Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Its A KBQ Saturday

Running low on good que. Decided to do up some beef short ribs, pork ribs, chicken and even try the Onion Bomb.

The smaller beef shortie came from Crowd Cow and the larger one a CAB from a local butcher (I took Spinaker and Meat Head 's advice and cut the big one in two)

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180720_074101.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	535528Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_075710.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	217.4 KB
ID:	535529

Huskee , I also took your advice and used a light coat of mayo on the ribs and chicken before putting on MMD rub.
    Everything dry brined last night.

Name:	20180720_181529.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	535530Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_075538.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	257.9 KB
ID:	535531Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_085525.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	221.4 KB
ID:	535532

I'm also smoking a tray of course Himalayan Salt - for this seasons Ghostly Garlic Salt.
    Not enough room for the chicken - that's going on after the shorties or pork ribs are done. The shorties seem to be in a second stall. First one was at 160F, now it's been hanging at 180F.

Name:	20180721_070926.jpg
Views:	351
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	535534

One of the nice things about a KBQ is that you can change wood fairly quickly - within 30 mins or so.

I had the beef short ribs smoking in Hickory and Oak for a few hours. When I put the pork ribs on, I switched over to Apple and Cherry.
    When I finally get the chicken going - likely all Cherry.

Attached Files

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I wish I could take credit but it wasn't my tip to use mayo on chicken. But thanks for thinking of me Nice cook! Look forward to the results.

The results of my Saturday smoke. Man those beef shorties were great! The Onion Bombs were a big hit and the chicken was moist and sweet (I used MMD on them).

For the chicken, since it was the last thing to go on, I did an hour at 225F then did the boost to 325F. Came out perfect! Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_173103.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	261.3 KB
ID:	536429Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_153013.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	536430Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_061212.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	235.7 KB
ID:	536428Click image for larger version

Name:	20180721_171659.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	536427

Comment

My wife is going to be having some of her and my friends over on Friday, so I'm planning on making ribs (her choice, which makes me very happy that she's all in on my smoking hobby), a small 7 lb prime brisket I found at Costco today, and a pork shoulder for some pulled pork too.

I have workers coming to our other house in the morning to get some last minute stuff done before we close on Monday, so hopefully the job doesn't take too long so I can get the meat on the smoker early and get everything done for dinner! Cleaned my KBQ thoroughly last week in preparation and I am very excited to get the wood firing and meat in the smoker. I found a local guy that delivers dry wood and cut to the KBQ specifications too but I don't think that will come in time, so I am hoping the cherry and oak I have on hand will be enough; might have to go to the local apple farm and grab some extra apple wood to tide me over just in case.

I'm hoping 8 hours will suffice for the brisket and pork shoulder since the brisket is small. If I'm lucky she will be at the house in the morning to toss some extra wood on so I can get the smoker running really early and won't run into any issues with the brisket and pork shoulder.

Comment

• smokinfatties
        smokinfatties commented
        Editing a comment
        8 hours should be Ok, just run it hotter around 275

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems a little tight, but the KBQ is faster than my other cookers because of the convection. Take smokinfatties advice. And of course, have fun!

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds great! I hope the cook goes well. I'm with the others, 8 hours is a close call, but hopefully it works out as planned.

Ended up moving the smoke to today; have a lot more time and got the meat in by 8:30 which gives me plenty more time to get it right. Holding steady at 205-225 for the past few hours and we’re rolling!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Enjoying using it?

• krish the fish
        krish the fish commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF I love it! Just put the ribs on and I am very glad I bought the KBQ last summer. It's more work than my friends' electric smokers but the product is 100% worth it. This is the first time I'm smoking this much, and had a little fun playing tetris trying to get 4 racks of ribs, a brisket and two boneless pork butts in there with the water pan at the bottom but I made it work!

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool!

I did mayo on my last beef ribs before the rub. I cant say if that made the difference but they were the best I have ever made.

Comment

The end results. Turned out fantastic!
        Attached Files

Comment

I had a friend that wanted pulled pork. Who am I to deny.

Did a KBQ session on Friday. Did the dry brine Thursday night and lots of MMD the next morning. It was a 9lb Butt and took around 11 hours at 245F. Did a mix of hickory and oak for the first few hours, then switched over to cherry and apple around 4 hours in. The last few hours was maple.

Was a big hit!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180727_132650.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.60 MB ID:	539949

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180727_180251.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.44 MB ID:	539948
          Attached Files

Comment

• lostclusters
            lostclusters commented
            Editing a comment
            How were your poppets set?

• JGrana
            JGrana commented
            Editing a comment
            For the first 5 hours, just the bottom. Once I switched over to fruit wood, I opened the top as well.

• JakeT
            JakeT commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great, good choice of brew too!

