Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Burn I made some wings with the vortex tonight. Then I threw some Onions, Garlic and made some Hasselback potatoes in a cast iron skillet. Everything turned out great. (thank you Burn for the advice) I made the wings with an asian plum sauce mixed with a garlic chili paste. The vortex glazed those babies up really nice. I love that vortex. It just makes great chicken everytime. I had a lot of fun with this cook. I think next time I am going to try it like The Burn does. Cooking the wings naked, and then tossing them in sauce.

All in all, it was a good cook!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3262.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	79143 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3265.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	79144
    Attached Files

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Well done!

Simple sliders......

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      The fries look great

• Father87
      Father87 commented
      Editing a comment
      it all looks great. are the buns homemade or what?

Ernest, if I ever make a pilgrimage to Franklin's in Austin, I'm going to stop at your place in Houston. I will, of course, expect to be fed like visiting royalty.

Comment

jmott7 that's the only way I know. LOL

Comment

Some meals from this week

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          How do you do your fries?

• Quintin "Q"
          Quintin "Q" commented
          Editing a comment
          After cutting I soak them in cool water rinsing the starch off. I then blanch them ( just like frying) until the potatoes have little to no browning on them. Remove from the oil. At this point you can just let them cool for five to ten minutes or freeze them, freezing them makes unbelievably crispy and still have creamy potato in the middle. Now return them to the hot oil for the final cook. They will have great color and texture.
          In this pic I added shredded smoked Gruyere and cheddar, ranch sauce, and fried bacon bits

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with @Quintin "Q" on the fries process, especially frying them straight out of the freezer.

Here's some chili cheese fries

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Unreal man just unreal

Delicious weird combo. Steak with peanut butter spinach rice.

Comment

This weekends Brisket. 19 pounds and for a size reference that is 18 inch aluminum foil. This will be going on around 8 tomorrow night.

Name:	20150423_204336_HDR.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	79258

Comment

• The Burn
            The Burn commented
            Editing a comment
            That's a monster

For some reason, I hadn't done pork butt in a while. Half a Costco pack of boneless (the other half went to sausage) left me with about 6 1/2 lbs. Was too unwieldy to truss up the whole thing so I separated it where it seemed natural and had a 4 lb slab and a 2 1/2 lb piece that still needed tying. Oil base, Memphis Dust, left some fat on top but scored it.

Smoked with a donut around the Vortex with apple chunks. A perfect cook. Went on this morning at 6:30 and was finished around 4:30 this afternoon (no crutch). Got to sit for 2 hours and then got pulled. My best pulled pork to-date

Name:	IMG_1509.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	244.0 KB
ID:	79266

Took one to 205 and the other to 201. Fell apart at the slightest touch

Name:	IMG_1510.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	79267

Name:	IMG_1511.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	208.9 KB
ID:	79268

Made some really good tacos tonight - so glad that Step-Daughter #3 is a rabid carnivore like I am.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh my. That's beautiful!

Kathryn

Still no Q, but did some more grilling tonight, in the rain/sleet. 2 pork loins, marinated in EVOO, balsamic vinegar, Rosemary, salt and pepper. Used Kingsford blue, pulled at 135-140.

Comment

We had thunderstorms until almost noon, but it's all cleared up and the forecast said we'd hit 90 this afternoon. I don't think it got that hot, but it was a really nice day to try another recipe.

3rd try with the new Weber. Pork Belly!!! (First time to ever purchase a pork belly, and the wife was horrified that it had nipples on it!)

Instead of Apple Cider that some recipes call for, I decided to give beer a try. The Dos XX worked out well with the yellow onions.

Was pleasantly surprised by the outcome....but it could have used some pineapples in the pico de gallo.

Comment

I know I post wings a lot, but tonight's were the best looking and crispiest. Two new variables - a light, I mean light, dusting of baking powder, and I used Kingsford Competition charcoal instead of Blue in the Vortex (and the usual apple wood). That's all that's been done to these - the saucing came later.

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	79554

Name:	IMG_1519.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	79555

Comment

• richinlbrg
                richinlbrg commented
                Editing a comment
                WOW

Beautiful!

• _John_
                _John_ commented
                Editing a comment
                Those look excellent, hopefully I get one of those babies this year, my fathers day tie collection is quite extensive considering I wear about 3 a year.

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice! I did wings last night too, I guess I read the memo.

Fried calamari. Recipe is up in the seafood section

Comment

Late dinner tonight was last meal ribs(baby backs), meatheads old fashioned potato salad and fresh asparagus from the garden

Comment

• richinlbrg
                  richinlbrg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beautiful, Tim E.

Seems a bit early for asparagus....I'm envious!

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks amazing!

• Tim E
                  Tim E commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty consistent asparagus timing for my harvest here in WA. A great perk to my location I guess! Thanks for the compliments, it was really good.

Wings again

I picked up some grapevine wood and used two small pieces on tonight's 5lbs of wings on the kettle. I used Franks Buffalo sauce (with some extra butter added), fries and celery sticks with buttermilk ranch.

Name:	IMAG7147.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	302.7 KB
ID:	79631

Name:	IMAG7158.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	79632

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was going to post the BB ribs after they got done yesterday but the battery in the camera went dead. By the time I finally found the spare battery there wasn't nothing left but bones...LOL

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  DWCowles, I know they were great, your ribs always look amazing. And I assume they were on the Lil Monster stickburner?

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Huskee you can see them here > http://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/for...-and-more-ribs

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here