Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MH's Saucy Brats

Comment

PBC Thighs with my handy dandy special poultry rub... before the wind kicks up...

Click image for larger version

Name:	thighs3.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	79721 Click image for larger version

Name:	thighs4.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	79722

Comment

• cdd315
        cdd315 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wooh, nice smarkley .. will you share those rub's some time?

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        Sure I will share the rubs sometime... need a little more work though

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! Those thighs look amazing. The color is phenomenal.

Yum, Steve! Those chicken thighs look perfect.

How long did they take on the PBC? Did you have to sear them or did they turn that nice color all by their lonesome?

Kathryn

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        Kathryn... These thighs took just under an hour on the PBC. They were not seared, I cooked with both rods out... and the skin got ultra crunchy!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow, I've got to give that a try. Thanks, Steve!

Kathryn

Little pork butt for pullin action today:

Last edited by Jon Solberg; April 26, 2015, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome Jon... perfect, in fact is what we all shoot for.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! Kettle? wink wink.

• JeffJ
        JeffJ commented
        Editing a comment
        Excellent work, Jon.

Getting a late start on these. Will be the wee hours of the morning before they come off.

Comment

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Thx. This is my first cook with it. A little over 8.5 lbs of Plate Short Ribs, currently cruising at 225F. Salted 22hours prior, sitting uncovered in the fridge since. Rubbed with freshly cracked black pepper, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, New Mexico Chili power, paprika, mustard powder, and a little bit of white sugar. Seven Oz of white oak buried near the beginning of a demi-fuse burn off Stubbs. Put on straight from the fridge as the smoke thinned from start up. Water pan on heat deflector. Storms expected in a few hours, so rain but it's under the porch. Stoker log chart will be posted later. ..

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        TheCountofQ oh man! That is a superb cook! 8.5lbs of plate short ribs. Oak. Long dry brine. Man oh man. Where do you live???

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Ran into a bit of trouble, but salvageable I am sure. Tried a different layout for the charcoal, and there just want enough. It's the first time I've ever had to restock since getting the Stoker. More of a hick up (mid cook) than I've ever had before. Then again, it's only my third cook with it. I didn't oil before rubbing this time, relying on the drying effect of the fridge to help the bark, and the rendering fat from the meat for the spices. That may have been a mistake on both counts. I also cut way back on salt, as the first ones were a little heavy on it I think. I assumed t was due to shrinking so much. Kind of like salting a broth then reducing it. Anyway, I don't think they will be as good as my first batch, but I doubt they will go uneaten.
        Last edited by TheCountofQ; April 26, 2015, 09:40 PM.

More chicken grilled tonight.

Marinated in lemon garlic thyme and EVOO. Taken off at 160*F. Good flavor and juicy.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Now THAT'S some juicy chicken! All hail 160* chicken breasts.

The granddaughter wanted Papaw to cook her a steak for her 17th birthday so we all had Ribeye steaks, grilled Shrimp, grill Asparagus and loaded bake potato salad. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0017.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	79819

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        If your granddaughter asked for steak I'd say you raised well!! Fantastic DWCowles

• TheCountofQ
        TheCountofQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I spy some grilled shrimp in the background too. Surf and turf birthday!!!

GIT IN MY BELLLLLLYYYYY!

Comment

This is from yesterday (Saturday).
        Prepped the ribs, a double pack from Sam's club, Friday night. Pulled the membrane, trimmed the best I could like they do on TV, then dusted with memphis dust (very lightly). I've gotten carried away with the rub in the past. Wrapped in plastic wrap and put in the fridge. Pulled them out of the fridge about 9am Saturday. Went in the SmokinTex 1400 at 10am. Wood wise, 2 chunks of mesquite and 2 briquettes. Turned the temp to 225*. 5.5 hours, i tried the bend test and they were perfect. One problem, tators weren't done baking yet. so turned them down to 200, and let them wait while we waited 30 mins for the tators. Pulled them at 6 hours, and let them sit for about 15 mins then cut.

