Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THAT, is a LOT of GREAT eatin' stacked up there!

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      My invitation must have gotten lost in the mail, yours too? ;-)

Yup.
    Probably the Mailman snagged our invites ComfortablyNumb

Comment

There is a fellow that has just bought a KBQ over at the main? site asking for help with smoking a turkey.
      I have no experience in this one.
      Can one of you guys or gals get with him on times/temps?
      ---------------

It's Dan, who just joined us here at The Pit...
      I just now asked him to come to this thread for help with that Turkey smoke.
      Last edited by BBQ_Bill; July 25, 2017, 09:23 AM. Reason: Woke up, put on my glasses and got REAL embarrassed!

Comment

• lostclusters
        lostclusters commented
        Editing a comment
        That would be me. I'll be watching here.

BBQ_Bill Oak and cherry wood, max out the temp. Time depends on bird size.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit lostclusters

Comment

I posted this: http://disq.us/p/1ksz77s in the KBQ review discussion. I believe this could be adapted to just about anything. The idea is to redirect the smoke up higher, like roof top high. But it all hinges on be able to mitigate the heat. I am pretty sure this is doable by keeping the right distance from the fire box. After one day of thinking about it I have already simplified some of the design. Using an 8" ventilator from Harbor Freight, the frame does not need to support the fan. I am current thinking about a 12" x 12" register flange as a collector. I am hoping that by keeping that flange about a foot and a half or more from the fire box, down wind, in addition to two 8" metal 90 degree elbows shaped like a drain trap will dissipate enough heat so the ducting will not melt. I suppose a heat sensor in the last elbow would be prudent.

Thoughts?

Comment

lostclusters What are you trying to achieve exactly?

Comment

• lostclusters
              lostclusters commented
              Editing a comment
              Not too rough, although I have not tested anything yet. I have acquired most of what is needed to put this together. I'll probably assemble and test it and then keep it on reserve just in case. I spoke to most of them today except one and they all said they could not smell it.

• lostclusters
              lostclusters commented
              Editing a comment
              But I have not smoked a brisket yet.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              I had to go ask my closest neighbor after a few cooks. He hadn't noticed at all, and I did have one where my fire management could have been better.

Here's my "Ed's Mighty Turkey" method. It's rooted in the BGE, but it's not hard to abstract away from that and transplant to the KBQ. Like Ernest said, keep the temps high (obviously you're not going to start at 500 as this method describes). This is a stuffed bird method, which I'm finding a bit unusual for outdoor cooking. If you're after gravy (and who wouldn't be), you'll probably want to stick to opening only the lower poppet.

Disclaimer, I haven't tried adapting it to the KBQ yet. And I expect it will be a bit quicker on it. Also, oil under the skin, not butter on the surface, for crispness. These days I'd likely dry brine rather than do the wet brine.

===

Suggest you get a bird 20lb or less if it's going into the Egg. You can
            try Mad Max's Turkey at http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm
            This is a big favorite among eggers. Haven't tried it myself.
            Good to check whether your setup will fit ahead of time. The one I find
            best involves platesetter, a low-sided roasting pan you can fit into the
            egg, and the grid. This year's went more or less like this:
            21 lb free-range turkey
            Prep (brining is optional):
            Double-recipe of "Basic Meat Brine" or "Apple-brined turkey" from the Big
            Green Egg recipe book (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/WiseOneRecipes.pdf.
            Brine for about 24 hours (seems right from my experience). We use a huge
            stainless pot for this, but you can use a large food grade plastic bag
            that you set in some kind of container.
            Remove from brine, pat dry, let sit in fridge uncovered for another 24
            hours (seems to help the skin crisp up).
            ====
            Cook day:
            This year the whole process from laying the fire through making gravy took
            5-1/2 hours, and I was moving slowly. Smaller turkey will take less time.
            ----
            Prep including the fire was about an hour and a half at a leisurely pace:
            (optional) I prepare a "dry" stuffing - no liquid in it initially.
            Generally, it's ground pork or sausage, good sized cubes of bread and
            herbs, mixed together in a big pot and cooked in butter until it mixes up
            well. This then goes into the oven covered at 325 while the turkey is
            cooking outside. More later. I didn't count stuffing making into the
            5-1/2 hours. Takes me an hour or so to put it together. I can give you a
            recipe if you want, but I'll bet you have one or more.
            Put the giblets (and wingtips, neck) in a stock pot and simmer slowly before starting the
            fire. Parsley, sage, thyme, bay leaf, a little salt and pepper - the
            usual drill. Some people think the liver makes the gravy bitter - I use
            it.

