Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm bringing back all the photos that crapped up with Photobucket-gate!!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      Settings make it easier to view threads? And all this time I've been using spectacles.....BTW, young man, I never forget. I may space out, or have a senior moment, but I never forget. Um, what were we talking about?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      LOL. If you want to change yours.....go to user settings>account then scroll down to "posts per page". There are various settings from 5 per page to 40 per page. Just an FYI. ComfortablyNumb

• Zac Jones
      Zac Jones commented
      Editing a comment
      Fantastic! I never got to see those and I'll be sure to reread the thread after you clean up after them. What a disaster... all over the internet photo outage.

A KBQ finds its way into the hands of another wizened carnivore.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KBQ in da house!.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	360727

Comment

And I had to call this "the one for the veggies" to get spouse approval.

Name:	PK!.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	129.9 KB
ID:	360743

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome!!! Welcome to the KBQ family.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Zac Jones - strikes me that you made exactly the right choice as to which to use for what!

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome Zac Jones to the family of the KBQ. Love the PK it is my MCS list.

Zac Jones you, sir, are a genius! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Welcome to the KBQ family

Comment

So on the menu tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at eight racks of St Louis ribs, then finish up the day with on full blast with a two trays of bone-in chicken breasts and two trays of wings. Memphis Dust on four racks of ribs, Spicy Memphis Dust on the other four. Simon & Garfunkel and Avocado Oil on the chix (thx Spinaker).

I have not yet tried this Simon and Garfunkel, but I hear it's pretty tasty so I ordered up a pound or two of all the green stuff from Amazon, and went to Costco for the sugar and black pepper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170810_090545.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.92 MB ID:	361140

Blended, measured, blended again, and mixed everything up in a garbage bag, ran it through the sealer, and ended up with eighteen 1-liter pouches of vacuum sealed Simon and Garfunkel goodness for me and my friends. Ended up being less than $10 for each 1 liter bag. Not bad at all.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170811_222325.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.93 MB ID:	361141

I had seen avocado oil in the specialty stores, but I just stumbled across it today at Costco for $15 per 2L bottle! Snatched that right up.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170811_225617.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.74 MB ID:	361142

Anyway I hope I'm not too far off topic for this thread. Can't wait for the first fire tomorrow.

Comment

• Dale Case
          Dale Case commented
          Editing a comment
          The Simon & Garfunkel is awesome !! I think you will really like it

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          if you want to get rid of any of those S&G rub bags let me know! Ill venmo or paypal!

• Zac Jones
          Zac Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          No problemo! PM sent.

John Henry It took about 10 days but I think I managed to replaced all the Photobucket pictures in this thread.

Comment

• SteinerBBQ
          SteinerBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! Really appreciate it.

• Zac Jones
          Zac Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          Awesome. Can't wait to have a looksee.

• John Henry
          John Henry commented
          Editing a comment
          Ernest: You da' man! Sorry so late with reply but this is great news as seeing your work inspires us all! Thank you for taking time to restore those awesome images.

Now that I have Lodge Sportsman grill grate for the top of my firebox, I am wondering if there is anything that I would not put on it. Pork Butt, ribs (either), salmon, ... I'll bet it will crisp chicken and turkey skin like nobodies business. Thoughts? I was not going to list salmon but I usually finish that under the broiler, but ... Maybe no longer! My youngest just asked me if I could make the salmon more crispy on the fatter pieces (he's 34).

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Knock yourself out!

• Zac Jones
          Zac Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm gonna get one too. Can't wait to see how it works out.

My new KBQ has been in my garage for 10 days now. First test cook tomorrow with a rack of St Louis spares and chicken thighs. I am cooking in my first KCBS contest this sunday and will be using the KBQ, PBC, and the SNS. 35 teams from all over the Midwest are competing . It is in McHenry IL. The McHenry Rotary Blues Brews and BBq festival. If you are in the area Sunday come on out and listen to some good music and have a fine brew. Look for "The Pork Bro's " and say Hi ! 2 red awnings with a banner.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck!

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          Best of luck! Anything but DAL is a win!

