Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sacred Smoke BBQ View Post
    Any Cameo fans out there? It's like candy, you're so dandy.....
    Any thoughts?
    Wrapping, IMO, doesn't kill flavor. It kills texture. You lose the bark and it makes the meat a bit mushy. And more so the earlier you wrap. 140 F is pretty early to be wrapping, for my taste.

In the KBQ you really don't need to wrap because the convection effect all but negates the stall. Try cooking them at 275 F the whole time. No wrapping. I think you will like the results.

Comment

• Dale Case
      Dale Case commented
      Editing a comment
      Sacred Smoke BBQ I'm the same, don't like the heavy smoke so much, but have never had what I consider heavy smoke from kbq with top open the whole smoke. I use Kiawe which is a species of mesquite, great flavor.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      10-20 % Moisture is ideal. You can use wetter wood than that., but expect to clean the control unit more often. It also makes for more pungent smoke as well. Sacred Smoke BBQ

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      We experienced that with this weekend's cook. Used the low smoke setting, but the wood was a little wet. No issue first eat, but throwing some of the picnic into a Bolognese sauce, the wife thought it was a little too smoky (me, I liked it).

I used a this recipe for the salmon, and it turned out really well, I let the fish dry in the fridge overnight which the recipe did not call for. It took about 3 hours to smoke and my temps were hovering between 130 and 150 until the salmon hit about 120.

For the chicken, I just salted it, rubbed it with Simon and Garfunkel rub (which was awesome, it was my first time trying it), dried overnight in the fridge and pulled it when it hit about 110 so I could finish it in the oven at a higher temp.

I used the "clean" smoke setting which produced a much more subtle smoke flavor than my first cook which I preferred. Another thing I learned was that KBQ fluctuates 20-25 degrees up and down around my target temp which was 140, does it vary that much at high temperatures too?

Here are some pictures from my cook yesterday:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20170326_161204.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	287.6 KB
ID:	295014

Name:	20170326_163001.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	351.5 KB
ID:	295013

Name:	Chicken.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	353.4 KB
ID:	295015

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Next time you do chicken, turn the dial all the way up. Run the KBQ wipe open. The results are magical.

• JoeDSM
      JoeDSM commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I'll have to try that on my next all chicken cook, I was juggling 2 proteins and only had chicken in there because only cooking the fish seemed like a waste of fuel. When you say "wide open" you mean both smoke vents opened up right?

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been getting about a 20 degree range around the target temp too.

Originally posted by JoeDSM View Post
    I used a this recipe for
    Run the dial turned all the way up. (Max temp)

The night before., Let the chicken sit uncovered, overnight in the fridge on a rack. I just did some wings yesterday after cooking a few butts. I salted and seasoned the wings the night before. (usually just salt overnight, but I was in a hurry) Then put them on an elevated rack in the fridge. Then when its time to cook. I just put them in the cookbox, on the racks. Easy in, easy out.

Name:	IMG_2055.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	273.4 KB
ID:	295047

Comment

And .....

Comment

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        2nd And...
        Was expecting to secure my fruit wood supply today but due to rain the orchard manager wasn't available ☹️ Supposed to clear up tonight so hoping to get his way tomorrow.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I gotta find me an orchard soon!

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	295976
      Now I've gotta grow a pair and get it ordered. Going to take a good look at the couch for a few nights of sleeping comfort after begging forgiveness before I place the order. Apple and cherry. 🍎 🍒

Comment

• carolts
        carolts commented
        Editing a comment
        Go for it. Women love KBQ too...

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you figured out how to set it up on the boat yet!?! carolts

• carolts
        carolts commented
        Editing a comment
        Working on it :-p

The order is in!!! Now its all about how fast I can wait.

Comment

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        Welcome to the KBQ. What's your first cook going to be?

• hogdog6
        hogdog6 commented
        Editing a comment
        Chuck roast and chicken are my plan

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        That's a nice range to get started with!

The Friedrich KBQ-400 has finally landed, too!

Comment

• JoeDSM
        JoeDSM commented
        Editing a comment
        Congrats KBQ I wish I had an excuse to buy one!

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        Fine job as usual Bill. Makes me want to open a local BBQ joint!

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        That thing looks amazing!!!!

Originally posted by KBQ View Post
      The Friedrich KBQ-400 has finally landed, too!
      YES!!!! A great day for BBQ! Thanks for sharing Bill. Congrats on the new launch.

Comment

I was inspired by Spinaker to clean the Control Box assembly on my KBQ. Howerver, I was leary of using oven cleaner directly on the assembly itself. So I only used the oven cleaner on the fan blades (after removing them from the assembly of course). For everything else, I used a combination of stainless steel scrubbing pads, eraser pads, and paper towels. I'm pleased with the results...
        Attached Files

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking forward to a KBQ landing at my house next week!!!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          And we're looking forward to your unpack, assemble and cooks, hogdog6 ! Gives our lives meaning to help make someone happy!

• Ericm
          Ericm commented
          Editing a comment
          One of the benefits of cleaning the fan assembly is that it decreased the dead band ( the temp between when the pulling fan stops and when it starts again). It went from a dead band of 40 degrees to 20 degrees.

So have I been standing in the smoke too long, or do others notice this? I find that I can't smell meat from the KBQ until the meat is pretty much ready. And I'm known for having a sensitive sniffer. The effect is pretty reliable too!

Comment

Hello all, Just wanted to say thanks for all the useful information. As of two days ago I am the proud owner of a KBQ C60. Unfortunately for me I had to work this weekend so I haven't had the opportunity to fire it up. That will change soon i promise. Please keep the posting up for rookies like me!

Comment

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          spend an hour or so going through this thread from the beginning and there will be no learning curve at all to the kbq. let us know how your first cook goes!

ScottA
        Welcome to the KBQ Club!! And Welcome to the Pit! We Are happy to have you. Jump over to our Introduction Page and introduce yourself! Congrats on the New KBQ!
        Also, since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members, it contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.
        Also, it's very important that you:
        Give us an email address you actually use. You can check the email we have on file for you by clicking your name in the upper-right, then User Settings, then the Notifications tab. You currently cannot change your email on file with us since it’s tied to your Pitmaster Club account as well as our payment processor, Stripe. Don’t worry though, we’d be happy to change it for you. PM (private message) ”Huskee” with your email change request, or via email at huskee[at]AmazingRibs[dot]com.
        Add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list. We NEVER spam! This is important to receive notices about your account, such as if you’re up for renewal or are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner, which is open to all USA members or those with a USA delivery address (we’d hate to have to pick another person because you don’t answer us)!
        ​​​​​​​
        Last edited by Spinaker; April 2, 2017, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• ScottA
          ScottA commented
          Editing a comment
          Will do Spinaker!

Name:	IMG_1444.JPG
Views:	320
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	300455
        KBQ has landed!!! Unfortunately the only time I have to go out of town every year for business is now. However the weekend is coming, and meat will be smoking.

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah buddy!!

• Dale Case
          Dale Case commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweetness !!

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing like the first time unpacking of the KBQ. I remember it fondly. Get yourself a nice supply of wood pieces and let the smoking begin!

Welcome to the KBQ club ScottA

Comment

• ScottA
          ScottA commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Ernest!

• JGrana
          JGrana commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm in!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I could get into it!

Man this is a beautiful thing happening!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here