Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OmegaDog12 - As tbob4 asked - Are you going to be cooking/serving on site at about the same time or are you just cooking and then portioning and delivering/pickup at a later time?

If the latter then that gives you a lot more flexibility, especially if you can pull/vac seal/store the meat beforehand.

Personally, I have never prepared that many butts at one time. I'll defer to the comments from those that have. If nobody here chimes in I suggest that you go over to the BBQ Brethren forum - lots of folks there have done this sort of cook and can help with calculating how many butts you should likely buy.

As far as the KBQ I have never maxed mine out. I've never cooked more than two butts at a time. I have done a bunch of ribs (8 - 2 per shelf).

Assuming you have just the four standard shelves you can probably fit three 8 pound-ish butts per shelf without any difficulty. You probably wouldn't have to rotate them but it is easy to slide a shelf out after a few hours to see if perhaps any of the butts in the back are looking any "crispier". Sometimes when I do baby backs I do find that on some of the racks the back ends are getting a bit more heat and I will just pull out the whole shelf and rotate it and slide it back in.

You'd also want to pay attention to how the bottom shelf is cooking (it will be hotter down there) and you may need to move the bottom shelf to the top, the top shelf to the bottom, etc.

With three butts per shelve you will want some extra hands available to help work with the shelves if you did want/need to rotate them or swap their placement vertically. The stock KBQ shelves are a bit flimsy feeling when they are partially slid out form the cook box and you have a big hunk of meat like a butt hanging out.

I've read widely varying opinions on just how much finished product to really expect from each pound of uncooked butt so you'll want to err on the side of cooking too many butts than not enough.

While you could probably fit 12 butts in the KBQ at a time I have no idea how much that would impact the airflow. The convection fan that is always running helps keep the air moving but fully loaded it might be hindered to the point where cooking will take much longer while burning a lot more fuel.

​​​​​​​Hopefully Ernest may chime in and offer his insights.

Comment

OmegaDog12 if you cut your butts down to smaller hunks you should be able to get 6 to 8 in the KBQ.
      That should cut down on cook time as well. I wouldn't wrap, unless you're really short on time.
      cook them a day in advance and vacuum seal?

Comment

Wow! Ordered on Friday around 4:30 Central Time, invoice came that evening and paid Sat morn. Shipped this morning. Looks like Wednesday for delivery. Completely unexpected! Gonna ease into it with some ribs on Thursday... Very excited!

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, my order got turned around in less than a week too. You're going to love this thing!

Yeah, my order got turned around in less than a week too. You're going to love this thing!

Try those ribs plain-ish, with the clean smoke poppet, some pepper, salt and a rub you trust. That'll give you a baseline.

Sort of like these "baby backs" from last weekend. Four hours and 15 minutes around 225 - 230.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20170219_184649.jpg Views:	2 Size:	6.10 MB ID:	281907

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Head Counrty is the Sh1&!! Smocalypse

• JCBBQ
          JCBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          EdF, I see you're into Paella. That's on my bucket list. You got any great sites that a novice should check out. Thanks in advance!

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Mostly just a book or two. Google is our friend.

That pan is the most versatile in our complement. Drip pan for kamado - check. Paella - check. Really easy to clean - check. Etc.

Awesome!!! That is great man!! Welcome to the club, if you haven't been already. Your are going to love the KBQ. Make sure you click "follow" on this thread. Its much easier to jump into conversation, here. This is one of, if not the best Threads in The Pit. It is certainly one of the most detailed and closely followed, cooker based, threads in the Pit! Pumped your going to be joining us. Make sure you post some pictures of that sucker once you get it unboxed.

Comment

Anybody that likes a bit of heat (nothing ridiculous, trust me) should try some Habanero Death Dust from Oakridge BBQ. Made another batch of KBQ backribs in the unseasonably warm weather we had. Wow, those ribs go fast with that rub. I have to set some aside or I won't get any.

Comment

• badf00d
            badf00d commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll check those out. Although the Habanero Death Dust really isn't as hot as it sounds like it would be. Really good stuff. They have Ghost and Scorpion rubs that I suspect are pretty mean.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            Death dust. I'll just go by the name and stay alive. HAHAHA

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm needing to check these out myself!

They are amazing rubs. IMHO, Oak Ridge BBQ makes the best stuff on the market.

Their ingredients are super fresh and the rubs are complex and bold. I love all of their rubs. Everything from Jerk chicken, The Dominator rib rub, Black ops and Santa Maria; all are my staples. But The Habanero Death Dust is very goo too. Very nice heat but not too much for most people. The Crucible rub (ghost pepper) is another thing. That rub is hot as hell. And damn good too!!! I have the Scorpion rub on order, they just sold out! I cant wait to try that one.

Don't skip anything Oakridge. I can't say enough about them. Best rubs that I have come across. Hands down. Black Ops is my go to for Briskets.
          EdF badf00d @Ernest
          I mean look at that color from the Crucible rub!!!! Killer!! Absolutely killer!! Don't miss out boys. GIT CHA SOME!!!!!!
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0294.JPG Views:	1 Size:	6.13 MB ID:	282051

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm looking at that color, and I'm thinking: rubs!

• hogdog6
            hogdog6 commented
            Editing a comment
            Those have got to be the best looking ribs I've seen on this or any other site. WOW. Crucible would be too hot for my taste though. We're those cooked on your KBQ?

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            hogdog6 To tell you the truth.....I.do not remember. But more than likely, Yes!!! Thanks for the props. But honestly, it's the rub. Okay, okay I'm sure the KBQ had a lot to do with it. 🔥🤘🔥
            Last edited by Spinaker; March 1, 2017, 10:26 PM.

