Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_37792.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	314030 First smoke on this work of art. I finally got the time to unpack my KBQ, what a machine!

Having an over abundance of rabbit this was my first smoke on the KBQ. We took 4 twelve week old rabbits and gave them a dry rub of 50/50 kosher salt and raw sugar then vacuum packed them for 24 hours in the refrigerator. Took them out and put them in the KBQ with apple wood at about 200 degrees for 3 hours, set for over smoke. Internal temperature was 150-155 when I pulled them. Had a nice firm exterior and moist interior. The legs and thighs were perfect but the loin was a little mushy but still good. The temperature was taken in the plenum of the control box.

The plan is to bone out the other 3 rabbits and use them in pasta and paella in the coming weeks.

I'm really looking forward to smoking up some of the meat we have in the freezer but the rabbit is a low risk way to start this adventure.

Do any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks - Toby Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1816.JPG Views:	1 Size:	217.4 KB ID:	314031Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1824.JPG Views:	1 Size:	242.5 KB ID:	314032Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1828.JPG Views:	1 Size:	245.3 KB ID:	314033
    Last edited by Hotot Hell; May 2, 2017, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with Ernest, rabbit is very mild. Hare on the other hand? Now we're talking gamey. Hare needs hanging for a few days, or soaking in milk to get some 'rawness' out of it.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      It's been a loooooong time since I ate rabbit I remember wild rabbit is gamey, domestic not so much. Never had it smoked, instead fried like chicken, and yes domestic did taste like chicken. Looks like it turned out good.

• Dale Case
      Dale Case commented
      Editing a comment
      I think if you try hang them next time you might get a lil better results and not have as much of the mushiness in the loin. Maybe try let them go a lil longer too. I took the cue from Ernest and started hanging my birds and it helped a lot !!

I was going to fire the KBQ up today for some roast chicken, and had a question. Earlier in this thread are some beautiful whole chickens hung with hooks. Is that a method preferable to spatchcocking? What's the reasoning behind it vs doing a spatchcocked chicken? Thanks!

Comment

cookingmadly I prefer splitting in half and hanging like the pit barrel cooker in the KBQ. Obviously you will get a more even cook by not leaving whole. Clean up is much easier cuz only a hook. My kbq is 30° warmer in the bottom. I prefer the dark meat lower for that reason. I would only leave it whole for presentation

Comment

cookingmadly might just be in my head but hang bird cooks evenly for me. I was coming from a PBC so I just found it amusing to hang the chicken. I don't spatchcock my birds though. I see no difference there as well

Comment

• cookingmadly
          cookingmadly commented
          Editing a comment
          It would be interesting to try them side by side, either whole and spatchcocked or whole vs. halved like @SacredSmokeBBQ suggests. I guess the only answer is to smoke a lot of chicken and see the differences it makes!

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          I did that in the PBC. The difference was negligeable to me.
          I get a juicer breast when left whole. That alone is enough for me to keep it whole.
          You should cook whole and cut at the same time. See which one you prefer.

Originally posted by Sacred Smoke BBQ View Post
        cookingmadly I prefer splitting in half and hanging like the pit barrel cooker in the KBQ. Obviously you will get a more even cook by not leaving whole. Clean up is much easier cuz only a hook. My kbq is 30° warmer in the bottom. I prefer the dark meat lower for that reason. I would only leave it whole for presentation
        Interesting on the temperature difference. I knew there was some, didn't realize it was that much, but it makes sense. I'll split in half and hang. Thanks!

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
          Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I should have noted that I see 30° difference when there is food in the kbq. When empty the temp difference is only about 5°

The first chicken I cooked in my KBQ I hung. I was sitting outside reading near my KBQ and heard a "bang". I just thought that perhaps one of the logs in the fire box had fallen down into the coal bed and just kept on reading.

A while later when I was adding more wood I thought I would go ahead and check the temp of the bird to see where it was in the timeline and when I opened the door I saw my bird sitting on the bottom of the cook chamber. Oooops!

