Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EdF im aware of the affect of the fan but shouldn't my brisket or shoulder internal temps still be finishing at much higher temps? They're overcooked in the low 190's

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      DSiewert I figured out that it was multiple problems. I have a faulty probe. I discussed where to get temp readings with Bill by email and he explained to just use the port on control box. Also airflow being blocked on bottom shelf with pan. Coming out dry and crumbling/shredding when sliced

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Editing a comment
      DSiewert the gist of it was that I was cooking at low temperature for long periods and the meat was finished at lower than normal internal temps. But I kept cooking and didn't check for tenderness until internal temps were at a certain point

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Editing a comment
      DSiewert also my temp sensor was pretty caked up and that was throwing things off. And Bill confirmed that was a possible contributing factor. Figured out air flow issue after the fact when i didnt use a pan (I usually don't use pan). Once all figured out I had a great next cook

hogdog6 ComfortablyNumb - it being on the table I've nicknamed my KBQ "The Silver Surfer" - glad to see others "hanging ten"!

I may have posted this pic earlier in this thread. Given that the opening for fluffing the coals is near eye level I made some simple screens that will lessen the likelihood of a spark/ember jumping into my eyeball. They are also handy in windy conditions to lessen the chance of something a few feet away from catching an ember and lighting up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KBQ Spark Screen.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	329802

Comment

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Excellent idea. Thx again!

So get this......I cleaned off my kbq temp sensor and cooked some ribs today. They took longer to cook than normal. I had become accustomed to not using my probe for temp after pit was up to temp. I'll spot check it on top but not full time. Now I blieve that the temp sensor was so caked up that it was over shooting it's target temp before turning off. I was cooking everything too hot. But that still doesn't explain my overcooked brisket at 192. Maybe I also have a faulty probe too? I have always been suspicious of my maverick probes. BTW the ribs came out great!!

Comment

I had a fridge/freezer malfunction this weekend, which forced me to advance a SRF Brisket Cook. I've never done a brisket before, but have always wanted too... was planing on 4th of July weekend, but life had it's own plans.

Started this 11.5 lb brisket (pre-trim) at 6am and cut at 6pm. It was about 11 hours in the KBQ with an hour of resting. I wanted to give it a solid 2 hours resting, buy I had hungry guests, so compromised a bit. End results were fantastic! The smoke ring was a little subdued, but the meat itself was out of this world. It passed the pull test with flying colors and required zero sauce.

Details:
      SRF Black Brisket
      Oakridge Black Ops rub
      Post Oak wood, clean smoke
      6am meat in the cooker
      2m wrapped w/butcher paper
      4:45pm faux cambro
      6:00pm first cut

I had a mishap at noon where I turned the fan off to re-stock the wood... and forgot to turn the fan back on. That cost me a little bit, but no bid deal. In the end, everyone was happy!

Name:	P6110090.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	300.7 KB
ID:	331928Click image for larger version

Name:	P6110068.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	385.9 KB
ID:	331929

Comment

Sweet!!!

Comment

Prime Short Ribs on the KBQ! Love them! Next time, I am going to try to overcook them to about 210, they were nice and juicy. I also want to try to braise in beef broth to try to get them to render more. Prime grade is great but they sometimes are almost too fatty for my liking. KBQ always does wonders for the color! Seasoned with Meat Church Holy Cow

Name:	IMG_9400.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	296.8 KB
ID:	332520Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9405.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	332521Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9407.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	332522

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Great pictures! I can see that pepper from the Holy Cow.

• JGrana
            JGrana commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice, some serious good looking beef. Looks like a lot. Can I come over for supper ;-)?
            My wife is making a spinach and cheese quiche for dinner tonight. At least I have some pea meal bacon from Canada to balance the meal.
            After looking at your cook, I am going to have a tough time tonight...

Well I told Spinaker the other day I may have some bad kbq news. I'm moving into a townhouse and will not be allowed to use it per HOA rules. We reviewed the rules closely. Specifically says gas and charcoal briquettes only. I didn't want to push lump charcoal issue because I can hide that easily. I'll post it for sale in the next day or 2. Pray for my kbq recovery

Comment

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            Truly sad news! Do you have a friend or co-worker that could keep it for you and let you cook on weekends or etc? Maybe in exchange for a rack of ribs every now and then?

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
            Editing a comment
            kmhfive my parents would be only place I can think of but I would hardly ever get to cook. Just thankful I can still use charcoal. Around here they usually only allow gas when it comes to condo/townhomes

• cookingmadly
            cookingmadly commented
            Editing a comment
            My only thought there is attend the next HOA meeting, if they have them on a regular schedule, and ask for an exception. The KBQ isn't exceptionally large, perhaps they'd allow it?

I think we need to band together as Pit Members and take down HOAs of all kind. They represent a Clear and Present Danger to the World of BBQ.

Let us UNITE!!!!

Comment

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree! Where do I sign up?

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
            Editing a comment
            Fully agree!!!!

• cookingmadly
            cookingmadly commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh man, my HOA is SO draconian. I need their permission to install a bbq island or hot tub in my back yard. It's insane. Though it's not like I actually FOLLOW their rules...

