Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Back Ribs indirect with BBBR and pecan wood using the SnS. Sweet potatoes par-cooked and then finished directly over SnS. Happy humans and happy dogs. Any time I can get these ribs for $3.99/lb, I'm going to jump on them. And the SnS continues to impress.

Click image for larger version

Name:	19204893810_8fa6613504_o.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	94415

Name:	19386321692_2d17542708_o.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	94416

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Beautiful! Did you get a shot of them on the kettle?

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee, not this time. Do you need one? I'm sure I'll be doing them again soon.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't need one per se, but I'm always on the lookout for great shots!

I found this Ethiopian seasoning called Berbere. It has some exotic ingredients with a kick. Decided to dump some of that in Memphis dust. Goodness gracious

But this here sammich had folks catching the Holy Ghost with the cuss words sprinkled in....

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Why am I not surprised at your guests reaction?

Look AWESOME!! As usual.

Try the SnS out tonight Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0109.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	94443

Comment

• DWCowles
      DWCowles commented
      Editing a comment
      richinlbrg I like it for searing steaks. That's the main reason I got it. I probably won't ever do any slow cooks on it because of the Lang and the Rec-Tec.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      The SnS is sure a heck of an afterburner.

For small cooks, I use a lot less charcoal with it. As I play with it, I'm finding more uses for it, and liking it a LOT!

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      I can fit 9-12lbs meat easily on my 22" kettle in the indirect zone with the SnS, and get 8-10 hrs on one chimney of charcoal. Don't rule out the SnS for slow cooks just yet! It's an efficiency machine. (I know, it's hard to let the eos just sit there, been there man)

The long work hours have kept me away from the Hasty Bake for quite some time now. With a three day weekend though, I wanted to do something, and make it special ...since it will probably be a while before I am able to get back to it again. Here we have two french cut, bone in prime ribeye, just over 2" thick, dry brining for a planned Sunday evening meal. Sides will be grilled onion, Portobello, and asparagus. Click image for larger version

Name:	20150703_204131.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	94561

Comment

Big worm in action...weber barrel cooker

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee Weber Barrel Cooker

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Right, I'm saying there's a new acronym out there now, "WBC"

• FLBuckeye
        FLBuckeye commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest Where did you get the insert to hang the meat??

I am making Pig shots today. This time I am using beef n' cheddar kielbasa for the base. Applewood thick-cut bacon stuffed with Habanero cheddar and dusted with Dizzy Pig Jamaican Fire-walk seasoning. Really looking forward to this. We are doing a whole hog on the farm today as well. Sadly, I'm not apart of the cook. I've got prior engagements during the day. (I know I know, how could I not be there for the cook, But the crazy things we do for love....) Anyway, I'll head back right as the hog is about done so I'll throw some pictures up so everyone can see how she came out. I hope everyone has a safe and smokey fourth!! Make sure we take time to remember the sacrifice so many have made to attain and preserve our beautiful union. Happy Fourth Every One !!!!

Here's a pic of me prepping the shots and some wings I made yesterday!!

Name:	IMG_3612.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	94683

Name:	IMG_3613.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	247.3 KB
ID:	94738

Name:	IMG_3609.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	94684
      Last edited by Spinaker; July 4, 2015, 03:10 PM.

Comment

I've started cooking a 2-bone section of ribs as a "test" subject. I do use the bend test, but this is my way to leave the main rack looking undisturbed and getting a treat just before they are ready.

Edit: Unfortunately I brought the test ribs inside and my wife caught me, so I had to share.

Test results:

Name:	IMG_1937.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	94746

Comment

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice smoke ring... is that from the SnS?

• fuzzydaddy
          fuzzydaddy commented
          Editing a comment
          smarkley, yes that's from the SnS. The finished spare ribs were outstanding.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look great, fuzzydaddy !!

I know someone who ate well last night!

No clutching or BBQ sauce was involved.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Look like double clutching to me!

• smarkley
          smarkley commented
          Editing a comment
          another nice smoke ring! Good stuff

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great!

Worthy of being called, well........Ernest

Happy 4th of July!

