Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show us what you're cooking - 3/13/2015 through 9/9/2015

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just tossed a few countries on the SnS:

Comment

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, Jon Solberg , asking for some help. Just picked up some country ribs that were 1/2 off. How did you cook thess, Ndola hate wouldyou do differently next time?

• Jon Solberg
      Jon Solberg commented
      Editing a comment
      MMD 225 till 135 IT. just a bit of sear that's it.

• richinlbrg
      richinlbrg commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Jon Solberg !! That is how I will do them!

Some Cajun wangs on LIL Smokey.....

Get em off the cooker and give em some more Cajun love

And it's eat time.....

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm coming to the Big D for plating & food photog lessons ... What'd you drizzle on there at the end?

• Ernest
      Ernest commented
      Editing a comment
      I made a cajun honey mustard dipping sauce.

Staying out of the rain tonight and cooked inside - Shrimp Stir-Fry

Click image for larger version

Name:	19123064929_0416fdb1db_o.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	93721

Comment

I (and if I recall correctly another person or two here) will unfortunately be working ALL this coming holiday weekend.

In my area the forecast for the weekend is as follows:

Name:	4th forecast.PNG
Views:	219
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	93817

Beautiful eh? Yes, yes it is. While I sleep!!

So, my request of all you good folks is to let me/us live vicariously through all of you, and make sure to post some nice bragging pictures of all your meaty smokey goodness this weekend!

I'm counting on you!
      Last edited by Huskee; July 1, 2015, 11:08 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee I will be thinking about you when I toss that log in the firebox while drinking a cold brew. 😎

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks DWCowles! I'll get some of that in tonight and tomorrow. Right now I'm doing 2 small pork butts and one small chuck roast on the kettle w/ SnS. I should take a picture and post it....

• DWCowles
        DWCowles commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes you should

Two ~4lb pork butts and one ~3lb chuck roast on the Web w/ Slow 'N Sear today.

Pork butts dry brined in my rib rub 24 hrs, chucky dry brined in salt 24 hrs then a fresh batch of BBBR added this morning as the coals were heating. No mustard or oil on either.

This pic was about 6.5 hrs in, just as I decided to refill her. I didn't really need to per se, it was still humming along at 226 when this shot was taken. But the water needed refilling and so I gave her a complete reboot right after this shot.

Chuck roast is the farthest back. I hope to have dinner tonight for the fam and some leftovers for at work.

Name:	IMAG7703.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	93843

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Huskee nice cook!

• richinlbrg
        richinlbrg commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks GREAT, Huskee !!

Sorry about your "holiday" weekend, butt......

• smarkley
        smarkley commented
        Editing a comment
        Yummy Yumm Yumm!

I am officially starving now.

Gearing up for the holiday weekend:

Rotisserie Chicken Breasts on the gasser for a sick friend:

GMG DB got a workout.

Cured Bone in pork loin for "Windsor Loin" on the 4th. Will be reheated with cherry sauce

A couple Breakfast Fatties for the neighbors at the lake.

My finger on the Amazn Smoke Tube.

Comment

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        OH YEEEAAH BUDDY!! OH YEEEAAH!

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        Ouch!

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        That's gotta hurt! Talk about a non- habit-forming experience. All in the line of duty, though. Hope it feels better soon.

Kathryn

Not doing much this weekend. BUT.......

Comment

This is a retirement gift for a coworker. I gave her a "Brisket Certificate" on her last day. It had been wet-aging since the end of May. It was wrapped in butcher paper at 190 internal. It is now down to 166 internal ( let cool in the BP). Time for foil and the freezer until cool enough to go in the fridge. Reheat Saturday for delivery around noon-ish.

Chopping up two tomorrow night, and I have 2 "ordered" for next Friday.

Name:	P1010046.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	181.5 KB
ID:	94245

Name:	P1010045.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	94246

Comment

My first ever Country style ribs. I followed Meathead's recipe exactly but I did substitute the sauce to Rufus Teague's BBQ sauce. I did it on my Big Green Egg. No plate setter and 2 grates. One on the fire ring and one down low 2" from the lump. When you bake on a BGE at 225° with the lid down it is an oven with NO flames. I baked it until the IT was 125° and then remove the meat and the top grate. I mopped the meat with more BBQ sauce and put it back on down low to the lump and left the lid open but, didn't open the bottom vent. I wanted hotter heat but not roaring heat because I didn't want to burn the sauce. All came out nicely for my first try at Country style ribs...
      Last edited by Breadhead; July 2, 2015, 08:22 PM.

