Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for asking so many questions here; I've been away from home for a couple months and will be back on Monday and am trying to plan everything for the week to make sure everything goes smoothly. Does anyone have any experience or tips with cleaning a KBQ without a power washer? Aka with just a hose or hose sprayer attachment? I have the Easy-Off heavy duty oven cleaner, and was planning on taking the racks out and cleaning them at home (edit: aka in the kitchen sink). I was just wondering if I should borrow my dad's power washer at Thanksgiving or if a hose and the oven cleaner would be sufficient to get it clean and ready for the next cook
    Last edited by krish the fish; November 18, 2017, 12:37 PM. Reason: clarification

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      I believe it was EdF who recommended vinegar.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I can't take the credit, but it's a good idea. We got one of those stainless mesh cloths that are supposed to be for cast iron. They work great on the grates. And a big pan in the bottom. Don't have to do the full wash out all that often.

• Dale Case
      Dale Case commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey krish. I just spray it out real good with a spray nozzle on my regular water hose, and wipe down the outside with some simple green or whatever cleaner you have. I spray the racks with same nozzle then wipe them clean with lysol spray cleaner ( wire brush any stubborn chunks with stainless brush).

krish the fish - might hit this link to my post from a few months ago - https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...618#post353618

I've always just used distilled white vinegar. I'll likely never use oven cleaner. Acetic acid easily wipes off the carbon/soot buildup. For whatever grease I can't scrape out I'll use 409 or the like. Always just rinsed with the garden hose - never felt the need to use my power washer.

Comment

• krish the fish
      krish the fish commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting! May have to pick up a jug of vinegar and try that first! Thank you!

Does anyone here have any experience with running their KBQ off of their car or truck battery with an inverter?
    I contacted KBQ (Bill Karau) yesterday, and he stated that the total amp draw of our KBQ C-60 units is about 1.3 Amps using around 100 Watts of power.
    Am pretty sure that awhile back there was also a statement that the motors did not need a "Clean" Sine wave.
    This would mean that the inverter could be the common less expensive one you could buy almost anywhere.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You know, that is a good question. That would be sweet if you could. I always have my truck right there anyway, when I am cooking.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, when I go out to the NASCAR races, I go there to cook/smoke meats for family and friends.
      They have motor homes with a Honda generator to augment power.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah.....and those are more than the KBQ! BBQ_Bill That would be awesome to do though. I bet you get a ton of attention.

Originally posted by BBQ_Bill View Post
    Does anyone here have any experience with running their KBQ off of their car or truck battery with an inverter?
    I contacted KBQ (Bill Karau) yesterday, and he stated that the total amp draw of our KBQ C-60 units is about 1.3 Amps using around 100 Watts of power.
    Am pretty sure that awhile back there was also a statement that the motors did not need a "Clean" Sine wave.
    This would mean that the inverter could be the common less expensive one you could buy almost anywhere.
    I was going to take exception with the 100 watts power draw until I ran it through an ohms law calculator. At 110 vac and 1.3 A draw makes it 143 watts. I'd expect some draw from the inverter as well but that should be minimal. It should work, but I am not sure how long a car battery will last. It may last a 12 hour cook.
    Last edited by lostclusters; November 20, 2017, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      100W may be the average power usage. Only one fan is generally running fulltime. A size 27 battery will run a 100W load for about 10 hours.

• KBQ
      KBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I get about 5 hours out of smallish motorcycle battery on a cheap inverter. The 100W is with both fans running; the low power factor of shaded pole motors explains the V*A vs. W mismatch.

So the bottom line is, an inexpensive 200 Watt inverter and my truck battery should work fine, especially if I start the truck every few hours and run it awhile to charge the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by lostclusters View Post

I was going to take exception with the 100 watts power draw until I ran it through an ohms law calculator. At 110 vac and 1.3 A draw makes it 143 watts. I'd expect some draw from the inverter as well but that should be minimal. It should work, but I am not sure how long a car battery will last. It may last a 12 hour cook.
    I thought the same thing when I first looked at the top engraving on the KBQ. Ohms law says V*I=W. So, 143W like you said.
    Tell you guys what, I have a Kill-O-Watt meter. I will hook it up next time I run the KBQ and settle this ;-)

In any case, an inverter 200W or greater would do fine.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Where you been man? We miss your smiling face.

