Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the maiden voyage, being this SV machines very 1st cook, I Sous Vide cooked those 4 ribeye steaks in my earlier photos.
    Ran them at 133.5°F, verified with my Thermapen, cooking them right at 2 hours.
    Each steak put out around 1/4 cup of liquid into its individual bag during that time.
    -
    At the 2 hour mark, I pulled and "painted" each steak with unsalted butter and then rubbed each one with 50% 1/16" cracked black pepper, and 50% Kosher Salt (by weight)
    -
    At that point I added oil to a heated cast iron skillet while continuing to heat that skillet on my hottest burner to the point where the oil was slightly smoking.
    I then seared those 1-1/2" thick steaks as well as searing each of the steaks edges.
    Next, I pulled my pre-heated smallish cast iron steak skillets from the oven, placing the 4 steaks on these skillets.
    Next, I poured the juice from the SV bags over each one and then served them to the eaters.
    Each small steak skillet was sitting on its own individual wooden trivet.
    (Looked really good, but I was too busy to take photos)
    -
    Seriously, these fine ribeye steaks were as close to high quality "restaurant" steaks as they could get.
    ALL eaters (including myself) agreed that they were excellent in their edge to edge doneness, with a rich full flavor, BUT we all felt that they were missing something.
    YUP, we ALL missed the KBQ SMOKE FLAVOR!
    -
    So there you have it folks.
    As far as we four are concerned, perfectly cooked, seasoned and seared steaks just don't measure up to steaks that have been put through the KBQ and have been "bathed" in light blue smoke.
    -
    My wife summed the whole experience up by saying..."This steak is soooo good, but I do miss one thing. I miss the smoke flavor. I guess I'm spoiled." (Yes babe, we ALL are!)
    'Nuff said!

Smoke On!

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Could've been albumen - worth straining out.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      BBQ_Bill those are proteins floating in the juices. I am with EdF I would strain them out.

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Gotcha. To me these gray chunks looked kind of gross sitting on the steaks.
      Oh well, Thanks guys.
      I will run the next batch of lovely juice through my fine strainer.

Originally posted by BBQ_Bill View Post
    On the maiden voyage, being this SV machines very 1st cook, I Sous Vide cooked those 4 ribeye steaks in my earlier photos.
    Ran them at 133.5°F, verified with my Thermapen, cooking them right at 2 hours.
    Each steak put out around 1/4 cup of liquid into its individual bag during that time.
    -
    At the 2 hour mark, I pulled and "painted" each steak with unsalted butter and then rubbed each one with 50% 1/16" cracked black pepper, and 50% Kosher Salt (by weight)
    -
    At that point I added oil to a heated cast iron skillet while continuing to heat that skillet on my hottest burner to the point where the oil was slightly smoking.
    I then seared those 1-1/2" thick steaks as well as searing each of the steaks edges.
    Next, I pulled my pre-heated smallish cast iron steak skillets from the oven, placing the 4 steaks on these skillets.
    Next, I poured the juice from the SV bags over each one and then served them to the eaters.
    Each small steak skillet was sitting on its own individual wooden trivet.
    (Looked really good, but I was too busy to take photos)
    -
    Seriously, these fine ribeye steaks were as close to high quality "restaurant" steaks as they could get.
    ALL eaters (including myself) agreed that they were excellent in their edge to edge doneness, with a rich full flavor, BUT we all felt that they were missing something.
    YUP, we ALL missed the KBQ SMOKE FLAVOR!
    -
    So there you have it folks.
    As far as we four are concerned, perfectly cooked, seasoned and seared steaks just don't measure up to steaks that have been put through the KBQ and have been "bathed" in light blue smoke.
    -
    My wife summed the whole experience up by saying..."This steak is soooo good, but I do miss one thing. I miss the smoke flavor. I guess I'm spoiled." (Yes babe, we ALL are!)
    'Nuff said!

Smoke On!

Hmmm... I appreciate your love for the KBQ cooker. I will never buy one but I follow this thread because you guys are Kick ass BBQ dudes.

I appreciate your love of the taste of light blue smoke. We all strive to get that off of whatever cooker we are using.

However... if I'm grilling USDA Prime steaks, screw the smoke flavor!

Give me a well brined (overnight) piece of meat, preferably with Pink Himalayan Sea Salt, allow me to put it in a vacuum sealed bag and then in my Magic hot tub at 131° for 4 to 10 hours, or whenever I'm ready to eat it, and then let me take it out of the SV bag, blot it dry with paper towels and then paint on some "Beef Love" and then Sear it on my charcoal starter.😆

When that steak is done... I'm going to hit it with some very freshly ground pepper out of a pepper mill that I can adjust for the size of pepper chunks that go on to my steaks.

Guess what... I like the taste of USDA Prime beef MUCH more than I like light blue smoke!!!🤗

I can put light blue smoke on select grade steak, but I WILL NOT put it on USDA Prime steaks!

