Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Closing 2016

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161231_115134.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	362105

Name:	IMG_20161231_123153.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	362106

Name:	IMG_20161231_120038.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	362107

Name:	IMG_20161231_175832-picsay.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	362108
    Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 07:18 PM.

Comment

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a fantastic photo, Ernest!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice way to send it out. I've got the PBC going right now. Ribs as well.

So it was New Years Eve, 2 o clock and still no fedex. I needed the cook the short ribs and baby backs I had for that night, and it was looking like my KBQ was sitting in their warehouse based on their tracking site. I didn't know what to do, so I fired up the WSM and got everything started. About an hour later my KBQ showed up. As soon as I got the casters on, I lit a chimney. According to my thermometer the short ribs had gotten up to 140 when I transferred them and the baby backs to the KBQ. As I learned temp control on the KBQ, the short ribs dropped to 130 before they started to raise back up. This could be because the KBQ was running cold, but they were sitting over the water tank in the WSM so I think a lot of the temp change was the surface drying. It's hard to get a good read from this first cook because I started over coals. The baby backs were a little overdone (haven't cooked anything but spares in years), but the flavor was great. Short ribs weren't my best effort, but they were in the discussion. Overall very pleased. Especially for a first run in heavy wind with all the other variables involved. I kept the fire box full at all times and in retrospect I think I may have wasted fuel on doing so. Anyway, pics:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rlasky; January 2, 2017, 06:28 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      That is gorgeous! I'm sorry I missed this post.

Snake River Farms Black Brisket on the KBQ- Did it with some Harry Soo SYD All Purpose and Added BBBR. No Injection this time and butcher paper was used over foil. Definitely my preferred method now I think, perfect bark and very moist!

Also did some spares trying Meat Church "The Gospel" rub. Color was excellent, and flavor was as good as any other all purpose rub.

I was on the butcher block to slice so no good pics of the finished product. Lots of happy people though!

Name:	IMG_7607.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	264261Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7598.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	234.8 KB
ID:	264262Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7626.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	264263Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7631.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	264264Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7609.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	256.4 KB
ID:	264265Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7610.JPG
Views:	389
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	264266Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7635.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	264267

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Rlasky i feel ya buddy! Some people swear to not wrap and keep the bark super crunchy but i definitely prefer wrapping. I do love crunchy bark so the butcher paper is a great compromise!

• Dale Case
      Dale Case commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful !!!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know how I missed these photos - fantastic!!

Pork butt sauna.

Name:	IMG_0179.JPG
Views:	393
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	264304

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome! whatever the temp it looks great!

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      Umm, tasty looking bark. Going to make some fine pulled mess! I mean that in a nice way!

• Dale Case
      Dale Case commented
      Editing a comment
      Mm mm mmmmmmmm Looks great !!

carolts Lookin' Great!!!

You go, Lady!!! :-)))

Comment

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      :-)

I need to get the KBQ fired up again. I miss the aroma, the work, the flavor. I want to go out and light every cooker I own right now!! Sing the Song boys!!!!!!!

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      You won't miss the cleaning! LOL

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      No No I don't.

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      Last time I had more than two cookers going, the fire department paid me a visit...but it sure was fun.

I'm looking to fire up the KBQ for some racks of beef short ribs. My regular Costco has started stocking them.

Comment

• smokinfatties
      smokinfatties commented
      Editing a comment
      lucky!!! i have to drive an hour to find a costco that has them or pay $10/lb at the local butcher!

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I was driving 45 minutes one way to another Costco.

Finished product. Best pulled pork I've ever made. Only took 5 1/2 hours, then foiled on counter for 1/2 hour. Internal temp between 205 and 210. Need to re-run with probes again to see what's what, but it seemed both fans were running regardless of where the dial was. I'll put in a call to Bill K. this week.

Name:	IMG_0183.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	264519Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0188.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	261.0 KB
ID:	264520

Comment

• carolts
      carolts commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, the shredded pic is just one of the butts...the other is still whole and will be heated and pulled for tomorrow's dinner. BBQ on a "school night" is a luxury for sure!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      carolts Fantastic lookin' cook!!! You Rock, Lady!!! :-))) #Yummylicious!!!

I have officially joined the club - finally!

Comment

• JGrana
      JGrana commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that I think of it, the last 2 times I did ribs, I threw some chicken thighs on about 1/2 way through the smoke. Finished the thighs on a grate over the firebox. Soooo gooood

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice idea. Thanks!

• tbob4
      tbob4 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm looking forward to seeing your first cook. The nice thing is I remember someone writing that the unit does not need to be seasoned so have the food ready to go!

Originally posted by EdF View Post
    I have officially joined the club - finally!
    YES!!!!!!!! WELCOME TO THE FAMILY!!!! When does it arrive?
    Last edited by Spinaker; January 23, 2017, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      Thursday!

Originally posted by edf View Post
    i have officially joined the club - finally!
    welcome to the club!!

Comment

Wow! EdF , nicely done!!!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Took me six months to conclude "I'm going to get it regardless, so why wait"?

• JCBBQ
        JCBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF, I think I only noticed your signature recently so I was VERY impressed that you took the plunge. I want to get an offset but I gotta let that idea percolate longer.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        JCBBQ not sure what makes it surprising? I went through 4/5 tin can smokers in the 80's / 90's, got the BGE in 02, which handled things fine before a kitchen remodel and needed something faster in 14 (TEC Cherokee). The KBQ appealed immediately, but I've bought too much stuff just to experience it.

One more day!!! Can you stand it? I ended up just having them drop ship it to a FED EX location, then I went and picked it up.

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, I still need to set up the wood rack, organize things around the yard a bit, and get wood. So, it'll be Sat or Sun before I cook something, all things permitting. Besides, the waiting makes the using sweeter!

It did land today, but I couldn't fully unpack it because I screwed my back up at 3:30am. That seems to be getting better, so a weekend cook may still happen.

I am extremely impressed by Bill's workmanship. This is a thing of beauty.

Pics of the partially unpacked thing:

Name:	20170126_184809.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	267976Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_180647.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	267979Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_182218.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	267977Click image for larger version

Name:	20170126_184823.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	267978
      Attached Files

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        To me, that label is just another sign that Bill wants happy customers! ;-)

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        LET GO!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to see you in action. your going to love this man!! Welcome to the Pit.

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        Craigar When one orders a KBQ Bill also emails the buyer reminding them that it uses wood and needs to be fed every 30 minutes or so and that it has an open firebox with flames and sparks and gets very hot and if one is not prepared for that then perhaps they should buy a different grill.

Spinaker, JGrana, slvance and others on the KBQ forum
      I'm going to do smoked chicken wings just for me. Need advice on temperature setting. Going to do the S&G rub (it was incredible on smoked chicken thighs) and cherry wood. Also your thoughts on baking powder vs searing to crisp the skin? Do I put the baking powder on first, then the rub or mix the baking powder in the rub? What are the proportions that you use? As always, thanks for the advice

The OmegaDog

Comment

• Dale Case
        Dale Case commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, I always run top poppet full open, bottom 1/2 open. That's just my personal smoke flavor setting..

• JGrana
        JGrana commented
        Editing a comment
        Usually I cook some chicken when doing ribs. The one time I did chicken only - it was quick. Full heat, rubbed the chicken with MMD and took around 25 mins. I did do a quick sear - fire was nice and low and like the charcoal taste. Really didn't need it

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Max out the temp knob
        I see no benefits of using baking powder. I'd suggest to season and leave the wings on a rack naked in the refrigerator overnight (or even a few hours), if you have the time.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here