Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the great suggestions.

I picked up the KBQ at FedEx tonight, two seriously heavy boxes. Tomorrow I'm off to pick up an assortment of wood and a couple of toys that have been suggested here. I think I'll throw a couple of bunnies on come Sunday. For pork I have to wait until hunks of Pigasso or Pigasus thaw out, they have been in the freezer for about 5 weeks now. I know I'm not suppose to name my food but I do, I also play with them.

We don't have those exotic woods like hickory and mesquite in this area. Apple and cherry are really common over on the dry side of the state so I'll go over and pick up a load of that. Alder is a weed here and is traditional for salmon. I have a couple of alders that my goats girdled last year so maybe alder with goat? So many choices

Comment

• Dale Case
      Dale Case commented
      Editing a comment
      Apple and Cherry are great smoking woods Goat over Alder sounds wonderful !!

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Roast goat is Awesome; smoked goat can only be more so!!!!

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      Smoked goat is sooo good.

Made these giant smithfield spares tonight. I call it Frankenpork. Would have taken a pic of the biggest one but someone scooped it up too fast. In fact the one you see was barely a top 5 in size from this rack. Oh yeah....they were awesome! What brand pork ribs do you guys and gals like most?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker that's the word I was looking for, swift!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great stuff, consistent and MEATY!! Ernest Sacred Smoke BBQ

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest Spinaker Thanks. I use swift from Costco 99% of the time. Trying new things. Happy with these but I can see myself returning to Swift

Those ribs look great, Sacred Smoke BBQ . Congrats on a beautiful cook!

With Smithfield meats, I always have to check the salt content, since many of them are brined in the package. The first ribs I smoked on my new PBC back in the day were Smithfield and I didn't notice their high salt content in the nutritional information. The big label on the package said "All Natural". Well, salt is natural. The ribs were almost too salty to eat by the time I had dry brined and put the (salt free) rub on them. Lesson learned.

I like meats from Sam's Club, some of which (like pork loins this past week) are Smithfield. Smithfield has a huge presence where I live.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; April 9, 2017, 01:45 AM.

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Editing a comment
      I was looking for added salt or enhanced on the package. Nothing. I salted them a bit heavy because I wanted to try wrapping. Came out perfect. Thanks for your response

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc And I think we're in the same boat on salt taste. I enjoy pbc all purpose. Beef n game much too salty for me

Picked up a double pack of pork shoulder at Costco today. Sunday is going to be perfect smoker weather. Crystal ball says pulled pork for dinner.

I haven't done pulled pork in a long time. Going to run this pair all the way through on the KBQ instead of part sous vide and part smoker.

Any suggestions, or thoughts on the time it will likely take? 19lbs between the two of them, bone-in.

Comment

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks guys!

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      I did the Costco run yesterday as well. Double boneless pork shoulder and a brisket flat. Biggest load for the KBQ yet. Using mostly post oak from Fruita.

• badf00d
      badf00d commented
      Editing a comment
      4 hours into the cook. Using mostly cherry with some sugar maple. Hopefully the wind doesn't screw things up. Weather advisory this afternoon calls for 20-25 mph winds.

Spring cleaning

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_144629.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	302000Click image for larger version

Name:	20170408_141646.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	302001

Comment

Smoked 60 lbs of brisket today. 2 for my Mother-in-law's party. 2 for my co-worker's birthday party.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Great lookin' briskies!!!

• carolts
        carolts commented
        Editing a comment
        Damn! Hope mine turns out half as good.

You KBQers are killing me!! Fantastic Ericm

Comment

WOW!!! How did it go? I have never packed that much in my KBQ. Ericm

Comment

It went very well. Despite some temp mistakes on my part, I'm happy with the results. It's hard to screw up a cook with the KBQ!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow that is great to hear!

My gosh, those briskets look great, Ericm . Beaut of a smoke ring.

Kathryn

Comment

I am in spring cleaning mode right now, sweeping out the barn, replacing the blades on the tractor, etc... and I noticed some light rust forming on the cookbox, particularly on the coal tray. What should I do about this? Should I be more vigorous in cleaning it after cooks? My procedure thus far has been to dump out ash, and give it a light scrubbing not using any water or cleaner of any kind.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I've just been dumping, so I don't have any decent advice for you.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Don't worry about it. If you wipe it with water and an SOS pad it will, eventually, come off. But don't worry about it. The cook box can be wiped down after cooling, but I never do it.

JGrana just sent you a PM for more info on the chicken/ribs cook.

Comment

Name:	IMG_0240.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	305469Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	305468Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0244.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	305466Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0251.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	258.0 KB
ID:	305467 Well finally after KBQ Barkolicious pit arrived over a week ago, dealing with a bad case of the flu and cold windy wet weather the 1st cook is happening. This pit is amazing and even funner than I expected, I must admit I did have some concern about having to tend the fire however it is a joy to do. Ribs are done and Chuck Roast still cooking.
              Attached Files

Comment

• JGrana
                JGrana commented
                Editing a comment
                Congratulations, both the food and the background look incredible!

• tbob4
                tbob4 commented
                Editing a comment
                What mountain range is that?

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                It's part of the Wasatch Range in Nothern Utah.

It's kind of "iconic", isn't it? Welcome aboard Boss!

Nice backdrop you got there!

Comment

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks it was a beautiful day

Name:	IMG_0253.JPG
Views:	284
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	305581Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0254.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	305580Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0255.JPG
Views:	291
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	305579 Fun day. The ribs were delicious

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here