Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KBQed Jerk chicken. Finished on the firebox

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210501_192028548.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	333.7 KB
ID:	1025739

Comment

2 hours in the smoke...Debating to wrap or not. They are right around 180-185 IT.

Attached Files

Comment

Interesting, standing the wood on end. I have always done the lay down method.
        Beautiful color on those ribs. The KBQ is quite the smoker eh? ;-)

Comment

Not really sure why I am standing it on end, but that is how I always do bonfire wood. I think it is burning faster, but thats ok.

JGrana, I live in Rochester for 30 years. Left for for Florida in 06'.

Comment

Standing logs burn faster plus you're technically using more wood. Same space for one log is taking 4 and burning faster

Comment

That's broscience at its finest.. HAHAHA

Comment

Broscience!!! I dig it!

Comment

Tasted every bit as good as they looked!

Built in sauce warmer!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by TJewell; May 2, 2021, 07:48 PM.

Comment

• JCBBQ
                    JCBBQ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    looks really nice. what was the time and temp?

• TJewell
                    TJewell commented
                    Editing a comment
                    240-250 for about 4.5 hours

• Santamarina
                    Santamarina commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Great idea to warm sauce up there!

TJewell NICE!!!!!

Comment

TJewell Very nice looking ribs! One observation: It appears to me, from your photo, that the coal bed over the bottom holes may be thin. It might just be the angle of the picture. You want to have a full bed of white hot coals covering the bottom plate of the fire chamber. Given that, then it really doesn't matter how you stack your wood. As long as you can still place your metal lid. The lid slows the wood consumption. Sometimes vertically stacked wood doesn't allow the lid to lay correctly. Wonder what the other KBQers have to say about this? Daniel

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                      Dr. Pepper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      TJewell Whether I start with lump or simply with wood, after it starts coaling, I stuff as much wood in as I can while still allowing the lid to fit on the top. I tell Siri to set the timer for 20 minutes, at which time I expect to refill to the top and push 'reset' on my watch. Rinse, repeat. I'm moving from alder (poor choice, low heat content, poor coaling ability) to cherry, so hope to be able to set timer for 25 minutes! Woohoo!

• TJewell
                      TJewell commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I am using mainly oak. I think I need to cut my chunks up smaller, also.

• Dr. Pepper
                      Dr. Pepper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oak is great. Don't do what I did and buy a cord of alder when the guy says 'Sorry, we're out of oak and cherry, how about alder?'

Is there any benefit w keeping the lid off? For example can you create higher temps inside the box that way?

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                      Dr. Pepper commented
                      Editing a comment
                      JCBBQ I don't think it would create hotter temps to leave the lid off. You just burn wood more quickly, but with the excess heat production flying off into the atmosphere. The heat should come from those hot coals at the bottom. Again, I defer to the experts. KBQ ?

• lostclusters
                      lostclusters commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It is recommended that the lid remain on as much as possible. A policy I subscribe to. Many have tried cooks with lid on and lid off and found lid on is better. Better bark and better smoke taste.

Start your fire with Wood chunks to create a bed of coals then feed with a brick size log. There's no benefit in stuffing the firebox, you're just wasting wood.

Comment

For taco Tuesday, I KBQed riblets because I am a rebel. HAHAHA Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210504_222818698 (2).jpg
Views:	431
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	1027465Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210505_003705088.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	1027466

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                        Dr. Pepper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Those riblets, and the salad, look terrific.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210509_180958891~2.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	1029313Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210509_141620_208.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	1029314Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210509_184722244.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	1029315

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
                        Dr. Pepper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Duck or chicken? (BTW, beautiful bird whatever it is!)

• Ernest
                        Ernest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Dr. Pepper duck

• Dr. Pepper
                        Dr. Pepper commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Pato, mi favorito!

Little bird from yesterday. Meat was good and juicy, but i would like the skin a little bit crisper. Had to KBQ maxed at 320, and pulled the chicken out when the breast was 160+
                      Attached Files

Comment

• lostclusters
                        lostclusters commented
                        Editing a comment
                        If your kbq is only getting to 320 it is not air tight or your fire box is not full enough.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here