Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love those dearly. Did you finish with a sear on the firebox? Sacred Smoke BBQ

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest Took them all the way like brisket. Wanted to sear but I was afraid of over doing it. I should have at least tried a few but I was in such a rush I couldn't think straight

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Editing a comment
      Next time I need to go heavier on the dry rub and finish with a sear. First time smoking these. Always grilled before. Much better smoked imho

Sacred Smoke BBQ You took them to 200? I take em to 140 then slap em on the firebox.
    Salt and Pepper

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Editing a comment
      190 range. When they hit 150ish I put them in an aluminum tray, foiled, and let them braise in their fat. First time trying it. I liked how juicy they were but lacked some flavor

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Editing a comment
      Next time I'll go heavier on dry rub, take some to 140 and sear.....and then also try what I did but with more dry rub and a sear

Hi Guys! My mouth is watering just looking at all the pictures! I am considering joining the KBQ community and upgrading my Weber Smokey Mountain. I have read a lot of the reviews and all seem very positive. My questions is about durability. The smoke box and fans seem like the heart of the unit. Have any of you had any issues with the moving parts? If I make a purchase of this magnitude I want to make sure it lasts a lifetime. Seems like customer service is great. Thanks.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      2 years in no issues.

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      Bill mentioned somewhere that the moving parts have been the same design since WW II, and will run for a very, very long time. Edit: And if I had read the post from Histrix, I would have remembered where.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm only 3 cooks in (4 tomorrow) but I must agree this thing is a tank and fun to cook on. IMHO, I cannot imagine you would have any regrets. Come join the growing group of KBQ'rs more is always better especially BBQ. 😜

KBQ is rocking! (So is the Creedence 😎) Brisket, Ribs and Chicken today. 75 F and Sunny. Can't beat it!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2269.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	318160Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2268.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	318159

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, looking happy!

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a beautiful thing. "Smoke em if you got em"

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      In the words of John Lithgow: "I love Creedence..." Well, and my KBQ.

Robert R Keep in mind the info shown in the slideshow on the KBQ website:

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.47.02 PM.png
Views:	335
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	318206Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 12.46.42 PM.png
Views:	338
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	318207

Given Bill's (Karubecue inventor) background I have no doubt that he has carefully chosen components known and made for durability.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      And be sure to use it as ammunition with your wife, pending her eventual approval.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Robert R EdF In my experience no approval needed, just beg forgiveness while she's eating the best ribs she's ever had.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      That's right, hogdog6!

Brisket is done. Ribs are progressing nicely. I am running at about an average of 210 F. I never run this low, but I thought, why not.

Name:	IMG_2271.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	318365Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2274.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	264.3 KB
ID:	318366

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      those look killer Spin!

• Smocalypse
      Smocalypse commented
      Editing a comment
      What was the weight for that brisket, how long to cook? I preping to do one Friday and need to plan for a 7:30 dinner time (hope for 2-3 hour rest in cambro)

There's about to be some good eating

Comment

Lookin' mighty Tasty, Brother!!!
      Did I miss th' chicken?
      Keep th' Smoke Rollin', delighted ya had such a Honey of a Friday, up yonder!
      75°? May? MN?
      "Inconceivable!!!!" LOL!!!

Sehr, sehr Kühl!!!!
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 12, 2017, 06:50 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Natch! Anytime I use that word, unless otherwise stated, brother! @EdF

>Inigo Montoya:" That Vizzini, he can *fuss*."

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Halloo, my name is Inigo Montoya ...

• kmhfive
        kmhfive commented
        Editing a comment
        Fezzik: Fuss, fuss… I think he like to scream at us.

Spinaker, Ernest, EdF, and all. I found some short ribs, in the fridge brining now for a cook on the KBQ tomorrow . I'm not sure what temp to to cook these puppies to for best results? They will be taking the ride with some St. Louis ribs. Thanks in advance for advise.

Name:	IMG_0307.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	318482

Comment

hogdog6 I smoke everything at 225. Beef ribs, I go by probe test rather than internal temp. You'll love those.
        Are those English cut or whole rack?

Comment

Thanks! I was wan planning 225 cooking temp but wasn't sure about finished temp. Do you know at what temp should I start checking for probe tender. I know with brisket and chuckies it's at 190* that I really start paying attention. They are whole.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I start checking at 180 when cooking prime grade. Choice will start at 190.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You will love those ribs. They will be crazy good.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest has got you covered!

I just read all the reviews and I watched a short video Someone posted earlier. wow, that is a really nice piece of BBQ equipment. Can't wait to see you put it in action
          Last edited by Jimmie Rhoden; May 13, 2017, 03:56 AM. Reason: Auto correct misspelled a couple words

Comment

Took the plunge and ordered the KBQ! He said he will ship it out on Monday! Wasn't expecting it that fast! Everyone in this thread is a bad influence🙂 Now just need to find a wood supplier. Any recommendations for online suppliers if I can't find one locally?

Comment

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              Try to find a forestry service in your area. Much cheaper than online

• badf00d
              badf00d commented
              Editing a comment
              Where do you live? I'd be surprised if you can't find someone near you that sells firewood. I found a couple of them on Craigslist and had cherry, oak, hickory and sugar maple delivered the next day. And I use this a lot: https://www.worx.com/jawsaw-chainsaw-wg307.html

• carolts
              carolts commented
              Editing a comment
              fruitwood.com has been my go-to when I can't get it together to process the local wood. They have a nice selection of different woods and very fast shipping. Choose the 6" mini splits.

Glad to hear MCS won you over, you will not be disappointed. I source mine from local orchards, "have chain saw and will travel". Looking forward to seeing your 1st cook. 😋

Comment

Cleaned Up the Fans!

Cool, overcast day... time to do spring cleaning on the KBQ fan box. Took the advice of Ernest and Spinaker
              Removed the fan blades (reverse thread). I put some plumbers putty around the motor shafts (Bill talks about the issues with getting cleaner/water into the bearings). Some oven cleaner and scubbing pads!
              All ready for summer smokin season!

Before
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20170513_145143 (Large).jpg Views:	1 Size:	500.3 KB ID:	318734

After
              Click image for larger version  Name:	20170513_153915 (Large).jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.00 MB ID:	318735

Comment

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks squeaky clean.

• smokinfatties
                smokinfatties commented
                Editing a comment
                i desperately need to do this!

• alecksjaycubs
                alecksjaycubs commented
                Editing a comment
                Can someone point me to the info about putty on the motor shafts?

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here