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Spinaker, Happy Thanksgiving!
      My day jobs has been keeping me hopping....
      Still got in some time to do 2 points on the KBQ for Thanksgiving.
      Second year in a row. 1/2 the family voted just brisket next Thanksgiving ;-)

My wife had this old one stashed back.
    It is JUST what the "Doctor" ordered to run the KBQ's with my truck battery
    It even has TWO outlets! Woo Hoo!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yup!.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	413536

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      I will bring the Honda Generator along too. (Just in case)

Name:	74FD0772-945C-4B3E-A651-238BE3AE7481.jpeg
Views:	412
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	415667Click image for larger version

Name:	C2475B86-A326-4E2B-A5C3-C3169C847399.jpeg
Views:	391
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	415668
    Did a turkey breast today for just the wife and I, it was the 1st KBQ turkey I’ve done and it was without a doubt the best turkey we’ve ever eaten.
    Dry brined over night cooked at 325* using peach wood until reached 180*. It was moist, perfect smoke profile, with crispy skin. KBQ always seems to deliver!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great! Rough time to cook?

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_133318.jpg Views:	3 Size:	5.95 MB ID:	418259Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_110916.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.76 MB ID:	418262
    I learned today that you should have a large coal bed before you throw on one of these. But they work good for smoking in our KBQ. Scrub Oak is the species and it is fairly abundant in the Fallbrook area in California. It has an excellent smoke profile, bark and all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171202_155013.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.06 MB ID:	418263

And some of the output. Marinaded salmon. Cabbage and cauliflower drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with salt and peper. Oh and BTW, the salmon does not come out of the KBQ that way. Once out of the KBQ with an IT of 125, it goes under the broiler for a bit. I know that drives you salmon guys nuts, sorry. It is really yummy that way. This had all the smoke flavor I could want. Bottom poppet open all the way, top poppet open an eighth after wood burnt almost to coals.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171118_122702.jpg Views:	1 Size:	5.23 MB ID:	418271
    Last edited by lostclusters; December 3, 2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I want one of those too. I hear they are slick.

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      I live in Oceanside. Kindling Cracker is on the way. Never tried Avocado, thanks for the heads up.
      Last edited by lostclusters; December 4, 2017, 12:20 AM.

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      We lived on a sub-divided avocado grove in Poway, had 55 trees. Father didn't smoke or BBQ, but thinking of the area got me curious. Google search shows it's a good choice for smoking. Let us know how it fares if you try it. Avocado is non-existent in NE Washington....

Name:	20171203_135700.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	418718

Name:	20171203_135801.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	418719

There it is, my smoke re-director. I use it so my neighbors down the line do not get too smoked out. When I ordered my KBQ I read about folks having to sell their stick burners due to HOAs and upset neighbors. I DID NOT want to be one of those guys. I posted here, in the Pit Club forum, in hopes to get ideas on how to construct one. Did not really get any. So I MacGyvered this. What did it cost me? About $75, mostly at Harbor Freight.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Next time you set this up, you should take a video. I would be cool to this in action. I would like to see how much smoke it pulls. Sorry, just curious.

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      The way the collector is configured now it catches any of the smoke that is blown back towards my house. If it is not there to catch the smoke, it blows around the corner of my house and straight into my neighbors windows. Any smoke that goes near the front of the collector gets sucked in. And that is on the low setting of the fan. I have not felt the need to use the high setting yet.

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoke re-director... That's KB Qool!

I wonder if you could make a modified version of this contraption for cold smoking meat?

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      I can not imagine why it could not.

Here's a proven cold smoke setup from a customer in Little Rock AR:
    A-MAZE-N tube in Firebox, lid on, top poppet open, bottom poppet shut, thermostat maxed for continuous draw
    <5F rise over ambient

Name:	coldsmokekbq.png
Views:	366
Size:	667.4 KB
ID:	419675
    Attached Files

Comment

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      Great idea! I own both so I will definitely try this!

When I cold smoke cheese I just use the cook box with my Amazen pellet tray sitting on the bottom of the cook box and don't even bother with the fans/firebox. There's enough holes in the cook box that air is able to flow in and smoke flows out on its own. Nver had any problems with the pellets snuffing out due to lack of oxygen.

Comment

I just finished reading each and every one of these 1273 posts! Man, I need to get a life.

Anyway, I'm going to be cooking four briskets on my KBQ this weekend for a fundraiser. They need the meat Saturday at 10am, so I'm thinking I can start cooking somewhere around 7-8pm Friday? I've never done two briskets at once let alone four. Haven't gotten the meat yet so I can't wet age it. Hoping for some Choice Agnus if Sam's has any. Dry-brining for 24 hours, then BBBR just before cooking. Will run water in the steam pan at the bottom, put the briskets fat cap down with the point to the back and close to the door. It's going to be extremely cold for the area, in the 40's, as I feed the fire and cat-nap all night. Got a bunch of mesquite and will probably pick up some hickory or oak to make sure I don't run out. I usually set the thermostat to turn off at 250 and it'll cycle down into the 235-240 range before kicking on again. Shooting for a 10-12 hour cook which will give me a couple hours for them to rest. Will probably spritz a little with 50/50 apple juice/cider vinegar, but can't guarantee I won't be so sleepy I might drink the apple and toss my coffee on the food lol!

Any advice? I've read a lot and it's all kind of swimming around in my head. Trying to apply all that I've learned...