Simultaneous with building fire:
            Salt and pepper inside of turkey. Toss in a halved lemon and halved onion
            with skin on, and a bundle of herbs, if you like (remove all before
            stuffing).
            20 minutes to a half-hour before starting to cook put a plastic bag with
            ice cubes on breast. This helps equalize breast and dark meat cooking.
            Slather outside with oil, or better, butter. [Update: oil under the skin instead; ice cube treatment probably not necessary]

Butter a piece or two of bread on both sides, put in the roasting pan, and
            lay the bird breast down on it. This prevents ripping the skin.
            If you did rip the skin, put some cheesecloth over the section where bare
            meat is exposed, and slather well with melted butter. Remove the
            cheesecloth a half hour or so before the end of final cooking.

Fire:
            Make sure the firebox is clean. Load charcoal up to the middle of the
            fire ring. Let it burn for a while to get past white smoke phase. Put
            plate setter on, legs up before getting up to initial temp of 400. Just
            before putting in the bird, add a few sticks of apple or similar wood
            (amount depends on how smokey you want it - 3 1" thick by 3"-4" long
            sticks was subtlely smokey).
            [Edit: not applicable to KBQ]

----
            Initial cook (1-1/2 hours):
            Put the grid over the plate setter, put the roasting pan on top of it.
            Check to make sure the thermometer won't break the skin when you close the
            top. If your egg is like mine, it's probably hotter towards the back, so
            put the legs facing towards the hinge.
            Close the top and throttle the egg down to 325. Total cook for this part
            is 1-1/2 hours. You can melt some butter with herbs in it (eg thyme,
            sage, etc) and baste every 20 minutes or so. Once the butter is gone, the
            pan drippings are good for it.
            Cook stuffing covered in oven about an hour at 325 while this is going on.
            [Edit: basting not needed either]

----
            Stuffing and turning (~40 minutes at a leisurely pace):
            Take turkey off and bring inside, but leave egg going. Remove stuffing
            from oven, but leave oven going.
            Let it cool enough so you can work with it.
            Remove the pieces of bread from the pan. Stuff the bird. Lay it breast
            up in the pan.
            You'll probably have more stuffing than needed for the bird. Add some
            white wine to moisten it a bit or some of the pan drippings (wine turns
            out less greasy and you don't have to defat the drippings now). Put it in the oven for about an hour

---
            Final cook (this time it was 1:50; it can take as little as an hour for
            smaller birds)
            Put the bird back in as before, with legs towards the back. Shut the top
            and have a beer or something. Continue basting. I started checking
            doneness with an instant thermometor at about 1:25. Shoot for 180 at the
            thigh (or the loose drumstick method) and 165 at the breast.
            Pull the bird and let it cool while you make the gravy.

----
            About a half hour for cool down and gravy (but nothing else is ever ready,
            so it's usually longer - no harm).
            Typical pan gravy. Skim off the fat, add flour (first) and white wine to
            drippings, maybe some shallots, the cut-up giblets and stock from
            earlier. Simmer to desired consistency.

----
            That's it. I've done variations on this for years now. Always comes up
            excellent.

Comment

• lostclusters
              lostclusters commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you for the recipe, tips, instructions, and effort. Most appreciated.

