Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit DuckinBBQ from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Go to this thread to post where you work and what your hobbies are and get to know other members here. We are happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation. Oh, and welcome to the KBQ club!

Don't forget to check in here.
    Last edited by ComfortablyNumb; April 17, 2018, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• DuckinBBQ
      DuckinBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      ComfortablyNumb .... Just checked in for the KBQ roll call. Thank you for the link.

I felt like I had to smell some KBQ smoke. Oh look! A rack of BB and mini pork belly in the freezer .

Click image for larger version

Name:	No sauce.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	487931Click image for larger version

Name:	belly!.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	487932

Comment

It's a Smokin Saturday

Now that Spring appears to be here in the Northeast, time to get some smoking going.

Ribs, a Costco Prime Brisket and a smallish pork shoulder.

Pork is at 170F and the Brisket just hitting 160F.

I have some chicken thighs and pork belly/bacon going on soon.

I like how I can run hickory and oak for the first 4 hours while the brisket and pork are cooking, then switch over to apple and cherry for the ribs and chicken. With the ~30-40 mins of wood eating time on the KBQ, switching is pretty quick!

BTW, thanks BBQ_Bill for the tip on a deeper water pan in the bottom of the KBQ. I had a 1 1/2" pan but recently switched to the 2 1/2" pan. Takes up one more slot on the bottom but it is going on 8 hours and the pan still has water in it!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180428_120657.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	490974

Comment

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        The brisket went on at 5:30AM and the pork shoulder around 5:50AM
        The ribs went on much later, around 11:30.
        I wrapped the brisket around 173F around 3:00PM. I really hope to be done around 5PM. Good news, the brisket is up to 194F :-)

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Good stuff JGrana. Thanks for the details!

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Yummm!

Spinaker Ernest BBQ_Bill ComfortablyNumb EdF and all others my kbq came in and is ready for some meat
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes! Welcome to the KBQ Family!

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely!

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        Enjoy the magic of the KBQ.

First tri tip in the KBQ came out great brought up to 115 then seated on top of the firebox with sportsmans lodge
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome! That looks great!

Also made some chicken and used kosmos killer bee rub and some mesquite wood wow that's some juicy sweet chicken
      Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Great first adventures. Keep on cooking!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great color!

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! Looks great!

EdF Spinaker Thank you did not get a smoke ring on the chicken do you think becuase I smoked it at a high temperature? Cranked that kbq all the way and was hitting temps from 335 to 350. Bottom poppet open only . Also how much lump do you light in your chimney to get the kbq going I use half full chimney in the Weber charcoal starter. How do you guys smoke your chicken in the kbq

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        On high temp shorter cooks, you can open the top poppet up a ways for more smoke flavor.
        Your fan blades and fan port should tell the story regarding how clean your smoke was.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I cook it with the heat almost all the way up. I make sure I start with enough lump to at least cover the slots on the side. Fill that baby up about 1/2 full of lump and let it rip. You can't start with too much. IMO.

Higher temp fast cook for chicken to get crispy skin is why you have little to no smoke ring but I’m sure still had good smoke flavor. Putting it in the freezer for about an hour before tossing in the cooker may help get a smoke ring on such a short cook. (I’ve never tried it for chicken though). 1/2 chimney of lump should be enough to get it going, just remember to keep a good coal bed. I like to hang a couple chickens from the top grate using my PBC hooks, as I saw Ernest do. I don’t know what difference it makes in smoke or flavor but to me it looks cool😎. Great looking cooks keep the pics coming.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        All of that would have been my comments, except I haven't hung anything in there yet.

hogdog6 Yup that's exactly why I cranked the kbq to max to get that crispy skin and I did

Comment

king kielbasa on high temp shorter cooks, you can open the top poppet up a ways for more smoke flavor.
        I've read where one fellow said the dirtiest setting on the KBQ is cleaner than the lightest smoke setting on his other smoker.
        (His other is a popular and somewhat expensive name brand)
        -
        Also, your fan blades and fan port should "tell the story" regarding how clean your smoke was and how much creosote your meat got.
        -
        So... clean smoke, short duration, good coal bed = a very light smoke profile.
        The color on your bird DOES look excellent my friend.
        -
        Here is a 10 hour low and slow coating on two beef full packer briskets.
        Note the color on the machine and the resulting color on the meat.
        The darker color in the center of the blades is from the cook/smoke just prior, which was a "dirtier" stronger smoke profile.
        With these last two briskets, I used 1/8" open top poppet with bottom full open.
        Smoked with Mesquite only.
        Kept water in both trays for the duration, and spritzed with a fine mist very often.
        -
        Light smoke flavor because my coal tray was "Hawked" and the holes always kept covered.
        NO creosote, no heartburn, no belching up smoke flavor hours later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180428_121707.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.72 MB ID:	492775Click image for larger version  Name:	20180428_122354.jpg Views:	1 Size:	368.2 KB ID:	492776

