Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alright, let's talk wood. I've had a few cooks on my KBQ and I'm going through wood like crazy. I keep seeing folks say they put wood on every 30 minutes, maybe even every 40. If I don't put wood on every 15 the thing dies out. Do you guys fill the fire box when you replenish? How many pieces are you using? How much time do you REALLY get between loads? Maybe it's because I'm in the Chicago area. Yesterday was 40ish but windy. Maybe that's the reason?

Comment

Originally posted by alecksjaycubs View Post
      Alright, let's talk wood. I've had a few cooks on my KBQ and I'm going through wood like crazy. I keep seeing folks say they put wood on every 30 minutes, maybe even every 40. If I don't put wood on every 15 the thing dies out. Do you guys fill the fire box when you replenish? How many pieces are you using? How much time do you REALLY get between loads? Maybe it's because I'm in the Chicago area. Yesterday was 40ish but windy. Maybe that's the reason?
      Can you describe the fuel you're using, i.e., species, size, moisture content?

alecksjaycubs
      Last edited by Jerod Broussard; February 8, 2016, 10:05 AM. Reason: Adding an @username for notifcation

Comment

alecksjaycubs the colder it is outside the more fuel you'll use. Oak will burn longer in the cold weather.

Comment

KBQ all good questions. I'm working from a load of wood that was supposed to be oak and cherry but I've found birch mixed in so who knows. I'm not the best at knowing species by sight but I try to stick to just oak. I had some kiln dried hickory sitting around so I tried some of those but it burned up super fast. As for moisture content of the oak I don't know because I don't have a moisture meter, but it's just standard seasoned firewood... doesn't seem super dry or wet. I'm headed out this week to get some oak that I can pick out and make sure it's what I want. Maybe this will solve the majority of my problem.
          The size of the split is where I think I have my biggest issue. I started with just taking firewood splits and cutting them to lengths of about 6-8 inches. These never break down to coals, they just sit there. I then started to take my 6-8 inch chunks and split them into two pieces each which helped a ton as far as getting a coal bed, but if I only put a few of these pieces in they burn up pretty quickly. Should I be using more of these smaller pieces each time I load?

Comment

alecksjaycubs oak and hickory are both good, dense hardwoods that coal well. Stick with those as the main fuel, supplementing with less dense woods like cherry or pecan. Air seasoned is best, as kiln dried lacks the water content to help retard combustion.
            You are on the right track with splitting to help form the coal bed. Once you can do that easily, work up to larger logs to increase your tending interval. Remember that the larger the log, the earlier you need to get it in the firebox so it has time to break down.
            Smaller, drier fuel can be used, but you'll need to run the firebox level lower, and tend it more frequently, to avoid excessive fuel consumption. A firebox full of small stuff just becomes an incinerator. I usually begin a cook with the smallest stuff in the pile to get the coal bed established, and progressively choose larger logs from the pile to increase the tending interval. With brick sized, air seasoned logs and a decent coal bed to break them down, you should see 30+ minute tending intervals, even in cooler weather.

Comment

Mesquite wood roasted Lamb shanks.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160214_152034.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	362020
              Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Time to go medieval on some MEAT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160214_153100.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	362021
                Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 05:52 PM.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
                  Jerod Broussard commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I hear ya, the KBQ is commonly found on sunken viking ships and many abandoned medieval land fortresses.

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You know!!

After asking multiple questions on the free side, I decided to put my order in. What are you guys using for a cover. Anybody build a stand for theirs.

Comment

Smoke I bought a Weber gas grill cover for mine. I posted it here somewhere.
                  What kind of stand are you talking about?

Comment

Just curious if people are using as is or adding wheels or legs, tables etc.

Comment

It comes with wheels on the back legs and legs in front.

Comment

I'm with you, Smoke Dawg. I've been trying to come up with a small stand or something to get that thing off the ground a bit. Maybe if I just make longer legs for it...

Comment

Are you factoring in the firebox level with your stand plans?
                          I think it's the perfect height.

Comment

Yeah, the firebox limits how high you could go, but whatever rise I could get would be welcome.

Comment

I'd like to mount mine in an outdoor kitchen someday. Drop it in like any other gasser. I am on the taller side of things, so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here