Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to the Pit Cutestory from NE Washington state. Along with tips, techniques, and recipes about BBQ we have a lot of fun. If you like music, go to this thread to hear what others are listening to and share what you like. For jokes, go to this thread. Go to this thread to post where you work and what your hobbies are and get to know other members here. We are happy to have you along and looking forward to your participation. Now, pull that trigger so I can welcome you to the KBQ club!

Comment

• DuckinBBQ
      DuckinBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome. Great group of people here.....

First trip out with the KBQ!!!!!! Cooked with offsets for years, so we will see how this adventure goes today....

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0296.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.62 MB ID:	509834Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0297.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.72 MB ID:	509835
    Last edited by DuckinBBQ; June 2, 2018, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Best of luck with the first cook!

• KBQ
      KBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Those pavers look like Panorama by Willamette Graystone, which I designed on a weekday!

looks like a great patio to enjoy! There are lots of previous posts to look over and glean a bit "a lot"of knowledge from.
    best to you and your new q
    p.s.
    special attention to Bill is highly recommended!

Comment

The Butt went on at 8am. It is now 10:45pm. Still grinding away. It was 10.5lbs when placed into the KBQ. Running out of drinks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	510165

Comment

Spinaker overeasy Thank you gentleman....And the grind is on. Salad for breakfast, yogurt for lunch....When this guy is done, it is on!!!!!! Two more 'hard' ciders in the fridge!!!! Not sure which one will win out!!!! Internal temp at 185.

Comment

You and I are both at it DuckinBBQ.
        I have stopped doing "Quantity" smokings and started doing "Quality" smokings.
        -
        Here is my new "Home Built" Searing Station ready to "Rock"!
        I call it S.S.S. (my "Serious Searing Station")

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180602_090433.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.48 MB ID:	510173Click image for larger version  Name:	20180602_114355.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.82 MB ID:	510174Click image for larger version  Name:	20180602_122214.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.23 MB ID:	510175Click image for larger version  Name:	Serious Sear.jpg Views:	1 Size:	230.7 KB ID:	510177
        My KBQ racks sit nicely across the brick walls.
        Added oil absorbent below in an "under the car" type drip pan prevents sooty fires and black smoke coatings.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180602_122756.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.85 MB ID:	510176 Click image for larger version  Name:	20180602_122826.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	513339

Pulled a nice Prime Angus packer from the vacuum pack where it had been dry brining.
        Seared it with a weed burner after adjusting the flame to a nice blue roaring inferno.
        Check out the color of that sear! Woo Hoo!
        -
        This fine packer is currently smoking in one of the KBQ smokers with Mesquite.
        Needs more smoke!
        Am running really clean, so it is tough to get dark bark.
        (Note the color of the manifold in the back as well as the sides that support the racks in the "Before" and "After" Spritz photos below)

Click image for larger version  Name:	20180603_001343.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.91 MB ID:	513337Click image for larger version  Name:	20180602_210056.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	510178
        Before Spritz ^ (Dry Spots) - - - - - After Spritz ^ (Light FINE Mist)

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mesquite Smoked.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	510222 Click image for larger version  Name:	20180603_192827.jpg Views:	1 Size:	835.3 KB ID:	513338

Running the point to the rear of the smoker, and the fat cap down.
        Well at 2 AM it had been KBQ smoking at 225°F to 230°F for a lucky 13 hours and internal temp was at 172°F in the sweet spot.
        Color is pretty good, but still not as nice as your "Clod".
        Pulled, spritzed, wrapped tightly and put it in the electric oven set at 250°F.
        Want to retain a bit of moisture.
        -
        It is now coming up 4 AM here in Phoenix and the edges at about 2" in are still pretty tough.
        The center is definitely tougher so we have a ways to go still.
        When I opened it there was plenty of spurge in there

Smoke On!
        Last edited by BBQ_Bill; June 9, 2018, 12:20 AM. Reason: Added the "Money Shot" photo, as well as a couple of others.

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          This Kansas Creekstone 16 pound packer was voted as the best ever.
          Perfect pull, perfect drape, incredibly moist flat (One eater mentioned having to use napkins the flat was so moist) Going to buy more from them. I will open the top poppet a bit more on the next one for thicker bark.
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; June 9, 2018, 09:57 AM.

• king kielbasa
          king kielbasa commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow nice brisket bill why did you sear it with the flame thrower before smoking it ?

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          I am pushing the umami in my brisket higher and higher. That is just one of the "tweaks". Searing will add over 100 new flavor compounds to the surface from what I have read. My customers were enthusiastic BEFORE I started these new processes. They are now "freaking out".