• bbqncigars
          bbqncigars commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck. Some years ago, I put two municipal water plants on line in that town.

Anyone have trouble with opening the KBQ during a cook? I smoked 8 pork butts yesterday for about 12 hours. During the last few hours of the cook, I had trouble opening the door. I had to literally wedge it open with a screw driver in order to Open it. Does anyone have advice on how to prevent this? By the way, the pork turned out great!

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          I too have had the door stick.
          Mine was what KBQ mentioned.
          Spritz.
          I used hot water and a cotton washcloth to wipe the over-spray off of the edges.

• Zac Jones
          Zac Jones commented
          Editing a comment
          The door handle mod may help in getting a little extra purchase on the door. I picked up a set off ebay but haven't installed them yet. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Add-On-D...gAAOSw42dZHHD0

• Ericm
          Ericm commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the comments and suggestions, I purchased the mod from BBQ_Bill and it made a noticeable difference. I tested it with a long 12 hour cook Thursday night and was able to open the door with ease. Thanks Bill!

I ordered my KBQ at the beginning of the month and asked Mr. Karau to ship it out the last week of the month so I can get it on August 1st (when I'll next be home; my fiancée would not be pleased with me if I had it delivered while I wasn't home and she had to deal with the boxes). I'm anxiously and not-so-patiently counting down the days, both to be home and see her and the dogs, but also to get my KBQ up and running.

I ordered Bill's mod set (thanks again Bill, can't wait to get it all set up!) and just put in an order for my wood from Fruita (50 lbs each of post oak and honey crisp apple), a pair of the "bear claw"-type meat shredders and the BBQ gloves that Meathead recommends, and I have my Thermoworks Smoke sitting with Bill's mods ready to make the trip back home. I think now all I need is to pick up some meat and maybe some lump charcoal to start the fire and get going!

I think I'm going to do a couple pounds of chicken wings and a pork shoulder for my first smoke over Labor Day. I'll be sure to take some pictures and document the process. Couldn't be more excited to get this baby in and start smoking!

Comment

Sounds excellent!
          Thank you kindly for your purchase of the Door Kit.
          Looking forward to your photos.
          Smoke On!

Comment

• Zac Jones
            Zac Jones commented
            Editing a comment
            Reading on in the thread I see you're the one I got the door handles from. Thanks!

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            You are most welcome Zac.
            Happy to be of service.

Well my first cook turned out great. Plenty of smoke flavor, but it was not the flavor I'm used to. I liked it. Ribs were great at 3.5hrs, 4hrs and 4.5hrs at 215-250 on mostly Mesquite with a little white oak. I think I liked the 3.5 hr ribs the best, I guess I like them a little toothy. Sorry no pictures. I ended up not doing the chicken as it was getting late. Mistake. I should have just cooked it anyway. Because the problem with the garage fridge for meat AND beer is that you're bound to do something stupid to the meat eventually because of the beer. Well it happened on day 1. Guess I didn't close the fridge all the way because when I went out in the morning it was wide open! Lost 7 racks of cryo STL ribs and 20# of the
          Garfunkel wings. I didn't spend enough time when we moved that fridge from the kitchen to the garage, as it isn't leveled right and wants to swing open. So I finally got around to fixing it. Fingers crossed that doesn't happen again.

Anyway I wasn't able to get any airflow on the wings like Spinaker suggested-- they were just wrapped up in a bag. So I looked high and low and finally found a solution to dry brining in my fridge. Very happy with the setup. Amazon comes through again.

Name:	20170818_141203.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	364718

Name:	20170818_160727.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	364719

That's 64 party wings!

And I've got some ribs, country style ribs and tri-tip on the bottom shelf for tomorrow. I'm already finding a need for another 3-pack of those stacking racks for a total of 9.
          They stack 4-5 high just fine.

Anyway chicken wings are on the menu tonight, I think I'll try just sliding that rack in there like Spinaker suggested. And pics and thoughts will follow this time.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Great rack! (no double-entendre intended). About that other part, sorry to hear it - I hate it when that happens!

