Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kaptkobe Fire up the KBQ and set up your leave-in thermo. Let the Pit come up to temp. Grab a sharpie and mark on the control box where temps 225 F, 250 F, 275 F and 325 F average are. Then you always know where to turn the dial. Mine has numbers printed on it too, but they are not indicative of the Pit temp. i just run the dial to my premark positions and then I am good to go!

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      kaptkobe runs a range, it's never dead on. Find a sweet a range. Mine has temps instead of numbers but that too varies.

• Histrix
      Histrix commented
      Editing a comment
      Mine also has temps but they are really just a rough guide and will vary quite a bit depending on weather and wood being burned. Varies a lot more when I get distracted and forget to reload the firebox in time.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I figure I need to be out there feeding it, so I just put my "air probe" thermapen into the controller stack hole, and "tend the temps". It varies a bit each time anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0826.JPG
Views:	308
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	320457 Don't forget the tips Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0825.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	320456All rubbed up Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	320455 Getting her started

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Does that electric fire starter work?

• kaptkobe
      kaptkobe commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest yes it does ....... eventually

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      I use my Looftlighter (at least I think that's how it's spelled) followed by the BBQ Dragon. Same routine as for my Primo Jr.

Name:	IMG_0829.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	320497Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0830.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	320496Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0828.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	320495 All done

Comment

• kaptkobe
      kaptkobe commented
      Editing a comment
      They were great, could have gone another 30 min but it started to rain so I pulled them, great sweet smoke flavor. I used hickory and cherry, you could really tell the flavor profiles, I've never tasted smoke flavor without the bitterness this way. My kbq will from henceforth be known as R2-Delicious
      Last edited by kaptkobe; May 17, 2017, 08:46 PM.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker you are correct that KBQ color never ceases to blow me away. Those look fantastic!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You know it! hogdog6

Second rib cook on the KBQ... much better this time. Slightly higher temp, slightly longer, absolutely delicious. Meltingly tender with great bark.
    Two questions for everyone: First, does anyone have a specific pan they've found that really fits well in the bottom of the KBQ to catch the grease? All of my sheet pans are just slightly too big. Second, my wife has requested smoked burgers. Anyone have a recipe they really like for KBQ burgers? Thanks!
    Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      You know it! carolts

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Standard hotel full pan - get stainless for the cleanup. I got a 2" and if I were to do it again, I'd go down to an inch or inch and a half for less rack interference.

• kaptkobe
      kaptkobe commented
      Editing a comment
      EdF That's what I'm using 1.25" stainless steam table pan, I found that the 2.25" interfered with the door at the lowest rack position

cookingmadly I place my baking sheet just under the door to catch the drippings. You could shape a foil to fit inside.
    As for smoked burgers, I season with salt and heavy on pepper. Make em thick. 225 and finish on the firebox.

Name:	IMG_20150918_162827.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	320612
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

cookingmadly I use a full size steam table pan in the lowest rack I can slide it in when doing ribs. They come in different depths. I have a couple different depths but this one is a good price - https://smile.amazon.com/Update-Inte...team+Table+Pan

Here's a 1 incher+/- but it is a lot more expensive - https://smile.amazon.com/Vollrath-30...team+Table+Pan

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        I got those much cheaper at a restaurant supply store

Ernest Restaurant supply stores are much cheaper but not everyone has easy access to one. I just used the Amazon links mainly to show what I was talking about.

Another online option is https://www.webstaurantstore.com/ . Their pricing is pretty good but if one is just buying one or two pans the shipping cost may be more than getting them from Amazon.

Comment

I use the large foil pans from Costco. Catch the drippings, then use it to hold the meat after all pau. Can also wash and reuse if you like.

Comment

Name:	IMG_2416.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	321029
          Guess what landed today? So excited for my first cook! Just waiting on some oak and cherry to arrive from fruitawood (figured I would try the best so I can compare when buying locally). Feel like a kid on Christmas Day! Can't wait to open and unbox. This thread is so amazing! Thank you all for the inspiration. There are so many things I want to try on the KBQ.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Let's get KBQing!

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            The packaging is a work of art in itself!

It's KBQing time 👌

Comment

cookingmadly I use the aluminum pans from Costco business center..... full size deep or shallow depth to prep food. Then use scissors to cut top half of the sidewalls and place in the bottom of kbq. Prefer having it all the way down on the bottom so air flow is not affected

Comment

Name:	IMG_5909 (3).jpg
Views:	284
Size:	206.0 KB
ID:	321253
              Just got home from Costco, FINALLY found some Beef short ribs...but also picked up a couple lamb racks and pork belly both of which I have never done (inspiration from this thread) any recommendations for a first time cook on the KBQ? TIA!

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
                Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
                Editing a comment
                All of it for the first cook!!!!!! Lol
                I would go with pork belly. Pork belly sandwiches are among my favorite. I would think pork belly would also be more forgiving like pork shoulder. Anyone else agree?

JASON1973 depends on how much time you have. Beef ribs can go with pig ribs. 225 degrees, pig ribs will be done first, so start cooking the the beef ribs first if you want to serve at the same time.
              Lamb, I go as low as I can get away with. 200 to 225 range will work. Take them to a few degrees below your serving temperature. Finish them with a sear on the firebox.
              Pork belly is very forgiving.
              Roll it to make Porchetta, smoke it as is, then cube it for burnt ends.
              smoke and slice thick for sammiches.

Comment

• Dale Case
                Dale Case commented
                Editing a comment
                I smoke in the rain. Put a large foil pan over fan box and set a small split on top hold it down. Use cover on firebox keep rain out.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                I've done what Dale Case said, NOT in heavy rain, just drizzle. But you'll have to be a Ninja though. LOL!!

• Dale Case
                Dale Case commented
                Editing a comment
                Ernest A lil Ninja practice is always a good thing Lol

Name:	image_38736.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	321621

First try at reverse sear
              Last edited by kaptkobe; May 20, 2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Guys/gals, I need some help. Although I've got the pit thing more or less figured out, I'm a duffer outside of the 4 main bbq food groups. Anyway, the wife and I are in a quarterly supper club with 3 other couples, and we've been assigned "bacon & eggs." The idea is to stretch your culinary skills, so we have procured some quail eggs and a fresh SRF Kurobota pork belly. We think we have a final glaze (molasses/chipotle) worked out, but several questions still remain:
                • Eggs - we're thinking poached sous vide at 147F for 30 min as a garnish on the belly
                • Belly - we're thinking:
                  • Sous vide at 140F for 24 hrs. I think I saw Ernest do it that way
                  • KBQ at 180F for 4 hours (SWAG)
                  • Torch to crisp
                Questions:
                • Do times and temps sound right?
                • What, if anything, goes in the bag(s) with the belly?
                • Would a (ripping hot) reverse sear on the Firebox be better than the torch?
                • Should I cut up the belly before SV, before KBQ, before torch/sear, or at the end?
                • Best size to cutup the belly. Maybe 1" x 3"? This is one of 4 courses, so it can't be too big.
                • Have I forgotten anything?
                Your thoughts and advice are most appreciated!

Comment

• badf00d
                  badf00d commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Depending on the fuel, and if it's not burning just right, a torch can impart a nasty/bitter flavor. If you've not used one before, I'd recommend experimenting ahead of time. If you have, then disregard.

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The fire box may not be good for searing belly, I would try the torch for precision!

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here