Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost Turkey time.... anybody done one on the KBQ? Anything special we need to know?

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Just cook it like you cook chicken.

slvance I've done turkey and capon. Max the knob, keep an eye coz it does cook mighty fast.

Comment

Ernest,@slvance,@spinnaker,
      First, thanks for all the help thus far. The ribs and chicken were FANTASTIC. Made Meathead's Close to Katz's Pastrami and likewise, it was probably one of the best things I have ever eaten. Now ready to try beef ribs. Any advice on wood (I have hickory, cherry, white oak, pecan and pear), cook temps, times, final meat temps would be greatly appreciated. Also, beef back ribs or short ribs? dry brine vs wet brine? Rub suggestions? Again, thanks for all the great advice!!
      The OmegaDog

Comment

Originally posted by OmegaDog12 View Post
        Ernest,@slvance,@spinnaker,
        First, thanks for all the help thus far. The ribs and chicken were FANTASTIC. Made Meathead's Close to Katz's Pastrami and likewise, it was probably one of the best things I have ever eaten. Now ready to try beef ribs. Any advice on wood (I have hickory, cherry, white oak, pecan and pear), cook temps, times, final meat temps would be greatly appreciated. Also, beef back ribs or short ribs? dry brine vs wet brine? Rub suggestions? Again, thanks for all the great advice!!
        The OmegaDog
        I would trim them as much as possible. Try to get as much of the surface fat as you can off of them. (Maybe leave a thin strip of fat on the top if you must.)

AS for the wood. I like Oak for beef but with the KBQ you can pretty much use whatever you want and you'll get fantastic results. But Oak is kinda my go to when it come to beef cooks.

They should take about 4 to 5 hours to cook. Remember its all about the thickness of the meat. But....you also have the bone in there to transmit heat to the interior of the meat, so start to monitor the meat at about the 1 1/2 hr mark. Things can really cook fast in the KBQ.

Take the ribs off at about 202 F or 195 F for Prime. And also remember to keep the thermo prob away from the bones as much as you can, to avoid getting an inaccurate reading from the munch warmer bone.

Try to look for "Beef Plate Ribs" Those will be your longer beefier ribs. Where Short ribs are....well....short. Both will work but Beef Plate ribs are my go too.

Let us know how it goes and post some pictures!!

Comment

OmegaDog12 You're welcome!
          For beef ribs, or any traditional low and slow, I stick with 225 degrees.
          I do a mixture of oak and mesquite. As for IT, I go by probe tender. Some ribs are so well marbled that they're ready at 180, leaner cuts may need up to 202. 4 to 5 hours of cook time.

Comment

Sunday Smoking on the KBQ

I fired up the KBQ this past Sunday and smoked some things for my kids and their wives visiting next week. I had stopped at a local butcher last week and saw some nice 4 lb. pork belly's on sale. Perfect, bacon for the morning after Thanksgiving. Of course, I couldn't just smoke bacon - so when out and got some ribs and chicken.

I followed Meathead Maple Bacon recipe - let the pork cure for 9 days. On Friday, did the dry brine on the ribs and chicken thighs. A generous portion of MMD on the ribs and a little on the chicken and smoked away!

I started the ribs, ~225F first with hickory. After 2 hours, I switched over to maple, cherry and apple wood for the bacon and chicken. The ribs were done in 3 1/2 hours (as Spinaker says, the KBQ cooks quick!!!). Bacon came out at 165, with what appeared to be a stall at 140. Chicken was done shortly after.

While I was tending the KBQ, I saw a few pumpkins left over from Halloween. We normally break em up and toss into the woods for the deer to eat. Before I did that, I thought - hey, smoked pumpkins seeds! Harvested a bunch of seeds, rinsed well. Brined them for 45 mins., then drained and tossed with some salt, MMD and a spray of Canola oil. Put on a cookie sheet and put in the smoker for around an hour - turning them a few times. Finished them up in our oven at 250F for another 30 mins to crisp up (and the KBQ was running down on wood ;-)

They came out great, highly recommended!

Some pics!
            Click image for larger version

Name:	PB130512.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	239659 Post Brine

Name:	PB130520.JPG
Views:	345
Size:	381.1 KB
ID:	239660After the smoke. I wrapped them in Saran Wrap and put in the fridge overnight. Took one out at lunch time, sliced it up and fried 3 strips. Niiiiice flavor - sweet and not too salty. Hats off to Meathead for a good cure recipe.

Name:	PB130523.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	355.8 KB
ID:	239661 Umm, ribs. Just the right amount of smoke this time. I had both dampers open for the first 1 1/2 hours then just the clean smoke.

Name:	PB130521.JPG
Views:	360
Size:	415.5 KB
ID:	239662 Chicken thighs - did a reverse sear on the top of the KBQ

Name:	PB130514.JPG
Views:	323
Size:	433.0 KB
ID:	239663 The surprise of the evening - MMD and Salted Pumpkin Seeds

Name:	PB130525 (Large).JPG
Views:	333
Size:	276.8 KB
ID:	239664 Crunchy, salty sweet and just a touch of smoke (used just clean smoke).

