Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was chemically inconvenienced by bourbon and had the munchies. Oh don't act like you don't get the munchies from drinking.
    Diced up some leftover smoked beef, poured out some olive oil in a pan, dropped in some anchovy fillets, an obscene amount of grated garlic. Let it bubble gently.

Got the beef in there, let it get happy while I boil some pasta.
    Hey this looks dull!

Aaaaahh, a hand full of arugula. Much better

Let's eat

Comment

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve Vojtek add them to onions when you saute for stews etc. Mash em and add to dips, lay em on burgers and sandwiches.
      Most people love them as long as they do not see you or know that you added them to food.

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      When finely chopped anchovies really can amp up the flavor of a dish.

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks,
      I'm normally a lateral thinker but never applied it to cooking. I guess it's a by product of eating takeaway and following other peoples recipes most of my life ...but this old dog can learn new tricks - soaking it up like a sponge.....I'm sooo glad i found AR.....Appreciated..just like anchovies maybe i can find other uses for vegemite other than spreading it on toast with a sunny side up egg on top...Eyes wide open now!...
      Last edited by Steve Vojtek; May 12, 2015, 05:16 AM. Reason: mistake - i'm only human...

Tonight's dinner with friends. Filet mignon reversed seared in the the BGE. Fettuccine Alfredo, asparagus and bernasise sauce and my sourdough ciabatta bread, also baked on the BGE. A few good bottles of wine and everyone was very pleased.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Perfecto, Wartface!

Kathryn

• Breadhead
      Breadhead commented
      Editing a comment
      Steve... Hollandaise sauce is the base sauce for bernaise sauce. Before you start making your hollandaise sauce do a reduction of white wine vinegar and terragon. You just need a tablespoon or 2 of that reduction to add to your hollandaise and you have Bernaise.

Alfredo sauce is simple Simon. I think people get goofy with it adding butter and all kinds of unneeded ingredients. All I do is add finely chopped garlic to a hot pan and sear it, open it for like 30 seconds. Then I pour in heavy whipping cream and let it come to a boil and then reduce the heat. Put the fettuccine noddles in to rewarm them and when the noddles are at the right temp start adding the Parmesan cheese. Want it creamy use less cheese. Want it not so creamy, use more cheese. Add fresh ground pepper at the table.

Alfredo sauce on a pizza sounds delightful... Hmmm, might have to try that.

Want a sourdough starter? First you need a digital scale. They are $15 on Amazon.

Do this... Get a cereal bowl. Pour in 50 grams of bread flour, 50 grams of Whole Wheat flour and 100 grams of water. Stir it up a little bit and wrap it with plastic wrap. Leave it on your counter top for 48 hours. Then pour half of it down your drain. Add 25 grams of bread flour, 25 grams of WW flour and 50 grams of water. Do the dump and feed daily from this point on. About day 3 or 4 you will have what looks like an active sourdough starter, but don't let that fool you.

After its initial bloom it will go flat and to a novice he will be discourage and quit feeding what he thinks is a dead horse. Think of it as the "Stall" like in BBQ. What's happening inside your starter is the 2 bacteria are battling for position and they quit producing Co2... No bubbles! That battle will go on for about 5 to 7 days. Then one morning you will wake up and see your very active sourdough starter that is ready to go to work. That will happen on day 10 to 14. When that second bloom happens get a small cup, fill it with water, scoop out a teaspoon of your starter, drop it in the water and if it floats... It's ready to bake a loaf of bread with. It's that simple!

The biggest hustle in the baking industry is selling novices a sourdough starter kit!!! There is wild yeast everywhere in the world and has been forever. ALL bread was sourdough bread for 1000's of years... Until someone figured out how to manufacture Active Dry Yeast.

When you are ready to make a loaf of bread feed your starter more flour and more water in the same weight percentages so you have some left over to feed for your next loaf. If you need 500 grams for your recipe. Dump out half of the 200 grams we've been using to get it started. Add 125g of bread flour, 125g of WW flour and 250g of water. In about 4 to 6 hours you will have 600g of an active sourdough starter that will pass the float test. Use your 500g for your recipe and you will 100g left over to feed for your next loaf. It is really very simple once you figure it out.
      Last edited by Breadhead; May 10, 2015, 11:43 PM. Reason: Spelling corrections

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow Thank You!
      That is the most detailed instruction on how to create sourdough starter I've seen - I've seen a handful or two - and i'm gonna copy and paste it into a text file. Thanks for the info on the bernaise and the alfredo - i use butter but i'll try it your way ...
      Last edited by Steve Vojtek; May 11, 2015, 04:10 AM. Reason: a little correction

I had only planned to do pastrami today, but #1's daughter and her son are coming over, and the son LOVESI my ribs........but uneasoned and un-sauced. I had an extra rack of BBs in the fridge, so quick trimmed them and threw on some salt. Only had about an hour to dry brine, but.....oh well.

My neighbors might not be happy about smelling smoke so early in the morning. LOL

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      When you said unseasoned I was thinking "what's wrong with people?".... glad to hear he at least likes salt, that's way better. An hour is plenty for dry brining ribs. They'll still be dry brining during the several hours of cooking.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      We all have different tastes.....so I am told. Personally, I think I've just not gotten him exposed to well seasoned/sauced BBs. I take it as a personal challenge!

Doing some money muscle sammies with slaw and grown up mustard sauce for today. Pulled pork for the week. Love cooking for the week!

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Ditto on cooking for the week, butt not doing that today.

• JeffJ
      JeffJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Cooking for the week is definitely fun. No doubt. It doesn't hurt that you have a near perfect assortment of cookers - Weber gasser, PBC and Performer Kettle. It don't get much better than that.