Now... let's talk about pork ribs, butts and other cuts with light blue smoke, and I'm all in.👍
    Last edited by Breadhead; July 18, 2017, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Mike, my buddy and I had 2" ribeye steaks prior to this that were seared on the top of the KBQ, then spritzed and rubbed and then smoked in the KBQ at 225°F (I think... will consult my notes) until they hit 135°F internal.
      He also had these first SV steaks.
      Mike said the KBQ steaks were better than these SV steaks.
      I also had one of the KBQ steaks and agreed with him.
      Some don't like smoke on steaks, some do.
      My boss prefers them as you do, no smoke.
      -
      Mikes's suggestion after eating the SV steak was to:
      1) SV to 133°F
      2) Sear on the Weber.
      3) Rest a bit and try them out.
      -
      I PERSONALLY think that my buddy Mike just wants another ribeye steak!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        So next try SV-ing a tough piece - "London Broil", chuck steak, flank steak - for a while longer, and see what you get!

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF ... yes! Extended time in the Magic hot tub will tenderize a tough steak. Going from 2 hours to 4 hours won't do it. It takes more like 12/15 hours to tenderize a tri tip so it's as tender as a Filet Mignon.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotta try this.
        My wife dearly LUVS tender steaks like filet.

I don't like smoke on steak or lamb.
      But reverse engineered steaks on KBQ are some kind of special. It's not regular smoke.
      But SV just produces a spectacular steak.
      What if you KBQ the steak at low temp, vacuum seal and cool it. Then let it swim in the hot tub time machine?

Are you going to make me buy steaks for an experiment?

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        You could always send them to him with a prepaid return envelope!

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        You know it.

Ernest, I agree that KBQ smoke is special.
      AND, I am not the only one that thinks this way in my circle of friends and family.
      I also agree that SV is remarkable in its ability to cook to perfection.
      Experiments are in order, and I for one am going to be trying for the SV + KBQ = perfection thing.
      -
      The problem of brisket bark changing into mush in the SV is heavy on my mind though...

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Bill... SV first, 165° for 24 hours, and then cold shock it. Put it in the fridge overnight. Then smoke it to finish the cook. I smoke my SV'ed pork butts until my bark looks good and then I pull it... about 5 hours at 240°. Then I wrap it and Cambro it for a few hours.

Well Breadhead, I have several briskets wet aging and being held at 32°F to 33°F.
      (These are choice cryovaced full packers)
      -
      Could easily pull one out to try this.
      Probably could simply leave it "as is" in the bag and put it into my 6 gallon chili pot?
      Would this 800 watt Anova unit I bought be enough to do the job?

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes pics or it didn't happen.

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        I have read multiple times that it is not recommended to use cryovac bags directly for sous vide. They're not made for heat, and can/will leech chemicals into your food. To be on the safe side, I always re-bag.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotcha badf00d, thank you most kindly.
        I have a vacuum bag unit I bought for elk that will work just fine.
        Besides... there is always liquid in the cryovac bag and I can go ahead and trim the extra fat off of the cap and the silverskin off of the bottom of the flat.

Learned this from Ernest :" I Sous Vide chuck roast at 135 for 48 hours. It turns into ribeye."
      I do this then I refrigerate overnight, put in the freezer for about an hour while getting the KBQ fire started and let in take on smoke until it hits 140*. I've done this several times for family and friends they they all cannot believe how delicious it is. I have not yet used the spurge (despise that word) for a sauce but you all have inspired me to do so next time.
      A couple friends have still not guessed or been told what cut of meat it is. Recently I did 2 chucks for 4 of us and by the end of the night both were gone. Try this and you will be hooked. My wife whom eats very little meat cannot resist 2nds every time I do this cook.
      I love brisket but prefer this over it. (I know I just spoke BBQ blasphemy).

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Also... I have some White Post Oak, Emory Oak, Pecan, and Apple wood.
        What do you suggest for the smoke to 140°F internal for these roasts?

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Apple Is my go to but I like post oak also. Looking forward to your results.

• BBQ_Bill
        BBQ_Bill commented
        Editing a comment
        Both Post Oak and Apple are great woods to smoke with from my experience.
        I will go with a mix of these two for this one.
        -
        I REALLY should have started this experiment sooner.
        48 hours puts this coming out of the SV Sunday evening.

Loving BBQ Briskets is not required. Knowing how to smoke it so you blow people's mind when they taste it is required.

For some strange reason how you smoke a brisket is your report card when BBQing. Thankfully, a brisket, a pork butt and a chuckie are all the same cook... except for the trimming and preparation. Then there's the cooking time to reach probe tenderness.

All three will make your taste buds dance...