BBQ_Bill nice!!!! Love the searing station. At this time it is up to 195. Counting down the hours.....

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks DuckinBBQ and Livermoron
          I LUV this new searing station. My "fried" hands and hairless forearms are happier too as I was using my Weber Kettle before. The rendering fat would flare up badly in that kettle. BTW, 195°F is where I am "Hawking" for doneness, but every Hunk of Meat is different.
          Last edited by BBQ_Bill; June 9, 2018, 09:59 AM.

BBQ_Bill Finally, the clod has landed, 1:37am...........

Name:	IMG_0301.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	510194

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Daaaaaaang! That looks killer. How was it?

• DuckinBBQ
          DuckinBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker
          It was good. Just over 17 hours in the KBQ hot box. It was worth it!!!!

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh man. I bet it was spectacular! DuckinBBQ

Smoked this brisket at 250 degrees for 13 hours yesterday using white oak. Turned out great.
        Attached Files

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow!!! that’s all I got.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I could see you Howlin' at the desert moon, Bill! BBQ_Bill

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Yet ANOTHER "Lucky" 13 hours of smoke! Sweeet!

Something about great meat Spinaker
        I recall sitting around a nice Mesquite fire at Elk camp.
        It was my son's 1st hunt.
        I had a nice calf hanging in our designated tree.
        Went and cut a chunk off, put it on a stick, and started roasting it over the open flames.
        Sprinkled on some Lawry's seasoned salt, black pepper, and added a dash of garlic powder.
        As my son and I ate that delicious meat, sipped on cold beer and were totally enjoying the moment, a pack of yotes started yipping as they chased a rabbit somewhere off in the cold nights darkness.
        -
        My son and I started doing just that... howling at the desert moon.
        Wonderful memories my friend.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That sounds awesome. Thanks for sharing that one. I can picture it now.

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Funny how things go... my son Jason said, "Dad, this meat is incredible tasting! Can I cut off another hunk?" Sure son, enjoy the harvest! Sez I...
          Years later, he told me that was one of the best memories of his life.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I am sure it was. I have had similar experiences with my father in the Boundary Waters. (Northern Minnesota) BBQ_Bill

Made some St. Louis ribs yesterday and they came out great I luv this kbq . First And second pic is 2 hours no sauce . Used mesquite wood
        Attached Files

Comment

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          I sent my buddy JL a copy of the photo taken at 2 hours in with no sauce.
          He is like me... LUVs the color!

• king kielbasa
          king kielbasa commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you bbq bill !! I only had the bottom poppet open and my temp was fluctuating between 225-255

• BBQ_Bill
          BBQ_Bill commented
          Editing a comment
          Gotcha. Thanks!

Any KBQ owners in the LA area? I haven't pulled the trigger yet—want to see if anyone has found a good local wood source...

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          "Buy it, and logs will come"!

I hate to follow up on my own comment...but I *just* pulled the trigger anyway.

NOW MUST FIND WOOD

Comment

• Sacred Smoke BBQ
          Sacred Smoke BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          The woodshed in Orange is the best around here. They custom cut their wood for free. Just talk to them by phone so it will be ready when you get there because sometimes it may be a few hours wait for a custom cut. Red oak is what is plentiful to us here in California and it was by far my favorite in the kbq (best smell of all the wood I tried). Good luck and enjoy

• Cutestory
          Cutestory commented
          Editing a comment
          Sacred Smoke BBQ what size should I ask for from them?

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          less than 10" long and figure around 3-4" diameter/thickness. But you may want to get a Kindling Cracker to customize for various situations. Makes it really easy to split pieces.

I found this brisket in my KBQ after 11 hours. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you, Barknanimus Maximus. Nothing but salt and pepper on this beast. Holding now, for incredible slices later.

Name:	F26E70FB-8AE5-4E41-A8BC-222A0193498B.jpeg
Views:	356
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	520939Click image for larger version

Name:	F46D0656-DF31-4F51-A0CB-9747DF62D85D.jpeg
Views:	367
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	520937Click image for larger version

Name:	F46D0656-DF31-4F51-A0CB-9747DF62D85D.jpeg
Views:	332
Size:	101.7 KB
ID:	520940
        Attached Files

Comment

Okay Spinaker, I am truly baffled...
        What is the ambient temperature there where you smoked this gorgeous hunk of beef?
        And...
        What temperature did you run the KBQ at?
        And...
        What wood did you use?
        And...
        Did you guard the tray holes and, and...

Comment

• hogdog6
          hogdog6 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ditto

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here