Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lostclusters I don't have a recipe but I'll tell you what I remember doing. I was in the kitchen pouring out this....

Click image for larger version

Name:	cameringo_20171208_212503.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	422515
    Then I saw a package of ground beef and bulk pork sausage. I thought well I got the KBQ already going. I'll make a meat loaf.
    So I mixed the beef and the pork sausage, diced onions salt and pepper 2 egg yolks.
    But something said to me, grow a set, make some balls.
    That's when I grabbed parmesan cheese, grated a whole bunch. I felt a little dry so I added a good amount of ricotta cheese and a few stakes of Vietnamese fish sauce and Sriracha sauce. A little Italian paisley.
    And that's how I ended up with meatballs.
    ​​​​​​Believe me, this is a typical day in the kitchen.

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank You! Would you say the beef to pork sausage was about 1:1?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      most likely. And get the bulk sausage that has chunks. Not Jimmy Dean stuff. I get mine from the butcher window.

• Dale Case
      Dale Case commented
      Editing a comment
      We love Hibiki Whiskey !! Lil burger joint on east side we go to has it, so we tried some and sooo glad we did. Supa smooth

Has anyone tried using mojobricks or any other compressed-wood product in a KBQ?

Comment

• lostclusters
      lostclusters commented
      Editing a comment
      This does not sound like a good idea. Unless you do not care what your output taste like.

ls1m I'm guessing that Mojobricks used in a live fire like in the KBQ would not last very long and would be a rather pricey fuel to use. I'm not sure they would burn down to an ember either so I don't know how they would affect maintaining a good bed of coals in the KBQ.

lostclusters - Mojobricks are made similarly to pellets and there are no binders or other "stuff" in them other than actual wood so the flavor should be fine. I'm just not sure how they hold up in a roaring fire.

Comment

Using compressed wood in KBQ is like eating tofurky.

Comment

• ls1m
      ls1m commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to look that up lol! Vegitarian "meat", right?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Vegans imitate turkey. Hahaha

The KBQ is always front and center of every special occasion.......

Capon..

Name:	IMG_0441.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	428969

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful!

You know KBQ had to open 2018 right.
    Turkey legs and a sous vide brisket

Name:	Turkey legs.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	433148Click image for larger version

Name:	Sous vide brisket.JPG
Views:	376
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	433149Click image for larger version

Name:	SV Brisket.JPG
Views:	359
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	433150

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Man o man that looks good!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Bill! Good to see you again. Happy New year! BBQ_Bill

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great Ernest! Happy New Year!

BBQ Bill Nothing special. I bought it from Trader Joe's. They do stock cut up brisket.
    Season with salt and dump in 135 degrees hot tub time machine for 36 hours.
    Let it chill completely. I had it in the refrigerator for a few days. Schedule didn't work out until today.
    Rubbed it with woshesheshire sauce (don't judge me). Hit it with fresh cracked black pepper.
    I got the KBQ fired up to 160-180. It was cold so that really worked great coz it kept humming.
    ​​​​Before I pulled it off, I maxed out the temp just to tighten up the bark. Not too long, I needed that internal temp to remain under 145.
    I like it steak like texture.
    ​

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
      BBQ_Bill commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang!
      You Rock!
      LUV the procedure and Wooster sauce is part of my current brisket spritz

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      Ernest - you even got a smoke ring after the SV? I am going to do your style. My freezer didn't work and I am going to SV tomorrow a HOF tomorrow morning and smoke it on the KBQ on Sunday. Did you dry brine before the spa treatment?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      JGrana I dry brine everything. Even as small an item as shrimp.

Thanks Spinaker!
    Same to you and yours my friend.

Comment

Good day fellow KBQers! I'm looking for some advice. I'd like to know, of those that have cooked pork butts/shoulders on the KBQ, who wraps and who does not wrap during the stall, and temperature setting used? I am cooking some butts Sunday (Adam Perry Lang style) and I am thinking with the awesome convection power of the KBQ and a temperature setting of 250 - 275, there might not be much stall, and therefore no wrap necessary. I've done butts once before. I used a temperature of about 225 and I did not allow enough time for the cook. This time I'm planning for 12 hour cook at a higher temperature, and faux Cambro at about 160 for about two hours at the end.

Input would be appreciated.

And I'll try to get your video too, Spinaker
      Last edited by lostclusters; January 6, 2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't help. The only thing I've done with butts so far on it was to SV, chill then smoke on the KBQ for a couple of hours at 245.

In principle, your plan sounds good though.

lostclusters I don't remember the last time that I wrapped a butt. Let it be free, naked all the way.

Comment

I do not usually wrap in the KBQ. There is no need. The meat will stall out, but it will be pretty brief. As the cook below only took about 7.5 hours. Generally, I run mine at about 250 F, as you can see from the graph below. I started hotter, at about 275, then I adjusted the temp to around 250 F. I actually think I wrapped at the very end of this cook, I must have been in a bit of a hurry. But usually, I do not wrap.

Name:	Fireboard Brisket Cook.png
Views:	376
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	437219

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Howdy Spinaker.
          What size were these two, and were they flats or points?
          Thanks.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I don't remember. But I would guess they were between 13 and 15 pounds. That is what I always shoot for when buying. They were smoked as whole packers. BBQ_Bill

Hey, long time listener, first time caller......

Wondering what probes fit through the openings in the corners? Have the " Amazing Ribs" Thermoworks BBQ package deal, but the alligator armor meat probe doesn't fit through the openings? Don't want to jimmy the holes if i don't have to, so wondering if there's a kit that the probe cables fit no alterations needed. Feed back appreciated!

Kris

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your years of support! We do appreciate it. I use mine just as my friend, Comfortably Numb. I use the probe clip and put it in the runners, inside the KBQ cook box.

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto!

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          I run my mavericks probes through the corner holes

Howdy klwarneke! Great to have you here!
        We LUV to help here at The Pit.
        This thread we are currently posting in, is extremely large, with much KBQ help as well as other help.
        -
        Going back many pages, I posted a photo to help another with this same problem.
        Please feel free to click HERE to check it out.
        -
        Smoke On!

Comment

Perfect, thanks Spinaker/hogdog6/Ernest and BBQ_Bill!

Comment

I couldn't postpone another smoke session. Got started at 3 pm.

Name:	beefy ribs.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	439634Click image for larger version

Name:	beef beef.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	439635

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here