Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a great KBQ cook today. Thanks Ernest for the short rib advise. Not only do they look good, they tasted fantastic. Also 3 racks of SLR for Mother's Day at my daughters tomorrow. KBQ ROCKS! Histrix love the recommended table getting it off the ground, my knees were much happier.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by hogdog6; May 14, 2017, 09:46 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I love your KBQ pics. Always so scenic.

My KBQ is expected to arrive next week and I am trying to source firewood from a local supplier here in Iowa. Do you prefer to order a mixed truckload or a species specific wood for the KBQ. Trying to decide on a mixed load (about a half cord) for a $100 or a species specific load for $250. Just wondering how mixed woods like alder, maple, ash would do in the KBQ. Thanks.

Comment

I started with white oak to get a mental baseline. Next will be some supplemental hickory, then some fruitwoods.

There's a comparison of suitability of different species on kbq.us in the U of Q section that's worth taking a look at.

Comment

Robert R With a "Mixed load" you might be getting pine or some other, less desirable smoking woods. I would shoot for a specific load. Even then makes sure you getting what you pay for.
        Some suppliers fib on moisture content or the type of wood they are selling you. I am not saying this is the deal with all suppliers, but like any industry, there are those that will take advantage of people in your position. (Just starting out)
        Around the time I first got my KBQ, I had a guy that tried to sell me a load of "Seasoned Oak" He said it had been cured for two years, outdoors. When I picked up one of the logs I knew something was up. They were heavy as all get out. Well I pulled out my moisture tester and the logs were reading all reading around 30% moisture. Which meant it was cut that season. He also had mixed in maple, ash and a few other woods. Maple and ash are fine too but you better not try to tell me that it is Oak! I told him to beat it. You should be able to find a good source for oak and cherry wood in Iowa City. I know both are abundant in the area. At least they were in my U of I college days.

Now I fell, cut and split my own wood so I know where it is coming from, and how long it has been seasoned.

Also, check out Fruta Wood. I just bought some peach wood from them last night. Per lonnie mac 's recommendation. I know they have great stuff and they can be trusted.
        Last edited by Spinaker; May 14, 2017, 11:21 AM.

Comment

• Craigar
          Craigar commented
          Editing a comment
          Dude you're going to love the peach. If my wife would let me, I would burn it in the house for air freshener.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL!! Craigar

I started at 5 am today. Wanted to be done by noon.... My 26 is cooking sides.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cameringo_20170514_091204.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	319089

Comment

About to get medieval....

Name:	cameringo_20170514_124008.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	254.1 KB
ID:	319112

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            It's about to get PRIME-EVAL!!!!!

git in my bellllllyyyyy!

Name:	image_38390.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	319182

Comment

• kmhfive
            kmhfive commented
            Editing a comment
            And how!!😋

Well I did my first contest. A kcbs event on top of that. The West Coast BBQ Classic at the Queen Mary. There was some good and bad. Didn't make my best food by a long shot and still came close to my goal. 40 teams and my goal was 30th. I finished 33rd. I was overwhelmed because we were required to sell to the public and it was too much for me. We served over 500 people. 50 racks of ribs, pulled pork sliders, and pulled pork nachos (all made on pbc's). I had a good group helping me but at times I was unable to give my food it's required attention. Ribs were solid at 24th and a big team that finished next to me said they made great ribs. My 3 other meats were all a little overcooked. But I feel really good about future contests with what I learned from this experience. I believe that my everyday bbq would have put me in the middle of the pack. This kbq rocks!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
            Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            kmhfive thank you

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            nice job dude! I had a wedding so didn't cook that one, but usually help out Mike at Cool Grilling. I am sure I will run into you at comps!

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
            Editing a comment
            smokinfatties Nice. I look forward to it

Name:	IMG_0318.JPG
Views:	294
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	319657
          Thought I'd share my 3 year old grandsons take on KBQ ribs.

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
            Editing a comment
            Lol that's great. I don't think I've ever had sauce on my shoulder before. Bbq shrapnel

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Watching Kids eating ribs is one of life's un-sung pleasures.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            It was really fun to watch him. When he was done he had sauce in his hair, all over his shirt and pants. I felt like I needed to take him outside and spray him down with the hose. He normally doesn't eat much if anything at all and he had three ribs.
            It's all about the KBQ baby.

FEDEX says that my KBQ will be here tomorrow I'm so exited, ribs is the plan man ribs....

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I couldn't wait. I had them drop ship that beast to my local FEDEX so I could pick it up!!

• kaptkobe
            kaptkobe commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I feel like a kid at christmas

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Merry KBQmas!!! 🎅 🎅

Name:	IMG_0823.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	319864
          I expect that this little guy will see less use
          Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha crazy minds think alike, brother! Ernest

• kaptkobe
            kaptkobe commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm gonna have to get some "mini logs" from academy I wasn't expecting it to arrive so soon and my wood order doesn't arrive until Wednesday, have half a rik of hickory and half a rik of cherry coming.

• kaptkobe
            kaptkobe commented
            Editing a comment
            Well scratch the mini logs my wood showed up today too.

kaptkobe You are going to have some great smokes ahead of you. Cherry is amazing in the KBQ. It might be my favorite, Oak is the only contender. I don't have any hickory up here in Minnesota, so I haven't had the chance to burn that quite yet. I will be curious to hear what you think.

Comment

Oh man! I love cherry. Unfortunately it costs double the price of oak, mesquite and hickory.
          cherry chicken is beautiful

Comment

• kaptkobe
            kaptkobe commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest The guy I'm dealing with it's the same price, he also has persimmon I'm gonna try that next shipment.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Man! Stock up, it's beautiful wood

So kbq arrived, no pics due to phone battery being dead (I'll post some tomorrow), it arrived too late to cook the ribs I had rubbed up earlier so I asked the wife to pick up a chicken on the way home, she brought home a rotisserie chicken from sams! Not to be undone I threw the skirt from the back of the spares on while I got the first fire going. Cooked them at 225 for about 45 min using both popets, oh my god if that's any indication of what ribs taste like tomorrow night we're gonna be in heaven.

A few words on the KBQ, I have never bought a product that was this well thought out, everything is where it should be. There is no I wish this was like this or that.

BTW my control box dial doesn't have temps on it it just goes to ten (wish it was eleven).

Comment

Looking forward to pics. 👍

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here