Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smokinfatties View Post
    Spinaker i know you said that you use the lodge cast iron grate from the sportsmen on top of the KBQ fire box- do you happen to have grill grates? if so have you tried those on top of the firebox? Anyone else? Ernest I see a lot of weber products - maybe you've tried them. GrillGrate Brad has anyone ever asked you to rig something up for the fire box of the KBQ?
    I have used my Grill grates on the fire box It works pretty well. Not as well as the cast iron grate though. The grill grates are lighter, and they move around a bit on the fire box. The KBQ fire box is about 8 "wide and 13" long, If I remember correctly, and Grill Grate sections are only a little over 5 inches wide, so you have to put two on the fire box. This can cause them to want to separate at the seam. They were designed to sit on a flat surface, not hang over a flat surface by a few inches on both sides. But you need it to hang over a bit on the sides because the fire box just isn't wide enough to handle large cuts.

In my opinion, the Lodge grate is the best option, and it has little legs that help to keep it in place on the fire box. The grate doesn't move at all. Very nice when you get a huge piece of meat up there.

Comment

There are a lot of better choices for a grate to set on top of the KBQ firebox.

Here's what can happen when GrillGrates get too hot:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Melted grillgrates on kamado.png
Views:	254
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	223183

Comment

• Histrix
        Histrix commented
        Editing a comment
        Craigar - not my grill. A fellow on a kamado forum did this on his KJ Jr. I imagine if he had been working the bellows he would have just shown us a picture of the puddle of melted aluminium.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        David Parrish

• David Parrish
        David Parrish commented
        Editing a comment
        What's up? The KJ GG melt-down? GrillGrate Brad sends a warning out to all Kamado owners not to push their GGs to the limit. Aluminum melts around 1221 F plain and simple. Fact is GGs sear great when they're around 850 F. Much beyond that and you're branding the meat, not searing it.

Ernest Well.... maybe me and beef ribs are just not meant to be! They were much better than my first batch, but what I am getting is pretty much pot roast on a stick. The cook went perfectly... pulled them at 192. All I can think is that because they are not prime I can't get close to the same result you do. Time to move on to the tri-tip! Thanks for you help... maybe the KBQ will help some with the beef ribs. Click image for larger version

Name:	beefribs.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	223288

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. Try another meat source. Also,make sure your not using a water pan in the Kamado.

slvance I think your meat is the issue. Are they well marbled? Did you wrap them?
      To much moisture in your kamado? You could be steaming them.
      Don't give up on them. Try another meat source.

Comment

I finally talked my local Costco into ordering some Prime beef short ribs for me. If I am successful in getting them, I'll be back here looking for advice on doing them in the KBQ, preferred rub, etc.

Comment

Spinaker Ernest No water pan in the kamado. But I did foil after 5 hours - I was stalled at 160 and had to get them done for dinner. That could be it.... Little steps... Little steps..

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            AH! There's the issue. The foiling.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, you got it. The foil.

Ernest Ill try them again then.... but I'll wait on the KBC first!

Comment

Originally posted by slvance View Post
            Ernest Ill try them again then.... but I'll wait on the KBC first!
            In the KBQ they will be amazing, trust me. The only rack I've made came out insanely good. Although I needed to trim the fat cap a little bit more. We cant get good plate ribs up here in the north so thats why i am limited on the amount I have cooked. (unless you want to pay an arm and a leg)

Name:	IMG_0081.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	223383 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0051.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	230.0 KB
ID:	223384
            Last edited by Spinaker; September 22, 2016, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• slvance
              slvance commented
              Editing a comment
              Histrix - ha ha ha ha - you are right!

"Stand there and I will taunt you another time"!

KBQ/MCS with helpers.

Comment

• Histrix
              Histrix commented
              Editing a comment
              slvance - the Mother was a hamster, it was the Father that smelt of elderberries.

Rookie mistake.

• EdF
              EdF commented
              Editing a comment
              Indeed it was a reference to one of the greatest movie scenes of all time!

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Indeed, it was! Loves me some Monty Python for quite a few decades, now!!!

Beef Ribs on KBQ are excellent! The choice or prime grade are the way to go. No wrapping necessary. Hickory and apple till probe tender. BBBR is my fave for these Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Views:	318
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	223465 Click image for larger version

Name:	image5.JPG
Views:	319
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	223466

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh hell yeah Brother!!! #LIT

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks for the pics; just one more reason I can fantasize about gettin' a KBQ!!

Keep smokin'!

For me, beef short ribs is BBQ king of meats

Comment

• Breadhead
              Breadhead commented
              Editing a comment
              Burnt ends, the Caviar of BBQ, is a close second then.🤔

Well I just had to play with fire again.......encore beef ribs, threw in some turds for the pitmaster privileges..

Name:	Rack o'beef.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	362091

Name:	IMG_20160925_135807.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	362092

Name:	IMG_20160925_171841.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	362093

Name:	IMG_20160925_124601.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	362095

Attached Files
            Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I was gonna do a KBQ cook today. Then I opened it up.........MOLD!!! Its been really rainy here and the humidity has been high. I was not impressed with myself. I should be taking better care of the KBQ, I guess. DAMN!!! Gotta hit it with the power washer and bleach. Then do a bunt out. I've got a huge Ryder Cup Party that I am cooking for next weekend. So I gotta have this baby cleaned up and ready to go.

Comment

Speaking of grates on the KBQ firebox - I have a Master Forge SS Propane Grill with one of those side sear burners. This sear burner doesn't really work that well, haven't used in on a long time.

But - look at the nice heavy SS grate:

Name:	20160926_092526_resized.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	224812

Put on top of the KBQ - fits pretty well. I seemed to recall that Meathead preferred SS grates over cast iron for searing. Side to side movement is good, now to fine a way to help the front to back movement. Maybe a few SS clamps.

Name:	20160926_092624_resized.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	224813

Comment

I would use a vice and a channel lock. Try to bend the ends of those grates. Your not going to want to have to fiddle with it while the fire is going. You want to be able to lay it on the box and not have to worry about it. This is why the lodge grate is so nice. The legs on the bottom of the grate hold it in place. But I would try to bend the ends down on that grate to get it to hold onto the fire box.
                  JGrana

Comment

• JGrana
                    JGrana commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks Spinaker, I might try the bend! In the mean time, I found 4 rope clamps and put 2 on each end. After a few minor adjustments, fits well and keeps it stable in both directions. Photo is in a later post.
                    Last edited by JGrana; September 26, 2016, 11:52 AM. Reason: Adding a photo in a later post

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here