Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another humble grilling, this time sweet sausage for sausage and peppers. Second grilling of the weekend, the third tonight, haddock, if the weather holds (rain forecast - I'll cook in some rain, just depends on how hard it is raining). Feels good to be back at it!

Comment

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      That looks nice, Rich. I like the way you are easing yourself back into the saddle.

Thank you, Jeff and Jon. EASING? I'm either grilling, eating or sleeping. Think I missed grilling a meal yesterday. LOL

I've missed it! The grilling and smoking as well as the good eats!

Comment

GREAT job, Hardshell! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Can't wait to watch your path as you get used to the new equipment! Left me droolin for my next rib smoke.

Comment

Totally new to the site.....and grilling. I just purchased a Weber 26.75" Kettle and I ordered the Smoke EZ kit and an iGrill2 to complete my initial set-up. Everything finally arrived last week, so this Saturday I decided to try Pit Master's Rum & Coke Baby Back Ribs. (I also used a Texas Rub and Sauce from a Jack Daniels recipe book that I've had for years). Below are pics of my first attempt with the new equipment.

The rain held off all day, so I'm going to call it a success.....
        Last edited by Hardshell; April 25, 2015, 05:53 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been lusting after the 26.75 for a year now.

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, a 26.75 with a Smoke-EZ - that provides a lot of smoking room. Nice work.

A rack of pork spareribs, separated into SL and a section of riblets, a rack of baby backs, and some chunks of chuck roast destined for shredded beef.

MMD on the pork, and salt and pepper and some B&G from Noah on the beef.

I'm thinking of taking off the beef when the ribs are done, and wrapping and freezing it, then final slow cooking it in the oven in a couple of weeks for a Cinco de Mayo party. I had the PBC stoked up, so I took advantage to get some smoke into the beef.

Comment

This weekend was my first smoke with my new SmokinTex 1400.
          Two 7 lb butts from Sam's Club (not a lot of choices here in Fairbanks, but will be looking around for a small shop supplier). I planned on around 14 hours, but wanted plenty of time, just in case since it was my first cook in this box. We were actually planning to eat 25 hours after I put them in the smoker. Glad i had the cushion of time. Meat went in and I turned the dial to 225* (both probes in the meat to begin, pulled the bottom one and used it to watch the box temp about 5 hours in). Due to the size, I put one butt above the other. Within 2.75 hours, the bottom butt was 30* ahead of the top one. At one point, about 21 hours in, the temp in the box began to drop. Checked power, everything i could think of, no reason for it. Turned the temp up to 250, heard it kick in. Turned it back to 225 and hear it kick out. So, at that point I just left it at 250. Waited to late on the tators. Started with them in the microwave for 10 mins, then scored the outside, oiled and added some rub. Put them in the smoker at 22 hours. At 24 hours, we pulled them, wrapped them, then put them in the oven to try and finish them off. I didn't get them to 210, but they were good - just a bit al dente. We had the bottom butt (first removed from smoker) in a faux cambro for about 2 hours. When we pulled it out and put it in the pan to shred it, it was still hot enough to burn my fingers. THANK GOODNESS FOR BEAR CLAWS! The top (last butt removed) went into the faux cambro at that time. Took dinner to my kids a mile away. Dinner was 7 lbs of butt, baked potatoes, salad, slaw, and SAUCE. 7 adults and 6 little kids all under 5 - finished the butt with NONE left over. I was so glad to have the one safely at home. :-)
          Feedback from the family that the pork was great, smoke was perfect, bark was delicious (thank you Memphis Rub). Sauce was great, but had no heat. The kids LOVED it. I'm thinking i will make 2 batches next time. I think the sweet will stay the same, but we need another version that is just a LITTLE less sweet, but has a bit. double the hot sauce, and maybe a little more chili powder. :-)
          Here are some pics:::

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice cook! That's a great luxury with SIFi cookers is loooong cooks with very little worry.