Mother's Day late lunch. Roasted pureed squash, mushroom Marsala sauce and.......... Duck confit

Comment

• Steve Vojtek
      Steve Vojtek commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome......drooling on my keyboard......

Well, smoked ribs and pastrami, and fired up the grill for chicken lunch. Here is the meteorite which should be pastrami Monday or Tuesday. The WSM runs much better since I installed the nomex gasket. Ran about 11 hours, no crutch. A long stall at 160, then went to 180, before the second stall, when I pulled it. I'll let the steaming finish it and will report back.
    Last edited by richinlbrg; May 14, 2015, 05:28 PM. Reason: Update to show steamed pastrami

Comment

My wife is a chocoholic and I'm a pieholic. Compromise....

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice pie, but I've never heard of chocohol, or pieohol....

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Now you have Huskee, now you have!

5 pizzas for Mother's Day! 4 were cooked in the kettle pizza.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	82356

This pic is from last week's test run. Because it was getting dark it was a cooler looking pic than today's. I cooked these at my wife's parents' (we did brunch with my mom). Since I have so many accessories for the 22.5" my wife came up with the clever idea of getting her mom and OTG 22.5" Weber kettle for Mom's Day. Since we spend most Sundays at her parents' place I can now properly cook over there!

I made 2 quasi Margharreta pies. A brushed the pie with a little olive oil and hit it with a very small amount of homemade pizza sauce. Then, chopped sun-dried tomatoes and topped with feta and fresh mozzarella. When it came out of the cooker I hit it with chopped basil.

Name:	IMG_0130.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	239.1 KB
ID:	82357

I did a plain old pepperoni using provolone as my choice of cheese.

Name:	IMG_0131.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	170.9 KB
ID:	82358

I cooked a 'Sicilian' pizza. To the sauce I added some fresh squeezed orange juice and homemade hot sauce. The toppings (which were at the bottom) were Bob Evans spicy sausage, chopped sweet bell pepper and caramelized onions. I topped this with fresh mozzarella cheese looking to have the mellow creaminess of the cheese provide balance for the assertiveness of the sauce and toppings.

Name:	IMG_0133.JPG
Views:	173
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	82359

The last pizza was a chicago style and this was cooked in the oven. After laying down the dough into the pan I added Bob Evans spicy sausage, chopped pepperoni and chopped/cubed proscuito. On top of that I layered mozzarella and provolone. For the sauce I took a large can of crushed tomatoes and drained the juice. I added a little salt and a few table spoons of my standard sauce to give it better consistency. This sauce is intended to be a simple and sweet complement to the bold "toppings". When it came out of the oven I grated some fresh parmesan onto the pie. Here are the pics:

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	82361

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	82360

Name:	IMG_0128.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	82362

Name:	IMG_0132.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	82363

I did not use pans in the kettle. All pies cooked in the KettlePizza were on a stone and the logs that were used for the fire were oak. My brother in law made a nice salad to accompany the pizzas and we had pecan pie for dessert. Many Bells Oberon beers were consumed during the process of cooking the pizzas.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang, that's some good stuff. And Bell's Oberon as well.

Nice... Very nice!

Comment

My first pulled pork....Followed MH's recipe with Memphis Dust..
        I know these have been posted here lots but this is my first one and i have to share.
        It's only a small one ( about 2 pounds of boneless shoulder ) but i'm learning and like to start small..
        I took about 8 hours with a couple of 'stalls' first one not too bad but the second one roundabout 170ish took about 1.5ish hours but i didn't wrap i just took the t [ATTACH=CONFIG]n82410[/ATTACH] emp up to 275 as suggested by MH..
        WOW where have you been all my life pulled pork! Awesome .
        Some parts were a little bit drier than others but it was still awesome.
        Ignorance is bliss and i have nothing to compare it to yet - but next time armed with a little more knowledge it will be 225 all the way ( i'll just get up earlier)...BTW i did this at work in a Davy Crockett - once finished wrapped in lots of aluminium foil and a thick towel - put in a small cardboard box and when i got home (only 10 minutes drive) it was still hot.And there were still some crunchy bits - loved those.. Anyway ....some pics....
        Last edited by Steve Vojtek; May 11, 2015, 05:39 AM.

Comment

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice cook for your first try. Great smoke ring too. Pat yourself on the back. And by the way, we ALL learned from Meathead.

• Steve Vojtek
          Steve Vojtek commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank You for your comment - patting myself right now....And just between me and You i would have paid double for the membership - it's soo worth it - but don't tell MH.......

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Steve Vojtek... Ok, I'll keep the secret.

My daughter made chicken kabobs for Mother's Day. Here they are on the gasser.

Comment

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Those look nice.

• IrondeQuer
          IrondeQuer commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Jeff. They're remarkably good for how simple they are to make.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Puuurdy!

Spice-rubbed Flat Iron Steak

Name:	IMG_1558.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	82538

Name:	IMG_1559.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	82539

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Holy cow, yum

• David Parrish
          David Parrish commented
          Editing a comment
          Wowzers that looks like good eatin.

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Huskee and David Parrish! It was incredibly tender. Even the leftovers the next day nuked were tender as fajitas. Wish I could find Flat Iron more often at a decent price.

@DW--Loved the pork sandwich! This past week, I tried some dry-rub ribs. First time home smoking.

Comment

Ribeye served with morel mushroom, red wine cream sauce reduction. Artichoke on the side.

Comment

Today was Ciabatta bread on the BGE...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here