Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So for my group's annual summer party (fifth year at my house!) I'm thinking of a KBQ full of tandoori boneless chicken thighs. Anybody tried this yet? The event's not till June 22 so I've got time. Also on the menu is pulled pork (I've allowed one of the guys with a BGE to cook this, but also did some extra as a back-up plan and it was all gone) and boneless leg of goat (a new item last year and requested again this year).

I did boneless turkey breast last year in the PBC before I got the KBQ.

This year I'm thinking of doing two boneless butts the day before in the KBQ, wrapping and leaving whole, then finishing in the indoor oven. I'd do the goat in the PBC and the chicken in the KBQ on the day. Of course I make sweet 'n sour slaw, and even the baked beans are smoked (by another cook in the group). The vegetarians get to use the PK and Weber gasser (featuring grilled teriyaki pineapple!). All apps, sides, and deserts are brought as a pot luck. Beer and wine is BYO, and there is usually plenty of extra left as a "hostess gift."

Last year we had 85 people and we're expecting about the same or slightly more this year.

Anybody done tandoori chicken or similar in the KBQ?

Comment

carolts should be doable. Just Max out the temp.
      And you can use the KBQ as a warmer (cambro) while adding some smoke flavor as well.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        carolts they should fit perfectly!

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with Spinaker - the design of the KBQ to take standard steam pans was brilliant. Like Ernest said, smoke the chicken in high, then turn it down to keep everything cozy.
        KBQ does chicken great. I like the idea of a Tandoori style. I would go light on smoke. Wonder if we can make Naan?!?

• carolts
        carolts commented
        Editing a comment
        Somebody usually brings Naan along with pita and all sorts of other things. It's a multi-national group to say the least. I especially like the Sangria :-)

I'm starting to practice my competition action. The West Coast needs to see the KBQ in action!
      Attached Files

Comment

Holy Chicken!!! "No other words required"

Comment

Can you guys tell me how much noise the KBQ makes? Is it continueous or just when the fan is on? I'm really on the verge of buying one either after I sell my traeger and kamado or maybe even before I sell them!

Comment

• Dale Case
            Dale Case commented
            Editing a comment
            I run mine on the pad in front of my garage. Walk around behind garage and can't hear it. Walk away in front of it and after about 30' +/- can't hear it. When you're next to it it's just the sound of the fans which are pretty quiet to me.

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
            Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it's comparable to a pellet smoker or any stoker like a guru. It may be a little louder. I haven't had a neighbor complain when I fire it up at 3am. Probably worth the smell

Originally posted by Butchman View Post
          Can you guys tell me how much noise the KBQ makes? Is it continueous or just when the fan is on? I'm really on the verge of buying one either after I sell my traeger and kamado or maybe even before I sell them!
          There is always some noise,bBut its not at all loud. Even when the fans are running, you really don't notice it. From 25 ft away you really don't even notice it. The smoke however, is a totally different story. Trust me, your sense of smell will be to overwhelmed to worry about what it sounds like.

If you pair the KBQ with a Kamado.....your going to be sitting pretty. The KBQ is fantastic and a Kamado is the most versatile cooking system. They can do soooo much more than just smoke and grill.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys, I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger. After seeing all of the beautiful pictures and imagining the aromas and taste of perfect smoked meats I'm losing sleep at night. KBQ is in my near future!

Comment

• Dale Case
              Dale Case commented
              Editing a comment
              You and anyone you cook for will love it !! If you like chicken, smoke some using the S&G rub in the recipes section, it is incredible. Hang your bird, turn the temp dial to max and you will get perfect crispy skin. I run a temp probe deep into the breast and pull it around 160.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              YES!!!!!!!! Happy your going to Join us!!!

I love s&g rub and I will definitely do that! BTW, my order was placed early this a.m.
            I'm thinking of names for the new KBQ. Magnus Smokeus comes to mind, can't wait!

