Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EdF congrads. My first cook was a mess! But it was all my fault. I'm sure yours will be perfect!

Comment

Well, after sleeping on it, I un-pulled the trigger. We intend to move next year, and it would have been one more big item to ship. Patience, Ed.

Comment

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        It's about the size of a small file cabinet.

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        And ~100 lbs? My problem isn't the smoker, it's the woodshop with the Powermatic-sized tablesaw, construction boxes, miter saws, and other tools and bric-a-brac. Well, the BGE is usually a bit challenging too. Fortunately I sold the old Foley-Belsaw planer last time!

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, very heavy gauge stainless steel, but a very compact unit, regardless. Still able to cook 60 lbs of meat, too.

Originally posted by slvance View Post
      The new addition to the family.... [ATTACH=CONFIG]n226057[/ATTACH]
      Great set up!!!! Gonna have to put in an expansion to suit the KBQ

Comment

I already posted this on another thread but I gotta give the KBQ props on it's home court. Once again, it knocked this weekend out of the park. I did pork Belly(pictured), ribs(best I've ever made) , pork shoulder, S&G wings(best yet) and finally bacon wrapped chicken quarters. I got a great pic of the Belly but my rib pic is terrible. Anyway, great weekend great cook and the USA took back the Ryder Cup right in my backyard!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	226691 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1287.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	226690

Name:	image_28009.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	226692 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_28010.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	285.4 KB
ID:	226693

Name:	IMG_1282.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	226694

Comment

• slvance
          slvance commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker I've always fried my wings, but those look really good pre-cooked. How did you prepare them? How do they compare with fried wings?

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          Nicely done dude!!! Did u cure the belly or just rub and smoke??

Originally posted by EdF View Post
        Well, after sleeping on it, I un-pulled the trigger. We intend to move next year, and it would have been one more big item to ship. Patience, Ed.
        The KBQ is portable. I take it all kinds of places. It's not as big as you think.

Comment

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          pork belly is basically uncured bacon slvance

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          whoa whoa whoa.......Pork belly is a sacred bread in these parts brother. It is a KBQ delicacy. Melt in your mouth PIG CANDY. Its a gift from the BBQ gods. slvance

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Uh-oh!

Well - everything looks pretty good in a picture! Attached is the product of my first cook on the KBQ. 2 butts - 1 rack baby and 1 rack spare. The butts were ok. The ribs were just bad. No fault to the KBQ. I was in a rush bought the stuff at Walmart. Usually it is OK, but the ribs were just poor. I knew I was in trouble when I pulled them out. Live and learn. I enjoyed cooking on the KBQ but I better get used to heading out to the wood supplier. 10.5 hour cook and I probably used 80 - 100lbs of wood. Like others have said it did not come close to filing up the ash bin. I was very pleased with the ability to control the temp. I monitored it and it ran about 20 degrees hotter than the dial, but it was very consistent when I turned up the heat so now that I know I will probably do without the thermometers. I should have foiled my pan cause now I have 10 hour fat cooked on the bottom that will be hell to get off. (I should know better). My only issue was that I did get ash on my food. This is the first time I have cooked with wood, so for all I know this could be common on a wood smoker. Since the food was pretty dry I could just blow it off when I opened the front, but it worries my about anything I may put in with a wetter rub. Like I said this was my virgin run and I had no trouble using the cooker at all. Click image for larger version

Name:	10-3-16cook.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	226865

Comment

• smokinfatties
          smokinfatties commented
          Editing a comment
          The picture looks great! What was wrong with the ribs? 80-100lbs of wood seems like a LOT! I did a 10 hour brisket and used less than 1 40lb bag- i dont know if you used fruit wood (apple etc) that burns quicker? or maybe it was kiln dried wood or something that burns super quick?

• Histrix
          Histrix commented
          Editing a comment
          It's best to only add wood to the firebox when the thermostat/exhaust fan is not running. That will lessen any ash getting into the cook chamber.

Also would be interested to see what everyone else has to say re:Ash, I have seen a little bit during my cooks, maybe it could be the type of wood?

