Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad to see all these cooking photos. Keep 'em coming folks. After all, as my GF said to me tonight after watching me joyfully grind 10 lbs of chuck and pork and pattying it into hamburgers: Meat is my hobby

Comment

Getting ready for fight night. 11 pounds of beef short ribs (4 full racks). I'll dry brine these Starting Wednesday night. Throw some wings and hotdogs and have ourselves a wild day.

Comment

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ernest,

When are you going to square off your PBC against your WSM and find out once and for all which is the better cooker? I can guarantee I am not the only one in the Pit who is interested in seeing these 2 gems go head-to-head.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        PBC!!!

Grilled pork loin chops, veggie kabobs and sweet potatoes. Trying my best to eat healthy Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0026.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	80128
      Last edited by DWCowles; April 28, 2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks plenty healthy to me!

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        The beautiful thing about eating healthy is that it doesn't have to translate into eating bland, flavorless food. That plate of food looks delicious.

Indoor style Steakhouse Steakburger night at Wartface's house tonight... Including glop and my homemade Brioche hamburger buns.

Comment

BBQ Chicken with carrrot/jicma slaw... looks like a meteor landing, but good

Click image for larger version

Name:	chickenbbq.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	80195

Comment

Not exactly sure why I'm posting another chicken grilling, but.......for those interested, same recipe (lemon, EVOO, garlic, salt and pepper and Rosemary - fresh batch), Kingsford blue. Different chicken, same result. Pulled just short of 160*F.

Nice and juicey again.

Comment

Last night at home before heading back out for three long weeks. Here we have smoked pork tenderloin on the Weber Performer with a sauce that I made up with Peach Preserves and Black Swan "Beso del Fuego" BBQ sauce mix together, grilled aspsragus and what I called pepper potatoes. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0032.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	80239
            Last edited by DWCowles; April 30, 2015, 12:15 AM.

Comment

• richinlbrg
              richinlbrg commented
              Editing a comment
              WOW, DW! Looks great! What a way to wind up your stay at home!

Safe travels! We look forward to seeing you on the other side.

Monday it rained, so, chicken noodle soup. After I cook a whole chicken I toss the carcass in the freezer and along with onion, celery, carrot, some raw chicken parts, etc I use it to make chicken stock. The stock turns out really good and I freeze it in various sized containers for future use. Chicken noodle soup is really basic but I've developed a couple of tricks to make it kind of special. I start by chopping onion, celery and carrot and tossing them into the pot with a couple of TB of olive oil. I hit them with a little salt, pepper, oregano, parsley and a bay leaf. After they've softened I add cubed (previously dry-brined) chicken breasts and the homemade stock. It takes about 20 minutes for the chicken to cook through and by cooking it directly in the stock the chicken, along with the veggies the broth becomes supercharged with good chicken flavor. I boil the noodles separately. I cook them al dente and I add chicken base to the boiling water which helps infuse the noodles with chicken flavor. I add the noodles to the pot (which is now still really hot but the burner has been turned off), cover and let the whole thing sit for 10-15 minutes. I then fill my sink up with ice water and plunge to pot into it until it cools. Once it cools I move it to the 'fridge for later consumption. I use the ice water because the last pot I made turned sour and upon doing some research I learned that when dealing with chicken soup it's best to cool it as fast as possible.

I believe that the big chicken flavor of the broth and not over-cooking the chicken (which keeps it tender) are what set this soup apart from a run-of-the-mill pot of chicken noodle soup.

This is what it looked like:

Name:	IMG_0106.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	80296

Comment

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Sweet, I make my own chicken broth also, but have never used carcasses from cooked chickens. Usually buy three birds at a time, and debone,... freezing the breast and thighs, and using the legs, wings and skeleton in a crock pot (with just a little bit of salt, and one onion (skin included, for color). Reduce and freeze in straight mason jars. Have recently started making fresh pasta, so this looks to be a project/meal I might enjoy.

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I highly recommend carrot, celery, bay leaf and cracked pepper. All of those seem to work really well with chicken broth.

• TheCountofQ
              TheCountofQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, those are all good. My philosophy on that is to have the broth as more of a blank slate, allowing to vary what else goes in from one meal/use to the next. Celery is the one item I've been considering adding to the base bone broth, as it doesn't store well for long, and I don't often use it. That bowl of soup you have there sure looks beautiful!!

On Tuesday the weather was nice so I made grilled ratatouille. I chopped red onion, sweet bell pepper and mushrooms and marinated them in basalmic vinegar and olive oil. I sliced a zucchini and summer squash lengthwise, brushed them with olive oil and seasoned them with salt and pepper. I also cut up cucumber and tomato. I started by taking a dry-brined flank steak and cooking it very quickly, with direct heat, to medium rare. I then grilled both sides of the squash and zucchini. When they were done I coarsely chopped them. I tossed the marinated veggies into a grill basket and cooked them over direct heat until they developed some char. All of the food was cut into bite-sized chunks and mixed together in the bowl that still had a bit of residual marinade in it. I was aiming for a variety of flavors and textures. The marinated veggies obviously carried some of the flavor of the sauce. The squash and zucchini had a nice BBQ flavor sans marinade. The flank steak added some needed protein and beef flavor. The tomatoes and cucumber added crunch and raw veggie flavor.

Here are the pics:

Name:	IMG_0115.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	80301

Name:	IMG_0113.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	80302

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	80303

Name:	IMG_0117.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	187.4 KB
ID:	80305
            Attached Files

Comment

• JeffJ
              JeffJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I was having a lot of technical problems. I'll post the final pic in a moment.

This is the compete dish:

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	80308

Comment

NY Strips... I forgot to show the chimichurri sauce... oh well.

Comment

• JeffJ
                JeffJ commented
                Editing a comment
                Cooked right on the chimney! Nicely done!

• DWCowles
                DWCowles commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice smarkley

Salt and pepper ribs......that's it, no rub

Fantastic results. Less is more.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                Only 1/4 basket of coals for those ribs? How long did they take at what PBC temp, Ernest?

Kathryn

• Ernest
                Ernest commented
                Editing a comment
                Ozark oak lump charcoal, six hours at 230 degrees. I used the Weber compact chimney worth of charcoal.

Been a busy day, started at 6:30 am

Preburning my wood for the PBC. I told y'all I'd do it

Extra preburnt chunks ready

Wings on the Big Worm

These are ready.

Kabobs on the performer.

Comment

Comment

• fzxdoc
                  fzxdoc commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beeeooootiful!

Kathryn

• JeffJ
                  JeffJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is seriously impressive, Ernest. I don't even know what else to say.

Beef Satay with Peanut Sauce

Name:	IMG_1535.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	80663

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here