Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today I did a 4lb Santa Maria style Tri-Tip (garlic, onion and pepper) and 7 hamburger buns, in the BGE. For the Tri-tip I mounted my GX Grill extender on top of the firebox - 1" from the lump coals. Then I put the 18" grate on top of the fire ring. That's 2-zone cooking, BGE style. Up and down - not left and right... With temp control to make it work. I used my new DigiQ Dx2 to get the dome cooking temperature up to 225 degrees. I put the meat on the grill as soon as the bad smoke cleared. I took the Tri-tip up to 96 degrees and then turned it over. I baked it up top until it reached 115 degrees. Then I took the Tri-Tip off the grill and removed the upper 18" grate. I told the DigiQ that I wanted 475 degrees... The blower went on and the coal got red hot. I blotted the meat and used a silicone basting brush to coat it with canola oil and put it on the grate down low... 1" from the red hot lump coal to sear it. Then... I pulled the GX off of the firebox. I put on the plate setter, legs up. Then I put the 18" grate on top of the PS legs. Then I put the GX extender on top of the 18" grate and put my pizza stone on top of the GX. I told the DigiQ that I wanted a cooking temperature of 375 degrees. Once the temp stabilized at 375 I put the buns on. Having baked them in my indoors oven before I knew they would take about 20 minutes to bake. I opened the domen and rotated them 180% after 10 minutes to get even baking and browning. All went well.
    Last edited by Breadhead; May 14, 2015, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd love to learn how to cook upside down - looks like fun

Breaknner - breakfast for dinner

Comment

• Flavorsavor
      Flavorsavor commented
      Editing a comment
      Those eggs look picture perfect

Ernest next time I'm in Dallas you can fix my breakfast (as long there ain't no duck involve) 😊

Comment

DWCowles I don't scramble eggs without duck fat. But I'll make an exception for you. LOL

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you have any Tex Mex egg dishes?

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Not really. It all depends on what I have on hand.
        If I have chorizo available, I saute it with onions, and peppers, extra chipotle powder.
        While the eggs are still wet on top, sprinkle a layer of Queso, layer the chorizo mess on one half of the egg and folder over. Serve with chunky salsa.

Pics to come, gonna be a close call today. I decided to work from home while doing some huge pork butts for a friend. Got a call from the CEO as soon as I put the coals on, didn't get the meat hung until 10AM, leaving for party at 6PM which gives me 8 hours for about 18 pounds of butt. Even with the PBC this is gonna take some work...and foil. Lot's of foil.

Comment

Well I got to test one of Doc's theories about 300 bypassing the stall. 3.5 hours in I was only about 150 but the color was great so I decided to go ahead and wrap. Due to the time constraints I kept it right up in the 290 to 300 range. So there was really no stall of any kind, at all, which makes sense because I wrapped it and kept the temps high. So right now it is 4PM, it has been 6 hours and I just took them off to rest in the cambro. Wow that was fast.

Comment

Pizza night

Comment

• Flavorsavor
            Flavorsavor commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you preheat your cast iron pan before putting the pizza on it, or do you just make your pizza on the pan?

Great toppings, and that crust seems to be supporting the weight quite well. Very nice!!!

Comment

TheCountofQ oh yeah! Crispy crust

Comment

Friday Night Griled Lobster Tail, Steak, Yukon Gold Potato, Corn

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome!

• Steve Vojtek
                Steve Vojtek commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice version of surf and turf -awesome.......

• troymeister
                troymeister commented
                Editing a comment
                Forgot to mention the lobster tails were on sale 8.99 for 2.

embedded pics instead of links

Last edited by Father87; May 17, 2015, 08:49 AM.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
                TheCountofQ commented
                Editing a comment
                Those Shorties look incredible as well. Nice ring, and they don't appear overdone on the outside at all, but done all the way thru. Tender also, I am guessing.

• Father87
                Father87 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes thank you. First time trying and making, I love beef lol. I had them bare and also with just a light dip of Weber's sauce.

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Beef short ribs are taking over

Breakfast with the family

Comment

Here is what I am cooking... will add finished pics later..

3 full size big mama pork butts with MMD rub... 2 in the PBC and one in the cajun bandit

Much Later........ the next day

That Little CajunBandit is impressive... it was still holding a steady 230 degrees 3 hours AFTER the butts were done... the PBC was running about 189 at the same time.
                Last edited by smarkley; May 17, 2015, 06:03 PM. Reason: adding finished pic

Comment

• Flavorsavor
                  Flavorsavor commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Trace is great stuff! I have to stock up on the rare occasion it hits the shelves here in NC.

I'm trying to smoke at least once on the weekend and once during the week... This weekend was brisket and ribs. Wrapped the ribs for the first time. Need more work, but they were all eaten.
                Brisket was very good for my first foray. Had 2, 1-8#, 1-16#. Tried trimming them up (watched several Aaron Franklin vids). The small one i did a pretty good job. The larger, I needed to work on more. Both had a nice bark and smoke ring. I used birch wood without the bark. It is strong. I think i will wrap the brisket after an hour or two next time. I know it looks dry, but it wasn't. Family seemed to love it. 18 hours, but had the last two hours were in my electric as i just couldn't get my new Beast up to temperature. It was my first cook on it, and i definately have some learning to do...

Comment

Smoked some bacon, shorties, and pork shanks yesterday on the weber. Hit the shorties with some o'learys, took em to 208. Pork shanks I did a sort of Simon and garfunkle paste with fresh herbs, smoked to 195. My wife made some amazing goat and blue cheese grits, and we served with a sauce made from all the drippings. Not a bad evening. Oh and our last bottle of Croatian wine. Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8979.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	83284 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8980.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	83285 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8981.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	83286 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8982.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	83287 Click image for larger version

Name:	image_8983.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	83288
                  Last edited by Flavorsavor; May 17, 2015, 09:04 AM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
                    richinlbrg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OH, WOW does that ever look GREAT! Looks like you two had a veritable feast!!

kudos!!!

• Ernest
                    Ernest commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm loving that presentation! Great job! @Flavorsavor
                    About the plates, where did you get those?

• Flavorsavor
                    Flavorsavor commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks guys. Leftovers were even better the next day. We got those bowls as part of a set from bed bath and beyond, Ernest. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/stor...tryId=10723352

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here