Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got out my real camera and have pictures of the KBQ.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSF6341.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	290915

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Great shot!!!

Today's cook, Pastrami. I did one last weekend 4 lbs as well 10 hours to cook and about 30 minutes to completed consume.

This time I have two 6 lb corned briskets, following Meathead's recipe.

Name:	_DSF6338.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	174.1 KB
ID:	290920Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSF6337.JPG
Views:	427
Size:	241.3 KB
ID:	290919Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSF6342.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	290921

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      That is going to be unbelievable.

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh man, Should be Delicious!

• KBQ
      KBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a dangerous setup. The C-60 should be located at least 6 feet from combustible materials and on a fireproof surface, e.g., stone or concrete. That wood deck is full of nice thin gaps just waiting to incubate an ember for a few hours. Please, please correct immediately! And hose down the deck thoroughly.
      Last edited by KBQ; March 18, 2017, 01:30 PM.

BBQ'd brisket, ribs, and pork butt today...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Ericm; March 18, 2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Gorgeous cook, nice job!!!
      What kinda sauces ya' got goin' on in pic #1? The two look different in viscosity, an' meniscus.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; March 28, 2017, 10:57 PM.

Love, love, love it!

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      When in the sam hell you gonna make the jump, man?!?

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker - that was my college coach's favorite saying! It was Sam Hill when he was acting mad and Sam Hell when he was really mad! Hahahahaha

• hogdog6
      hogdog6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Figured out a good oak wood source, working on fruit wood source, then gotta get the nerve to beg forgiveness from the wife when it shows up.

Finished product

Name:	_DSF6347.JPG
Views:	382
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	291236Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSF6346.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	308.5 KB
ID:	291237Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSF6344.JPG
Views:	407
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	291238

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome photos all the way up this thread since you got that thing!

Originally posted by Ericm View Post
    BBQ'd brisket, ribs, and pork butt today...
    Umm, that point looks on point!!! Wish I was your neighbor ;-)

Comment

Question for you KBQers: has anyone purchased extra shelves, and if so, where did you get them? I'm looking to buy more so I can smoke more ribs at once.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        KBQ should have some

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
        Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        KBQers think alike. Just bought 2 from KBQ. $30 each & $15 for shipping. Haven't used all 6 at same time yet but did make easy when I used 4 for ribs and the other 2 with chicken. Pulled ribs for cambro, cranked the heat, and put thighs in for about 45 minutes
        Last edited by Sacred Smoke BBQ; March 22, 2017, 02:43 AM. Reason: My mistake. I read @histrix comment where he guessed $20 and i had that number in my head. They were 30 each plus 15 shipping. Sorry @kbq

• KBQ
        KBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Extra wire shelves are $30 apiece + $15 shipping. Made by Kaspar Wire Works in Shiner TX USA.

More shelves.....more ribs I always say
      Attached Files

Comment

• Ericm
        Ericm commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice!

Going to smoke some salmon and some chicken quarters today, here are some mods/purchases I made recently:
      1. I drilled a probe hole and inserted a silicone grommet (thanks Histrix !)
      2. I wired up a normally closed micro-switch foot pedal to turn off the fan when I add logs, this is probably overkill but so is a lot of what we do in the name of this hobby
      3. I bought a 100' extension cable to smoke farther away from the house.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	kbq mods.jpg Views:	1 Size:	697.5 KB ID:	294582

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Good stuff JoeDSM !

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Love the foot pedal!!! It's more like a KBQ Wah pedal!! Awesome mod!

Looking forward to pics of your food.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, you're looking forward to pulling the trigger! Yes, we are relentless recruiters.

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Keep recruiting! I may have secured my fruit wood source, will know tomorrow. If secured I may be sleeping on the couch for a few nights sooner than later. Haha.

Did I see that in Star Wars? Just kidding lol. That looks really cool.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a real pleasure to use.

I smoked a few Pork butts today and the results were fantastic. I dusted these the night before with some Meat Church Deez Nutz Honey Pecan Rub. It a great rub. I also used Huskee 's BBQ sauce. That stuff is unreal. Great sauce. It was a huge hit with everyone. My brother said it was the best sauce he's ever had. Cheers to Husk for the recipe.
      I used a combo of Cherry and Oak wood for the smoke. I used the chop saw for the logs today. It makes quick work out of those little logs. But its perfect for sizing up the pieces. I like to make a variety of pieces to burn. I think it allows the logs to coal up better.

I will let the pictures speak for the rest.......
      Click image for larger version  Name:	KBQ:Pulled Pork:Door Open:Double.JPG Views:	1 Size:	7.81 MB ID:	294882Click image for larger version  Name:	KBQ:Pulled Pork.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.69 MB ID:	294883Click image for larger version  Name:	KBQ:DinnerPlate.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.16 MB ID:	294880Click image for larger version  Name:	KBQ:Chop Saw.JPG Views:	1 Size:	5.55 MB ID:	294881

Comment

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        I use one of these to cut wood for my KBQ - https://www.worx.com/jawsaw-chainsaw-wg307.html

Couldn't be any easier, quicker, and safer.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Good looking machine, Histrix. Wish I'd seen it before I bought the lopper, in order to compare.

Spinaker - what can I say? I'm used to cutting regularly sized pieces of wood with the chop saw.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha yeah. I hear ya. I posted that picture to my Instagram page noting how ridiculous it looked. But effective. EdF

Un-believable looking Q as usual. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        HD, Are you still on the fence? Or does the above convince you? Otherwise.....i don't know what else I can do......hehehe

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        My reply to EdF above says where I am. Getting closer... You're getting it done. Keep pics coming.

Any Cameo fans out there? It's like candy, you're so dandy.....
      Cooked hot and fast at about 290. Done in just under 3 hours (3 racks St. Louis cut ribs). Some thoughts....I knew there would be little smoke flavor cooking so fast. I don't like the texture/moisture of meat going low and slow without wrapping. However wrapping kills flavor. I like the texture/moisture of hot and fast. Next time I'm going to try low temp of 210-220 with combo smoke until meat internal temp is around 140-150. Then go to clean only and crank up to 275-300 until done. Hoping that will give me the balance of flavor/texture/moisture I'm looking for. Any thoughts?
      Attached Files

Comment

Sacred Smoke BBQ There were about 7.5 lbs each. Bought them from Costco at $2.29/b
        I ran at an average of about 275 F according to the fire board. Cycling between 260 F and 285 F. This is the perfect temp for the Butts in the KBQ. In my experience.

I used clean smoke the whole time. There were a few times when the upper poppet was open. But not long enough to make a difference. I rarely run the top poppet open, unless I am doing wings or something Hot and Fast.

I cooked until the Fire Board read 202 F. I probed the rest with my Thermapen. The average temp when I took it off was about 203 F. Super tender. Like butta. It was doing that waba deal making it tough too remove from the grate in one piece. #pitmasterproblems

I dry brined with the salt rub the night before and put the butts in the fridge, uncovered, overnight.The cook was about 8 hours long with a 2 hour rest in the warming drawer.

During the cook there was very little wind, maybe up to 5 MPH. Perfect cooking weather. Humidity was high but that didn't seem to make a difference. This was an amazing cook. Very Very good stuff. And paired with Huskee's sauce.....perfect. Let me know if you are curious about any other details. Smoke on Brother!

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
          Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          U forgot what direction the wind was coming from lol. Thanks for the great detailed response

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          S,SW at 2 to 5 MPH. Hahahahaha Sacred Smoke BBQ

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Ah, you had to look it up!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here