Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EdF - How's the back feeling? Hope it's feeling better. You going to fire that thing up this weekend?

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Back's healing up. We'll see. At this point, shooting for getting it assembled and/or getting wood. If those get done, firing it up will become irresistible.

Originally posted by OmegaDog12 View Post
    Spinaker,@jgrana,@slvance and others on the KBQ forum
    I'm going to do smoked chicken wings just for me. Need advice on temperature setting. Going to do the S&G rub (it was incredible on smoked chicken thighs) and cherry wood. Also your thoughts on baking powder vs searing to crisp the skin? Do I put the baking powder on first, then the rub or mix the baking powder in the rub? What are the proportions that you use? As always, thanks for the advice

The OmegaDog
    Very good idea!!! Your going to love this. I always turn my KBQ all the way up or slightly below all the way up. And your right on track with the wood choice. Cherry is an excellent option. Mix in some oak too if you have it.

As for the baking powder and salt, go 50/50 on those. I let mine sit over night on an elevated tray. Then the next day I cover in the S&G paste, I use a high temp oil on the wings. Avocado is an excellent option but Grape seed oil is also very good too. I like to us those wire baking trays to put the wings on, over night. Then when its time to cook, you can simply slide the wire rack into the KBQ and away you go. Just be sure to spray the wire rack with PAM before putting the wings back on the rack after applying the S&G rub. Don't worry about searing them. When you cook with the KBQ all the way up and you use this method, you wont need to sear them. The induction fan takes care of that. They will be crispy as all get out. Cook for about a 20 mins, maybe.....then you will be amazed at how they are.
    Here is a few before and after pics. Enjoy!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28010.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	16.2 KB
ID:	268468Click image for larger version

Name:	image_27149.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	15.7 KB
ID:	268469
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Spinaker; January 28, 2017, 01:11 PM.

Comment

OmegaDog12 Well.........How did they turn out?

Comment

QUESTIONS??

I learned a lot reading your comments that I ordered a KBQ today, have a few questions if you could help me :

1)Bottom Tray for helping clean up what works, someone said a Bottom of a dog crate and one I found is 36X24, will that work?
        2)After 2 years I am guessing that the only part that would go out is the Brain, does anyone know what they cost?
        3)Since this acts like a convection oven you still turn the meat over lying flat? probably so so just want to make sure
        4)One probe is inserted in the corner hole, and on the website another hole is near the controller does that hole go all the way thru to measure the box temp?

Thanks these are the 1st of my many questions...

Comment

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker is a great guide; as far as #1, KBQ takes standard size steam pans (~13x21"). I use one from Amazon. Search for Winco SPF1 pan. It's nice and low profile.
          I do run a Thermoworks probe through the top right corner of the door to monitor temps. More than enough space.

Originally posted by Chargers View Post
        QUESTIONS??

Thanks these are the 1st of my many questions...
        First of all, Welcome to the family!!!

1) I don't know about the Dog tray, but i just use standard service pans. both Stainless and foil will work. They can be found at any grocery store or restaurant supply store. Not to mention Amazon.
        2) I am not sure what the "brain" costs to replace, but I've had none a a year and a half with no issues. You would have to talk to Bill directly for that information. I don't know of anyone that has had to replace theirs.
        3) I never turn the meat over in my KBQ. Maybe when it loaded down, I will rotate the meats around but I don't actually flip them in the cooker. Jus their rack position in the cooker.
        4) No, the hole by the exhaust fan only goes down a little bit. This is to measure your exhaust temp. This gives you an okay reading of what the temps are in the KBQ. I don't bother with the probe in the cooker any more. I will, on occasion, place a small dial thermo through the corner just to see where I am at temp wise. Pictures below.
        5) You can feed a temp probe into the cook chamber to check the temp of the cook box and the meat temp, but once you learn the KBQ (3 or 4 cooks) you wont really need them any more. I don't use any. Just spot check with the Thermapen and I am good to go.
        Again, Congrats on your purchase. You're going to love it!! And we are a pretty tight knit community and everyone loves helping a fellow KBQ brother/sister out. So ask away, with the KBQ, there are no dumb questions.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image_27190.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	9.7 KB ID:	269295Click image for larger version  Name:	image_27188.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	8.7 KB ID:	269296
        Last edited by Spinaker; January 30, 2017, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks that helps me a lot especially not having a dumb question.. I can say that reading each one of your experiences convinced me this was the smoker for me. BTW I am just learning the many rules, and see that their is a column where you can sell equipment. I have one unusual one and don't know if their is even a market here, but had a commercial wood fired pizza oven made and now I am selling it. Is that something that I might list here or too big don't bother???

