Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So do you all try to cook with the lid on or lid off?

Comment

• Dale Case
      Dale Case commented
      Editing a comment
      Always on.

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      I rarely have the top lid on.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Lid on for my 1st go round

This rain is messing up my KBQing plans. I had a a rack of lamb and a steak ready for KBQ reverse sear action!!

Comment

Oh my, with the weather here in the Northeast getting better, time to clean up and work outside.
      My wife spys a black cherry tree and says - "can you cut that down, it's leaning on the other one?"

Let me see, cherry wood, KBQ, no brainer ;-)

Lucky me! Cut and split to fit the KBQ. In 4 months should be ready to go!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170416_155455 (Large).jpg
Views:	293
Size:	227.8 KB
ID:	306003

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Unstoppable combo!

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF, I used a small chain saw to cut the tree down and into 6" lengths. I picked up a small 5 ton splitter from Harbor Freight. It was more to split wood for the KBQ. Works well for that (not so good on large logs).

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks JGrana!

Now that I've spent some time thinking about my 1st KBQ cook the flavor was great however both the ribs and chuckie were a little dry. The ribs had a jerky like exterior and the roast got quite dry I neglected to dry brine the roast overnight like I normally do so that may be part of it. I'm wondering if unlike my BGE and PBC that both naturally cook in a humid environment KBQ cooks need to either be spritzed or use a water pan? Looking for some advise from the experienced KBQers out there. I like the idea of a water pan, have read through most of the above posts and I don't recall reading anyone using one?

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
        Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Last cook ran ribs around 235 with heavy seasoning for about 2 hours 15 minutes. Bark set and internal temp of meat was 170. Wrapped with brown sugar and butter. Checked at exactly 1 hour later and tenderness was perfect

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
        Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Internal temp was at 198. Put back in kbq for 5 minutes. Fan helps dry up bark. Then sauced lightly and went another 10 minutes. Best ribs yet imho
        Last edited by Sacred Smoke BBQ; April 17, 2017, 06:31 PM.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        My outcomes have been good so far - nothing particularly dried out, despite the convection. But I'm starting to think about the wood moisture level.

hogdog6 strange. I've never experienced dry food from the KBQ.
      What temp did u run it?
      Did you monitor the temp? There knob is really just a guide. Gets in the ballpark of your desired temp. Thou still need to use a thermometer.

Comment

I did monitor the temp and ran it at 230 average. Right at about 1.5 hours lost my coal bed and it got down to 160 for a short time while I got some lump in the hopper to get get the coals back, stayed on track from there. Pulled the baby back ribs at about 3.5 hours when they were passing the bend test. They were fairly meaty so I was able to temp them and they were a little done at 160*. The chuckie I pulled at 200* when prove tender I let it push through the stall no wrapping, then Cambro for 1.5 hours.

Comment

hogdog6 mighty strange. How about the rub, have you cooked with it before?

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Memphis dust on the ribs 1st time ever used it. Salt and pepper on the chuckie all I ever use on beef.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You don't need a water pan. That won't help anything. Brining does make a big difference. So if you missed this step, this could be the culprit. Give it another run. This time make sure you dry brine the chuckle and the ribs. This could just be a fluke. hogdog6

Thanks all!! Definitely looking forward to another cook. Love this my new pit.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Make sure you give us more pictures of that view!!! Gorgeous!

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Spinaker will do.

I just ate some leftover ribs and magic happened in the fridge, the jerky exterior was gone and those are without a doubt the best ribs I've ever eaten.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha, the Old Fridge Cambro strikes again! Sometimes I think BBQ tastes better the next day too! Your not alone, my friend.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha!

Inaugural cook on my KBQ. I purchased a Baby Back and Spare Rib from SRF. Originally intended to cook both of these on Sunday, but the Baby's were so small that I decided to make them for lunch today.

Started the KBQ with half a chimney of lump coal, and added a mix of post oak and cherry throughout. Was shooting for 225, but started to ramp it up a bit towards the end due to hangery wife.