• Zac Jones
            Zac Jones commented
            Editing a comment
            These racks cleaned up great too. Soak overnight, quick hit with the scrubby sponge and into the dishwasher. Super easy cleanup, even around the hinges.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170818_175424.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.31 MB ID:	365164

And into the KBQ they go, from zero to full blast for at least 40 minutes, maybe up to an hour. We're doing mesquite for this cook... that hunk of cherry is just sitting there to protect the LCD display from the sun on the thermoworks thermometer that was included with the KBQ. Nice touch from the BK to include that quality thermometer.

​
          Temp got up to 330 at 30 minutes.

I'm gonna open it up and check the wings at 40 minutes.

Ok after 45 minutes the skinny ones on the top two racks were 180+. Took them off and put the rest back in.

Quite tasty. Not super crispy but nice flavor, especially when served piping hot. Maybe finishing over the firebox would show improvement.

After an hour the rest were done. In hindsight I should have just left them all in for an hour. 48 Simon and Garfunkel and 16 salt/pepper/garlic/chili flakes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170818_191805.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.71 MB ID:	365171

Both were really good when piping hot, not quite as good after they'd cooled down some. Crispy wings eat better when cooled off than these did.

All in all I was fairly happy with the end result. Could have been crispier for sure.

I did notice that the fan kicked on at about 290 and shut down at 335, so the KBQ never got any hotter than 335. It would be nice if the KBQ could run at FULL blast with the fan on all the time to get temps up a little higher and crispier skin, not sure why that isn't an option but I'm sure there's a reason.

So a solid B for the chicken wings. Not bad for a first attempt.

Edit for day 2 after I went out and picked up a Lodge Grill for the firebox. Finishing these wings on the firebox was great. I think the solution or me on wings will be to cook them to 160, then finish them on the firebox either that day for eating right then, or as a way of heating them up over the next few days. Nice to have little snacks around when you're running the KBQ for several hours! Click image for larger version

Name:	20170819_190408.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	365871Click image for larger version

Name:	20170819_190640.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	365872
          Last edited by Zac Jones; August 20, 2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Odd. The couple of times I've done chickens, the temps varied around 325/335. I wonder if the amount of wood in the firebox affects it? I also kept it in the lower part of the cabinet. Skin came out fine. But a whole bird is going to cook longer than wings, so that may be a better explanation.

Hey guys. I have not been on here in quite a while. Business kind of took off so... not as much cooking. However my last 2 cooks - both with baby backs - I have had a terrible time controlling the temp. I have a stand alone hanging thermometer that I have tested with my Mavricks and it is within 10 degrees. I'm not sure if the thermostat is not working or what. My KBQ usually runs about 25-30 degrees hotter than where I set it - so if I set to 188 my internal is normally around 220 - 230. That is normal. The problem I have had the last 2 cooks is the control unit not shutting off when the internal temp is way above where it is set. Because of the issues I have taken to opening the unit and looking at the hanging thermometer at least every hour. The last time I did it it was over 400 degrees - the ribs were actually sizzling. The temp was set at 188. And the blower (until I turned it way way down) was still blowing away. Same deal the other way. I will have to turn the temp down to between 144 and 100 to get it to turn off, but when I open it the internal temp is 250. Anybody had this issue or have any thoughts?

Comment

• Zac Jones
            Zac Jones commented
            Editing a comment
            Before you try fixing it you might want to do a batch of chicken or wings. Take advantage of the higher temp!

• KBQ
            KBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Sounds like a gunked-up temperature sensor, which insulates the stainless bulb and slows its response. Please ring me to discuss when you have a minute - a few minutes' cleaning may be all it takes.

Your thermostat may need a cleaning. It's on the bottom of the controller box, perhaps under one of the fans, but if memory serves it protrudes a bit. Just get the carbon/gunk off it. BTW, Thermoworks makes an "air" thermapen that you can drop in the hole at the front-left of the control box to do constant monitoring. It works great.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            My ThermoWorks Smoke comes with two probes, one for the meat, the other for the box. Between the air pen that came with the KBQ and it I can keep a good monitor on the temp.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here