Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ernest how long would you estimate the cook and what temp (dial) do you cook on?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I know you asked Ernest. But i run mine with 188 F turned to about Ten O'clock on the dial. I can usually do ribs in about 3 to 4 hours depending on the cut. (Baby backs or St. Louis)

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      slvance Spinaker my 188 is at 1 o'clock. That gives me 215-230 degrees range when the sun is out. When I start at dawn, 232 is dead center then I will adjust when the sun is out.
      I haven't gone over 4 hours with ribs. Cooks even faster when ambient temperature is low.

Spinaker Ernest That is just weird... spin's dial seems to be different from ours....if I put my 188 at 10 I would be way low. You sure you don't mean 2? Looks I have had better results with ribs cooking them at higher heat in the past...around 275.... I tend to get a better bark. I'll just have to experiment with it. Thanks for the info - it all helps.

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I think he meant 2 pm as well. LOL
      IF your goal is bark, then yes high temp will do since it cooks much faster at 225.
      My goal is just deliciousness. Not really into bark.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Shit, yeah sorry. I mean 2 o'clock. Try to go for an average of 250 F. Thats what I shoot for.

OmegaDog12 for chicken I just Max out the knob, whole bird is perfectly cooked in 45 - 60 minutes.
    Ribs set at 225 (knob turned 188 at 2 o'clock position) no more than 4 hours. Start checking at 3:30 mark.
    Brisket 8 to 10 hours.
    Keep in mind that ambient temperatures will create some variables.
    There's no need to preheat the cook box. I start cooking when I have a decent hot bed of coals.

Comment

Welcome to the Brotherhood! We are growing fun numbers! You are going to love what comes out of that KBQ!!

OmegaDog12 As my KBQ brother mentioned, Ambient temp will effect how much you feed the fire box. If its cold, she's gonna gobble up more wood. This is an important variable, however the hidden variable is, the induction fan. When its cold outside, the fan is trying to keep the box warm. It does this with no problem, even in Sub-Zero weather. However, given that the fan is running more, this turns the KBQ into a smoking convention oven. Stuff will cook fast!! I've done whole packers in 6 hours. But this was when it was about 10 F outside. I actually find that i get better bark and smoke flavor in the cold. Not sure if this is just all in my head or not though.

Once again, Welcome to the KBQ family. We look forward to seeing your KBQ in action!!

Comment

What are your suggestions on where to set the smoke valves-dirty vs clean vs mixed. I'll be using my favorite combo, pecan and cherry
        Also, what happened to "low and slow" chicken over 3-4 hrs? Is that not a good idea on the KBQ?

Comment

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          be careful with pecan as others have mentioned. your best bets are hickory, oak, mesquite etc, Cherry is great! I agree with the skin comment on low and slow, I always try to cook my chicken above 275.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Hot and fast man. Hot and fast. With the KBQ your getting a convection effect, with the induction fan. It does magic to the surface of the bird. Trust us on this one.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I usually only have my bottom damper open. Because I don't usually have the top on the fire box. I like to grill stuff, do cast iron cooks etc. on top of the firebox through out the cooks.

Sorry for so many questions, but a previous post suggested starting with cold food instead of the usual warming to room temperature before putting food on the smoker. What are you thoughts on this?

Comment

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          I've never subscribed to "bringing meat to room temp" philosophy.
          It's just silly. Plus it would take a whole day to bring a brisket to room temperature.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Don't worry about the questions. We're all here to BS about Que.

Like Ernest said. I don't bring stuff to room temp before I cook. I actually put it in my deep freeze for about an hour before I cook it. Cold meat sucks up smoke better than room temp. '

OmegaDog12 I've tried pecan and it different doesn't coal well, so I dropped it. More ash than hot coals
        Low and slow chicken is a matter of choice. I don't see any benefit over hot and fast. Plus Low and slow chicken skin is just not appealing.
        As for valves, the clean one (bottom) is your primary. It should always be open. Your top (dirty smoke) is your option for heavier smoke flavor.

Comment

• slvance
          slvance commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree - low and slow chicken often just results in a black chicken if you use much smoke... skin is terrible...

Originally posted by OmegaDog12 View Post
        What are your suggestions on where to set the smoke valves-dirty vs clean vs mixed. I'll be using my favorite combo, pecan and cherry
        Also, what happened to "low and slow" chicken over 3-4 hrs? Is that not a good idea on the KBQ?
        Be sure to take a look at this page on the KBQ site - http://www.kbq.us/wood-selection/

Pecan doesn't coal as well as some other woods so I wouldn't use that as your primary fuel.

I do add the occasional baseball sized chunks of pecan (oak is my main fuel) to the firebox and it doesn't cause any real problems.

Comment

OmegaDog12 I am in the same boat as Ernest. The theory i follow is that the colder the meat, the longer it takes to get up to temp and therefore the more time it has to pull smoke flavor in.

not sure what the theory is behind bringing it up to room temperature, but if it's to reduce cooking times then there is no need when cooking on the KBQ. It cooks faster than anything I have ever cooked on! Also you want to be careful of the 40/140 rule for food temp and safety issues.

Comment

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            That rule doesn't always apply. When sous vide-ing it is quite possible to safely cook meat for a day or two or three at 131°F since pasteurization occurs.

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            That rule doesn't always apply, of course not in the sous vide context, but if you're leaving your meat out to get to room temp it most definitely applies. Keep Below 40 or above 140. 4 hour window in this range or else unwanted pathogens start growing

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree on the sous vide comment

When I'm playful and really want that deep smoke ring for the wow factor, I actually put the meat in the freezer while I prep the KBQ. When it's ready, get the meat from the freezer straight into the cookbox. There's smoke ring just comes out comical.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            YUUUUP!!! I do this all the time. Deep freeze is right in the Garage too!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            smokinfatties You tried this ^^^^^ Yet?

Spinaker LOL no i havent but I definitely am! I just bought a chest freezer from costco and filled it with 70lbs of Greater Omaha CAB short ribs. Can't wait to chill them up a bit before smoking them!

Comment

• Craigar
            Craigar commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting...since I live in the Omaha metro area, I might have to ask my butcher about this Omaha beef. I'm probably buying it and don't even know it. Ha!

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            Check them out! They are a packer but you may recognize some of the producers. http://www.greateromaha.com/producers/

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0276.JPG
Views:	265
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	230256Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0278.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	230257Spinaker, Ernest, slvance and all others: I just finished my first cook on my KBQ smoker. There was nothing but oohs,ahhhs, best chicken and barbecue I've ever had, and when is the next barbecue so I can be there?!! The ribs were exceptionally tender and smokey-flavorful. The chicken was out of this world. @Spinnaker, I will ONLY do your method of high and fast chicken from now on. I don't think I've ever had better chicken than that. Thanks to all. A great site and great people who don't make you feel stupid/PITA for asking a lot of questions. Next up, Close to Katz's Pastrami.
          OmegaDog12
          Attached Files
          Last edited by OmegaDog12; October 14, 2016, 01:58 PM. Reason: Added pics

Comment

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            You all are killing me trying to wait until next year!

You're very welcome OmegaDog12 !

Comment

Nicely done OmegaDog12! Cant wait to see your pastrami. I have been meaning to make it!

Comment

I will be doing my first dino bones this weekend. Dry brined them last night. Can't wait!

Comment

• Craigar
                Craigar commented
                Editing a comment
                I hope you like beef flavored butter.

• smokinfatties
                smokinfatties commented
                Editing a comment
                You are in for a treat my friend! My favorite on the KBQ

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here