Started at 10:00am, target temp 225. Top and bottom smoke, lid on. Had the dial half way between 188 and 232, seemed to bounce between 220 and 243 pretty consistently.
          Added wood (swapping between Post Oak and Cherry) every ~30 minutes or so.
          At noon, the ribs were around 185, and I knew the wife was hungry, so I bumped the dial up a bit.
          Sauced em at 12:30 and let them go another 30 minutes
          1:00 pulled em' out and served.

The ribs themselves were great, the meat was very high quality. I didn't have to do any trimming, and the membrane came up very easily. The bark that formed was like a crispy candy. Pretty good smoke ring. I'm usually a heavy sauce person, but these didn't get any additional sauce, they were great. The bones were clean after we ate, though I felt they were perhaps a tad overdone.

My wife said they were good, but was put off by the small size. I think it clouded her judgement, "too small, too tender, if that's a think... I've had better from you, this was not your best work, but it was solid."

I knew this one tiny rack wasn't going to be enough for the two of us to split, so after I pulled the ribs out, I tossed in two frozen Foster Farms corn dogs for fun. Those things turned out pretty good after 30 minutes of smoke. I may have to try chicken nuggets and fish sticks for the kids next time (we call that "surf and turf" in our house).

Thanks to everyone on this site and specifically this thread for inspiring me to buy the KBQ! It's a remarkable machine.

Name:	20170422_131313.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	337.2 KB
ID:	308543Click image for larger version

Name:	20170422_131442.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	322.4 KB
ID:	308544

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Like your story-telling too! Good adventures to you!

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Cook looks looks great. I'm going to do "Surf & Turf" for my grandkids next time they visit. Love it!

Fellow KBQ'ers help! I am looking for a smoked bean recipe that will go with my Ribs, Chicken, and Sausage dinner tomorrow night. Decided on the beans late tonight so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Today did a couple chickens brined in the fridge overnight. Turned out good my son who loves pit barrel chicken came for a visit and couldn't get over how delicious the smoke flavor was said best chicken he's ever had. For me the flavor was great but the skin was not bite through like I wanted due to never being able to get the temps above 300*. I cannot figure out why, had the knob turned on high, the fan ran the entire time. Started out dirty and clean smoke lid on, the went to just clean smoke lid on thinking that would help temps rise but didn't. I used oak and had a great coal bed the whole time, I never let it get low on wood. Ambient temp was around 60* with a less than 10mph breeze. There is nothing I can think of that would have caused the temps to be low. My last cook I had the knob less than 1/2 way and ran at 240* average no problem and my coal bed wasn't as consistent on that cook, "let it get away from me once". This pit is really fun to run and I couldn't be happier with the flavor. But my low temp rubbery skin was a little frustrating.
            I measured temp with my maverick attached to the top of the shelf and my cook took 2 hours and 45 minutes.

Name:	IMG_0261.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	308675Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	308676
            Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome pictures. I would love to wake up to that every morning!

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear you Spinaker!

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I have to admit I'm excited ever day to open my blinds and see the view. I've been here for 2.5 years and still cannot get over how fortunate I am to live here.

hogdog6 strange. Maybe run it at full Temp for a few minutes before putting the bird in.

Comment

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              I did not get it to temp before hanging the birds. Good idea 👍

hogdog6 For some reason my top end temps and fan off/on can range quite a bit too, from 270-290. I hang the chickens as low and far back in the pit as possible. I swap the birds out about half way through to give them both as much time at the back as possible which really helps getting the skin crispy. Another thing I do is leave them in a lil longer based on IT. I used to pull at 160, now wait to 170-175. Meat is still moist and skin more crispy.

Comment

Oh yeah!!!

Name:	cameringo_20170423_133208.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	308928

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL. Of course it is!!!

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh man!!! I've never done pork belly. It is now very high on the list.

• Dale Case
              Dale Case commented
              Editing a comment
              Mm mm mmmmmmm

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here