Click image for larger version  Name:	Cropped Shot 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.22 MB ID:	492777Click image for larger version  Name:	Cropped Shot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.21 MB ID:	492778

The bark was not super thick and had a light smokey flavor for these two prime briskets.
        The fat rendered VERY nicely and what was left was delicious.
        EXTREME Procedure:
        1) Wet aged in the cryovac packs for 90 days after slaughter.
        2) Opened trimmed and dry brined in vacuum bags for 6 days at 28/29°F.
        3) Pulled opened and seared with a propane flame thrower.
        4) Spritzed (to make the rub stick) then rubbed with freshly cracked Black Pepper and Hatch Mild Red powder.
        5) Placed into the freezer for two hours.
        6) Smoked with Mesquite at 145°F average for two hours in a clean smoke setting.
        7) Raised the temperature and Smoked with Mesquite at 225°F for another 8 hours.
        (Ya GOTTA LUV a smoker that can do THAT on the fly!)
        8) Pulled from the KBQ and spritzed, double wrapped TIGHTLY in butcher paper, and into the moist electric heated oven until almost done.
        9) Pulled when almost done for the slow rest at 110°F, in which the I.T. finally wound down to the "magic" temperature (I dearly LUV) of 146°F.
        10) I then held one packer for 10 hours at 146°F and the other for 20+ hours at 146°F with both in high humidity.
        -
        (SECRET... Shhhhh...)
        The available moisture distributed very nicely throughout the flat in this long hold.
        And, added beef bone broth will be absorbed by the meat.
        So my fellow BBQ friends.... both flats were quite moist according to the eaters.
        -
        Yup! Pulling from the heat when ALMOST done nailed it again.
        Cut and pull tests were "spot on" with 1/4" slices for flat and 3/8" slices for point.
        It is noteworthy to mention that even after 20+ hours of holding, the last brisket did not overcook from the 146°F and being in high humidity.
        The fat did continue to render in that long hold as there was much yellow/orange oil in the wrappings when pulled, sliced and devoured.

Bottom Line:
        I had some VERY happy and VERY full eaters!
        -
        Smoke On!
        Last edited by BBQ_Bill; May 1, 2018, 11:11 PM. Reason: I decided to share more "Secrets" ;)

Comment

For those who are a bit leery of using oven cleaner on your unit (that sounded funny 😂) I found this on amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Disassembled mine and did a full cleaning for the first time after five cooks. Grease melts right off just seconds after spraying it on. Looks almost new. Highly recommended.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Just got two bottles at Home Depot.
            Thanks guys!

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            anyone else have excellent results with this?

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Nah, i have always used HD Commercial oven cleaner. smokinfatties

Finally getting to put the KBQ to use after a miserable long winter in MN. Had to postpone last weekend after a red flag warning for the county I live in. ​That's alright though. Picked up a Bernzomatic TS8000 and my Fireboard literally just arrived.

Loved using the TS8000 to get my lump going. Thanks to all those who recommended it on here. Excited to check out the Fireboard and integrate it with Alexa.

Oh yeah, I'm four hours into three racks of pork ribs rubbed with Oakridge BBQ Dominator Sweet Rib Rub. Had to freeze them after last weekend's dry weather. Using cherry wood today.

My wife loves that I'm doing yard work the entire time while feeding the fire, so it's win win. I didn't mention to her that it's that amazing KBQ smell that keeps me outside the entire day.

Comment

• SteinerBBQ
            SteinerBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            St Louis cut good sir. Probably 30 minutes over, but still tasty.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to hear it!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I love that TS8000!

The result
          Attached Files

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Agreed! The KBQ pork ribs I've seen here have incredible color! Yum!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Something about that KBQ, Bill!! BBQ_Bill

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            That color is why I could not resist my MCS... Impossible!
            Then you get your cooker, and find out the smell is just as incredible.

Drop the mic!
          Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Lookee that!

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Boom!

Maybe if I just keep reading this thread over and over I won't actually pull the trigger on this thing.

*goes back to page 1*

Comment

• badf00d
            badf00d commented
            Editing a comment
            I love my KBQ. If you're not opposed to feeding firewood, you will love it. Ask any in the KBQ club.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here