Sorry about the double photos of the pulled version. This website has the oddest photo tools....

Comment

Gonna hit the SRF Gold grade with the KBQ smoke this weekend! Looking forward to it!

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Briz!!!!!! EdF badf00d

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              HOLY Cow!
              SRF Wagyu at 20+ pounds is like for a VERY special occasion.
              Congrats bro, I hope it was "Killer"!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              By far the best brisket I have ever made in my life. No question. Not even for a second. Simply unbelievable. BBQ_Bill

Beef Ribs today for a few friends. Two pics of results. 225 for 8 hours with post oak and cherry. Had a friend hold a rib up to remember to get a shot of inside before all 15 pounds disappeared.

Attached Files
            Last edited by SteinerBBQ; August 5, 2018, 06:33 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Those wibs look awesome!

• JGrana
              JGrana commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow, looking juicy good!

Here is the finished product. Pork Belly Burnt Ends.

Name:	IMG_0836.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	543861

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Bill. The KBQ makes the best PBBEs! BBQ_Bill

• JGrana
              JGrana commented
              Editing a comment
              Mouth watering. I just got back from 3 days of camping in the NY Adirondacks. Hungry, tired - then see this picture...

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha, happy to help out! Glad you made it back safe! JGrana

Going for it this weekend. Packer in the fridge, going to trim it in a few hours and season tonight.

3AM I'm lighting the fire. Setting the KBQ up with the water pans like BBQ_Bill . Not planning to wrap until I pull for the cambro. Hope to have it resting by 3PM and eat by Six.

Run around 225... Wish me luck!

Comment

• lostclusters
              lostclusters commented
              Editing a comment
              Wishing you luck!

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              I too am hoping for the very best.
              Feel free to call me @ 602-448-2800 anytime 24/7

Originally posted by Smocalypse View Post
            Going for it this weekend. Packer in the fridge, going to trim it in a few hours and season tonight.

3AM I'm lighting the fire. Setting the KBQ up with the water pans like BBQ_Bill . Not planning to wrap until I pull for the cambro. Hope to have it resting by 3PM and eat by Six.

Run around 225... Wish me luck!
            I did this same cook, last weekend. I started at 3:30 am. mine was done at about 2:30 PM. ( I did some probe reconfiguration towards the end of the cook to find the coolest spot in the flat and point.) This was also a Wagyu brisket, so it cooked a bit slower.

I ran at about 225 average for the first part of the cook but I had to bump it up to about 250 F to get things going. I feel like it would have taken up too 16 hours to cook at 225 F. Then I bumped it up to about 275 F , once I wrapped the brisket tight, in foil.

Name:	IMG_503609EDD472-1.jpeg
Views:	323
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	546521

Comment

• Smocalypse
              Smocalypse commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting. I may adjust to 6am and just run 250. Would be nice to get a full nights sleep

ETA: And my trim weight will be nowhere near yours. Yes time shift. I love this place Thanks!

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              The cook looks like it was incredible bro.

Two hours in and the flat is at 117 already while the point is 72. Gaaa....

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              No worries.
              Middle rack, fat cap side down, point towards the back with the flat end of your packer positioned roughly one inch from the door with the larger gap in the back or manifold side of the cook box.
              It's all good.
              Last edited by BBQ_Bill; August 11, 2018, 08:32 AM. Reason: Re-worded for better understanding.

• Smocalypse
              Smocalypse commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks BBQ_Bill i lowered the temp a little and its beginning ot balance out now!

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't worry about point temps.
              My focus is on color 1st, then when the color is good, I wrap and place a probe in the middle of the flat next to where the point starts. I look for around 185°F and then begin to "Hawk" by probing for that area to change and suddenly get more tender. Then pull and rest.

First time I have seen one of these. Looked at the website and have to admit it is intriguing. Does it take a lot of tending during your cook?

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
              BBQ_Bill commented
              Editing a comment
              I babysit all three of my "babies" but the product they produce is incredible.
              To me, the ultimate convenience is a pellet grill.
              But... for ultimate flavor I go with my KBQs.
              Last edited by BBQ_Bill; August 11, 2018, 08:16 AM.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Both great points made by my good friends, EdF and BBQ_Bill

I will add that the KBQ does take some work and patience, However, it makes some on the best BBQ I have ever had. Like EdF said, I find it to be relaxing to feed the fire and smell the smoke. Your neighbors will too.

• hogdog6
              hogdog6 commented
              Editing a comment
              I will have to concur with my KBQ brothers EdF BBQ_Bill Spinaker, a little therapy tending the fire is good for my soul. Then there’s the payoff. The best BBQ flavor imaginable. And the color. Just look back through this post at the pics... Irresistible!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here