They were DELICIOUS. However, they were a little dry and overcooked. The meat fell of the bone on several. This was my fault obviously. A couple of things that I need to address.
        --i think the flavor of the rub is good, but seems a little heavy on the paprika. It leaves that flat feeling in your mouth that comes from only paprika. Not sure how to go about fixing that other than to just cut out some of the paprika.
        --The smoke flavor was there, but the smoke ring was VERY thin (see the pictures), any suggestions?
        --Feedback is welcome!
        (Apologies for the bad pictures)

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          On your other post I mentioned the lack of smoke ring in electrics, it's due to the different combustion on electrics vs the others. You did right by adding a couple briquets though, otherwise you'd have none.

Regarding the flat taste- do you dry brine separately and use unsalted MD? I recommend adding a dash if finishing salt to the ribs after the MD. That will add the little sparkle back to the crust that an unsalted rub can leave out. Or, yeah, use less paprika. Regular storebought paprika is largely flavorless, mostly just for color, and being flavorless it can sort of negate other flavors in my opinion, kind of the 'watered down' effect so to speak (again, my opinion). I don't use paprika except on deviled eggs as a splash of color.

• 1buba
          1buba commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Huskee. Makes perfect sense.
          I usually put a little salt 12-24 hours before cooking. On a rack like one of these, probably 3 tablespoons.
          I've been thinking of adding some Accent, or something like that.
          Interesting about not cooking with paprika. I had some Hungarian once that burned my head off. This bottle came from Amazon and it's "sweet". Maybe i'll cut the paprika in half just to keep some of that nice color and if i still have that flat coating in my mouth, just get rid of it completely.

Thanks again!

A nice Spring day of eating 'Cue. Had a yummy pulled pork sandwich with melted provolone, pickles and onions for lunch.

Name:	IMG_1520.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	79863

Then the womenfolk decided we were having crepes for dinner, so I Vortexed a chicken with MH's Poultry Seasoning. First time I used that rub and everyone really liked it, me included.

Name:	IMG_1522.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	79864

Name:	IMG_1523.jpg
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	79865

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Tim. Huskee - same here and also for, and even better with, pulled beef.

• JeffJ
          JeffJ commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice work keeping the chicken moist. It's not an easy feat.

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          JeffJ - Thanks, but I don't know that I can take any credit. All I did was salt it for a few hours, then put on the rub (under and on the skin) and then sprayed it with some EVOO. The Vortex did the rest.

Try my skills out on a couple of boneless turkey breasts...not bad...not bad at all Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0021.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	434.6 KB
ID:	79898 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0022.JPG
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	79899

Comment

• TheCountofQ
          TheCountofQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Beautiful !!!

It was a long, slow, & agonizing cook that I am not happy with. Fought the temps all along the way, but kept it under control. None of the spices in the rub survived tasted like pot roast with a crust. My first BSR cook produced tender nuggets of meat that exploded with intense beefy flavor, had a pleasant smokiness (Hickory), & a crispy flavorful bark (only black pepper, Cumin, Garlic Powder, N.M. Chili Powder, and a heavier long dry brine it). Of course, they were Chuck Ribs and not in a slab. I learned how NOT to set up my charcoal, and will adjust back to where I could get 24 hours a cook, I think,...or something closer to it. Have got some troubleshooting to do with these Beef Ribs though.Click image for larger version

Name:	20150427_042048.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	79908 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (12).png
Views:	395
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	79909
        Last edited by TheCountofQ; April 27, 2015, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Ya know sometimes smoke and salt is all ya need.

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            and pepper

• Jon Solberg
            Jon Solberg commented
            Editing a comment
            fun wrecker ; )

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            ...and beer...

My grandson can't enough maple fatties. This one is using Mad Hunky GP rub and was cooked on a Weber kettle with hickory wood.

Comment

Did a Lo-N-Slo Pork Shoulder this weekend. Rubbed down with Rudy's rub and cooked 18 hrs on the BSK (no electronics) at 250 degrees. Toasted the buns on the BSK Baking Steel and made a BBQ sauce with some Apple Pie moonshine (store bought shine and I made the Apple Pie version of it). Been a long time since I have smoked anything and it turned out really good, so I thought I would share. Thanks for viewing.

Name:	20150425_2007041.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	80013 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150426_1404271.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	80012 Click image for larger version

Name:	20150426_1505081.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	80011

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              this looks great!! awesome to see another pit member with a keg. we are few and far between in here.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here