Comment

• Histrix
          Histrix commented
          Editing a comment
          It's inevitable that some amount of ash will be drawn into the cook box. That will happen anytime wood/open flame is involved. I haven't noticed any bothersome amount of ash but I always wait for the exhaust fan to stop before adding wood or "fluffing" the coal bed.

smokinfatties I really could not tell you what was wrong. They looked different. On the top of the baby backs the meat almost looked like it was shredded. When I went to cut them they were very tough. It was weird. I'm not sure if there was something wrong with the spare ribs or not. I had to cut a ton of fat off them and they seemed very tough to me too.
        As far as the wood if anything it was greener than it should have been. I live up on a ridge and it gets windy here, but it was not Sunday... just a nice slow breeze. Maybe I over estimated what I used... but I picked up 260lbs and it looks like I used 1/3 of it.

Comment

Histrix great tip.... I'll definitely give that a try....

Comment

• Histrix
            Histrix commented
            Editing a comment
            Straight out of the KBQ Owners Manual:

Tending
            1. Wait for the draft fan to cycle off to reduce ash entrainment.

• slvance
            slvance commented
            Editing a comment
            ha ha ha .... you expect me to read... I'm from Alabama...

slvance I take the Simon and Garfunkel rub and mix in some avocado oil. This forms a paste that I then dump into a bag with the wings. Kinda like Shake and Bake. i just don't have the patience to season each individual wing. Then I rip them in the KBQ with the heat all the way up. They take about 25 mins to cook. And they come out spectacular. I don't have any pictures of then finished, it was too dark. But let me assure you, they were incredible. I got a few "Best wings ever" comments.

smokinfatties I don't cure the belly. I season it with a really sweet rub. In this case I used Meat Church's Honey Hog Rub. I put it on liberally. I usually cut the full slab into small 1 lb. squares then place two of them, seasoned, into a 1 gallon ziplock. Then I let it sit in the bag for at least a day, up to 3 days. Then I smoke them at about 225-250 F range on the KBQ or Keg until it reaches about 140 F. Then I take them out and brush them lightly with rib candy (syrup like mixture) and they go back on the smoker. Then I take them up to 165 F. Then slice to your liking. I try to use oak and Cherry for belly. I just love the smoke those two woods put out.

***Sometimes I cut them into cubes and fry them in a skillet. Which is a classic Veteran move if I do say so myself.
          Last edited by Spinaker; October 3, 2016, 01:42 PM.

Comment

• smokinfatties
            smokinfatties commented
            Editing a comment
            EdF if you like the crispy skin, one great technique is to torch the belly after smoking it if you have a torch for cooking. makes nice and crispy skin!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            slvance. Not stupid - it's Chinese for something like "aromatic crispy pork belly"! We can all relate to that!

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks @smolinfatties!

Originally posted by slvance View Post
          smokinfatties I really could not tell you what was wrong. They looked different. On the top of the baby backs the meat almost looked like it was shredded. When I went to cut them they were very tough. It was weird. I'm not sure if there was something wrong with the spare ribs or not. I had to cut a ton of fat off them and they seemed very tough to me too.
          As far as the wood if anything it was greener than it should have been. I live up on a ridge and it gets windy here, but it was not Sunday... just a nice slow breeze. Maybe I over estimated what I used... but I picked up 260lbs and it looks like I used 1/3 of it.
          Here are a few tips that I think will help you.

1) I would make sure that at least one of your draft ports are open. Sometimes they close on me. So I make a habit of checking them when ever I add wood to the fire.
          2) Only add wood or fiddle with the fire when the fan isn't running. This will make a huge difference with ash introduction into the cook-box.
          3) Try to use bigger pieces of wood. When you use small chunks or pieces; the fire will eat them up quick.
          4) Try to use the woods listed in the KBQ manual as "excellent coal production" These include, oak, cherry, mesquite and a few others.
          5) Dont stack the wood too high in the firebox. If you see flames shooting out of the side of the KBQ, your probably wasting wood. Its okay to have flames at some times. But the flames should never be rolling out of the sides like crazy.
          6) Get a stainless service pan. It fits the KBQ perfectly, and it will catch all the drippings. Problem solved.
          7) Make sure that the front door is all the way closed, and latched.