Comment

Inspired by a thread I no longer see, I bought a tri tip on Tuesday. Dry brined it after I bought it and wrapped it in plastic wrap. Last night, I fired up my Weber kettle and the Smokenator with the PartyQ. Had a major temp spike for some reason upon starting. Temp got over 300 for a bit, which affected my edge to edge med rare. Used about 2 oz of apple for just a touch of smoke. Out of red oak. Actually, I have never had red oak. I guess I need to get some for the true tri tip experience. I use a " beater" Weber for the reverse sear with fire bricks under the coal grate to get close to the food grate. I used my new toy, an IR gun thermometer. The reading was 962 degrees!! Put the tri tip on after it hit 115 and turned every 30-45 weconds. Got a great crust. I used the BBBR for my rub. The meat was just over 2 lbs. and me, my wife and teenaged son ate it all. My son did the most damage as the wife and I had crab legs as well.

I have ordered the SnS and when I get it, I will be able to slow cook and sear on the same platform, a big plus. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2719.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	94258 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2706.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	121.8 KB
ID:	94259 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2713.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	94260 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2710.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	94261 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2707.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	94262 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2711.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	94263

Comment

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          No, the last time I got tri tip it was $8.99 a lb. The butcher at Publix says it never goes on sale. No demand apparently. At that price point, I can get ribeyes for roughly the same price at Restaurant Depot.

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          I am curious as to what prices other people are paying

• Greasy
          Greasy commented
          Editing a comment
          Out here on Oahu I just saw USDA choice Tri Tip on sale at Safeway for 7.99. I think that's the same price as it is at Costco. It's pretty common out here.

Chicken Thighs on the SnS. For those of you in the Southwest, this was supposed to be a close knock-off of El Pollo Loco chicken according to the Orange County (CA) Register. While it was good, it's not what I remember from the crazy chicken. Although I had some temp issues (I think I have some new leaks in my kettle after the lid got blown/pulled off last week), the SnS still did a great job.

Name:	19340469656_18d51c2547_o.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	94279

Did these with some applewood chunks after a 5-hour marinade; got nice, crispy skin

Name:	19178915850_619df3f2bc_o.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	94280

And served them with Cuban-style Frijoles Negros (black beans).

Name:	19366560205_5c321864bf_o.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	94281

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks perfect! That was almost me last night actually. I was heading to the freezer to pull out a pack of skin-on thighs. Then in the fridge I discovered some hamburger that needed used up so we had burgers instead. Incidentally glad I did, they were in the top 3 burger meals I've ever made.

Wow that looks incredible!! I've never seen chicken that good looking. Damn, I might have to go and buy a weber and get the SNS. Can you buy those yet or are they still in the trial phase of things?

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I think I'm going to be joining Huskee in the chicken thigh fan club after these.

They sold out the first 100 of the Limited Edition and I believe they are taking pre-orders for mid-July now.

• Ernest
          Ernest commented
          Editing a comment
          I just pre ordered mine a few days ago.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          ABCbarbecue.com, taking preorders, should ship mid July, 15-20th range.

Time to give it rest, wrapped in towel.

Comment

• The Burn
          The Burn commented
          Editing a comment
          Damn, that looks good enough to eat! :-)

Last night's burger. Just a dumb ol' burger. But it was in the top 3 I've ever made.

Thick, preground chuck patties with generous dose of Southern Flavor seasoning.

This time I cooked them hot 'n fast with the Slow 'N Sear, the 325 method, indirect. I much prefer this over the lower temp cooking of burgers. Took them to an IT of 158 instead of 165.

Made a fresh batch of Meathead's Burger Glop (with Duke's mayo). Mmmm.
        Oven-toasted buttered buns.
        Sharp cheddar.

Daaaang. Sometimes I forget just how good good food can be, even something so simple as a burger.

Name:	burger.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	94303

Comment

• _John_
          _John_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great, i'm a black and bleu guy myself, all the fruits and veggies should have been fed to the cow.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          _John_ I know a lot of people are that way, I used to be too but have started coming around to being more of an omnivore the last few years. I love me some juicy tomato on a juicy burger, if it doesn't run down your arm you did something wrong! The lettuce is simply there for color, I'm kind of indifferent to it.

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          That looks great, Huskee !!

#1 said the burgers I did Thursday night were one of the best ever - super simple. 80/20, s&p, reverse sear and American cheese. Lettuce, tomato and onion to taste.

For some reason I've been trending away from tomato on my burger - dunno why.

Brisket is getting wrapped and ready to rest. She's tired. Been working in smoke all day long!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here