Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pork jello

Click image for larger version

Name:	cameringo_20170423_140743.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	309037

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah and I see those poppers back there too! You need to wrap some belly into one of those.

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Mmmmmmmmmm that's a great idea

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      hahahaha.......que the ridiculous food pics!

No sauce, no spritzing, no sugar. Salt, pepper, a little Cajun Spice blend and the secret ingredient..........KBQ!

Name:	cameringo_20170423_133253.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	362119

Name:	OMAD ribs.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	362120

Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 07:33 PM.

Comment

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful, Ernest. hogdog6 - I just got back from traveling for work for a week (and lost my weekend). I come back to this thread and I'm stoked to KBQ the brisket that's been waiting in my refrigerator for a few weeks.

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      dude! Those look beautiful

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      badf00d I know the feeling!

I think I'll do Costco racks of beef ribs this weekend. I haven't done those in a while.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Me too!

I am cooking for the Hunt Club this weekend. I am going to cook brisket, pork belly and some Beef ribs. The KBQ will be getting a work out.

Comment

Spinaker pack that KBQ!!

Comment

My best pork belly is cooked sous first at 140 for 24 hours. Chilled or frozen. Then KBQed

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        It's fully cooked and tender at that point. So I stick it in the KBQ for smoke and reheating. Those in the picture were in there for the last hour of the ribs cook. Slice the belly before smoking for extra surface area.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker salt, pepper and a little chipotle powder rub. Nothing else in the bag.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool! Thanks Brother!!!

A question for my fellow KBQers:

Do you think frog mats would adversely affect the airflow in a KBQ? I'm getting ready to do a mass quantity of boneless chicken thighs (between 30 and 49 pounds) and am thinking this would keep them from falling through and be easier to handle. Would be good for smoking bluefish later this summer as well.

Thoughts?

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you would be fine. I use wire racks all the time for wings and I haven't noticed anything, expect how easy it is to move them all out of the KBQ at once.

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        It should be fine. I called bill to ask about putting sheet pans under brisket to prevent it from dripping on other food etc. and he assured me to not be worried about convection as there is plenty to go around in the cookbox with the rack holders on the side and the fan etc. good luck!

These beef rack prices are going up huh?
      Used to be less than $4/lb, now $4.89.

I'm ready for the weekend.

Comment

Lots of rain in the forecast for the next week pushed me to KBQ a well wet-aged brisket this morning before a meeting at work. Smelled amazing, and Black Ops hasn't treated me wrong yet. Bagged it, and will finish it by sous vide (a la @docblonder) on Sunday to honor the anniversary of the passing of my stepdad.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          May it be a worthy paean!

Originally posted by badf00d View Post
        Lots of rain in the forecast for the next week pushed me to KBQ a well wet-aged brisket this morning before a meeting at work. Smelled amazing, and Black Ops hasn't treated me wrong yet. Bagged it, and will finish it by sous vide (a la @docblonder) on Sunday to honor the anniversary of the passing of my stepdad.
        As someone who has his first cook (spareribs) going on his new KBQ, and who cooks sous vide constantly, have you found it works better to sous vide before or after smoking? Enjoy that brisket, it sounds amazing.

Comment

I've done smoke-first a couple of times, and it came out well. But I need to get some more experience with smoke-last, to get a real opinion.

Comment

So, construction of the KBQ took longer than I hoped, so I didn't cook the ribs quite as much as I would have liked. They needed maybe another half hour, but were still absolutely amazing.

Name:	IMG_1239.JPG
Views:	287
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	311936

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Great looking first cook! Welcome to the KBQ family!

• cookingmadly
              cookingmadly commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! I'll be testing the longer cook tomorrow with some spare ... spare ribs, to leave my wife a nice dinner while I go visit my grandmother on Sunday. Since I'm firing the KBQ up for pulled pork anyway, I may as well cook more ribs. Right?

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing wrong with that! cookingmadly

The hunt club cook is coming.........T-Minus 7 hours and counting.........KBQ is ready for launch!

Comment

Originally posted by cookingmadly View Post
              As someone who has his first cook (spareribs) going on his new KBQ, and who cooks sous vide constantly, have you found it works better to sous vide before or after smoking? Enjoy that brisket, it sounds amazing.
              On my setup, with what I've cooked, it seems like smoking first gives me better bark. Maybe it's because the fat/collagen/water that slowly renders during smoking combines with the rub, heat, air and smoke, and that is what makes for quality bark? Doing sous vide first seems to rob it of a lot of that, probably because the liquid ends up in the bag, and never makes it to the smoker.
              Last edited by badf00d; April 29, 2017, 06:02 AM.

Comment

So it begins.........

Name:	IMG_2192.PNG
Views:	277
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	311998

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here