Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a rib cook yesterday on a windy day. First time I've used the firebox lid while cooking. One thing I noticed after a couple of hours of cooking, I used a lot less wood. At first I used a pair of channel lock pliers for placing and removing the lid. I than remembered that I had a Camp Chef dutch oven lid lifter. It worked perfectly. From now on I plan on using the lid all the time. If nothing else, it prevents you from overloading the firebox and wasting wood. I'll say it again, the KBQ is a pure joy to cook on!

Comment

I just use the hook that came with it. The lid is especially necessary when you are using the dirty smoke vent. That way you don't pull in cool air from the surrounding.

Comment

Ernest You got a shout out on the BBQ central show during an interview with the Bill Karu. Apparently this thread has caused quite the spike in demand! Hoping to order one myself in the new year... we will see.

About mark of 35 minutes to go in the show....

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the heads up. cool interview. Guest And you wont be disappointed when you get yours.

Koy Schoppe get it sooner, you won't be disappointed.

Comment

• Koy Schoppe
          Koy Schoppe commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh, I am pretty sure I will not be disappointed, but gotta get through funding Christmas before I think about that.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          I know what you mean. LOL!!

Spinaker Nice legs!! Sorry I missed them last week.

I can honestly say I've never admired another man's legs & thighs & racks as much as in this thread.

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha haaaaaaaa!!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Husk!! I can honestly say that this is the first time someone (man or women) has commented on my legs and thighs. I know I look good....but c'mon man.....have some decency. Hahaha. Guest

I did a small beef loin the other night on the KBQ. Oh man was that awesome. The KBQ never disappoints. I slow cooked it in the smoke box. While the lion was cooking, I placed my hibachi grate on top of the firebox to warm up. The grate fits perfectly snug over the firebox, like it was made for it. After I got the loin up too temp, I put it on the grate and seared it for a minute or two each side. It came out great. I can't take pictures with phone anymore (camera portion destroyed beyond repair) but a friend did capture this one below. Not the best but you get the idea. I really wish you guys could see the flames shooting up around the meat and through the grate. (Video on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/_Hizz4rl...n-by=jrbowlsby )
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9257.jpeg
Views:	430
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	127871

Comment

How's that for a two punch knockout combo!!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            One of the finest cooks I've ever done. I had a blast doing it too. Ernest

Ernest Spinaker oldsteve Max Good A reader on the main site asks how many pounds of wood it uses on a "typical" cook. I realize a typical cook is quite varied depending whether you're cooking ribs in 3-5 hrs or a brisket in 10-12...and I also realize most of us don't weigh our logs...but could you give me an idea of how many small logs to start it up and then how often you load a new log (every 30 mins?) so we can figure out how many logs per hour and then per cook?

If anyone feels like measuring or even weighing a typical KBQ-sized log, that would be first class service for an interested reader!

Thank you gentlemen.
          Last edited by Huskee; December 20, 2015, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            I start with 3 almost brick size logs, get the fire going then one every 45 minutes even using oak or hickory. One every thirty minutes using other fast burning woods.

Thanks Ernest, so brick sized being what, 6-8" long splits (looks like that from the pics)? Also, may I share your pics from this post with the reader?

Comment

Huskee that's right, 6-8" long. Go ahead and share the pictures

Comment

Huskee I would say that you would go through maybe a one to two pound log every 30 to 45 mins. Like Ernest, I start with three good sized logs then add one every 30 to 45 mins. If I can fit another log in, I usually put one in. I would say the KBQ is rather efficient but she ain't going green anytime soon. Home Depot sells bags of small Hickory, mesquite, oak etc logs... I would say the 25 lb bags they sell there, would last a longer cook. Maybe not a 12 to 14 hours cook, but somewhere in between the 7 to 9 hr range I would guess.

Comment

Next cook I'll try to remember to weigh and count the amount of wood I've used. Since getting the KBQ, I've done a cooking log on every cook. Did a 10 hour 20 minute pork butt cook a couple of days ago. Wood use didn't seem excessive. Most of the wood I've been using is in the 7" to 9" range and was almond. As soon as the rain lets up around here, I'm going to get a load of valley oak. I know the oak will burn longer than the almond, but no complaints so far.

Comment

Thanks guys! Spinaker Ernest oldsteve

Comment

Yesterday the weather finally cooperated enough so I could go and get a pickup load of oak for the KBQ. Compared to the almond I previously bought, the oak was all over the place size wise. I knew I would be using the chain saw a lot more than the Alligator loppers. Fortunately I had just bought the Rockwell Jawhorse, in case I ran into this very problem. Man, did it work great! I have a couple of homemade sawbucks, but when you're trying to cut wood 9" to 10" long it can be a real pain using them. With the Jawhorse you can clamp the wood at any angle and cut it like slicing a big piece of salami. I had one gnarly piece that had three branches in it. Normally I wouldn't even attempt to cut it. No problemo! First time I've never ended up with a small pile of the "untouchables" when I was done. I only had 4 pieces that I had to use my electric logsplitter on. I wouldn't say this was fun, but it was relatively painless compared to the usual. Now... rain, rain, go away... so I can fire up the KBQ!
                    Last edited by oldsteve; December 25, 2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

KBQ Cherry wood roasted capon. KBQ seared sous vide Prime Rib.
                      When everything was done, I dropped the KBQ temp to 140, held the capon and the rib roast warm while I freshened up.

Name:	IMG_20151225_132513.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	360822

Name:	IMG_20151225_150418.jpg
Views:	416
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	360823

Name:	IMG_20151225_171257.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	360824
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Ernest; August 11, 2017, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here