Comment

Meathead's Spiedies... actually called Speedie's by those from Binghamton. Yesterday we mixed the marinade and made both Lamb and Prime grade Sirloin cubes of meat and marinated it for 24 hours... .As Meathead suggested. What brought this cook on was my friend Mary who now lives in Torrance, Ca grew up in Binghamton, NY. She and her older sister who dined with us had fond memories of Speedie's from their childhood days. They are now 57/67 years old and neither had eaten Speedies for the last 35 years. .When I discovered Meathead's recipe I emailed it to Mary and she went on and on and on telling me how she loved Speedies!!! She gave me the whole history of the Deli's her father would buy the premarinated Lame from and bring it home to grill it. She described exactly how a speedie is supposed to be served, clamped by a bun while still on the screwers and pulled off. Your bread is supposed to be buttered before clamping the Speedies off of the screwers. .She and her sister said the meat they had as kids was just called Speedie meat at the Deli. Their dad bought it and they never knew for sure what kind of meat they had as kids. That's why we cooked both Lame and Sirloin beef. After tasting both today they were sure the meat they ate as kids was Lamb. .I personally had never heard of Spiedies/Speedies until I saw the recipe on AmazingRibs. Because I knew Mary had lived in Binghamton where Meathead said the recipe originated in America I mentioned it to Mary. Mary became excited and reminiscent and went on and on about Speedies. Of course I knew we had to make Mary and her sister some Speedies. .We followed Meathead's recipe exactly and marinated them for 24 hours and cooked them on a 4 burner gasser. We made macaroni salad and baked beans to duplicate the meal they had as kids. Everything came out perfectly. I... Sat at the dinner table and listened to them discussing Speedies for a half hour. They said they thought Meathead's spelling of Spiedies was maybe a Greek translation of the American word Speedie - they were confused with his spelling because they always called them Speedies. As usual... I stayed quiet because I wanted them to feel free to express their love of this lovely treat they considered a delicacy as a child. .They were a tasty treat. It would make a great treat as halftime nibbles during football season.
          Last edited by Breadhead; July 5, 2015, 01:12 AM.

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks awesome - i bet you all had a good meal and a good time...

Name:	2015-07-04 20.05.38.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	94881 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-04 19.51.18.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	94882 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-04 20.05.35.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	94883 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-04 19.59.52.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	275.5 KB
ID:	94884 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-04 19.56.55.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	94885 Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-04 19.59.46.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	271.5 KB
ID:	94886 Sous Vide Brisket Point. Dry brined for 8 hours. My own version of BBBR, Evoo,wild garlic and the scapes in the bag. 24 hours on the souse vide @ 150 degrees. Very tender, good flavor, nice texture. It left a beautiful liquid in the bag which i made a nice pan sauce with.

Comment

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            OH YEEEAAH!!

• troymeister
            troymeister commented
            Editing a comment
            Ernest, You were right about the Sous Vide. I'm not regretting it at all. I love the fact it is a whole new world of cooking and yet combines BBQ.

• Ernest
            Ernest commented
            Editing a comment
            troymeister I'm glad to hear. Hey food sustains life, clothing is optional. So it's only right that one should have a few options to prepare and serve good food.

I bought a 5lb pork belly and cured it for 7 days (cure #1, salt, water, brown sugar, honey, black pepper). It was then smoked to 150F using apple wood.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
            Steve Vojtek commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks great! I love bacon and home made is best!

I hope everyone had a great fourth! Let me just say first and foremost, I had a few prior engagements yesterday so the credit for cooking the hog and chicken has to go to the good ol' boys on the farm. They did a great job!! Yesterday, We had a big old pig/chicken roast. We roasted whole hog over an open pit. Then with about 2 hours left on the hog we threw the chickens on. I would say that ours is more like a rotisserie pit than anything. We sandwiched the hog and chicken between a chain link rotisserie and let it roll over the open fire. We used oak logs for the fire and man did it turn out awesome. The chicken was my favorite part. it was golden brown, tender and full of moist flavor. Just delectable. The best, crispiest chicken skin I've ever had. The hog turned out awesome as well. The skin was almost like cracklins it was so crispy.We moped through out with a Carolina vinegar mop sauce. That really came through on the finished product. The shoulder and hams were my favorite parts. The dog got the ears!! All in all a great cook.

Name:	IMG_3614.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	215.1 KB
ID:	94940 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3618.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	94943

Name:	IMG_3619.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	94941 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3616.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	94942

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Now that's is what I called a feast...looks amazing Spinaker

Cooked flank steak, babybacks and a brisket flat for Fourth of July. Turned leftover brisket into hash with hollandaise sauce. And there were fireworks!

Comment

I called this the 12 -10 brisket > 12 hours to cook and gone in 10 minutes. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0118.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	94983 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0117.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	94982

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              It took that long to disappear?

• DWCowles
              DWCowles commented
              Editing a comment
              ecowper I'm sure it was less than 10 minutes because it was about 10 minutes before I went to get me a slice and there wasn't any. Good thing I got a couple of slices when I was slicing it.
              Last edited by DWCowles; July 5, 2015, 06:56 PM.

• Ernest
              Ernest commented
              Editing a comment
              You have to use your pitmaster privilege. LOL

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here