Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks INCREDIBLY YUMMY!
    Way to go SteinerBBQ !

Comment

I gotta tell ya... I smoked meats on offsets for years, and NEVER had bark taste as good as KBQ bark.
      Smoke On!

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ_Bill View Post
        Looks INCREDIBLY YUMMY!
        Way to go SteinerBBQ !
        Thanks @BBQ_Bill

My wife is looking for me to make chicken next. Seems like people here really like chicken on the KBQ, so I'll go with that over putting them on the PBC. What wood would people recommend for chicken? I've seen mesquite being mentioned here and in Franklin's book he mentions Pecan and the fruitwoods do well with chicken.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          You are most welcome sir.
          I will pass on smoked chicken advice, and point you towards others here.
          Mine was quite good according to the eaters, but I am not even pleased (yet)

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          The KBQ does a great chicken! My goto wood is fruit - usually cherry and apple. Apple gives a browner color. I start low and slow for a while (1 1/2 -2 hours) then crank the heat up to max to crisp it some.
          I also do a reverse sear on the top of the smoke box if I skip the crank up at end

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          SteinerBBQ I use mesquite and oak for chicken. Leave it naked on a rack overnight to get the skin dry.
          Max out the KBQ, let it get to 325ish before you get the chicken in.
          After that, let the KBQ do what it do. Check temp at 45 minute mark. It cooks pretty fast.

I've done it a couple of times with oak - that being all I had. 4-5lb chickens, spatchcocked, mid-lower part of the cookbox, leg-quarters to the back, fully open throttle, lower poppet only. Took 2 hours from lighting the chimney to done. Nice skin, juicy meat.

Comment

SteinerBBQ
          I like to use Meathead's Simon and Garfunkel rub. I give the chicken a dusting of salt and baking powder the day before the cook. I let it sit in the fridge, uncovered, until cooking. Then I rub with the S&G rub and add it to the KBQ.

I like to smoke the chicken hot and fast. I make sure the fire is really going and the KBQ is hot. Then I put the chicken in the cook box and let it go. I don't turn it all the way up but I run the KBQ at about 375 F to 400 F. You will get some amazing crispy skin if you then take it out of the cook box when it is at about 150 F. Then sear it up over the live fire in the cook box. (I use a cast iron grate from my Lodge Sportsman's Grill) It is a bit labor intensive, but the flavor is incredible.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I might have to change to oil, I usually use butter. Avocado oil might be the ticket. Excellent, warm buttery-taste. Thanks EdF !!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm pretty sure I got this trick from Kenji - but it definitely works!

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm avocado oil... GREAT idea that will be on my next chicken cook 👌

Spinaker I use homemade ghee on chicken skin. Butter doesn't do well with grills.
          Bacon grease, Macadamia nut oil and avocado oil are great alternatives.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            What would be your thoughts on rendered duck fat? I have a 1 gallon pail of the stuff!

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker I have 5 pounds of that gold. Works really really well. I just worship it too much to use on the grill. Makes the best scrambled eggs.

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            use that duck fat to pan fry a sous vide pork chop! so good

I have to agree with Ernest on this one.
          Ghee is the best of the best.

Comment

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm there on the ghee idea, very interested to how the duck fat turns out, Spinaker.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            I wish you lived closer, I would send you some. hogdog6

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm sure ghee would be great, but so would rendered duck (or other) fat.

Hey hogdog6 seeing as how I cannot post photos in comments, I will continue with my current SV experiment here.
          (You know the drill... No photos, it did not happen)
          -
          Okay, what I have is four Cross Rib Roasts (Chuck Roast was not on sale hogdog6 so I went with these).
          They were vacuum bagged tightly and put into the SV bath at 135°F last night.
          This is now the second cook with this new 800 Watt Anova unit.
          -
          We are in for a long cook here at 48 hours in my favorite SS Chili pot.
          No seasoning nor salt was added, just fresh beef in vacuum freezer bags placed into the "Magic Bath" as I read it was called.
          -
          I plan to cold shock them in salted ice water upon pulling them from the SV due to wanting them to cool down very rapidly.
          PLUS, am NOT wanting anything hot going into my cold storage fridge and warming up my wet aging beef ribs and beef brisket.
          So... the plan is to then shock these four bagged roasts into cold submission, and following that, to store them at 32°F overnight.
          -
          I can see that I need to get up early Monday morning and fire up the Weber and the KBQ.
          Next will be to remove them from the vacuum bags, and then sear two of the four as an experiment within an experiment.
          Because of the larger grilling area, I will go with Kingsford Coals in the Weber for this sear.
          -
          I am thinking that because it works so well, I will follow the sear with the same spritz and rub I use on brisket.
          With two seared and all four, spritzed and rubbed, it is now time to chill and rest them for one hour in the deep freeze.
          After a cold timeout, into the smoke they go!
          Yup, a hot and smokin' KBQ SET at a 225°F average.
          With 4 probes installed, we will be watching for 140°F internal.
          -
          Hmmm... interesting that this experimental cook for two of the four roasts when done will be Hot, Cold, Hot, Cold, Hot.
          Which is, SV, Cold shock + fridge, Sear, Freezer, Smoke.
          -
          My wife and buddy Mike will take over once they are in the smoke, adding wood and spritzing until they hit 140°F.
          I SHOULD be able to come home to a wonderful lunch around noon on Monday if all goes according to plan.
          -
          Click image for larger version

Name:	4 Roasts in the SV.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	351069

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            It's a combination of time and temp, not strictly temp. With the SV approach, less energy continues to be pumped into the food for a longer time - sort of a multiplicative effect.

