the issue, I just don't like the "hassle" of opening up a grill and sticking in a probe when I can have a readout on hand (and alarms set) to let me know when I'm close to the finish line.

One other thing I have found useful with having a remote read thermo in play is that monitoring the temp in the cooker I can see what the range of temps is between fan cycles and I set an alarm for about ten degrees lower than the normal low temp before the fan kicks back on. If that alarm goes off that reminds me that I've gotten distracted by something and really need to go back out and add fuel and fluff the coal bed.

I'm easily distracted so that has saved the bacon, so to speak, a few times.

Comment

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      Like Spinaker, I use my Fireboard to monitor the internal temperature and 2 more food probes. I also like the fact that I can be doing yard owrk, putzing around - whatever and also set an alarm for the internal. Like you Histrix I also get distracted ;-)

I picked up some Oakridge Black OPS for a brisket I'm making. It looks like the leading ingredient is salt. Seems like quite a few of you on here swear by this stuff. Do I still need to salt the brisket? Right now I'm going with the assumption the salt in the rub is plenty, but appreciate all feedback.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Just add the Black Ops as your DB. You will be good to go. I love Black Ops. It is my go too for brisket.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      👊🏻 badf00d

• SteinerBBQ
      SteinerBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys!

I've got to say the Lodge Sportsman's Grill was a genius idea! Such a great way to get a afternoon snack while waiting for the brisket and ribs to get done. Thanks for sharing the idea.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170903_135614.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	374009

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! Legion grows!!! I love it.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the idea of meat snacks while waiting for meat!

3 racks of baby backs and 3 racks of St Louis cut - trimmed, drying brining and ready for rub in the morning before going in the KBQ. Going to be some good Labor Day ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by Histrix View Post
      Sure the KBQ recovers temp quickly (but so do kamados actually) so that is not the issue, I just don't like the "hassle" of opening up a grill and sticking in a probe when I can have a readout on hand (and alarms set) to let me know when I'm close to the finish line.
      I like to open the door frequently, not only to gawk and poke and prod the meat, but also to force the smoke induction process. The more the door opens, the more time the cook spends under smoke.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd assume he's talking about what happens when you close the door again?

• Zac Jones
        Zac Jones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep. My thinking is that if you open the door when the fan is not running, the temp will drop faster and force the fan to kick back on sooner than it would have. The cooker still stays in the desired temp range, but spends more time under smoke.

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        When the fan is not running there is still smoke in the cook box being circulated by the "convection fan" it's not like the smoke inside just disappears.

LABOR DAY STEAKS!
      Today, I Sous Vide three 2" thick Bone-In Ribeye Steaks at 128.5°F for 2-1/2 hours.
      Then... KBQ seared on top using Kingsford Charcoal and Mesquite logs, and finally KBQ smoked at 148°F average.
      Internal temperature when pulled to rest was 131°F.
      Here are some photos.
      -

Name:	Sous Vide.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	374789Click image for larger version

Name:	Searing.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	374792Click image for larger version

Name:	20170904_121835.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	126.7 KB
ID:	374791
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great shots, Bill!

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Sir.

They were rubbed with 1/16" mesh cracked black pepper and kosher salt only.
      The eaters reviews...
      Very tender and juicy.
      Needed a bit more smoke, and a touch more rub.
      All stated the doneness was a perfect medium to medium rare.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven't tried keeping the KBQ that low. Difficult?

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes EdF, I had to "Hawk" and "Tweak" it to make 148°F happen during the time it smoked.
        It would suddenly change, and required close attention.

The steaks went inside the KBQ at 129°F to 131°F.
      They actually dropped to 127° to 128°F after 20 minutes or so.
      I pushed the KBQ up from a 140°F average to a 148°F average.
      At the end, I turned it up to full throttle for the last 7 minutes.

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx BBQ_Bill I have two prime 2" strip steaks SVed in the fridge but didn't sear this weekend. I'm liking your idea and will try it this week.
        Last edited by hogdog6; September 5, 2017, 10:15 PM.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Smoke On hogdog6!
        -
        So tell me, how did it go?
        Last edited by BBQ_Bill; September 10, 2017, 08:24 PM. Reason: Wanting to know how it went...

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ended up having to go out of town was not able to try your technique, but will soon.

I have a customer in Seattle who needs to sell his C-60. He's used it once, which was enough to conclude his residence is not suitable for a stickburner. I posted in the trade section, too. Hoping to find a local buyer. $1200 OBO.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        If I were him I'd keep the KBQ and sell the house.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Agreed.
        I wouldn't live where I couldn't BBQ.
        Home Owners Associations are generally a PITA!
        GLAD I MOVED!

Just got back home......

Name:	cameringo_20170910_140112.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	378318Click image for larger version

Name:	simple Que.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	378319

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweeet!
        About how long before they are ready Ernest?

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        BBQ_Bill these took 4 and half hours.

• SteveEd
        SteveEd commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest, your pics, all of them, are beauties. I really appreciate you posting them. I'm with you, keep the meat simple on the KBQ and let the meat and smoke do the talking. My ribs always come out a shiny mahogany with streaks of black bark, glaze or no glaze. 225, no brining, no spritzing, no wrapping. About 4.25 to 4.5 hours.

Smoked ribs, pork loin, and a brisket today...
      Attached Files

Comment

Holy Smoke!
        You need another KBQ!

Comment

BBQ_Bill I'm a minimalist when it comes to seasoning. I prefer the food to shine on its own. I believe that the scaled down "rub" has an effect on the finish product color.

Comment

Ernest you and Aaron Franklin are on the same page there with letting the meat flavor shine through
            He says, "What are you trying to hide with that added sauce?"
            "Don't you want that flavor you worked for to shine through?"
            -
            The shiny red glaze like surface on your ribs in these photos... is that from the red color of the chipotle powder and the fat rendering?
            It is like some sweet candy apple color, and I only see it with pork ribs, which I have never smoked as of YET.

Comment

BBQ_Bill I only get that color and gloss from KBQ. Same seasoning and temp on another smoker, not even close.
              I don't spritz or use BBQ sauce. Must be rib sweating HAHAHA

Comment

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                I just found out I LOVE rib sweat. Huh who knew 👍

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahhhh yes!!! That gorgeous KBQ Sheen.

• SteveEd
                SteveEd commented
                Editing a comment
                I forgot to add to my comment above that I don't sauce either. I provide it for the unsophisticated but never use it myself.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here