My KBQ arrived today a week (maybe less) after submitting my order. I also got a call from Mr. Karubecue himself before it shipped to confirm my order and make sure I knew what I was getting into which I appreciated. I have the unit partially unpacked in my dining room right now. Everybody seems to comment on how well the unit is packaged, and mine was no exception. Looking forward to smoking some chicken this weekend!

Comment

• JoeDSM
            JoeDSM commented
            Editing a comment
            It was weird to get the call and talk directly to the man who invented the thing you have been fixated on for over a year. He mentioned that a couple people changed there minds and cancelled their orders when he let them know for instance that a KBQ was probably not a good idea on a houseboat

• carolts
            carolts commented
            Editing a comment
            I just has a vision of a KBQ mounted to the rail of my sailboat...

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahaha that would be epic carolts !!!!!!!!

JoeDSM Where the pics of the baby?? Let see it man!!! How can you wait for the weekend? Hahaha

Comment

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahahaha - you sound like me when EdF got his. I couldn't wait for his back to get better because you KBQ folks keep posting awesome photos!

Spinaker If I could I would leave the office now and get smoking!

My first task will be to find some decent fuel. I found a tree farm that delivers and stacks wood for a great price, but they don't have anything seasoned. I have read several perspectives on bbq wood moisture level but the KBQ is unique and I am not sure what is preferable.

I am going to try and get my hands on some hickory or fruit wood that has <20% moisture. In the short term I may go with a combination of large chunk hardwood (the kind you would find at the grocery store for smoking, they're like baseball or softball sized) and generic firewood. That is unless I can find a guy on craigslist to deliver.

Any advice on the kinds of wood I should be targeting or moisture levels would be appreciated!

Comment

• JoeDSM
            JoeDSM commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF I just took a peek, great information but I wasn't able to find a definitive recommendation on moisture level

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Somewhere on the site or in the manual he says a few months of air drying, but not kiln dried because you want some moisture going into the cookbox.

• Dale Case
            Dale Case commented
            Editing a comment
            If it'll burn keep throwin' it in, if it won't pull it out !! I wouldn't worry too much about moisture contents, you just don't want really green wood that won't burn. Get a good hot fire going and keep her fed.

That list is a good place to look.

I like to use Oak and Cherry as my favorites. Especially when you use both of them at once. But I have burned Ash, Apple and Maple as well. Anything between 20% and 10% is ideal, IMHO. I found that if its below 10%, then it burns way to fast in the firebox and some of the flavor is diminished. If its to wet than you can get a lot of creosote build up on the fans and underside of the control box.

Try to shoot fro 250 F average for your first cook. I think this is a good place to start. But remember that the KBQ runs like a convection oven. So your cook times can be reduced by 20%, easily.

Comment

JoeDSM in the owners manual it says this regarding moisture content:

FUEL

The small size of the Firebox preserves the geometry of the fire to ensure high temperatures are reached for good combustion. It supplies sufficient power to reach >300°F with an ambient temperature of 0°F.
            • Your pit is designed to run on real wood logs. Lump charcoal is great for starting and recovering your coal base when you get distracted and forget about your fire. Never use briquettes - they produce a huge amount of ash that will rapidly fill the bottom chamber of your Firebox.
            • Mainstay species are hickory, oak, and mesquite, all of which have excellent coaling quality. Typical consumption is 2-4 lbs per hour. Pecan does not coal well and should be avoided in this pit.
            • Size: 6-10" long x 2-5" in diameter, or Red Bull can to common brick in size, which can usually be achieved by cross-cutting common (18-20") firewood into halves and splitting as necessary. I suggest a cheap electric chainsaw and mid-weight axe for these tasks - a Black and Decker Alligator Lopper doesn’t require a sawbuck.
            • Moisture content: cut, split and air dried for a couple of months is dry enough. Not freshly-cut; not kiln-dried.

One problem with using the size chunks you get in the bags of smoking wood is that you will need to refuel the firebox a lot more often. Definitely want to source your main fuel in "mini-splits" size/length.

Comment

• JoeDSM
              JoeDSM commented
              Editing a comment
              Histrix Who reads manuals I guess I was looking for a definitive percentage range, but like anything I will just have to try it for myself and see how it goes.

Kiln dired is typically below 10% and is used mostly for wood working and the like. It is incinerated in the KBQ. Not the best option.

In my experience, I found that 6-9 months of split-curing is enough for the KBQ. Otherwise, you run into creosote build up, as I mentioned before. JoeDSM

Comment

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, and your creosote buildup remediation was well-documented earlier in the thread. Definitely something to avoid!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              YEs!! It does clean up like new. Thanks to the wonders of 304 Stainless, But Defiantly something you want to avoid, if you can. EdF

Well mine arrived Wednesday. Between the two boxes for this and 100# of wood, Mr FedEx man and his bad back and broken dolly were none to happy with me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3685.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	284028

As I understand, it will never look this good again. Very impressed with the levels of packaging and the over all fit n finish. Very easy to see this is all function with little form.

Anyway it was way to cold and windy since Wednesday, but today will be 74 and breezy. About 1.5 hours away from starting some ribs and shorties. Updates to follow.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              YES!!!!! Looks great next to that 70's Benz. Two works of art!! Looking forward to the pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170304_163821.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	348.3 KB
ID:	284215 Off we go
            Attached Files
            Last edited by JoeDSM; March 4, 2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Gorgeous man! Just Gorgeous!!!!!! Frame that picture

• tbob4
              tbob4 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is such an awesome photo!

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              I was just looking at this again. This is such a great picture.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here