Comment

• OmegaDog12
            OmegaDog12 commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker - Thanks for all the help. Just ordered the Browne Stainless steel pan and the Kitchenatics Wire rack for the KBQ. Already have a Lodge cast iron pan. One more question - Will I EVER know nearly as much as you about BBQ? ;-)

• badf00d
            badf00d commented
            Editing a comment
            I got my Lodge here: http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/lodg...ildCatid=27836

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha! very nice compliment. But there are guys in here that make me look like a rookie!! OmegaDog12 Great work on the Pans, they will make your KBQ much cleaner after the cook. Easy in, Easy out.

For tip 1: I use metal clips to hold the poppets in place. Works good.
          For tip 6: Are you concerned that a pan would cause a negative effect on smoke circulation?

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
            Here are a few tips that I think will help you.

1) I would make sure that at least one of your draft ports are open. Sometimes they close on me. So I make a habit of checking them when ever I add wood to the fire.
            2) Only add wood or fiddle with the fire when the fan isn't running. This will make a huge difference with ash introduction into the cook-box.
            3) Try to use bigger pieces of wood. When you use small chunks or pieces; the fire will eat them up quick.
            4) Try to use the woods listed in the KBQ manual as "excellent coal production" These include, oak, cherry, mesquite and a few others.
            5) Dont stack the wood too high in the firebox. If you see flames shooting out of the side of the KBQ, your probably wasting wood. Its okay to have flames at some times. But the flames should never be rolling out of the sides like crazy.
            6) Get a stainless service pan. It fits the KBQ perfectly, and it will catch all the drippings. Problem solved.
            7) Make sure that the front door is all the way closed, and latched.
            Ericm Spinaker That is a great idea on the metal clips to hold the ports open. Can you send me a link or a picture of what you use?
            As far as the pan - I did use a stainless pan on the cook. I just bitched that I should have foiled it on such a long drippy cook... however - I let the pan soak for a couple of hours and it cleaned up good... I expected it to never come off like the stuff I have on my heat deflector for the kamado - which is more like a pizza stone... you can't (or I can't) get stuff off of that.

Comment

Greeting KBQers, I've read this thread from start to finish and still have one question. Do you experience coals or ash blowing out of the sides of the firebox? While I have a concrete patio, it is somewhat confined between a cedar fence and vinyl siding on the house. I smoke and grill here all the time with no worry because the fire is confined in a pit. Do you experience stray embers from the firebox? Thanks, Dave

Comment

• badf00d
                badf00d commented
                Editing a comment
                Ash, yes. Coals, no.

• slvance
                slvance commented
                Editing a comment
                Only one cook so far, but no issues. A little ash (not much) - no coals at all except if i lose a couple when manually loading the chimney - then I play the hot potato game....

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
              Greeting KBQers, I've read this thread from start to finish and still have one question. Do you experience coals or ash blowing out of the sides of the firebox? While I have a concrete patio, it is somewhat confined between a cedar fence and vinyl siding on the house. I smoke and grill here all the time with no worry because the fire is confined in a pit. Do you experience stray embers from the firebox? Thanks, Dave
              On very breezy days I did see the occasional ash/spark blowing out the sides. I'm on a concrete patio also and my KBQ is about 10 feet from my fence and house. I'm not really worried about that causing a problem. My garden hose is near my grills so that is always at the ready.

However, I did go ahead and make some screens from stainless steel mesh that I slide on each side of the firebox. With those in place nothing really escapes and now it might happen only when I remove one of the screens to fluff the coals.

When fluffing the coals I will occasionally knock out a pea sized ember which isn't really going to ignite anything. Except my foot maybe.

Tending the KBQ happens frequently enough that it would be an exceptionally rare event for any fire to really go unnoticed or get out of hand before it could be dealt with.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here