Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KBQ ~ has landed

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm expecting a scam.... but how can they make money on me? If they don't deliver I'll get paid back. badf00d - how did they try and scam you? I guess they could try and scam Amazon... If I get a call asking for more info or a card number or something then I will know....

Comment

Yep - too good to be true....
      Hello Steve Vance,

We're writing to inform you that your order has been canceled. We're sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. In most cases, you pay for items when we ship them to you, so you won't be charged for items that are canceled.*
      Order Details
      Order #116-2465198-4213810

Placed on Monday, September 19, 2016

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        So whatever ended up happening here?

Spinaker they (Amazon) canceled the order - only reason given was for "technical problem" - it was a scam.... they took it down and there was another scam listing posted almost immediately - can't blame a guy for trying though... I'm always looking for a deal...

Comment

• badf00d
        badf00d commented
        Editing a comment
        Your listing read almost exactly like the one I saw, but with a different email address.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        So we've come full circle......when are you getting your KBQ?

Spinaker I just got back from the grocery - getting some more beef short ribs so I can correct the mistakes I made this weekend. I was worried about a source for wood for the thing. The grocery is only 3-4 miles, and almost on the way is a place I had past for years without really noticing it called Alabama Forest products. They process wood, but I figured it was probably only wholesale. I go in there and they do sell to the public. In fact they have 2 large piles of scrap stuff actually outside the gate that is pretty much the perfect size. One is Oak and one is Hickory - 8 cents a pound. Not much fruit wood down here in Alabama. But it's almost like it has been preordained that I need to do this. So before I think of some other reason not to I'm just going to do it! - There - clicked on Meatheads Amazon link and done. ..................... No remorse..... yet....

Comment

• slvance
        slvance commented
        Editing a comment
        EdF courage for pulling finally pulling the trigger, or for being will to burn myself to death :=)

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, my wife is ok with the KBQ, but wants me to wait until we move next year. :-(

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Why wait? The KBQ is portable, I take it places all the time.

Having some leftover KBQ beef ribs. Vacuumed I'm smoke day, as fresh as off the smoker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	KBQ beef.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	362089

Cauliflower mash....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160920_152424.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	362090
      Last edited by Ernest; August 13, 2017, 06:58 PM.

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you reheat the ribs in a SV bath?

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        slvance yep, cauliflower mash with some broccoli.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        Breadhead YESSIR!

Ernest That looks awfully good. Can I ask for some advice? I just bought a rack of beef short ribs to cook tomorrow to try and repair all the mistakes I made on Sunday. Looking at your picture it appears you don't remove all the fat off the tops.Do you remove the silverskin? Would you mind sharing how you typically make yours? Do you do want thing special with the rub? Cooking temp - done temp - ?? resting time - anything I can get would be helpful if you have the time. Thanks in advance. (I hope this is not the same as asking a man to "flip his meat" )

Comment

Beautiful! Ernest

Comment

Spinaker I can't update my signature until the KBQ gets here... I don't want to anger the Barbecue Gods. I did not even think about asking the wood people about any treating. They are processing raw trees there so I don't see how that could be. But I know nothing about this stuff so probably a good idea to ask.

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Just have some meat to smoke and some wood to burn!

slvance I get the meat out of the package, rinse and dry. Season with my rub (1 Cup kosher salt, 2 tablespoons ground black peppercorns mixed with allspice corns, 1 tablespoon granulated garlic and 1 teaspoon chipotle powder). I make a batch and use as my daily seasoning. Leave that on overnight.
          Smoke at 225 until probe tender. Costco ones are Prime so they are done at around 185 degrees. Some lower quality may go up to 200 degrees.

Notice I didn't mention any trimming. I don't trim any. I'm on a ketogenic journey, I eat mostly fat.
          There's no special tricks to it. Just very basic BBQ, but the results are top notch.
          Come to think of it, I haven't used any fancy rubs since my second KBQ cook, September of 2015.
          My best advice is to contact KBQ and join us. LOL!!

Comment

Ernest thanks very much for the advice.... I'm not sure if this is prime or not - Publix Grocery - I'll ask next time I am in there. I'll prep it tonight. Do you put it in cold from the fridge or let it sit some? I've heard it 2 ways - put it in cold to boost the smoke ring or let it get to room temp so the muscle is not tight? Oh - and I did join you - bought a KBQ today... thanks again...

Comment

slvance That's great news!
              I actually place mine in the freezer while I prep the KBQ. Goes in COLD, straight from the freezer.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I do the same. Works like a charm.

Waiting for DWCowles to join this KBQ movement.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Not seeing this happening anytime soon. DW is too traditional for the KBQ. That Rec Tec he has is an anomaly.

• Koy Schoppe
                Koy Schoppe commented
                Editing a comment
                Wait! He has a Rec Tec.... Mind Blown!!!!

Originally posted by Mpryan View Post
              Here's dinner tonight. A nice cowboy steak. A little over an hour in the KBQ at 265. Then seared[ATTACH=CONFIG]n204841[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n204842[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n204843[/ATTACH]
              NICE Cowboy Steak @Mpryan!!

I also love the Sakura plate; my Ma gave me a coffee cup in that pattern, upon my return from Iraq.

That makes it my favorite, among many. (Probably helps that I still make my coffee in her Corningware 10-cup percolator!!)

Best regards, keep smokin'!!
              Last edited by Mr. Bones; September 20, 2016, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Ernest There is really no "Prime" meat in any grocery stores anymore, at least around here in the "real" south . I can see from your pictures that the stuff you get has way more meat on top as well. I'm not a Costco member cause the store is a drive from the house - 30 minutes. But my Dad is and I'll ask him to let me know next time he goes and I'll tag along and check out their meat. I make a lot of ribs - mainly baby backs so far - and I have gotten good meat on that from Publix, but the beef ribs don't look too good. Kamado is fired up now and letting the dirty smoke burn off. Rubbed over night with the Ernest rub... have a good one

Comment

• Ernest
                  Ernest commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Best of luck with the cook.

Spinaker i know you said that you use the lodge cast iron grate from the sportsmen on top of the KBQ fire box- do you happen to have grill grates? if so have you tried those on top of the firebox? Anyone else? Ernest I see a lot of weber products - maybe you've tried them. GrillGrate Brad has anyone ever asked you to rig something up for the fire box of the KBQ?

Comment

• Histrix
                  Histrix commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There's a lot of heat at the top of the KBQ firebox. GrillGrates might melt.

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  As I alluded to below, The sportsman Grill grate is the best option for sure. It just a perfect match. Ernest Histrix

• oldsteve
                  oldsteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm afraid my Grill Grates would warp using it on top of the KBQ. The Lodge Sportsman's grate makes a "great" grate thanks to Spinaker's original idea.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here