HOA's are horrible. My son in law was having bad experiences in one. It was ridiculous all the members turning each other in for violations, so he ran for HOA president and won. New rules. You want to complain about a violation? Your name, signature and address is required on the letter sent to the violator. Yes you guessed it, all petty complaints stopped and some of the ridiculous rules were put up for a vote and got changed including cooking with charcoal (they had a gas only rule). Hope you can find a way to hang on to your KBQ.

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Ditto Histrix. But even if you find yourself in a HOA find a way and cook on! 🔥

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
            Editing a comment
            My in-laws have been in an HOA for over 20 years. Father just became president and said non-stop petty stuff. I'll show him this idea. Thanks. We're lucky they allow charcoal here

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Hope it works out for you! There's rules and then there's the reality of whether there's actually an issue. You know how that goes!

"Fire"... Yep that's all I have to say.

Name:	IMG_0369.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	334442

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd be drunk every sunrise and sunset with that view.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Haha it's good I don't drink, or I'm sure that's how it would be. I don't know how that's possible though because I fish, hunt, and BBQ.

• DSiewert
            DSiewert commented
            Editing a comment
            Everyone is so happy to show off their shiny, new kbq, but I like seeing the pictures of the fireboxes that actually have had their share of usage...

Hi all,

Regretfully I've decided to sell my KBQ. Sports activities for my kids have picked up and I just don't have the time to spend cooking with this unit and want it to be put to good use.

Unit was purchased last year, used 5 times and in great shape. Asking $1,200 and that will include the cover and full size deep stainless steam pan that I bought.

I live in Southeast Iowa and am willing to deliver or meet soneone within two hours of Iowa City. Reply to this post if interested and we can trade contact info.

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
            Editing a comment
            Check this one out Baker Dan. I believe this isn't too far from you

• Baker Dan
            Baker Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            I sent you a private message

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Although I'm sad for you guys who need to give it up, I'm happy that there appears to be a very small second-hand market developing. And that it's among good folk.

I am preparing for my daughters first birthday which we are celebrating with a BBQ of course. To cut down on my smoker time and make things a little easier on myself I will be using my immersion circulator and will be preparing sausage ahead of time. Pulled pork, chicken and sausage are on the menu and wanted to ask you guys about my approach. This will be the most complex cook I will have attempted yet, if you have any advice, or feedback on timing I would appreciate it!

Questions
          1. I am planning on serving food at 5, how would you time things? Maybe light up the KBQ at 2, pork on at 2:30, chicken on at 3:30, pork off at 4:00, chicken off at 4:45?
          2. Would the pork be significantly better if I chilled it between sous viding and smoking? I see Ernest recommends chilling, but that would add a couple hours to the cook time to re-therm.
          3. If I were prepare the sausage a week before would you freeze it?

Notes:
          Sous vide/smoked Jerk Pork Shoulder
          • coat shoulder in salt and lightly coat in jerk paste
          • Circulate at 160 for 18-24 hours
          • Pat dry and liberally coat in jerk paste
          • Smoke primarily to establish bark at 300 or max setting ~90 minutes, I am essentially following this preparation
          • Park in 170 degree oven until ready to pull
          Smoked Chicken Thighs
          • pat dry and coat chicken in salt/rub
          • place uncovered in fridge for 24 hours
          • Smoke at 300 or max setting till I hit 175 degrees internal ~60 minutes
          • Coat in BBQ sauce and cook for another 15 minutes
          Smoked/Grilled Pork Sausage
          • Days before, smoke at 250 till I hit 160 degrees internal ~45 minutes
          • Fridge/Freeze
          • Grill during the party

Comment

• DSiewert
            DSiewert commented
            Editing a comment
            I think Ernest likes to chill the meat before smoking because the cold meat will take on smoke flavor better. The pork shoulder could be cooked in the sous vide even a day ahead of time and then chilled before smoking. Let us know how it turns out.

Here's what I did a couple of weeks back for pulled pork. Came out fine: Update 6/10/17, 2 picnics: 165 for 18, chilled, on the KBQ at 245 for 2 hours to hit 170. Low smoke setting. Decent if not meteorite bark, but that was expected trading off with the IT.

You should be fine with your plan. I doubt that you'll need the full hour for the thighs on max.

Comment

JoeDSM Fire up the KBQ at noon and have the shoulder in there at 225 until around 2:30.
            Sausages don't take long to cook. Get the sausages in with the shoulder until 3:30. Max out and toss the chicken in until just before serving. Toss the chicken on the fire box for a quick second.

I chill mine because I smoke it at low temp. It is already cooked tender at this point. The smoking is really just seasoning.
            If you SV at 160 then smoke at 300, you risk heating it beyond IT 160 and will pretty much negate the SV benefits.

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              EdF I think he's only SVing the shoulder. Not sure why he wants to cook the sausages days in advance. He can cook (smoke) them while smoking the shoulder.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Makes sense - I had a bit of a hard time interpreting the plan he started with.

• JoeDSM
              JoeDSM commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the tips Ernest and EdF, I am only SV-ing the shoulder, and I am making the sausage ahead of time because of all the work that goes into that. I figured make>smoke>freeze>grill was a better option then make>freeze>smoke>grill.

And the KBQ can be used as a smokey cambro with the temp set to low.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here