Comment

• badf00d
              badf00d commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome to the club. I've now had mine for almost a year, and I'm glad we're getting back to nice weather. I love the brisket and ribs I've been turning out on my KBQ.

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
              Editing a comment
              That's awesome. Love the name lol

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have to steal the name for mine from another post with my favorite new word. It must be named "The Barkalicious Pit". Cannot wait for the weekend to get assembled and bark something up!

Butchman I run mine by my living room window and I don't hear it inside. Might sound like it's loud first one or two cooks but it's really not bad at all.
            And welcome to the KBQ club!

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
              Editing a comment
              Butchman I second this. Ernest is right on the money. I thought it was a bit loud at first but that's because I was standing next to it and it was 3am. You'll see

• carolts
              carolts commented
              Editing a comment
              Not really any louder than the convection oven we have in the kitchen. Definitely very much quieter than either the range hood or a BBQ Dragon blower.

Congrats to Butchman !!!!!!!! Welcome to the KBQ family. A few things you may need........
            1) A heavy duty extension cord.
            2) A cheap folding table for wood, tools and cutting board
            3) Small charcoal chimney to light the starting charcoal.
            4) Commercial foil pans. To catch grease and make clean up easy!
            5) Long BBQ tongs. I love to use thee for moving logs around in the fire box.
            6) Make sure you have a good Heat-resistant glove.
            7) Plenty of smoking wood!!!!

Make sure we get pictures when you get everything assembled!

Comment

• Butchman
              Butchman commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Spinaker, I can check off all except the wood! Any suggestions as the the type of wood?

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Oak and Cherry are my favorites. But the KBQ turns any wood into sweet BBQ love. Butchman

I want to thank you guys for helping me pick out my birthday present to me. I'll be picking up my own KBQ from the FedEx guy tomorrow or Saturday. I'm going into this totally clueless as I haven't done any smoking since my little chief fell apart in the 80's. Any suggestions on my first smoke? I have an amazingly abundant supply of rabbits that I want to use.

Comment

• Butchman
              Butchman commented
              Editing a comment
              Congrats on your birthday present, we can learn together....

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Welcome! You would be the first KBQ owner, that I know of, to cook rabbits! I would love to see that done. Pork butts on the KBQ would be a great first smoke.

• carolts
              carolts commented
              Editing a comment
              If you've got a Costco nearby, go for the boneless pork butts. They can be a great confidence builder. Make sure you have a good instant read thermometer!

Thanks everyone, definitely looking forward to the experience and will post lots of pics.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              We are pumped for you! its always a blast being new owners rip the KBQ!

I was just making sure the KBQ never goes hungry! I spit up some more oak tonight. This stuff smell incredible. This stuff is still pretty wet, so it will have to be stacked and dried for 9 months or so. It feels good to get the axe moving again!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	KBQ:Oak.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	301290

Comment

Wow, what a great birthday gift from you to you, Hotot Hell . Have a Happy Birthday, and enjoy your new toy.

Kathryn

Comment

• carolts
                carolts commented
                Editing a comment
                Have you joined the KBQ club yet?

No, carolts . I'd love to have a KBC, but we live in a densely wooded area in the mountains, and all of my outdoor cooking is done on a deck. I'm a bit leery of having a stickburner on the deck, and my husband is petrified at the thought. He doesn't do any cooking (only eating), and he happily supports my smoker interests, but he sure doesn't want me burning the house down!

Kathryn

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaha, sounds like you need a patio.........🤔😂👊🏻
                Last edited by Spinaker; April 8, 2017, 06:09 AM.

• burke54
                burke54 commented
                Editing a comment
                get a sheet or two of the concrete wallboard they sell for bathrooms at the big box hardware store and put it down to protect your deck it is fireproof and reasonably durable

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                burke54 But don't sparks fly out in all directions, especially when the wind is blowing? I'd hate to start a fire on the mountain!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here