Finally dinner....

Name:	PB130526.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	239665
            Attached Files

Comment

Very Nice!

Comment

I posted about it in the Competition thread, but got to give some love to the KBQ crew. I attended a competition trimming class and won a SRF wagyu gold brisket trimmed by arguably one of the best comp pitmasters in the US in brisket. Cooked that sucker with some MMD and BBBR. I have had issues getting a good smoke ring. I cooked around 275 and sprayed quite a lot, wrapped at 168, wasnt probe temp till about 208-210 but excellent! Finished in about 6 hours. Figured out the smoke ring a bit!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7007.JPG
Views:	313
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	239738
                Attached Files

Comment

• JCBBQ
                  JCBBQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Oh my Fricken God, that brisket looks amazing!

• carolts
                  carolts commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Are you sure you didn't paint that ring on there? It's perfect!

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks guys! Spinaker - I cooked flat/point separately so hard to tell cause I never usually do that. I did cook a full 21lb. SRF packer on the KBQ in 10 hours no wrapping, so I think that is about standard for KBQ brisket

Wow smokinfatties that is the most delectable brisket I have seen. Phenomenal smoke ring, crusty crust and juicy goodness. Congrats!
                That KBQ does a nice, quick job!

Comment

• EdF
                  EdF commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It's that darned KBQ.

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  EdF yep! HAHAHA! Standard practice for KBQ

Got a question. Did you ( or should you) dry brine a brisket to enhance flavor? Does injecting with low salt beef broth mixed with BBBR/Memphis Dust accomplish the same thing? Plan to do a brisket for Thanksgiving and I really want to replicate your results (but with a CAB brisket - the pocketbook can't afford a SNF Gold Brisket yet!)

The OmegaDog

Comment

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Histrix there was a BOGO on briskets?!!

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DANG! i just saw the thread, oh well!

• smokinfatties
                  smokinfatties commented
                  Editing a comment
                  by the way I wouldn't mix BBBR with broth as an injection

Anyone cooking a turkey on the KBQ this year? I have a 16lb guy and I am thinking that's too big to spatachcock for the KBQ. With the convection fan etc. I am not overly worried about not spatchcocking it but I think my only other option would be to split the spatchcocked turkey in half

Comment

• MBMorgan
                  MBMorgan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why not split it in half (that's a good idea, BTW). It shouldn't change the cooking dynamics at all ... I'd say go for it!

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've never spatchcocked, keep mine whole because my kids love to look at the Bird. But I'd think it should serve the same purpose if you just split it in half and cook it on two shelves. Maybe rotate them halfway

OmegaDog12 hey buddy! for this particular brisket I did not inject. I actually just put salt and BBBR on there and let it sit for about an hour. However, my typical approach is to inject about 5pm day before, then I dry brine around 9pm and let sit overnight. I have a CAB brisket thawing as we speak I inject with a salty injection, I actually reduce a can of regular broth to 2/3 and add more salt with some Worcestershire and a tad of liquid smoke. I know a lot of folks here say low sodium broth, i was just taught differently I guess.

Wrap at about 165-170 and pull when probe tender! I always vent whatever I am wrapping in after the desired temp reaches to prevent carryover cooking. Hope this helps!

Comment

Has anyone tried using PBC hooks on the KBQ? I saw a guy on instagram that put one rack in the KBQ on the top and hung 4 spare rib racks using hooks - I had never thought of this! This would get around my issue of things dripping on each other from the shelves. I bet you could hang 2 briskets from there! I am sure the shelves could support it. Spinaker you have the PBC- do a test run!! or I can just buy some hooks I think they're cheap

Comment

• carolts
                    carolts commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That sounds like a great idea...and you wouldn't have to worry about them tearing through the hooks and falling into the fire!

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Oh yes. Ernest has done this as well. It works great man. Especially for chickens. I haven't trie a brisket though.

smokinfatties You mean like this?

Name:	IMG_20150919_155107.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	362101

Name:	IMG_20150919_091927.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	362102

Best duck ever!

Name:	IMG_20150920_163203-picsay.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	362103
                  Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 07:12 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                    Spinaker commented
                    Editing a comment
                    hahahahahaha YES!!!!!!!! Ernest smokinfatties

• smokinfatties
                    smokinfatties commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah buddy! Ernest Spinaker i knew someone would have tried it!! I have a little brisket i am going to try out., The hotter part of the cooker is the bottom, correct? So i will put the point down. Are those PBC hooks?

• smokinfatties
                    smokinfatties commented
                    Editing a comment
                    also @ Ernest what did you think about the ribs?

smokinfatties yep PBC hooks.
                  The ribs were very good. Even at 225 they came out like grilled, texture wise. Cooked in less than 3 hours.
                  I wouldn't worry about the temp variance, it's not that much different.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here