Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extreme Ultimate Hamburger Bun... Brioche - Sourdough style, done in your KitchenAid mixer. This bun with Meathead's Steakhouse Steakburger is Hamburger heaven.
    Last edited by Breadhead; April 18, 2015, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Hold the onion for this camper, otherwise that looks like an American classic! I can't wait until I get the slightest motivation to try homemade rolls, I know they will knock things out of the park. I just haven't gotten there yet.

Originally posted by LSUBBQFan View Post
    Hey gang, anyone cooking through the night tonight? I'm about 2.5 hours into a 4# boston butt on my 22" Weber kettle. I'm planning to take it as far as I can on the grill until about 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. when I need the grill space for 2 racks of baby backs. I plan to move the butt into the oven, but am wondering how to modify MH's "fast method" since it will have cooked on the grill for roughly 8.5 hours (vs. 2). So far I'm averaging around 230 degrees grill temp.

As always, I appreciate all the great info this site and the members provide. I wish I had more time to fully participate in forums more often.

BTW - I'm not sure I'm posting this in the proper place, so my apologies if not.

Thanks
    I've got 2 7lb bits going. Started at 5pm. Have them on top of each other (spaced ) but the temp in the top one is running 30* behind the butt on the bottom. My first cook in this electric so I'm not to worried. Don't have to eat until 6pm...
    Smoker temp is currently 205, (set at 225). Top butt is currently 145. Figure it should hit the stall around 3:40 or 4am. Gonna just wait through it. Have plenty of time. In the meantime, I made some BBQ SAUCE this afternoon. Tweaked one of the recipe here. Oh my... it was slap your momma good! Not quite enough heat, but the grand babies will appreciate that. Already looking forward to ribs next weekend.

Comment

1buba, looks like it's just us out there tonight. Sounds good. I understand about catering to the little ones. My daughter (6) is quite the particular eater, but luckily -- at least at the moment -- anything daddy cooks on the grill is just GREAT! So I've got more license to grill now than ever before, ha!

Good luck with the new electric smoker, sounds like a good option in your part of the world. It's about 69 and slight drizzle down here in south Louisiana tonight. Our summer heat/humidity is quickly returning.

Comment

LSUBBQFan I did that exact thing yesterday, a few posts up, a 4lb butt on my 22" Weber. I did it unwrapped and it took 16hrs, on only about 1.5 chimneys of coals. Started cooking at 4am, done at 8pm last night.
        Last edited by Huskee; April 18, 2015, 06:35 AM.

Comment

My first foray into sausage-making, using my KitchenAid grinder and sausage stuffer. The stuffer's a little slow, but works like a charm. I did some loose beef breakfast sausage (not pictured), some 60/40 Pork/Beef Kielbasa, and some Pork Sweet Italian Sausage

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1495.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	78357

Name:	IMG_1496.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	78358

Here's a couple of kielbasa grilled (and a small Italian to taste).

Name:	IMG_1497.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	78359

They were good - flavors could be a bit bolder, but I was happy with them. The breakfast sausage was the tastiest.

Comment

This is awesome TB. Your inspiring me to break out the Kitchenaid. Great job my friend

Comment

Thanks Jon. Spring has sprung and I've got a real itch to cook constantly.

Comment

OK, first weekend off. Gave the WSM a thorough cleaning, and am re-seasoning today.

Picked up a couple of tenderloins to try the recipe from jmott7.

From the guy who likes neither tenderloin nor shrooms, it was good! I'll keep it in the quiver!

Thank you, jmott7

Comment

• jmott7
                  jmott7 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Glad you liked it.

Cherry wood smoked barbecue meatloaf in my Cookshack Smokette Elite. Sides were mashed potatoes and sauteed asparagus and mushroom gravy.

Comment

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sounds great, particularly the mushroom gravy. Coincidentally enough, I did my first meatloaf on the grill last week - I also used cherry cherry wood.

Sous Vide elk sirloin tip steaks with a red wine pan sauce, topped with mushrooms sautéed in ghee and some of my homemade Nebraska red grape wine. The pic says it all.

Name:	IMG_4717.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	78441

Comment

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I suppose it does

Did these last Sunday for "lunch at work" on Wednesday

Off the Charcoal on onto the Gasser for the final sizzle Note SS baking sheet to keep hams upright....

Name:	IMG_0109.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	78478

On the Cutting Board

Name:	IMG_0110.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	78479
                This is the ham on the right sliced up

Name:	IMG_0111.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	78480
                Closeup

Name:	IMG_0112.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	78481
                A Turkey Ham!

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	78482

A good time was had by all!

--Ed

Comment

Birthday celebration: Taco Bar!!! On my wife's side of the family my mother-in-law will make a favorite dish for whichever birthday is being celebrated. I am sure it comes as no surprise to anyone here that for my birthday I prefer to take the reins. Actually, my brother in law's birthday (April 22) is one day before mine so we combine the 2. Here was the menu:

Appetizers: My sister-in-law brought 7-layer Mexican dip and picked up the fixings from PF Chang's for lettuce wraps (this broke from the Tex-Mex theme, but, it happens..).
                  Main course: Meat: Grilled shrimp, pork butt and chuck roast (low and slow for the big boys, of course).
                  Accompaniments: Lettuce, tangy slaw (used vinegar, red wine vinegar, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, celery seed and sugar to tame the mouth-puckering acidity of the vinegar), grilled pineapple, jicama, black beans (drained but not rinsed, simmered in a sauce pot with the juice of 1 fresh lime and dusted with cumin), shredded Mexican cheese (big bag from Costco), tomato, avocado, sautéed red bell pepper, green pepper, poblano, jalapeño and red onion (this was done in a cast iron wok in the Performer using the Gourmet BBQ system from Weber - these were steeped in fresh squeezed lime juice and olive oil and they went into the wok with the marinade).
                  Condiments: Sour cream, spicy sour cream (sour cream mixed with my homemade hot sauce and a little taco sauce), taco sauce, salsa and fresh limes for squeezing.
                  Dessert: Bumpy cake, coconut cream pie (prepared and provided by my sister-in-law) and Guinness ice cream (made by my wife).