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            Best-laid plans of mice and men...
            I am going to put a pause into this experiment and at the 48 hour mark, rapidly chill these 4 in salted ice water, and then hold them in the 32°F fridge until next weekend.

• BBQ_Bill
            BBQ_Bill commented
            Editing a comment
            They are pasteurized and sealed, so they will be fine per Sous Vide safety posted at:

-
            BTW, this is a GREAT read!

So EdF, it must be that the collagen will break down at a temperature lower than 160°F if given enough time.
          I read that collagen is water soluble, and moist heat breaks it down faster, so maybe it is simply dissolved into gelatin given enough time.
          Dr. Blonder probably knows the answer to this.

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            That matches my understanding and experience.

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            That is how I understand it too. Looking forward to your results.

BBQ Bill collagen will break down at about 135 if given enough time at that constant temperature. That's what I do with beef short ribs, the flanken cut. It's tough for grilling without some kind of marinade. But let it swim in a 135 degrees hot tub time machine for 12 to 24 hours and it's better than a well marbled ribeye. It's meat butter.

Comment

Okay gents.
            That explains why one fellow was able to smoke a brisket at 200°F in a pellet machine for 24 hours and have it turn into moist jiggly.
            Got it! Makes sense now.
            Thank you both as this is really great info.

Comment

Originally posted by GourmandPhil View Post

My wife is looking for me to make chicken next. Seems like people here really like chicken on the KBQ, so I'll go with that over putting them on the PBC. What wood would people recommend for chicken? I've seen mesquite being mentioned here and in Franklin's book he mentions Pecan and the fruitwoods do well with chicken.
              First try with chicken. Unknown Louisiana oak. Both poppets open. No special prep but dusted an hour or so before cooking. Wasn't going for crispy skin at temps between 238 and 255, just wanted to see how the chicken would do at a low temp. A little more smoke flavor than with dirty poppet closed but not much more. Smoke flavor very similar to my PBC but the chicken was much juicier. Chicken done in 2 hours 15 minutes. Ribs in 4. Apple juice spritz every hour.

Ribs were really good. No fall off the bone but rather a nice, clean pull. I had removed the membrane and rubbed an hour before cooking. Made a glaze of about half apple juice, half maple syrup and tbsp. butter. Color and surface texture were very nice and the front end of the bite led to overeating.

I'm still learning about my wood. My oak doesn't seem to coal as well as I'd like and may need more time to dry. There are a lot of species of oak in Louisiana and I don't have much experience burning them. I'm learning, too, that log size is important--too tight a fit and the logs tend to smolder more than they flame. I look for a log that has a shape that might allow some air space between it and the log below it. Bill Karau's Red Bull and brick guidelines are right on IMO.

Name:	IMG_20170722_163723.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	351570

Comment

• hogdog6
                hogdog6 commented
                Editing a comment
                I love the color n those ribs. Fantastic

SteveEd fine looking cook.
              As far as wood goes, you're better off investing in a chopper and cut logs to size. And find a forestry service to get really good wood.
              I cook with oak as main heat source and add other Woods for flavor

Comment

• SteveEd
                SteveEd commented
                Editing a comment
                Kindling Cracker update: Purchased the larger one today at Northern Tools along with a 4 lbs. hammer. Perfect. Handles short logs well, too.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                This is what I like about not being too quick. It works fine. Just get your initial bite and everything is easy, very easy.

• SteveEd
                SteveEd commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, EdF, it works great. I've split a few logs already. I'm on the heels of BBQ_Bill age wise and not interested in too much effort. I found it to be easy though I had it on the lawn. It will be even easier once mounted to a more solid base. This thing is perfect for my needs. Highly recommended.

I agree with Ernest!
              This is a beautiful sight SteveEd!
              DANG the more I look at that photo, the hungrier I get!
              (It's 11:53 AM and I haven't had anything to eat yet...)
              Would you be so kind my friend, as to please post a "Scratch-and-Sniff"?
              -
              In regards to saws...
              I started off sawing wood for the KBQ with a 21" Bow Pruning Saw with the logs being held in a bench vice.
              My right arm got stronger, but at 65 years of age THAT got old real quick!
              Next, my Milwaukee deep-cut portable band-saw and that bench vise did me well on the cuts to length until I wore out the rubber wheels on that aging saw.
              After I saw Aaron Franklin using a 12" miter saw to cut his Oak, I purchased a Ridgid 40J7 12" Miter with a cross-cut carbide toothed blade and it SERIOUSLY ROCKS!
              It's quick, powerful, and my cuts are right to 10-1/4" length every time, which gives the firebox room to "breath".
              Got it in nearly new condition right here in Phoenix.
              It was an eBay find and was a "steal" at only $100.
              Went ahead and bought another blade as a backup.
              -
              I use the supplied KBQ fire tool to adjust and pry the freshly added wood to where it is against the end opposite to the poppets.
              This saw and the positioning of the freshly added wood seem to work very well for me.
              -
              Smoke On!

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah, i kind of wish I'd remembered my wife's compound miter saw before I sprang for the loppers. Then again, there's no room to set it up right now.

• bbqncigars
                bbqncigars commented
                Editing a comment
                I can see a compound miter saw being quicker, more efficient (smaller kerf), and lower maintenance than a lopper. I think I'm going to shop for one. It should be easy to rig up a base that can be held in my Workmate 600. Does a regular compound miter saw work well, or do you need one that slides?

Name:	IMG_0422.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	352181
              The color of KBQ food never ceases to amaze!

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                You got that right! Great pic dude!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here