Comment

You are right Breadhead and there is something satisfying about cooking a brisket traditionally that comes out better than you've ever had at any restaurant, maybe it is that strange report card thing you speak of that makes us feel that way.
        And you are also correct all three cuts will get the taste buds a rock'n! 🎼🎼🎼

Comment

Took a vacation day to get a chance to try out the KBQ today. Was painful not being able to get to it last weekend when it arrived, but ended up at the AirExpo with wife. On the plus side my Winco SPF1 1-1/4-Inch Pan arrived last night and it fits great. Going to give a pork butt a shot.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Remember to empty your pan before it gets too full.
            First time, I struggled and ended up making a mess even though I was trying to be careful.
            Now, at about 1/3 to 1/2 full I can pour it into my 5-gallon grease bucket no prob.

• SteinerBBQ
            SteinerBBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tip BBQ_Bill

Originally posted by GourmandPhil View Post
          Took a vacation day to get a chance to try out the KBQ today. Was painful not being able to get to it last weekend when it arrived, but ended up at the AirExpo with wife. On the plus side my Winco SPF1 1-1/4-Inch Pan arrived last night and it fits great. Going to give a pork butt a shot.
          We look forward to seeing your results! make sure we get some pics too!

Comment

Wow, the smell is unreal so far! Makes me want to just be outside all day doing yard work.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170720_103856.jpg Views:	1 Size:	370.1 KB ID:	350223

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170720_103917_1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	466.7 KB ID:	350224

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170720_113318.jpg Views:	1 Size:	201.9 KB ID:	350225
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170720_113928.jpg Views:	1 Size:	199.8 KB ID:	350226
            Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170720_113942.jpg Views:	1 Size:	455.0 KB ID:	350227

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170720_123331.jpg Views:	1 Size:	429.3 KB ID:	350228

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20170720_123403.jpg Views:	1 Size:	160.6 KB ID:	350229

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Not many of us can still see our reflections in the firebox! Enjoy!

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              My 2 concerns when I pulled the trigger and purchased my KBQ was obtaining the needed wood and the amount of tending it would require. Found both not to be an issue at all finding different wood...fun. That amazing smell your right just want to hang by it and enjoy. Congrats!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              That thing is gorgeous. I wish the firebox could always look like that.

Spinaker, Ernest, and BBQ_Bill, thank you all for responding to my questions about times, temps, and poppets for the four meats I initially plan to cook!

I got my KBQ cooker last week and it's a beauty. Very impressive design and construction. And, as everyone has said, perfectly packed for shipping.

Unfortunately my first cook didn't go so well. I'm using red oak. I cooked three slabs of Swift non-injected center-cut spare ribs, and two giant Foster Farms non-injected chickens, all from Costco. The ribs turned out too dry and chewy (except in the center) with little smoke flavor. I couldn't get the temps up high enough to cook the chicken right. I was really bummed and had some buyer's remorse.

The next morning I realized what went wrong: I didn't make the coal bed properly. It was not covering my coal grate nearly enough. The logs were coaling, but they were raised up over the firebox for the most part. I was not waiting for them to break down or helping them to do so with the tamper. This meant the fan was pulling in more air from the outside (from the sides of the firebox) than from inside the firebox. My brain made the mistake of assuming that, because the smoke in the firebox rises up, that it would sink down into the cooker the same way.

As I was thinking about what went wrong, several of BBQ_Bill's posts came flooding back into my head about how he makes sure there is a coal over every coal grate hole, and how he pulls coals down off the logs from the side to ensure the coal bed is there. Thank you, BBQ_Bill for all your detailed posts! And then Bill Karau posted four reasons why temps might not be high enough, and #1 was a < 1" coal bed.

My next cook will be reverse-seared tri tip (searing it on top of the KBQ's firebox!) and another chicken. I will be sure to make a good coal bed! If it turns out, I'll post pics.

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. There will be no need to repeat! ;-)

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Ditto that, trashed the t-shirt I got as fast as I could. Learning from failure always makes us wiser.

johnnylighton Oh yeah, yo have to get the logs in there kind of loosely packed. That way they fall into a nice bed of hot coals

Comment

275 for 8 hours turned out a pretty darn good first attempt. More than anything, I'm impressed with the quality of the bark that the KBQ puts out. Best I've been able to do since I started smoking last summer. I was worried I may need to spritz it, but doing a search it didn't seem like it was mentioned that often. Ended up glad I didn't as this was the juiciest pork butt I've made yet. It literally started to fall apart in my gloves as I was trying to pull it. A good problem to have I suppose. Will need to solve for that the next go round.

Such a fun machine and the neighbors seemed pretty happy we invited them over to try some.

Two hours to go

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170720_170242.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	350384

Time to pull it

Name:	IMG_20170720_193333.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	350385

So tender it fell apart in my gloves

Name:	IMG_20170720_195649.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	350386

Time for the Bear Claws

Name:	IMG_20170720_200248.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	178.4 KB
ID:	350387

Bark up close

Name:	IMG_20170720_200623.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	350388

Comment

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks Barkolicious!

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahahaha, that looks insane. You can see from the pulled pork picture, just how moist it was. That last picture belongs in the Pit letter!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here