Thanks!

Comment

• KBQ
        KBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        This is squarely in BBQ_Bill 's wheelhouse!

• ls1m
        ls1m commented
        Editing a comment
        Wouldn't drip pans under each brisket impede airflow?

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        I would also rotate them every couple hours. since there is a heat diff top to bottom. I also rotate which side is closer to heat (point vs flat)

Okay ls1m...
      are you ready for a smallish "Billy Brisket Book"?
      Well, ready or not, here goes my friend:
      My ULTIMATE brisket procedure will "Choke a Horse" and "Drive a Sane Man Wild" (not to mention make a preacher cuss) so I won't go into all of those crazy details here.
      -
      You say serving time is Saturday at 10 AM?
      I take Friday off to serve brisket on Saturday morning at 11 AM.
      It is just better, always better.
      -
      I HAVE just so happened to have made a good file on timing my brisket smokes.
      My commitment is that the brisket MUST rest at the VERY least, for a TWO hour minimum before being sliced, and my belief is that it is "technically" still cooking while resting AFTER being pulled from the heat.
      So if it was pulled from the oven to rest, or pulled from the smoker at 200°F plus whatever to rest it needs two hours to come down slowly.
      -
      Resting to ME is defined as the time it sits, slowly dropping in temperature to about 145°F or 150°F internal temperature taken at the spot where the point muscle stops on the fatty side, and right in the middle of the thickest part of the flat away from the fat.
      THAT area, is the "sweet spot" where judgement as to doneness and the temperature taking area is defined.
      (Sort of like that "bulb" end slid back under your tongue when Mother used an oral thermometer to check for the good old 98.6°F when I was a boy
      -
      In the resting time after being pulled from the heat, I want a CONTROLLED and slow descent from my normal 230/235°F.
      The resting for my brisket is to be done at a room or cabinet temperature of 110°F with high humidity, still paper wrapped and on a rack over a 1" deep cookie type pan.
      -
      Aaron Franklin rests his briskets, still paper wrapped on "Speed Racks" in the smoker room, which is generally over 100°F.
      He then wheels them into another room and places them into holding cabinets for the CRUCIAL long holding period.
      This hold is for 9 to 11 hours, yes, THAT long.
      So Aaron's briskets get about a two hour rest, where the brisket is "winding down" in temperature, and then they get a 10 hour hold. This is the norm for the best "brisket on the planet" in MANY customers opinions.
      -
      Okay...
      If I start at 7-8 PM on a Friday night, (depending on size, fat content, smoker temp, oven temp, water yes/no, spritz yes/no, AND... how many are in the KBQ) I will expect them to be done and starting the rest at 7-8 AM all the way to 1-2 PM.
      Then there is another 10 hours of hold.
      -
      Your 7-8 PM start is simply cutting it too close in my book for a 10 AM serving.
      I have had one of three briskets take an extra 4 hours, AND had two of three take an extra 2 hours.
      I NEVER know!
      So basically I want a cushion, a HUGE cushion and then the hold period is my friend with NO pressure!
      -
      I started three once at 4 PM, and they were not done until 9 AM the next morning!
      THEY GOT TWO HOURS REST, BUT NO HOLD.
      I started cutting and selling at 11 AM and by 11:25 AM they were gone, sold, nothing left.
      -
      I'd start as early as I could on Friday, and remember, they are better after being held, MUCH better.
      -
      Also, I stopped doing 4 briskets in one KBQ.
      Too much hassle with bark problems and with doneness problems.
      To get good bark I started taking the bottom one (number 4) and swapping it with the top one (number 1) as well as moving number 2 down to where 3 was and then put number 3 where number 2 was.
      -
      This was my 4 brisket pattern.
      I used to repeat this pattern over and over, about every 25°F rise in internal temperature.
      Finally gave up and decided that four full packers in one KBQ is just too much man, just unreasonable in the demand to get them all right and barky and done correctly.
      -
      If I were you, I would pick the three heaviest ones after trimming and go with those and forget the 4th one.
      I would also start as EARLY as I could on Friday, and if they are done early, that hold period is sublime.
      Just my experience and advise my friend...
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; December 6, 2017, 11:01 PM.

Comment

• ls1m
        ls1m commented
        Editing a comment
        So when would you say the ideal start time is? It's not being served at 10; it's being picked up at 10 and the doors open at 11. I have a convection oven I can hold the finished product in. Don't have any butcher paper but got tons of heavy duty foil.

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was happy to see you chimed in on this Bill, since I’ve read and used your brisket knowledge for my cooks my brisket has never been better. Thanks for sharing experiences!

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks hogdog6.
        It is encouraging to hear good reports after trying so hard to help those that are struggling.
        My "School of Hard Knocks" beat me up on brisket for awhile, but God has blessed me, and I feel confident in the consistent quality now.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here