Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Houston, we've had a failure.

I decided to try the fuse method (2x1) in my WSM instead of my usual minion method. And, of course, I failed to take my own advice to never do something new when company is coming. It took forever to get up to temp (so my needed finish time was already compressed) but when it did and the smoke was thin and blueish, I put a pork butt in, and a bit later 6 half racks of BBs. The temp never recovered. I finally had to pull the top two sections of the WSM and change the fuse to a 3x2. It took time, but the temp finally started to come back up to our normal smoking level.

I cooked the ribs longer, but had to pull for dinner. They were tough , some were somewhat acrid and the fat had not properly rendered.

While the butt was not on the menu, I had to finish it in the oven. I had wrapped in in the smoker in an attempt to hurry it along. When I took it out of the oven, I was so tired I forgot to pull it, and just put it in the fridge. I am warming it in the oven this morning and will then pull it.

As soon as the butt is warmed and pulled, I am going to do a dry run in the smoker to get a better feel for the fuse method.

#1 and I both agree it was the worst smoke in over a year. Our guests, however really liked them and said they were some of the best they'd had. Also said the hood smelled great from the smoking. They seemed excited that I gave them most of the uneaten ribs (I just didn't even want them in the house). Their comment was if this is a bad smoke, please have us over when you have a good one.

Tough to write this, this episode makes me sick, mostly because I knew better and screwed up anyway.
    Last edited by richinlbrg; May 31, 2015, 06:33 AM. Reason: Fix iPad spacing issues

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      yeah, really stinks, doesn't it Huskee ? I knew that the extra meat would lower the smoker temp, which made me too slow to change to a 3x2 fuse.

I think they really liked them.

Oh, almost forgot, also grilled some chicken breasts and mild sausages.

In the smoker, I did a couple bacon wrapped cheese dogs - they were good.

• eugenek
      eugenek commented
      Editing a comment
      I think we can all sympathize! Are you trying the fuse method in order to get the temps down? I've been reserving the fuse for the kettle (usually 2x2) and Soo's donut method for the WSM (I use a cutout paint can to hold the donut hole, pour hot coals in the middle, then simply pull the can). But that's also because I'm usually cooking around 250º or higher.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      eugenek, I decided to try it to run a hotter but smaller fire. That way I'd get the best smoke because I wouldn't have to close down my vents and risk bitter smoke. Next cook will also be a bigger one, so I'll be using the doughnut.

So it turns out that it was not a total loss yesterday. Got the pork butt re-heated, pulled it and it turned out just right!

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Glad to see you salvaged something from your cook. I had guests over the first time I used my 14.5 WSM for the first time. I did a chuck roast. The temps plummeted at the 4 hour mark and nothing I tried worked. Turns out that when I was adding coals I inadvertently bumped the center ring so it wasn't on properly and the cooker was bleeding heat. I was doing a pot roast and threw the veggies on the top rack. This is when the temp plumetted. It was Jaunaury - cold, windy and snowing - when I was cooking plus it was dark and I couldn't see what I was doing. We ate the chuck at 160 internal. It had good flavor but it was tough. The veggies were under-cooked as well. Complete disaster and I was pissed at myself for loading the little cooker up for its first cook.

Live and learn, I suppose.

Your pulled pork looks really good!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Looks great richinlbrg!

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      All's well that ends well. That PB looks delicious!

Kathryn

Last Memorial Day I cooked up some beer can bacon burgers, recipe courtesy the BBQ Pit Boys. Just an hour using indirect heat, and as they say, it's guud!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_9484.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	87002

Name:	image_9485.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	87003

Today I've got more spareribs cooking. Last week's was slightly overcooked so this time I'm watching the temp/time more closely. But the meat is a bit thicker so I think we're going to be good. I bought 4 racks from Restaurant Depot.

Name:	image_9483.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	87001

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      eugenek I do a lot of the BBQ PitBoys recipes and yes as they it is guud 😊

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll give you the "BBQ pit boys" shaky thumbs up! It's guuuuuuud!!

Received my Vortex on Friday so gave it a go for ground turkey meatballs. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1355.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	87027

Comment

Too tired for low and slow today. BUT.......

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        DWCowles that's zucchini.

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest that's what I thought...I like them both

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        My boys love grilled zucchini and grilled summer squash. Those look perfectly done Ernest.

I smoked 15 pounds of pork butt for a friend and also made the buns for her and her quests. I had lunch with them today and then went to my son's house to grill him and his family steaks. He bought Prime grade Ribeye's at Costco. They were only 1 1/4" thick so I grilled them hot and turned them every minute until they were at 125°. With the carryover cooking they were served at close to 130°. I also did Brussels sprouts with bacon and sautéed them in some chicken stock and added a little balsamic vinegar. We also had my homemade Ciabatta bread and a nice Merlot.

Comment

Monday cook. That BBBR is pretty good on ribs as well.

Beef short ribs

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Those shorties look great Ernest. Nice smoke ring and very juicy.

Ribs and mango Salsa.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Mmmm... You nailed those ribs Earnest and it's a beautiful picture too.
          Last edited by Breadhead; June 2, 2015, 04:53 PM.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good, Jon. I like the way you have them arranged. I guess it's not good enough to have them looking good when plating them, you have to make arrange them in a visually appealing manner on the kettle too! ;-)

Marinated (and mildly reversed seared) London Broil

Name:	18441971721_7cac5ebfbb_o.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	87523

Name:	18441971881_1b36b9f679_o.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	87524

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Good sear, medium rare and juicy. Those look great!

Jon Solberg those chicken wings looks mighty fine

Comment

Chuck roast on my rotisserie in the gasser.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            jayn that chuckie looks pretty darn good

• JeffJ
            JeffJ commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice use of the rotisserie jayn.

I doubled the quantity and cooked 3 loaves on the Performer. I used the Smokenator. I lit 15 coals for the Minion Method and had all of the vents wide open. I filled the water bowl but once it ran dry I didn't add more water. At the 1 and 1/2 hour mark the internal temp peaked at 154, stalled and then dropped all the way back down to 147 even though I was running about 310 inside the kettle. At the 2 hour and 15 minute mark I had to pull them because it was 8:45 and the family was starving. They certainly looked and tasted as if they were cooked through and they were really good. I served them with steamed broccoli and elbow noodles with a little tomato juice - the accompaniments are a long time tradition for meatloaf from my wife's side of the family. The glaze was 1/3 KC, 1/3 Western Carolina and 1/3 J-1 sauce (all of these sauce recipes are posted on the appropriate channel).

Name:	IMG_0033.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	171.4 KB
ID:	87538

I just wanted to show off the thin blue smoke. I used a small chunk of pecan and a few cherry and mesquite chips. The amount of smoke delivered to the meat was just about perfect IMO.

Name:	IMG_0034.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	87537

Comment

Brisket, 8 hour smoke
            Attached Files

Comment

• PitJediJoe
              PitJediJoe commented
              Editing a comment
              thanks buddy

• The Burn
              The Burn commented
              Editing a comment
              Very nice!

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree, great looking brisket

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here