Now for the chuck roast and butt. I had a strategy. I figured that due to the small size of the meat it would probably take about 8 hours to cook. The meat was dry brined 36 hours before the cook and I used a hickory chunk and some cherry chips in the cooker. I decided to go a little higher on the heat targeting the 235-240 range. I filled the water bowl in the 14.5 WSM completely knowing from previous cooks that it would evaporate out after about 6 hours. I was thinking that once it evaporated the meat would spend the last couple of hours developing good bark as I've also found in the mini WSM bark will not develop when using water in the bowl - too much humidity. Coincidentally, I had been following a Huskee post detailing a 16 hour cook of a 4 pound butt. I posed a couple of comments including one about 8:30 yesterday morning outlining my cook. Thankfully he saw the post and informed me that he didn't think I could get it done in 8 hours without wrapping. Well, I went ahead with my strategy anyway. When it was 3:00 in the afternoon the meat was still stalled and even though I was running temps in the 250's it wasn't budging. In fact, it stalled at 169 and then cooled all of the way down to 162. And it stayed there (and probably would still be there 20 hours later had I now wrapped). So, since I wanted to serve dinner by 7:00 I bit the bullet and wrapped. The only problem was the meat had yet to develop any bark due to the humidity. Well, I decided that I would unwrap at 5:30, would keep with the 250-ish temps and would pull the meat at 6:30 allowing for an hour to develop bark. Mercifully, temperatures climbed rapidly once the meat was wrapped. By 5:30 I'd hit 199! Yay! So, I unwrapped and was pleased to discover that the meat was falling apart. I let it go for an hour and after a 20-minute rest my wife used the bear claws and shredded the meat. It wasn't cooked to perfection, but it was very good. It had decent bark, good smoke flavor and it was juicy. It also had a great smoke ring. I lightly dressed the roast with my homemade beef sauce (it's kind of like A-1). For the butt, I took some homemade KC sauce and added some fresh squeezed orange juice and some cumin and it was lightly dressed as well. The biggest takeaway from all of this is I learned that a ridiculous amount of time needs to be allotted if I want to forego wrapping. Otherwise, wrap as soon as it hits the stall, bring it up to temp, and finish unwrapped.

Here are the pics:

Name:	IMG_0091.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	78487

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	78488

This was the red/green bell pepper and the red onion in the wok on the Performer:

Name:	IMG_0098.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	78489

Here is the poblano and jalapeño in the wok:

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	78490
                  Here's the meat right after it came out of the mini WSM:

Name:	IMG_0090.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	78491

Here's the butt after it was shredded:

Name:	IMG_0096.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	78492

Here's the chuck roast after it was shredded:

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	78493

Here's the full spread (you can see the meat sitting in 2 bowls on the stove in the background):

Name:	IMG_0100.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	78494

And finally, here's an example of a plate:

Name:	IMG_0102.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	78495

Since birthdays were being celebrated gifts were given. Of particular interest to our pit master brethren, among other things I received a new metal pizza peal and the Kettle Pizza accessory for my performer. Can't wait to try it out!
                  Last edited by JeffJ; April 19, 2015, 08:14 AM.

Comment

HAPPY Birthday, Jeff!

I was following the thread yesterday, and wondered how it turned out. Sure looks GREAT! The folks here are always so helpful when we get I to trouble, don't they?!?!?! I've been saved more than once, by Huskee and others.

GREAT recovery!
                    Last edited by richinlbrg; April 19, 2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It was a combination of Aaron's timely advice and my just reading about his 16 hour cook for a 4 pound butt that caused me to switch gears and effectively save my cook.

I just had a small plate of nachos and everything tasted really good leftover/reheated, particularly the onions and peppers.

NICE SPREAD JeffJ ! You did it! I wish I lived a little closer to you Looks like it was a great evening/afternoon.

I can't speak for how a PBC performs w/o wrapping, but for conventional cookers (grills indirect, water smokers, and offsets) plan on double digit hours for any non-wrapped butt or chuck. I tend to go 10-12 hrs roughly even with wrapping, counting some cambro time on pork butts. I don't remember my average chuck time, but it's near there. As you know from my post my butt took 16hrs, David Parrish has told me he tends to go 17hrs with an unwrapped butt. Much easier if you have a SIFI cooker, but bad news if you have to man the controls on a grill or WSM.

Happy things turned out good for you, and thanks for the nice update!

Comment

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Live and learn, that 's for sure. The overall cook was exceptional and in spite of not being perfect, the butt and chuck were still very good. Thank you very much for the timely advice. Without it I very well may have stubbornly stuck to my original strategy.

• Huskee
                      Huskee commented
                      Editing a comment
                      JeffJ that's what this place is for!

• JeffJ
                      JeffJ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "I wish I lived a little closer to you"

Maybe the next time I'm heading up North I can stop off at one of your favorite watering holes for a beer.

Boneless leg of lamb down to $3.99/lb at Costco, who can resist. Did it unrolled/butterflied with MH's Sweet Potato Fries on the Grill

Name:	IMG_1500.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	78529

Name:	IMG_1501.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	78530

Name:	IMG_1504.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	78531

Name:	IMG_1502.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	78532

Comment

• richinlbrg
                      richinlbrg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      WOW

Looks GREAT!

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here