Apparently I didn't put the hook far enough into the cavity to hook under some of the bigger/stronger ribs. No worries - just hooked it again to be under the bigger ribs and finished up.

The next time I used one of my wireframe chicken stands to support the chicken. It came out fine. The only difference I noted was that the skin in the "crotch" where the leg is pushed up against the breast was not quite crispy.

I've not yet spatchcocked a chicken in the KBQ. I rarely spatchcock anyway - if I am going to grill a chicken and don't want to keep it whole I go ahead and cut them in half as they are easier to arrange/maneuver around the grill.

I'm not the sort of person that always wants a smokey flavor on my meat and my favorite way to cook a whole chicken is still using my propane fired Char Broil Big Easy infrared fryer. Quick and easy and hands off which sometimes appeals to my inner laziness.

My next favorite chicken is using my rotisserie. I've thought about rigging up my KBQ so I can spin a chicken in it but since there is no direct infrared heat radiation or coals for fat to drip onto I doubt there would be any advantage to spinning a chicken inside a KBQ.

Comment

Smoked 6 racked of ribs and a pork loin today. All turned out great!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dale Case
            Dale Case commented
            Editing a comment
            I see you have the grill grate ready for the sear action !!

Those look Fantastic! I love how food looks when it comes out of the KBQ.

Comment

Doing some birds today. And pork belly.......of course

Name:	Chikins.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	316115

Name:	cameringo_20170507_154843.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	316116

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Hang them birds!

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              I've never done pork belly. It will now be on the next trip to the butcher list. Looks fantastic!

Help, how do I remove the fans...

Ok, I am not the most mechanically gifted person. After a number of cooks, I would like to do a deep clean on the fans and control box.
            Spinaker , you have mentioned taking the fans off. I tried today with a pair of lock grips holding the nut. Man, I could not get them to move...
            So, what kind of socket should I purchase and what direction do those nuts unloosen???
            Do you hold the fan blade and try to back off the nut?

The last thing I want to do is break the control box assembly!!!

ps: I am going to Fremont CA this week. I am going to grab (hopefully) a Costco Prime Full Packer when I am there. I am going to pack an insulated bag and put some frozen cooler inserts for the plane ride back to Rochester NY. Wish me luck!

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              JGrana the nut unfastens counterclockwise. Thou were probably fastening it tighter. Do the opposite

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I hold the fan blade, but as Ernest mentioned, they are reverse thread nuts. It they are too gunned up. Spray them with oven cleaner and let them sit.

• JGrana
              JGrana commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks gents, I will give it a go next weekend.

Time to eat!

Name:	OMAD 2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	316161

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Sauce it is. Thanks!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              That sauce looks insane!

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Spinaker secret is homemade beef bone broth. The gelatin from the marrow......SHHHH!

Prime grade Beef Shorties. 7.99/lb. 5 hours on the KBQ. Insane!
            Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Those look killer!!!!!!

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Man!!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Get in that plane and fly those up here, personally! smokinfatties

Rack of beef short ribs is king of BBQ!
            Taste √
            Taste √
            Time √
            Taste √

Comment

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              But your are the KBQ King!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice new Avatar! So nice and shiny!

I have to find a source for Prime Beef Short Ribs here in Kansas City. Been to a few different Costcos but no luck.

Comment

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm with ya, so far I haven't found here in N. Utah. The Hunt will continue.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Me three. I haven't found them either at my Costco. i have to pay mucho $ for beef ribs here in MN. But I have Prime Full Packers, so I am not really in the position to complain. hogdog6 @BlackBeltBarbeque

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              I go to my Costco and my head is spinning from choices........ HAHAHA, oops! I just rubbed it in

Flanken cut beef short ribs. First time using all 6 grates. Sorry no finished product. These animals destroyed it before I had a chance to take a pic
            Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here