Yep, I use the miter saw as well. It works great! Click image for larger version

Name:	KBQ:Chop Saw.JPG
Views:	438
Size:	134.4 KB
ID:	352495

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              hahaha, same thing! Only this is a Chevy! BBQ_Bill

• bbqncigars
              bbqncigars commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like an electric miter saw is in my future. Does a regular one work well enough or do you need a slider? I'm hoping a regular 12" would do the job, as the sliders run more $.

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              A regular one works super for me bbqncigars.
              $100 on eBay, solid performer.
              Local purchase. Picked it up.
              Nearly new including a quality cross-cut blade.
              Craigslist.org may be a good bet as well.

Incredible Spinaker!
            We are just making it happen and in a way that is so much alike it is unbelievable that we didn't communicate and copy each others success!
            Last edited by BBQ_Bill; July 26, 2017, 10:22 PM. Reason: Clarity...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2520.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	217.3 KB
ID:	352808
              Bought 3 USDA prime ribeyes from Costco for my wife's birthday dinner. Dry brined them for 24 hours with salt. Then another 12 hours with Oakridge Black Ops brisket rub.

Name:	IMG_2524.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	352807

Threw them on the KBQ for about an hour until they reached an internal temp of about 120. Tried to maintain a smoker temp of 200 throughout the whole cook. Used all post oak with only the clean smoke vent open. Then seared them for about a minute per side on top of the KBQ using the Lodge cast iron grill grate which fits perfectly by the way. They came out very moist with just a hint of smoke in the background, nothing too overwhelming. Thanks to this forum for all the great ideas, including using the top of the KBQ firebox as a final sear!

Name:	IMG_2527.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	352802

Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                That grate fits perfect. That is what I use as well!

I've had a Lodge Sportsmans Grill for a bit over a decade. Grilled many an item and cooked and/or seared many a steak on it. As much as I like to play with my KBQ I really can't think of an advantage to just searing steaks on the Lodge grate while it is still on the Lodge.

Comment

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                That little Sportsman Grill is a searing machine!

• Histrix
                Histrix commented
                Editing a comment
                The thought of cooking a steak inside the KBQ has never crossed my mind. Perhaps when I'm next smoking a butt or the like I'll give that a try as a snack.

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought the little Lodge just because of you guys. My husband thinks I'm nuts, but doesn't argue with the results of my MCS.

Had my lodge sportsman grille for years and it is the king of sear. When I moved a few years ago lost the little slider air adjust door and can't find a replacement but really only use it to sear anyway. Because of Spinaker and finding how well it fits top of the KBQ meat snacks are seared while doing a long smoke. Histrix, I never had a ribeye as a snack though, sounds like a great plan. 😎

Comment

Howdy my "Smoking Brothers and Sisters!"
              -
              I was in the Air Force, and am used to hour upon hour of intense cleaning.
              However, completely removing the very stubborn smoke stains that adhere to every inside surface each time I use these two KBQs takes literally hours of steady work, and figuratively about a 5-gallon bucket of "elbow grease" to get there.
              -
              The amount of time that I take to scrub these machines is because I want a certain "Level" of cleanliness and shine if you will, and to make that happen each time takes an incredible amount of work for this old man.

Not really whining here, just thinking that there HAS to be a better way to do this each time.
              Am wanting to spend less time scrubbing and more time doing things like developing the several modifications I have in store for the KBQ.
              -
              Was discussing with my wife my intentions of finding a food safe spray that could be applied after a thorough and intense super cleaning.
              Wanting a spray that would come off with power washing instead of my time consuming heavy pressure scrubbing with Scotch-Brite pads.
              -
              Anyone have anything they use and recommend?

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
                BBQ_Bill commented
                Editing a comment
                Ajax on the Scotch-Brite helps...

• SteveEd
                SteveEd commented
                Editing a comment
                You could buy a new KBQ.

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol!

A Hotsy would do it (one former employee cleaned an F150 door to bare metal with one), but I think they might be a little spendy. Have you tried oven cleaner?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here