Comment

It's worth a try so why not?

Comment

I had it built on a trailer.. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0215.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	361.3 KB
ID:	269308

Comment

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                How much does that weigh?

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                I would buy it except I could see my dogs racing to be the first ones into the fire! Exceptional build.

• Chargers
                Chargers commented
                Editing a comment
                Carolts,

See below

I make pizza and then put a pork butt in and the next morning have the best pulled pork burritos!! Yummo!

Comment

Wow that things is awesome. Yes, there is a 'For Sale' section under the Forums tab. You never know, someone here might buy it.

Comment

Chargers Welcome and congrats on the KBQ! Here's a link to our For Sale or Trade forum and see the sticky topic for the forum rules. We'd love to get an intro from you over in the Introduce Yourself channel when you get a minute. Thanks!

Comment

I always get so excited when I see this thread come up in the Today's Posts listing...

Comment

• tbob4
                      tbob4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Me, too. While I don't have one the photos of food from this thread are awesome. I'm waiting for EdF 's back to get better to complete assembly and to see what he posts. His excitement is contagious.

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Well, for right now, I've hit "the stall" due to workaday stuff and not getting it together over the weekend. But the back is better, and I'm really looking forward to some ribs for the big game. Will be going up to the wood guy one of the next few afternoons.

tbob4 What are you waiting for brother? You need one. And YOU KNOW you want one.

Comment

• tbob4
                      tbob4 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You know I do - bad. However, read my response to a new member and you will understand why it takes some work: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-year-sherman

• EdF
                      EdF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was wondering when I read that story, why you didn't catch the direction she looked when she caught you. You'd have been able to find that part really quick.

WHAT IS THE WEIGHT?
                    Funny that you would ask that, I had it weighed and its right at 5,000lb, maybe a little less the problem was that the original axles are way above that weight, so why is it that the wheels were bending out??? Found out that going forward the trailer weight is just fine, but when you back up it stresses out the Wheels and axles so if you never go in reverse it would have been just fine, So I had new springs, tires, rims and axles replaced so now they are up to I think 14,000lbs so while I was doing that I had the elevation lifted so now you have an almost straight sight of the opening rather than bending over, and going home with a back ache.

Comment

Chargers Welcome to the pit !!

I use the large foil trays you can get at costco. They come in a stack of about 15 or so. You just tweak em a tiny bit and they slide right into the bottom and catch all the drippings, then you can use the drippings for gravy or putting back into the meat.

I have never flipped meat over, it all gets cooked pretty evenly with the exception of chickens. I do hang the whole chickens like some others do using stainless hooks which allows the back of the chicken to cook evenly as I found that the back was getting slightly less done and the skin not crispy.

I just use an ET-732 probe stuck in the top near the fan to monitor my temp. The only reason I do that is so I can carry the remote and go do other things, and when I see the temp struggling to stay at my setpoint I go add some wood to the fire.

Comment

• Dale Case
                        Dale Case commented
                        Editing a comment
                        EdF Yeah I take a rack and put it in about the second or third slot from the top (top slot won't let me close the door). I just remove all the other racks so the juices don't drip on em and go straight into my pan (I use the drippings for gravy).

• Dale Case
                        Dale Case commented
                        Editing a comment
                        EdF Check out Amazon for the stainless meat hooks. Very good quality and price !! I run the hook right through the neck hole and out the side below wing on each side then hook on rack above.

• EdF
                        EdF commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Sounds good. Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here