• 1buba
            1buba commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks Huskee. Yeah, low maintenance. GREAT meat.
            I must say, as the weather gets nicer though, i'll probably go back to my cheapie stick burner. AFTER i do some mods. I just enjoy the work involved, and it feels more like I'm doing the work and not the smoker.

Steak N Potatoes

Comment

• Father87
            Father87 commented
            Editing a comment
            you win

Last nights steak... A Prime grade Ribeye dry aged for 21 days I bought at Whole Foods. I reverse seared it on a gasser. The sides were new potatoes with rosemary, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and grilled zucchini. A nice bottle of wine is always nice.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Great looking steak!! I love the grilled Zucchini too, such a good addition.

Anyone up for some?

Comment

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol. I would've snapped a pic too.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            HAHA, Lost in translation.

• Flavorsavor
            Flavorsavor commented
            Editing a comment
            I hope it was on sale

I did an avocado pizza and some rotisserie chickens, but I feel like this more appropriately summarizes my weekend... Click image for larger version

Name:	Julep.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	78719

Comment

Tandoori Chicken and Naan Bread - in my DIY Tandoor. The chicken tasted good. It took longer to cook than I was expecting. I learned a lot on this first cook:

1) The fire needs to be HOT! I didn't use enough charcoal. I might switch to lump (which is generally recommended) or Kingsford Competition. The fire did not seem hot enough. The oven did not get and keep a temp in the 800-900ºF, which it should.

2) Don't crowd the food. Multiple skewers with many fewer pieces on each is better than putting a bunch of pieces on one skewer. The middle pieces just don't cook as fast and the end pieces (both ends, interestingly) get over-cooked.

3) On this one, at least, loading the skewers so that the pointy end rests on the ledge where the bottom pot fits into the top pot and the food hangs more horizontally works better. Otherwise, the bottom piece gets too charred. I put a hunk of onion on to act as a heat shield and it worked, but the handle end of the drumstick was sticking out and got burned right off.

4) Getting Naan bread to stick on the side is not as easy as it looks in other people's videos. I got 2 to cook and they tasted good, but didn't look too good yet.

Here is the marinated chicken just put on the skewer - as I said, obviously too crowded. I was so anxious to try this out that I couldn't wait for my tandoor skewers to arrive and used my single rotisserie skewer for the test run.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20150420_184409.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	78877

Here is a piece after it's cooked:

Name:	20150420_192205.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	78879

Here is the first naan. The second looked slightly better:

Name:	20150420_192214.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	78880
            Attached Files

Comment

Sous vide fried chicken. No dredging was involved. Sous Vide at 162 for 3 hours. Kept it for later use in the refrigerator. Later use turned out to be today

Comment

• The Burn
                The Burn commented
                Editing a comment
                Pretty

Tamarind Honey Wings on the Vortex. First time I tried them - good stuff. GF liked them as is, I think I might give them a little Sriracha heat next time.

Name:	IMG_1506.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	79020

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks great man. I'm having some people over for the Wild game tonight, And I am going to make some wings with the Vortex. How long and how hot did you cook those babies at? Looks like you've got those done to perfection. Any advice helps. Thanks @Theburn

Spinaker - I use between 1/2 to 3/4 weber chimney of hot coals, which fills the Vortex, narrow end up. Plus a chunk of wood. Takes approximately 35 minutes. I don't bother to temp the grill as there's really not a spot outside the "meat bubble" that's not over the Vortex. I check the drumettes with my Thermapen to be sure & the wings are done at the same time. My usual rule of thumb is when I think they're done it's
              5 more minutes. Most of my wings I cook naked or dry brined & toss in sauce afterwards. This particular batch was sauced first and basted. The baste had some honey in it, which gave these the nice color. But they're always golden looking - cherry wood tends to give them the darkest color. Good luck & show us some pics.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                @TheBurn Thanks for the tips. I cant wait to get that Vortex rippin' again. Its been way to long. I am doing a plum sauce glaze with a Garlic chili paste. Should be awesome. Thanks again for your help!!! I will post picks right after I pull them off.

Threw some Fatties on to help Season the new WSM 22. Wife was thrilled!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here